Author Topic: Clam plate wobble issue?  (Read 22596 times)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Clam plate wobble issue?
« Reply #60 on: Dec 25, 2018, 11:14 AM »
Thats strange. Like i said several times already, my NEW plate wobbles (shakes/vibrates) with two of my hand augers and the other two are absolutely 100% smooth as butter. The two smooth ones have never been used with a drill, the two wobblers i used on the drill before the plate.
So are they all being used with the same Plate and extension? Which 2 Wobble and which 2 do not?
<===Lefty===

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Dec 25, 2018, 11:50 AM »
Thats strange. Like i said several times already, my NEW plate wobbles (shakes/vibrates) with two of my hand augers and the other two are absolutely 100% smooth as butter. The two smooth ones have never been used with a drill, the two wobblers i used on the drill before the plate.

Clearly this is an ID/OD variation between augers. I had to make an attachment for a mora to use on my Ion. If the diameters of all the augers are the same, then its the adapters used.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Dec 25, 2018, 01:18 PM »
Guess I’m one of the lucky ones. I’m not getting this wobble with my ridgid octane, strike master extension, and 8” mora. Everything is tight.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #63 on: Dec 25, 2018, 02:16 PM »
So are they all being used with the same Plate and extension? Which 2 Wobble and which 2 do not?

Id have to double check to be sure but ai think mora 5" and mora 7" wobble. Lazer 6" and mora 8" are smooth. I know for a fact the mora 5" wobbles because i thought there was something wrong with my plate when i assembled it, figured id try the 6 and see if it makes a difference and its night and day. With and without clam adapter.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline strike1st

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Dec 25, 2018, 02:42 PM »
Aluminum Tape for duct work. Tough stuff...that can help tolerance issues. I am considering having a new shaft machi ed. Mine clearly isn't true. I sent clam video...agreed it had wobble but wasnt excessive enough and "it isn't a precision piece of gear". In the video it was only the plate running with no auger andnit was clearly visible. I also am running a 6" nils convertible (orange) auger. Nils replace the auger shaft...bent from the factory. So now I am down to tolerance stacking between clam plate, auger adapter and auger, hence the aluminun tape. I paid 64 bucks for the clam plate and will be highly cautious or avoid clam products...Not worth it. For the record my Dad has an older clam plate and runs a 4 and a 6 inch laser super smooth...Probably Just going to run my Nils off the drill...almost Zero wobble that way.
"All men have fears, but the brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death, but always to victory" motto of the King's Guard in ancient Greece.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Dec 25, 2018, 03:33 PM »
Still waiting for a wobble video!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #66 on: Dec 25, 2018, 03:54 PM »
Still waiting for a wobble video!
I would give you one but I took the drill off the plate and will not use it again that way. So no I wont waste my time putting it back on when I know I wont use it.
<===Lefty===

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Dec 25, 2018, 04:34 PM »
I would give you one but I took the drill off the plate and will not use it again that way. So no I wont waste my time putting it back on when I know I wont use it.

Send it to me, I'll make a video once my Ridgid comes in.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #68 on: Dec 25, 2018, 04:58 PM »
Sure $60 Plus Shipping. Just Pm me your address.
<===Lefty===

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Dec 25, 2018, 05:42 PM »
Sure $60 Plus Shipping. Just Pm me your address.

I swear I just saw them going for $50 just days ago and now they're $67..I'll give you 40 for yours, since it's clearly defective.  @)

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Dec 25, 2018, 05:51 PM »
I swear I just saw them going for $50 just days ago and now they're $67..I'll give you 40 for yours, since it's clearly defective.  @)

I'll bid $25 including shipping.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Dec 25, 2018, 05:52 PM »
I'll bid $25 including shipping.

You can't bid 25 if I started at 40!

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Dec 25, 2018, 05:54 PM »
You can't bid 25 if I started at 40!

Sure I can,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I just did.   ;D
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Dec 25, 2018, 06:20 PM »
The Milwaukee/Mora/Clamplate has been a home run for myself and dozens of other guys I have personally assembled them for. I still say its the Rigid drill/chuck.... something is binding. I haven't found one Clam plate yet thats the wobble culprit on any of the Milwaukee's/Mora/Clamplate augers I have built. There is always a learning curve when something new comes along. There is NO WAY I would ever run a 1000+ in/lb drill on a shaver type auger without a plate. History repeats itself and heres one to ponder.... Some of the early gas augers only had 1 side handle to hold on to it with,  you won't find ANY modern gassers that dont have 2 sturdy points to hang on to and steady yourself and the auger while drilling, why do you suppose that is??? Its not about how tough, macho or "I know how to run a cordless drill" you are..... these new brushless drills ARE NOT TOYS. For those that are too smart not to respect a power tool there will be a number of wrenched/broken wrists, elbows and shoulders etc etc etc.... Let the learning curve begin.....

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #74 on: Dec 25, 2018, 06:41 PM »
The Milwaukee/Mora/Clamplate has been a home run for myself and dozens of other guys I have personally assembled them for. I still say its the Rigid drill/chuck.... something is binding. I haven't found one Clam plate yet thats the wobble culprit on any of the Milwaukee's/Mora/Clamplate augers I have built. There is always a learning curve when something new comes along. There is NO WAY I would ever run a 1000+ in/lb drill on a shaver type auger without a plate. History repeats itself and heres one to ponder.... Some of the early gas augers only had 1 side handle to hold on to it with,  you won't find ANY modern gassers that dont have 2 sturdy points to hang on to and steady yourself and the auger while drilling, why do you suppose that is??? Its not about how tough, macho or "I know how to run a cordless drill" you are..... these new brushless drills ARE NOT TOYS. For those that are too smart not to respect a power tool there will be a number of wrenched/broken wrists, elbows and shoulders etc etc etc.... Let the learning curve begin.....
right on ill run a wobbly ridgid/clam plate before i tweak myself running a 8” mora that binds when hand drilling let alone running just the drill and handle.ive got a 1 armed bandit jiffy so i know sheet can happen.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #75 on: Dec 25, 2018, 07:13 PM »
Since I have 2 bids. Which half of the plate do you want?
<===Lefty===

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #76 on: Dec 25, 2018, 07:15 PM »
right on ill run a wobbly ridgid/clam plate before i tweak myself running a 8” mora that binds when hand drilling let alone running just the drill and handle.ive got a 1 armed bandit jiffy so i know sheet can happen.

Right on! The old eskimos werent much safer! Pop that Rigid into high gear and you can have one too

EYECONICFISHING

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Dec 26, 2018, 09:11 AM »
There may be an issue with the current stock of plates, or your just being too picky. People have been talking about some level of wobble since the plates came out, but they work fine.
Sure, you can use your auger without the plate, its just more ergonomic/safer with it.  Just make sure to be very careful with it, as there is certainly a learning curve.  don’t let others “just give it a try”  without seeing how it’s done and with detailed instructions, especially if your auger can catch on breakthrough.

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #78 on: Dec 26, 2018, 12:07 PM »
Upon review of my clam plate and rigid drill combo I have come to a conclusion.  My inspection found the bearing on the plate to have a little play in it.  The shaft is fairly tight and tolerable of play.  My conclusion is that it is just the bearing play.  Maybe it's a cheaper bearing I do not know.  Maybe you can buy a higher grade bearing, I am not.  If it wears out I have a place local that will be able to find some thing better but until then it's going drill as is for me.  That's just my take on this. Others may have a different issue but that is mine on my plate
<br />

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #79 on: Dec 26, 2018, 12:14 PM »
Even if the shaft was slightly loose in the bearing, that wouldnt CAUSE a wobble.. it would ALLOW a wobble. Something else has to be causing it... bent auger, drill not mounted straight, drilling at an angle, something has to make that shaft WANT to wobble for it to be ABLE to wobble. Does that make sense??? Unless the shaft in the clam plate is bent as well as having some bearing play, which I dont see how could be the case when they are lathe produced and hardened steel.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #80 on: Dec 26, 2018, 12:19 PM »
Anyone that has a wobbler, can you do something when you get a chance.. can you unhook your drill support while leaving the shaft chucked in the drill. Then carefully squeeze the trigger making sure to not nut shot yourself. See if it still wobbles. If it still wobbles can you take the shaft out of the plate (with the C clip on top) and chuck it back in the drill and try again. I'm suspecting that as soon as you unhook the drill from supports the wobble will be gone. If it wobbles every time its either the clam shaft or the auger.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Dec 26, 2018, 12:31 PM »
Even if the shaft was slightly loose in the bearing, that wouldnt CAUSE a wobble.. it would ALLOW a wobble. Something else has to be causing it... bent auger, drill not mounted straight, drilling at an angle, something has to make that shaft WANT to wobble for it to be ABLE to wobble. Does that make sense??? Unless the shaft in the clam plate is bent as well as having some bearing play, which I dont see how could be the case when they are lathe produced and hardened steel.

That is all correct^

I think most of these wobbles are not wobbles, just wobbly wrists and arms..

When you spin an unbalanced bit that weighs pounds, it's going to shake the entire rig including the person running it. Nobody is strong enough to stop this action, because it's happening at the end of a four foot lever.. 

Also it seems to be coming from slop in the joints. Being exaggerated by inadvertantly jamming every next piece to the same side.

In other words..

Most of these rigs folks are complaining about, are wobbling as much as any washing machine in spin cycle with an unbalanced load..

<°)))>{

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #82 on: Dec 26, 2018, 12:42 PM »
Im over the wobble debate..im running it as soon as i can.i understand its not a machine tolerance piece of equipment.as long as it doesnt walk the bit all over, gets holes cut and keeps my wrist from tweaking its doing it $60 job.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #83 on: Dec 26, 2018, 12:43 PM »
i have mine out of the plate and put it into the drill and ran it slowly, it wobbles.
i added the clam extension to the clam shaft that is not on the plate and it wobbles big time!!

installing it all back the plate has no change on the amount of wobble.

it has nothing to do with arms or wrists (that's crazy) or drill. the shaft is bent for certain. i have said it many times now that i turned the shaft by hand it is bent and wobbles when you turn it with any thing.

i might give clam a call and see if they care to send a straight one. just because mine is for sale on the for sale board i wouln't want the next owner to get hurt from an auger walking into a boot ;)

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #84 on: Dec 26, 2018, 12:46 PM »
That is all correct^

I think most of these wobbles are not wobbles, just wobbly wrists and arms..

When you spin an unbalanced bit that weighs pounds, it's going to shake the entire rig including the person running it. Nobody is strong enough to stop this action, because it's happening at the end of a four foot lever.. 

Also it seems to be coming from slop in the joints. Being exaggerated by inadvertantly jamming every next piece to the same side.

In other words..

Most of these rigs folks are complaining about, are wobbling as much as any washing machine in spin cycle with an unbalanced load..

<°)))>{

Exactly, so the clam plate is not CAUSING the wobble like people are wanting to think. The wobble is most likely there, your arm just absorbs it.. but when you attach it to the plate, your arms no longer absorb it and you feel/see the wobble. A bent auger is most likely causing it. I have two of them here that do it.... and two that are smooth as butter. I'm guessing the torque from the drill on the auger when drilling at an angle without the plate has bent the auger shafts in my case.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #85 on: Dec 26, 2018, 12:49 PM »
i have mine out of the plate and put it into the drill and ran it slowly, it wobbles.
i added the clam extension to the clam shaft that is not on the plate and it wobbles big time!!

installing it all back the plate has no change on the amount of wobble.

it has nothing to do with arms or wrists (that's crazy) or drill. the shaft is bent for certain. i have said it many times now that i turned the shaft by hand it is bent and wobbles when you turn it with any thing.

i might give clam a call and see if they care to send a straight one. just because mine is for sale on the for sale board i wouln't want the next owner to get hurt from an auger walking into a boot ;)

As dumb as it sounds, have you tried another drill? I had a drill once that had a bent chuck. Couldnt see or tell it until you drilled a hole in metal, it made a slightly oblong hole. That was the first drill I tried on the auger and it wobbled like crazy (essentially a 4' long bit on the end). Bought a new drill ($50 ryobi p251) and its smooth as butter.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #86 on: Dec 26, 2018, 12:53 PM »
What I am saying is the only wobble in mine is the bearing it's self.  It is not enough for me to change anything.  I said others may be something else but my observation was the bearing it's self is loose in it's own housing but it's so little that I am not going to worry about it
<br />

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #87 on: Dec 26, 2018, 01:17 PM »
kevin, i did say turning it by hand has the same affect as with the drill, i did go ahead and use a different drill i use all of the time and it does the same exact thing. it is bent for certain.

yes there is play or slop or looseness in the bearing and shaft to bearing, but that is ok. adding length to the bent shaft amplifies the amount of wobble or movement from the the bent shaft.

i have no idea on those who have decided to quit using theirs is because of the same bent shaft issue clam is putting out. i will capture their bar code for reference.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #88 on: Dec 26, 2018, 01:22 PM »
If you have an actual bent shaft within the plate, that is a defective product and not normal.. I would demand a warranty replacement from clam. Can't judge the whole system on a defective product! I really really doubt most of these wobbles are due to the same issue you have.. Im guessing most are like mine and just a bent auger.. way easier to find an auger that is not perfectly straight than a defective shaft in the clam plate.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #89 on: Dec 26, 2018, 01:26 PM »
Anyone that has a wobbler, can you do something when you get a chance.. can you unhook your drill support while leaving the shaft chucked in the drill. Then carefully squeeze the trigger making sure to not nut shot yourself. See if it still wobbles. If it still wobbles can you take the shaft out of the plate (with the C clip on top) and chuck it back in the drill and try again. I'm suspecting that as soon as you unhook the drill from supports the wobble will be gone. If it wobbles every time its either the clam shaft or the auger.
Here you go. I took the shaft out of the clam plate and mounted it to the drill As you can see it wobbles a lot and you can feel it while holding the drill. SO I tried it with out the clam Extension and it spins smooth. I then took the Clam Extension and ran it on a table and found the extension is bent. IT had to come this way because it always wobbled badly. I am going to contact Clam and see what they will do for me. I will try and send them the video I am uploading to Youtube. 
&feature=youtu.be
<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.