Author Topic: VENISON LOGS  (Read 22820 times)

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
VENISON LOGS
« on: Feb 07, 2018, 10:21 AM »
Its not fish, but I'm guessing I'm not the only person with ground Venison in the freezer who may be looking for new recipes.

I got this sausage recipe from a co worker and thought I would post it here for anyone that would like to try it.

Ingredients:
2 Lbs. Ground Venison
1 Lbs. Ground Pork (Do not substitute pork sausage)
2 TBS. Liquid Smoke
1/3 Cup of Cold Water
3 TBS.  Morton’s Tender Quick Home Meat Cure
1 TBS.  Garlic Salt
1 TBS.  Onion Powder
1 TBS.  Coarsely Ground Black Pepper
2 TBS.  Mustard Seeds
1 TBS.  Crushed Red Pepper

1) Place the ground venison and ground pork in a large mixing bowl.
2) Mix the water and liquid smoke together and pour over the meat.
3) Sprinkle dry ingredients over meat.
4) Mix with your hands until all ingredients are very well incorporated.

5) Cover and chill in your refrigerator for 24 hours.
6) Uncover and mix very well again.

7) Heat oven to 325 degrees.
8) Equally divide meat mixture into 3 balls.
9) Evenly roll each ball into a “Venison log” approximately 12 inches long by 2 inches in diameter.
10) Place the logs on a broiler pan and bake for 1 hour (160 degrees internal temperature)

11) Pat each log with paper towels to help remove any excess grease.
12) Place on wire cooling rack.
13) Dab with paper towels while cooling if needed to remove any excess grease.

Once cooled, wrap well and keep chilled. Can be frozen.

Slice and serve with cheese and crackers, fresh fruit, condiments or my favorite, just by itself.

Note:  I have used ground sirloin with great results when no venison was available.

Good Luck All  :tipup:

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Venison Logs
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2018, 10:36 AM »
That looks awesome......    :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2018, 10:41 AM »
Look delicious!

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2018, 10:43 AM »
Gotta give this one a try! Thanks for sharing
The hardest part of ice fishing is casting!

Early to bed, early to rise
fish all day and make up lies!

Offline littlemelon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2018, 02:27 PM »
Hi,
Dad,mom and I did something like that a few years ago.
It was very good and went fast.

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2018, 03:13 PM »
I make one quite similar but I add some diced jalapeno and shredded cheddar cheese
The more I fish, the less I know about fishing...
Send me a PM if you'd like info about how I built my ice shack

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2018, 05:52 AM »
I just saw this. Yum :thumbsup:

WS

Offline adkiceman1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2018, 04:08 PM »
I’m going to try this asap
I’m feeling alright, I’m feeling ooooookay! - moe.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2018, 04:27 PM »
This just sounds amazing, can't wait to try it
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline lipripr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2018, 01:35 PM »
Made a batch this morning using elk. Turned out awesome, very tasty!
Thanks for recipe!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2018, 06:46 PM »
If you want to improve on the recipe, ditch the tender quick (it's used for tenderizing whole muscle meat, not ground). The final product will be much less salty and better for you. Pink Salt is what you want for ground meat.

Besides, most recipes call for 1-1.5 TEASPOONS per pound of GROUND meat, and 1 TABLESPOON for whole meat. Since its made for a whole meat application, it's hard to "guess" how much to really use with ground.

Also, since I don't see it noted here.. this product has NO PRESERVATIVES, curing is NOT PRESERVING. So eat it in 4 days or freeze it. You could vac seal it and probably be good for a week in the fridge. Seen a few people go to the ER after eating homemade deer sticks that they thought could sit in the fridge for a month.

If you REALLY want to make some good trail bologna (what you made), look for the LEM Backwoods brand seasonings.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2018, 09:11 PM »
Thanks for the input, but I am confused on a few of your statements.

My understanding is that curing meat by definition is a way to preserve meat by the addition of salt, nitrates, and nitrites.

I thought Salting, Smoking, and Drying were all methods of preserving.

I like Venison Logs over Trail Bologna, but either way its a type of sausage.

I looked on Morton's website and they state that Morton's Tender Quick is a preserving agent and not a tenderizer.

They also list several recipes that include using Morton's tender Quick with ground meat.
On the first recipe they call for 1 1/2 teaspoons of tender quick plus 1 teaspoon of table salt per pound of ground meat.

Here is the link:  http://www.mortonsalt.com/article/meat-curing-recipes/

Personally I like the recipe but I do agree it may be a bit heavy on the salt.

I also agree that proper refrigeration, cooking temps, food prep and other best methods of cooking are important.

The best part of conflicting information is that it gives us a chance to dig and do some research.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2018, 10:13 AM »
I use a similar recipe but put the meat in collagen casings and smoke to a internal 165 degree temperature. I just use the tender quick and no salt. 1 1/2 teaspoons per lb. This makes sure no botulism takes place but it doesn't cure the meat. I've kept it for a couple weeks in the refrigerator but it's bet to vacuum pack and freeze.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Feb 19, 2018, 04:25 PM »
Thanks for the input, but I am confused on a few of your statements.

My understanding is that curing meat by definition is a way to preserve meat by the addition of salt, nitrates, and nitrites.

I thought Salting, Smoking, and Drying were all methods of preserving.

I like Venison Logs over Trail Bologna, but either way its a type of sausage.

I looked on Morton's website and they state that Morton's Tender Quick is a preserving agent and not a tenderizer.

They also list several recipes that include using Morton's tender Quick with ground meat.
On the first recipe they call for 1 1/2 teaspoons of tender quick plus 1 teaspoon of table salt per pound of ground meat.

Here is the link:  http://www.mortonsalt.com/article/meat-curing-recipes/

Personally I like the recipe but I do agree it may be a bit heavy on the salt.

I also agree that proper refrigeration, cooking temps, food prep and other best methods of cooking are important.

The best part of conflicting information is that it gives us a chance to dig and do some research.

You are curing the meat, not preserving. Look at the back of a slim jim at all the nasty chemicals- those are in there to preserve it so it can sit on the shelf for a year. You don't want any part of this! The native americans used to cut their meat into thin strips (no refrigeration) and lay them over sticks above their fire to smoke them. Then put them in rawhide bags (again, no refrigeration or sanitation) and consume later. They were technically preserving the meat for later, but they also had a life expectancy of 30. Now we use smokers and still can't keep jerky from going bad quickly. I believe they just ate the rancid stuff enough that their guts could handle it.

Tender quick is a curing agent, I misspoke and had "tender" in my mind so I put tenderizer by mistake. They are stretching it saying preserving agent, but I'm sure it is used as such along with other ingredients.

1 1/2 tsp for ground is what most people use. I cannot believe your logs are not very salty with the recipe being 3x that! I made a batch of trail bologna with it once and could barely eat it, which is why i went to pink salt and have had no issues. I use it for everything from smoked sausage to snack sticks, to bologna, to summer sausage.

I have 15lbs of deer sticks in the smoker as I am typing this, all of the cured meats are pretty much the same thing just with a slight alteration in spices and stuffed in different casings. These are with LEM backwoods jerky seasonings and stuffed into 21mm casings. But again, all of this smoked cured meat is NOT PRESERVED! It's good for about 4 days in a ziplock bag, a week to a week and a half in a vacuum sealed bag in the fridge, and well over a year vacuum sealed and in the freezer. I vac seal these sticks the day after I smoke them into serving size packs. They taste the same when thawed, the casings just get soft. Your logs should not change at all after being frozen.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2018, 06:30 PM »

You are curing the meat, not preserving. Look at the back of a slim jim at all the nasty chemicals- those are in there to preserve it so it can sit on the shelf for a year. You don't want any part of this! The native americans used to cut their meat into thin strips (no refrigeration) and lay them over sticks above their fire to smoke them. Then put them in rawhide bags (again, no refrigeration or sanitation) and consume later. They were technically preserving the meat for later, but they also had a life expectancy of 30. Now we use smokers and still can't keep jerky from going bad quickly. I believe they just ate the rancid stuff enough that their guts could handle it.

Tender quick is a curing agent, I misspoke and had "tender" in my mind so I put tenderizer by mistake. They are stretching it saying preserving agent, but I'm sure it is used as such along with other ingredients.

1 1/2 tsp for ground is what most people use. I cannot believe your logs are not very salty with the recipe being 3x that! I made a batch of trail bologna with it once and could barely eat it, which is why i went to pink salt and have had no issues. I use it for everything from smoked sausage to snack sticks, to bologna, to summer sausage.

I have 15lbs of deer sticks in the smoker as I am typing this, all of the cured meats are pretty much the same thing just with a slight alteration in spices and stuffed in different casings. These are with LEM backwoods jerky seasonings and stuffed into 21mm casings. But again, all of this smoked cured meat is NOT PRESERVED! It's good for about 4 days in a ziplock bag, a week to a week and a half in a vacuum sealed bag in the fridge, and well over a year vacuum sealed and in the freezer. I vac seal these sticks the day after I smoke them into serving size packs. They taste the same when thawed, the casings just get soft. Your logs should not change at all after being frozen.

I have checked numerous resources. If you check the Internet, with coworkers, a Butcher or even your local Smokehouse, they will all tell you that the very definition of Cured Meat, Salted Meat, Smoked Meat or Dehydrated meat is a process used to preserve meat.

This of course does not mean that it should not be kept refrigerated, handled properly, or that it will last forever. It will however extend the shelf life.

I agree Slim Jims and other convenience store meats that are kept at room temperature may be full of chemical preservatives to accomplish this and they may last more than a year.

“Morton Tender Quick mix contains salt, the main preserving agent; sugar, both sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite, curing agents that also contribute to development of color and flavor; and propylene glycol to keep the mixture uniform.”

Some preserved meats will last longer than others, depending on the meat and the method in which it was preserved.

I think we will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Good luck all  :tipup:

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 2018, 08:55 PM »
I'll chip in on this. Imagine your surprise... ;)2

Got involved a few decades ago with an established neighborhood group making venison summer sausage. Crude business to start. All mixed by hand on a "sanitized" table, turned into a leaky cast iron stuffer and squeezed out into casings for cold smoking. Yep, you heard right cold. This stuff never sees higher than 120F max and usually is held to 100F or less. This year it was done in 56 hours. Used to think venison sausage was a waste of perfectly good fresh meat but no more.

'Bout 10 - 11 years ago, after I'd become very comfortable with the process my buddy (the sausage wizard) asked me if I knew why it was called "summer sausage". I said, "I dunno" (if you can imagine that). He told me that this recipe was designed to be made during the hunting season and last through the summer without refrigeration. "What??? No way!", I said. He took a stick of sausage fresh from the smokehouse and hung it on a nail in the garage. "We'll eat that next year when you come up to make sausage", he said.

"Right", I'm thinking, "I wanna die young."

Well next year rolled around and we all assembled for the annual ritual and Bill took the sausage off the nail and pounded it on the counter. "Whadda ya think?" he asked.

"I think if you hit someone with that you'd kill 'em", I said. And you would have... I observed it was all white on the out side and called "mold!". He said wet your finger, wipe it and taste. Tell me again. Of course, it was salt. This thing started out as a 2.5" diameter sausage and by the following December, unrefrigerated, it could have been sliced for pepperoni. We ate the whole stick. Very different from "fresh smoked" but very good in it's own way. We've done this every year since with no one getting sick.

Very simple recipe:

Willard’s Surprise Summer Sausage

This is the recipe we have come to use in making venison summer sausage. It is based on an old (old) family recipe from the Ashippun, Wisconsin area and is best cold smoked. This base recipe makes 25# of sausage. Use 60% venison and 40% lean pork (that's 15# venison and 10# pork per batch). We've also used 100% lean beef (like ground round) or beef and pork in the same ratio as venison to pork.

1 cup kosher salt

1/3 cup sugar

1/3 cup black pepper (you can double pepper if you like it like that)

1 tsp pink cure

2 tsp ground coriander

1 tsp ground thyme

Options (for 25# batch):

5 tsp garlic

1/3 cup mustard seed

I have added 1 Tb Habanero powder for hot sausage About 1 tsp per 10# is average heat.

Combine all the dry ingredients thoroughly. Add to mixed meat and mix. When partially integrated add one cup of cold water and finish mixing very well. Allow to stand for 30 minutes to 2 hours (it'll stiffen up considerably). Load the stuffer and put into 2.5" casings. let hang overnight to dry, place in a cool/warm smokehouse until color is through the stick, usually 2 - 3 days. Pull and hang for another 5 - 20 days depending on the dryness desired. Wrap and freeze.

Or, pull some fresh sausage, make a patty and fry in a pan. Very different and very good.

What have I learned? Salt, sugar and smoke all contribute to a "cure". We use the pink salt because we can and it doesn't hurt a thing plus adding an extra margin of safety. You can eat raw venison and raw pork unrefrigerated a year later and be perfectly fine. I'd call it preserved, maybe even "mummified".

So, what you read and what you think you know may now be up for examination. When someone told me this 30 years ago I thought they were nuts. Now, I know better. What's changed? Got a real motorized meat mixer, a nice F. Dick 30# stuffer and a hog ring pliers. Real 20th century stuff... :thumbsup: Other than that,it's still Old World sausage.

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 20, 2018, 05:13 AM »
Thanks for chipping in esox_xtm,

Wow a year later, now that is some shelf life, and now I know why its called summer sausage.

My grandfather used to cure, smoke and hang bacon slabs in the basement and never had a problem.

I will have to try your recipe, never used Habanero powder before.

Good Luck All :tipup:   

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 2018, 07:05 AM »
Thanks for reminding me of this Joe. I've seen similar stuff before and always intended to try it but then I forget.

If you like hot a teaspoon of the habanero per 8# still is not too hot for even "polite company" unless they're very sensitive to heat. If you're looking for heat it's just right without overdoing it. Do be cautious with the powder, it tends to drift around and burn whatever it touches. Get some on face then rub your eyes. Won't hurt ya, just feels like it does.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Feb 20, 2018, 11:23 AM »
That sounds like a great recipe esox. REAL summer sausage, pepperoni, and various other meats have been preserved that way for years. But like you said, very different than the "meat log" or anything I make.

You don't need to bring meat up to the 165 internal temp, lots of guys cold smoke sausages. As long as you have the proper PH and salinity, the bacteria will be killed. Pepperoni is smoked at about 100 degrees and then left to dry out for weeks to months. But that takes knowledge of what you are doing, for the home chef, bring it to 165- especially if you add any store purchased fat or meat.  ;)
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 20, 2018, 05:01 PM »
That sounds like a great recipe esox. REAL summer sausage, pepperoni, and various other meats have been preserved that way for years. But like you said, very different than the "meat log" or anything I make.

You don't need to bring meat up to the 165 internal temp, lots of guys cold smoke sausages. As long as you have the proper PH and salinity, the bacteria will be killed. Pepperoni is smoked at about 100 degrees and then left to dry out for weeks to months. But that takes knowledge of what you are doing, for the home chef, bring it to 165- especially if you add any store purchased fat or meat.  ;)

Yes it does sound great, and hanging on the wall for a year certainly does make it very different than “Fresh Smoked”.

I completely agree that proper levels of salt, nitrite and nitrate will kill Botulinum and a host of other nasty things. Regardless if it’s cold smoked, hot smoked or not smoked. And meat with lower PH levels can help with nitrite burn if it’s an issue.

You may not use Morton’s Tender Quick and prefer Pink Salt instead. Which is fine, to each their own, but the ingredients are very similar.
Of course pink salts contain more nitrites and nitrates so less is required, but a lot of the recipes I've seen also call for added table salt along with the pink salt.

Tender Quick contains: Salt, sugar, sodium nitrite, sodium nitrate, and propylene glycol.

Pink Salt Cure #1 contains: Salt, sodium nitrite, and FD & C Red #3

Pink Salt Cure #2 contains: Salt, sodium nitrite, sodium nitrate, and FD & C Red #3

At least it sounds like we are starting to agree on some things. :woot:

Good Luck all  :tipup:

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 04, 2018, 07:36 PM »
One venison patty, grill along side thin sliced ham and top patty with cheddar cheese and hot ham.  Sandwich it with mayo, chile sauce inside toasted sour dough bread.  Forget sausage.

Offline Mikepb1987

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Mar 15, 2018, 05:31 PM »
Wow I might have to grind up the rest of my venison to try this out

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #22 on: Mar 15, 2018, 06:01 PM »
I have made it 3-4 times, had to double the batch last time!!

Offline Walleyewacker007

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 17, 2018, 11:33 AM »
Awesome thread here! Love me some smoked meats. I would avoid any nitrates or nitrites, these are linked to colorectal cancer.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #24 on: Mar 18, 2018, 02:27 PM »
Awesome thread here! Love me some smoked meats. I would avoid any nitrates or nitrites, these are linked to colorectal cancer.

As far as the nitrates/nitrites go I wouldn't be too alarmed unless you're eating good amounts of this stuff everyday. I eat bacon twice a week, cured sausage and hot sticks when I want to. I successfully deferred my first c-scope for an entire decade (till I was 60) and was pronounced "squeaky clean" by the no-sense-of-humor doc. Nothing to even biopsy, see me again in ten years.  :clap:

Or maybe it's just the daily doses of weaponized hot peppers and tequila...  @)

Seriously, it's like HFCS (high fructose corn syrup), not intrinsically evil in and of itself. But you can get too much if you're not mindful of the processed foods you frequent.

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 18, 2018, 02:33 PM »
Nicely done, thanks for sharing!!!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #26 on: Mar 18, 2018, 05:51 PM »
Hey ATC, definitely not gospel, just my 2 cents based on experience. User mileage may vary. Everyone will have their own opinion based on their experience.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #27 on: Mar 18, 2018, 05:57 PM »
Kinda like this:

Grandpa: What the... what the he11 is this?

John: That's lite beer.

Grandpa: Gee, I weigh ninety g**d*** pounds, and you bring me this sloppin' foam?

John: Ariel's got me on a diet because the doc said my cholestorol's a little too high.

Grandpa: Well let me tell you something now, Johnny. Last Thursday, I turned 95 years old. And I never exercised a day in my life. Every morning, I wake up, and I smoke a cigarette. And then I eat five strips of bacon. And for lunch, I eat a bacon sandwich. And for a midday snack?

John: Bacon.

Grandpa: Bacon! A whole d*** plate! And I usually drink my dinner. Now according to all of them flat-belly experts, I should've took a dirt nap like thirty years ago. But each year comes and goes, and I'm still here. Ha! And they keep dyin'. You know? Sometimes I wonder if God forgot about me. Just goes to show you, huh?

John: What?

Grandpa: Huh?

John: Goes to show you what?

Grandpa: Well it just goes... what the he11 are you talkin' about?

John: Well you said you drink beer, you eat bacon and you smoke cigarettes, and you outlive most of the experts.

Grandpa: Yeah?

John: I thought maybe there was a moral.

Grandpa: No, there ain't no moral. I just like that story. That's all. Like that story.

@) ;)2

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Mar 18, 2018, 07:53 PM »
 :bow: :bow: :bow: :clap: :thumbsup: :roflmao:  one of my favorites. I'm only 35 but feel like I belong in that movie! Well said esox
The hardest part of ice fishing is casting!

Early to bed, early to rise
fish all day and make up lies!

Offline Richi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Sep 03, 2018, 08:39 AM »

Looks very tasty :P :P

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.