Author Topic: Deep Creek cloudy water  (Read 1348 times)

Offline CBOYCE1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 25" walleye on 2lb test with a 3mm jig STUD!!!!!
Deep Creek cloudy water
« on: Jan 15, 2018, 09:13 AM »
I fished Sunday and the guy I was fishing with had a camera. He noticed that in the center of the cove the water was murky and couldn’t make out jig 2 feet from the camera. The shallow edges were crystal clear. The murky water was also 1.5 degrees warmer. We are assuming that this is from run off into the cove but seeing how it was just in the deeper areas does this mean that there is some current in these coves. Has anyone else noticed this?  I was fishing in the deeper water and fishing was very slow so I wonder if the off color water turned them off or cut down visibility so they couldn’t see my jig.
If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.

Offline flyfishbowhunticefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Deep Creek cloudy water
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2018, 09:33 AM »
The clear water would have been fresh water seeping in through the edges from the thaw. In reading in-depth outdoor articles this would be the time to target shallows near weed beds where the fresh clean water is at.
Y'all catchin?

Offline Old School

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2018, 03:47 PM »
There are significant currents in DCL, especially near the bridges. Also southern coves, especially Turkey Neck between Yacht Club & Cables.

Offline Jeremy Quick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2018, 03:54 PM »
Yesterday there was a lot of stained water coming in from the creeks

Offline McfishinWV

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2018, 06:37 PM »
I’m the friend Cboyce mentioned in the original post. I was on the ice again yesterday and noticed the cloudy water started around 14ft. I popped a hole at 18ft and noticed it was crystal clear down to 11-12’, then the last 6’ was thick and dirty. Didn’t get near the action in the dirty water but the couple I caught were jumbos. Interesting if nothing else.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.