Author Topic: Loading/Unloading Flip Over issue  (Read 6208 times)

Offline Mocs n Docs

• IceShanty Rookie
Loading/Unloading Flip Over issue
« on: Oct 24, 2019, 09:16 PM »
I picked up a flip over shack last year (first time with a shack of any kind) and I ran into an issue while loading/unloading at the vehicle and I was wondering if anyone else has run into this as well.

When I get to the truck bed with the tailgate down (or SUV with hatchback up) I start with the sled slightly at an angle to the truck, I lift the front of my sled, pivot, and prop it on the edge of the tailgate. I then walk around to the back, lift, and slide the whole thing into the bed. Works slick as snot on blacktop and cement. My problem arises when I am attempting to do this on ice/packed snow. As soon as I let go of the front that is resting on the edge of the tailgate, the back slides out from the ice and the whole thing comes crashing back down to the ground.

Its very easy to load the shack by myself on blacktop but nearly impossible to do alone when there is ice. Does anyone else have this issue and are there any good solutions to this problem?

Thanks in advance!

-Mocs

Offline buuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Loading/Unloading Flip Over issue
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2019, 09:30 PM »
Perhaps you can tie a rope to one of the truck bed anchor loops and then run it along the back of the flipover and through the other loop on the opposite side. Now when you pick up the front, pull the rope tight so that the flipover is cradled by the rope. Keep tension on the rope as you walk around to pick up the other end. This should keep it from sliding off the tailgate.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2019, 10:56 PM »
A short 2 x 10 and just side it up, works great.

Offline Chuck Enwinde

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2019, 01:52 AM »
I have a lifted truck so have to put the hut almost vertical to slide it up in to the bed.  It`s not inclined to slide that way (pun partially intended). 

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2019, 04:41 AM »
I’m a taller guy with a tall truck and anytime I tries to slide a little I just use my foot as a chock at the back of the sled just enough for me to get there. That was until I bolted skis to the bottom of shack and now she goes nowhere if u put the front in first. ::)
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2019, 04:55 AM »

For my pick up
 I bought a ramp kit $20.00 and  load a loaded x2 with no trouble ,  Or you could make something , only use 1 on a 2x6 and the pair to load my wheeler
   a member on here made a device for loading damned  if I can where I saw it

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2019, 05:59 AM »
Put a rope/clip in the bed of the truck to clip to the sled to prevent it from sliding out.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2019, 07:08 AM »
I put the end with the tow rope at the tail gate. use my foot to brace the other end. Use the rope to pull the tub up to the gate. shove it forward and then lift the thing up and slide it into the bed.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Oct 25, 2019, 07:12 AM »
I put the end with the tow rope at the tail gate. use my foot to brace the other end. Use the rope to pull the tub up to the gate. shove it forward and then lift the thing up and slide it into the bed.
Keep it safe! JDL
yep thats how i do it.works pretty good.it was a hassle getting my frabill commando loaded up until I started loading like this.

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 25, 2019, 07:19 AM »
I have a heavy two man and loading it in a tall truck is brutal. Unless someone is with me I will always take my trailer even on early ice without my wheeler. but having any type of trailer that sits lower than the truck is nice to have rather than fighting it up in the bed.

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 25, 2019, 07:22 AM »
I’m a taller guy with a tall truck and anytime I tries to slide a little I just use my foot as a chock at the back of the sled just enough for me to get there. That was until I bolted skis to the bottom of shack and now she goes nowhere if u put the front in first. ::)

X2

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 25, 2019, 08:38 AM »
I use a 5 foot section of 2x10 connected to a 2 foot section of 2x10 via a hinge.  Rest the 2 foot section on the tailgate and angle the 5ft section as a ramp.  My fully loaded nanook slides right up and into the truck bed with no issues.  Makes it easy to load by 1 person.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Oct 25, 2019, 08:58 AM »

Keeps the board from slipping , I put a piece of bunk carpet over the end to save to save on the tub

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Oct 25, 2019, 09:02 AM »
I put a 2500 lb winch on my headache rack with a remote control. I have a 2'wide piece of 3/4" plywood the length of my truck bed and I just suck it in. it works great coming out as well so it doesn't run me over. I generally am unloading on a boat ramp. it also works great for loading dead animals.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Oct 27, 2019, 10:15 AM »
Here is what I built. A couple of PVC pipes held together with wood.  The wood strips fit into the grooves of my flip over, so it doesn't slip side to side.  The whole thing dissembles in appx 1 min.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Oct 27, 2019, 10:17 AM »
Correction:  PVC pipes are spaced to fit into grooves of my flip over. 

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 27, 2019, 12:27 PM »
Keeps the board from slipping , I put a piece of bunk carpet over the end to save to save on the tub

I use these ramps

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 29, 2019, 01:01 PM »
My flip is about 400lbs loaded for a weekend of camping. I drive the whole thing right into the trailer.

Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #18 on: Oct 29, 2019, 01:26 PM »
My flip is about 400lbs loaded for a weekend of camping. I drive the whole thing right into the trailer.

(Image removed from quote.)
Dang I didn’t even think of your solution when I replied to the OP. He probably didn’t realize he could use his trailer instead of he pickup.  ;)
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Oct 29, 2019, 01:55 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

I like your style doctorgee, that is what I need
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Oct 29, 2019, 06:06 PM »
I have an Otter Cabin X-over and that thing with my gear is HEAVY! Way too heavy for me by myself. I have used a single aluminum ATV ramp to pull it in by myslef, but even that can be rough if the truck's on much of an incline which it sometimes is. I found this little winch made by Warn that you attach your cordless drill to. I'm gonna give this a try with my Dewalt, and see if it works well. With the ramp and the winch powered by the drill I'm thinking I will be able to load everything all by myself. I'm getting too old for all of that heavy lifting.

Offline beast

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Oct 29, 2019, 07:59 PM »
I went to Harbor Freight and picked up a winch for $60.00 with a remote, mounted it to a board and fastened it to the front of the truck box  so it can be easily removed, made a small latter ramp out of 2x2's put a eye hook in the front of the sled, and with a push of the button on the remote, the sled loads itself.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 29, 2019, 09:03 PM »
I have an Otter Cabin X-over and that thing with my gear is HEAVY! Way too heavy for me by myself. I have used a single aluminum ATV ramp to pull it in by myslef, but even that can be rough if the truck's on much of an incline which it sometimes is. I found this little winch made by Warn that you attach your cordless drill to. I'm gonna give this a try with my Dewalt, and see if it works well. With the ramp and the winch powered by the drill I'm thinking I will be able to load everything all by myself. I'm getting too old for all of that heavy lifting.

That winch looks pretty cool! Let us know how it works!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Offline Mocs n Docs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Oct 30, 2019, 09:57 AM »
some great ideas here - thanks fellas!

I just run sleds on foot all season so no trailer for me ;D that's definitely an easy load-up though!

I've tried my best at the foot hold as I lift the front - works decent at times but its darn hard to hold 100+lbs from sliding around on shear ice with the tip of my boot while stretched out! haha maybe Im just too short

question for the guys using ramps - you don't have issues with people making off with them when they're sitting in the bed of your truck and you're out on the ice? I try my best not to leave anything out and easy to grab.. darn near all the guys fishing that time of year are good people but it only takes one bad apple to walk off with your things.

Rope and a way to latch onto your sled might be the way to go..

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Oct 30, 2019, 10:10 AM »
 Well as of yet I haven’t had a problem with anyone walking away with it yet , I have a pair but only use 1 with my shack , I mark mine it is the only thing left behind ,

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Oct 30, 2019, 01:54 PM »
Surprised no one has mentioned a smitty sled.  Use the skis as a ramp.
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 22, 2019, 05:58 PM »
That winch looks pretty cool! Let us know how it works!
[/youtube]

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 22, 2019, 07:45 PM »
Now that's slick. I need one for my buddies ice shanty, moving it onto her trailer.

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 22, 2019, 07:55 PM »
I use a 2x 6 with a small piece of aluminum on it angled. Works ok but still hard on the back pushing in my Clam one man. My last few trips I just left it in the car. I have a Ford Explorer and with all the seats folded down it will sit in the back no problem

Thinking about going back to a truck with topper and a winch would be ideal

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 22, 2019, 08:44 PM »
Like DLB said Smitty skis. flip the over. place the fronts over the end of your tailgate. Instant ramps.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.