Author Topic: Chubby Darter & Jigging Rapala  (Read 4776 times)

Offline pleasureseeker

• IceShanty Rookie
Chubby Darter & Jigging Rapala
« on: Jan 11, 2013, 11:25 AM »
Hi all.  I've been catching a ton of dinks on smaller jigs tipped with worms or maggots.  That's nice and all.  But, I want to target the jumbos.  So, I'm thinking of trying a Chubby Darter or a jigging Rapala.  Does anybody have any advice on this?  What, if anything, should I tip them with?  Thanks!!!

Offline Jaycr3183

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Chubby Darter & Jigging Rapala
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2013, 02:57 PM »
Jigging rapala tipped with hald a minnow, cant go wrong.  My favorite color is the blue and silver.  Later in teh year the baby perch SMOKES all the rest.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2013, 01:42 PM »
Small Lindy Chubby Darter tipped with nothing. I have had lots of success with it, not to mention the occasional walleye that will grab it.

WS

Offline CrappieVermonter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2013, 06:50 PM »
Jigging rap with a minnow head on the treable my go to fore bigger perch

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2013, 08:17 PM »
Perch, for the most part, school according to size. I'd pick a new spot first. A jumbo won't turn his nose up at an ice jig and spike if he's hungry!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2013, 09:49 PM »
 Plain Chubby Darters work good sometimes too.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2013, 11:49 AM »
i had great luck with the smallest lindy darter in perch color last weekend. the little fish couldn't get their mouth around it, but the big ones would slam it!

Offline cousin eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2013, 10:41 AM »
I'll tip jigging raps with a wax worm or a couple spikes on the treble but rarely tip the chubby darters.  I feel the effectiveness of the darters comes from the slow, wobbling decent, and by adding meat to the hooks, it reduces that action the lure was designed to produce.  Having said that, I typically only use the chubby darters when the fish are active or I am on a school of bigger fish and don't want to waste time catching smaller fish.  Tipping a jigging rap will also reduce the intended action of the lure but not nearly as much as tipping a chubby darter, IMO.  Very rarely do I tip raps when fishing for walleyes, whitebass, or crappies, and I still manage to catch a few randomly roaming perch on the bare raps when targeting those other fish.

My advice, lower your rap or darter down the hole to a depth where you can still see it and experiment with different jigging motions and watch what type of action they induce.  That way you have a feel for what your bait is doing when fishing deeper water when you cannot sight fish and you can more easily nail down a jigging cadence that is producing bites.

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2013, 06:24 PM »

This is a 2" Chubby Darter and a 6" perch. i find the 1 1/3" Chubby Darter catches bigger perch.But when fishing for walleyes the small male perch get frisky on the bigger ones.
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2013, 07:19 PM »
Plain Chubby Darter, I have also been slamming sun fish with it!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.