Author Topic: Lights for perch and crappie  (Read 2092 times)

Offline DUGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lights for perch and crappie
« on: Jan 10, 2013, 08:28 PM »
I'm sure this has been gone over previously, but is there a benefit to putting a lattern on the ice or a light under the ice when night fishing? I'm brand new to this and have caught fish each time out, just not the numbers I'm hoping for and looking to fish more after dark? thanks for your input...
mike

Offline bigmike7272

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lights for perch and crappie
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2013, 09:27 PM »
what i've always been told is that the light attracts invertebrates which then attracts the fish that feed on those invertebrates.  I know when we fish for smelt through the ice we drop lights down the hole as well as lanterns on the ice and usually the person with the brightest light catches the most fish.

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember some of it. Involve me and I will have lifetime knowledge.

-Anomymous

Offline jig-jig THUMP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IceFishinFool!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2013, 08:43 PM »
Not sure on the perch at night under a light but have seen it work well for crappie.  Often times the crappie are on the edge of the light, not the bright spot.  I like to have the lantern behind me on the ice so as not to blind me but still light everything up that I need to see.

jjT

Happiness is watching the blip rise to the bait on my Vex!

Offline Yooper77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2013, 09:32 PM »
I would like to know if this works also. The perch usually quit biting and disappear after the sun sets and the walleye start feeding heavier. Where I smelt fish is normally 80' and I'll attach a glow stick to a line and drop it down outside my shack, so it doesn't tangle my line and it seems to work.

Changed my middle name to "You should have been here yesterday".         Remember it's called fishing, not catching.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2013, 12:08 PM »
I think there is another thread on this but I know I have taken them under a light in the summer but it is the exception not the rule.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline CrappieVermonter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2013, 09:34 AM »
I used a small green lite you put in the water this year fore perch and think it made a difference. Seen the fish come in on the flasher and look at the light and caght them when nights without it nothing. Crappie I know the light helps

Offline rswope2004

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2013, 04:05 PM »
CrappieVermonter has it.  If you are going to drop a light you want a green light.  Green penetrates further in the water column than any other in the light spectrum.  Guys usually use them for catching or netting bait.  it draws plankton blooms which attract certian baitfish.  Crappies respond to light at night.  I have never had perch bite at night as they have poor eyesight in the dark and as stated their cousin walleye take over.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.