Author Topic: Babooshka with my Mormyshka!!!  (Read 4149 times)

Offline valleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
Babooshka with my Mormyshka!!!
« on: Nov 19, 2005, 07:42 PM »
Hey all,

I've been trying to get me some of these mormyshkas.  However I am finding it very difficult.  I finally found a supplier but they are not selling on the net right now.  These aren't the American knock-offs marmooska's either.  They come in a metal nickel or tungsten and have a hole in the middle to give a nice horizontal presentation.  So my question to fellow Iceniks.......... where can I find me some? and has anyone used them ?

Peace out,
Valleye
'Carpe Diem' does not mean 'Fish of the Day'

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Babooshka with my Mormyshka!!!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2005, 07:56 PM »
click here. If you can't find want you want on that site, I have been seeing some on e-bay this fall.
Ken                                          

Offline Iceaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2005, 08:45 PM »
Check out this website www.nisid.com.The guys name is Denis.The BEST quality mormyshka jigs i ever found in this country.Fiskas jigs are ok, but still i prefer nisid, price is higher too but worth it.good luck

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2005, 09:37 AM »
I think I read an article about these in the new IF.. looks pretty sweet. Does anyone know why the reccomend "no bait" does it hurt the action? Also they recommend a piece of ballon, cant be to healthy for the fish!

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2005, 08:13 AM »
Hey all,

I've been trying to get me some of these mormyshkas.  However I am finding it very difficult.  I finally found a supplier but they are not selling on the net right now.  These aren't the American knock-offs marmooska's either.  They come in a metal nickel or tungsten and have a hole in the middle to give a nice horizontal presentation.  So my question to fellow Iceniks.......... where can I find me some? and has anyone used them ?

Peace out,
Valleye
Welcome aboard Valleye.
I use these style of jigs too. I picked them up in Latvia 2 yrs ago. The ones I bought were very good quality so I have not needed to buy more. Maybe in 10 yrs. I don't know a supplier here but I've also picked up some from a buddy in Edmonton that has a friend make him some. Yes they hang just perfectly, no re adjusting. A fellow was on here 2 yrs ago saying he had some real good quality jigs and I was anxious to see but he didn't supply pics and seemed like quite a busy guy. I think his name was "Tony on ice?". Any luck on getting pics yet Tony? You can try and PM him to see what he has.

Marmish has some nice jigs but still has the eye for tying. I have lots of Marmish jigs and love them too. They have the eye well placed. Nice to see some other European style iceniks on here. Sometimes die hard American stylers think I'm a little crazy :cookoo:. Well I am, but not with my European style ;D.

IceJunky: The jigs are very lightweight and the line must be matched accordingly. If you put bait on (modified:a big piece), the jig will not vibrate properly, just kind of sit there hanging to one side. Its the erratic movements of the jig balanced on the line that hammer the fish. Take that away and the jig isn't as effective. Never heard of the balloon thing?

Offline valleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2005, 09:21 AM »
Welcome aboard Valleye.

IceJunky: The jigs are very lightweight and the line must be matched accordingly. If you put bait on, the jig will not vibrate properly, just kind of sit there hanging to one side. Its the erratic movements of the jig balanced on the line that hammer the fish. Take that away and the jig isn't as effective. Never heard of the balloon thing?

Thanks Terry,  I just purchased some from ebay.  can't wait to get them.  You were saying no bait should be used?  Not even spikes or small thin plastics?  Usually I use a 1/80 oz fly jig (gold or silver) with the knot hole on top of the jig for great horizontal presentations.  I usually add a plastic wedge or spike/eurolarvae.  The Gills and Crappie love it.  I guess the Mormyshka's have a horizontal effect but glide like an airplane jig when pulled or jigged?  am i right?  well thanks for your input.  I'm sure these will help.  Now all we need is some ice down here in Illinois/Wisconsin!

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2005, 10:37 AM »
I have had some success with very small pieces of bait too. I had some Swedish pinkies which are very small maggots and I would slice off a tiny piece. I have seen some put on a big hunk and it would tip the jig and I couldn't vibrate properly.  Blood worms work good.
I don't pull on my jigs, I vibrate from the top down till I hit bottom then I raise just a bit off bottom, vibrating the jig the whole time. The rainbows I fish here get spooked by a jig coming down too quick from the surface, but if I vibrate down slowly they are Ok. Don't have gills where I'm from. I only see gills when I clean my fish ;D Crappie, none either except what I leave in my outhouse ;D

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2005, 03:28 PM »
The above site is not currently taking Internet orders, but you can e-mail them to place an order.

To have them shipped out of the US contact  [email protected]

To have then Shipped out of Canada contact [email protected]

The shipping costs are low as well. they give you the option of envelope or small packet. I see more jigs in my future....

What (hook) sizes do you guys recommend?

Offline Iceaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2005, 04:01 PM »
Don't go with big sizes.Tungsten is heavy itself.I personally don't use bigger then 4mm ,the best are 2-3mm.The smaller jig the better chance u catch more fish, and bigger size too, especially in midwinter.The jigs from nisid have a really good hooks with sharp point, not like most jigs from other companies.That's the best jigs i've ever used in the long time, not to mention the ones i used to make myself from sterling silver ;D

Offline Iceaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2005, 04:06 PM »
hey, TERRYGONEFISHING  where are u from originally?

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2005, 09:11 AM »
I'm originally from Ontario, Canada. That was in my early years. Now I'm a western boy in British Columbia (you know the place with all the big fish ;D). I have some ties to Sweden though.
Never been to Baltimore though ;D

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2005, 10:56 AM »
those jigs look awesome but just two questions????  area ll of them tungsten and ho do you tie them....  IE  thread line through hole and tie or thred though and tie to shank...   stupid ? but I am curious...   my poor wallet after seeing these sweet critters.

Offline valleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 24, 2005, 03:08 PM »
Here is a link that gives you a good way to tie on a mormyshka.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/010301fotw.html

I think these will be awesome on the ice.  I just got some, and can't wait!!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.