Author Topic: Clam Dave Genz Fish Trap Voyager Opinions  (Read 3925 times)

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
Clam Dave Genz Fish Trap Voyager Opinions
« on: Feb 19, 2019, 11:41 AM »
Hey all, does anyone have this shelter? Whats the general opinion on them? My buddy is looking for his first flipover and found one online. Heavy as all hell? Will it fit in a SUV with the back row down?

edit-Didnt realize that the Voyager is normally a 2man, the one he is looking at has an extra seat making me think it was a three man
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Clam Dave Genz Fish Trap Voyager (3 man Flipover)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2019, 01:27 PM »
I have the Clam X300Pro Thermal flipover that has 3 padded swivel seats.

Beautiful design. Strong and simple.  NOT lightweight at 200 pounds, but super heavy duty and strong.

Will fit in my pickup bed, but too long for a short bed (mine is 5 foot).

Tough as nails but not light.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2019, 01:30 PM »
I have the Clam X300Pro Thermal flipover that has 3 padded swivel seats.

Beautiful design. Strong and simple.  NOT lightweight at 200 pounds, but super heavy duty and strong.

Will fit in my pickup bed, but too long for a short bed (mine is 5 foot).

Tough as nails but not light.

wow, 200 is huge! I believe the one my buddy is looking at only weights ~120. Can you move yours by hand at all?
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2019, 01:46 PM »
here is the pack size for the voyagers :

L 72” x W 40” x H 26”

what suv does he drive.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2019, 01:48 PM »
wow, 200 is huge! I believe the one my buddy is looking at only weights ~120. Can you move yours by hand at all?
I have a one man insulated that is 74# empty. I can’t hardly pull it once I get my gear into it!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline jr50

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2019, 01:52 PM »
I have the voyager with 2 seats that it came with.  It is only a two person house as 3 would be very tight.  I haul mine in a suburban with the 3rd row seat removed and the 2nd row folded down, I still have room for 5gal buckets between the sled and doors.  I love the house and usually pull it out onto the ice by hand, though usually not over 400yds.

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2019, 01:53 PM »
I have a one man insulated that is 74# empty. I can’t hardly pull it once I get my gear into it!
Keep it safe! JDL

I do have a smitty that should help in some cases, but I still think a shack this large might be a nightmare without an atv/snowmobile. Thats why I wanted to see if anyone had experience with that
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2019, 02:04 PM »
my personal opinion is that a voyager is too big to pull by hand. if you need a two man house and need it a little bigger then look at a Yukon. a Yukon is like 20 lbs less then the voyager.  now the two man that would probably fit in the suv would be the Nanook. it is a low profile house (won't be able to stand up right in it) and it weighs in at around 85lbs before you add you gear in it. what I like about the nanook is that I can leave one of the seats out and turn it into a oversized one man house. one thing that helps when pulling any house by hand is using some type of pulling harness. it spreads the weigh of the house out over your whole body and not just into your hand like the pulling rope does.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
Re: Clam Dave Genz Fish Trap Voyager Opinions
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2019, 02:42 PM »
For pulling any 2 man, make 2 rope handles. If you want to share the shack, share the work!

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clam Dave Genz Fish Trap Voyager Opinions
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2019, 02:56 PM »
For pulling any 2 man, make 2 rope handles. If you want to share the shack, share the work!

Yea if were pulling my big thermal hub and full kit, we sometimes have two guys on the smitty rope. All the guys I'm ice fishing with are early/mid 20s and athletic so pulling the sled isn't usually too much of an issue- I only mention that because I know a lot of the ice fishing community is older and can struggle with some of the physical stuff. Still wouldn't mind an ATV or Snowmobile  ;)
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2019, 03:51 PM »

I could pull it for a short distance, would be a rotten job.

Actually the reason that I got it was because I bought a Snowdog and it became realistic.
Veritas Odium Parit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.