The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lake Trout Guys Need your expertise! MM, BD, er-e-is, etc...  (Read 1964 times)

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
I caught this fish quite a few years back. I am thinking about getting a repo done of the fish. You guys would have a better idea than me. how long? girth? weight?  Thanks, Cargo

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
For a rough length take the picture and try to figure out where head and tail are in comparison to your body and measure it out.
        Get the kids fishing!!

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
As you can see I am pulling up on the lower jaw but I think the fish would be measured to it's nose? is that right? or does the bottom jaw stick out farther than the nose?

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Why not email the pic along with your height weight for reference to the place which is going to do the work and let them work it out? Maybve even send in the 'Air Skimmer" pic!  :whistle: :clap: :roflmao:

Offline MountainMan

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Fish Painter
That's a great fish Cargo! Congrats. First, you might want to talk to whoever you are thinking about having do the replica for you. I will send you a P.M. with the contact info for a guy who will probably know its girth, length, weight, the day it was born, favorite color... Won't post it here for the guy's own sanity. Just send him the pic, mention how big a guy you are and ask him what he thinks. I keep comparing it to the fish in these pics, but just can't say. I'm about 6' 4", so if you think you want to know the measurements on something let me know (I have most of them)... http://zachevenart.com/Photos.aspx?aid=15  

Again great fish. Hope you can get something figured out.

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
OMG! MM incredible :woot:  You have caught some fish! WOW You should have a pretty good idea I am 5' 9" I took a measurement after looking at the picture Could the fish be about 29" long?  Do you have any idea how long some of those fish were you guys caught? Say like a 30lber?  Thanks for the PM I will let you know. Thanks, Cargo

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Nice Fish. I would say that it is way over 29'' and closer to 39''. Looks like it has good girth. I would think it is in the 30# range. The photo below, a "Fremont Lake Snake" was about 17# 37'' and the jaw sticks out about 3/4'' past the nose. It had not released it's air bladder and looks bigger than it really was. I would send the pic to the taxidermist doing the replica and get their opinoin. Where did you catch it? Lets hear the story.

Note to self: Put trim back up in corner.....

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
Fish like those make TGF nervous. let's catch some like that this year!! :afro: :icefish:
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Offline fishsmith

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fish like those make TGF nervous. let's catch some like that this year!! :afro: :icefish:
x2 ;D

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
eri-e-is That's a beautiful mount awesome fish.
On one of the many trips to Ft. Peck years ago we caught quite a few. we were fishing for Northerns and Walleyes. I was in about 30' to 40' of water using a hand line in my house when this one hit thank God I had on some leather gloves I think I was using 20 or 30lb Dacron line with a 10lb mono tippet. I would get the fish back to the hole and it would take off again I thought I had on a train. I could not figure out what it was I just knew it was big. I thought I had on a new world record Northern.     

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
Re: Lake Trout Guys Need your expertise! MM, BD, er-e-is, etc...
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2010, 07:45 PM »
my guess:  approx 38 inches and 26 lbs.   ;D   heckofafish

Offline MountainMan

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Fish Painter
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2010, 10:08 PM »
X3  ;D

BD probably has a pretty good guess. Now, if it was in the range of 45 lbs he could probably give you an even more accurate guess ;)

And good to see that nice fish again er-e-is

Offline jaklakmak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LIVE OUTDOORS!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2010, 10:14 PM »
my guess:  approx 38 inches and 26 lbs.   ;D   heckofafish
BD is right on the money from what I can see. My guess would have been 36" and 24lbs mainly because the tail looks to be 8-9 inches off the ice and the average man has a 32-36 inseam on the pants that they wear.

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2010, 02:48 AM »
Thanks guys the talley so far.

Moose         0"      30lb
er-e-is        39"     30lb
BD              38"     26lb
JakLakmak    36"     24lb

I'll wait to see if I get any more. MM I still would like you to take quess you have caught a bunch of these.

LT?

Offline bohman77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2010, 09:03 AM »
Just because it's fun I'm going to take aguess.  I'm going to say 40" and 32.5lbs

Offline troutsdaddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2010, 10:42 AM »
We'll play the odds and say 37" and 27lbs....great fish...good and thick  ;D!  troutsdaddy

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2010, 03:29 PM »
I will let this go for awhile and take an average. thanks for the input everyone.

Talley             inches       pounds
moose51         38.25"       30 lbs
er-e-is            39"           30 lbs
BD                  38"           26 lbs
JakLaKmak        36"           24 lbs
bohman77        40"           32.5 lbs
troutdaddy       37"           27 lbs

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2010, 04:45 PM »
Cargo, what is your guess??? or do you know for sure? 8)

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 02, 2010, 05:38 PM »
Cargo, what is your guess??? or do you know for sure? 8)
I honestly do not know. I remember thinking this is a giant fish , but that trip they were all big, and not knowing these fish I thought they were all big. After I got home and filleted out sorry to say many of these fish someone told me how old a fish like the ones we caught were. It was not until you and BD and MM started putting these fish on the Shanty I really took notice. I have caught a few 30+ Walleyes and some very big Northern pike. Now if I were to guess. I would say close to what you and BD thinks maybe 38 to 40" long. I think the fish was heaver than 26lbs I would guess 30lbs.

That's why I put in on I will probably take everyone guess and take the average length and weight.
Thanks Joe

Offline MountainMan

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Fish Painter
« Reply #19 on: Dec 02, 2010, 09:51 PM »
Thanks guys the talley so far.

Moose         0"      30lb
er-e-is        39"     30lb
BD              38"     26lb
JakLakmak    36"     24lb

I'll wait to see if I get any more. MM I still would like you to take quess you have caught a bunch of these.

LT?

Go with the nice round numbers, like 40" and 30 pounds  ;)

Offline GDRB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 02, 2010, 09:53 PM »
40 inches, 30 pounds.

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #21 on: Dec 03, 2010, 05:15 PM »
okay looking at bigIce's hand, he's not holding it out at all, so it could be thirty or more for sure - put me down for thirty.

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 03, 2010, 07:16 PM »
Its a thick fish, really short head, he's 5'9'' with boots and that hat he's pushing 6', the fish is way over 1/2 of his height. Holding it close to his body. Whatever the length and weight a darn nice fish.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #23 on: Dec 04, 2010, 04:46 AM »

Not at all, it always makes me drool when I see nice fish like that. Nothing like the fight of a laker thru the ice. Hope everyone has the pleasure of hooking one of these torpedos.

The camera shot is taken low. That fish I figure is around 39 1/4 inches but 40 1/2 inches with the way he is holding it by bottom jaw. 28.5 lbs

I hope they have lakers in this years tourney so we can see some monsters posted from both sides of the border.

Good luck to all.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.