Author Topic: Battery Size for drill/auger combo  (Read 7253 times)

Offline MT_mulies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Aim high, Miss High"
Battery Size for drill/auger combo
« on: Feb 12, 2019, 04:04 PM »
I'm thinking about making the switch to a drill/auger combo for my set up instead of my gas auger. I'm looking at getting the Ridgid octane this one to be exact. https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-OCTANE-LIthium-Ion-Cordless-Brushless-1-2-in-Hammer-Drill-Kit-with-OCTANE-Battery-Charger-and-Contractor-Bag-R8611506SB/307490841
I know that they just had a deal where if you buy the 9ah battery you get a free tool. Well I missed that so this is my next option. Will the 3ah battery be good enough or will I need to get at least the 4ah? I know the bigger the better, but I don't want to spend $300-400 with buying the tool and battery separately.
Or should I just wait for another promotion to come around and try that? Maybe the next major holiday would have a deal.

I will be using a strikemaster 8 inch mora auger by the way.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Battery Size for drill/auger combo
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2019, 04:11 PM »
Home depot has the Milwaukee 18 fuel for 250 right now with 2 - 5ah batteries.   Buddy just bought one and paired it with a clam plate and a 8" lazer.  Ice eating machine!!!

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2019, 04:36 PM »
The Octane 3aH battery will drill holes fine, but you want a 9aH or 2. You won't get many holes out of the 3aH. I carry mine as a backup to my 2- 9aH batteries. Most trips I won't even go through one 9aH.

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2019, 04:41 PM »
I have the Milwaukee 18 volt fuel. It came with the 1.5 batteries. I never use more than 2 of them when I fish. I would like a bigger battery but I have 4 of the 1.5's

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2019, 04:49 PM »
You will be fine with the 3 amp I am sure you get a couple more later??  I have 2 at one and a half amp batteries..  I drilled 10 to 20 holes and had 3/4 to half charge on a 6 inch nils on the octane threw 6 inches of ice.   I put the 9 amp on I drill on 10 inch of ice get 50 hole form my 8 inch nils  befor 1/4 drain off  3/4 left on the 9 amp battery.. the 9 amp  is over kill for me truthfully .. if hole hopping for perch might be worth it??  Might not?  Depending on ice thickness  like if it were 24 inches it might be worth it?? if whole hopping  you might in  24 inch of ice  with a 6 inch nils get 10-15 holes from one charge on the battery with a 3amp battery?? Now a 8 inch nils  might get 5 to 10 holed for the  3amp??    if you need more then that might want to get another battery?

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2019, 05:09 PM »
I use a Milwaukee with an 8” Lazer. I wouldn’t use anything under 5ah. I really want a 9ah or a 12ah.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2019, 05:54 PM »
I use 4ah ryobis. I wouldn't go any less than that, I have several 1.5's but I won't bother using them on the ice. I get about 50 or so holes though 8" with a 6" lazer with one 4ah. I've never really counted, but I've only ever used a full battery when fishing multiple lakes in a day. Probably more than 50 now that I think about it, I drill A LOT of holes. I carry 3 batteries and have never used more than 1 1/2.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline minnangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2019, 07:22 PM »
I'm in the same boat. I think that 159.99 is a good value for the drill and the 3amp battery, considering the bare tool is 149.99.   I was also wondering if the three amp.battery will be enough.  I am hearing that the nine amp battery will drill 100 plus holes through 24 inches on ice. I think for my needs three amp will be enough.  I typically drill 10 to 15 holes per outing and normally have less then 18 inches on ice.  Yes I will add a second battery in the future but will wait for a good deal.  I'll be turning a 6 inch laser.   

Offline MT_mulies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Aim high, Miss High"
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2019, 10:52 PM »
My biggest problem with buying is knowing that for the 9ah battery and charger is $199 and I just missed the deal to get the free tool. I'm wondering if I should just wait and hope for another promotion like that.

Offline stuckinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2019, 03:54 AM »
For you guys using batteries...
Amazon has batteries for everything made by lilbatter. Look them up.
I have a lot of these batteries for work and have used them for a couple of years. They are as good as the Dewalt batteries and better than the Milwaukee batteries.
The average I have been paying is 59 dollars for 18/20V and 5Amp.

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2019, 04:58 AM »
Go with the 9ah battery... you'll be kicking yourself for not doing it in the end.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2019, 05:27 AM »
I just started using a drill/auger combo for the first time this season and ,fwiw, here's what I have learned in experience and from this site:

Drill: 600# of torque with 4ah battery running a 4 and 6" laser auger. Here are some results...

When using the 4", conditions were good. Temps in the 20's and ice was 3-5" thick. Punched holes all day long with 1 battery. Last weekend it was a little different using the 6". Temps were in the single digits all day and ice was 12 to 15" thick. After cutting somewhere between 15 and 20 holes, the drill began to labor a bit. I believe that the size of battery, extreme cold and ice thickness combined in the reduced performance of the 6". I did switch out the battery but didn't cut any more holes. BTW, the drill/auger was left out in the elements...not inside the warm shanty...which could have helped.

So, my take on the "experiment"...my set up performed as I expected. Colder temps does have an effect on the battery as does the size of auger and thickness of ice. Kind of a no brainer.

Couple of other things...when deciding on on drill, figure on 100# of torque per inch of auger used. If I had to do it again, I would probably go with a minimum of a 5ah battery ( they don't make one for my particular drill ) and a standard blade auger (non-laser) is a good option. While the laser cuts a little faster, the standard one has less of a tendency to "grab" at the bottom of the hole. A buddy of mine runs a 4" Mora and can operate it with one hand. My laser on the other hand...gotta hang on with 2. I learned quickly  :o ;D.

Anyway...hope this helped.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2019, 07:18 AM »
just bought the milwaukee fuel 18v with the two 5 amps last weekend.  temps in the teens, 24 inches of ice. 28 holes with the 8 inch nils with one battery.  if i spaced the drilling it would have done more than doing 28 consecutively. 

Offline Reginald Bonz III

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!!!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2019, 07:30 AM »
3ah on an 8 inch auger will be pushing it.

I have the Dewalt 20v with the 3ah battery and I paired that with a 6in k-drill...works pissah.

Haven't had a problem yet. Drilled 20 holes through 14 inches of ice and still had battery.  Just remember to clear the shavings out of the hole by lifting a little as you drill and let the blades do the work.

Don't force it.
Keep those holes clean and smooth

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2019, 08:49 AM »
3ah on an 8 inch auger will be pushing it.

Not with the 3aH octane battery and the Octane drill. I'll see how many holes I can get this weekend with an 8" Mora. It hasn't had any issues for me in the past, but the thicker ice will be a good test.

Offline tjk3rd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2019, 09:16 AM »
I just started using a ridgid drill with an 8" nils.  Drill came with 2 1.5 amp hour batteries.  Definitely not enough.  Was fishing on 10" of ice and managed 25 holes using both batteries.  I just ordered 2 6 amp hr batteries and should be good to go for whatever fishing I want to do.  Just my experience, I hope it helps.

Offline Northern_MN Outdoorsan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2019, 11:57 AM »
After over 20 pages of problems with the new Ridgid Octane I'd avoid that tool like the plague. I'm 3 years in with my 2603-22 Milwaukee Fuel and 8"K Drill setup with thousands of holes drilled with it and have had zero issues. I run the 9.0 and 12.0 batteries. I would buy the Fuel tool again.

Offline earlyrise

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2019, 01:02 PM »
I have had the Milwaukee 18v for years , but it was not brushless. so I bought the 1/2 brushless with handle 149.00 drill only and it works like a charm

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2019, 01:05 PM »
After over 20 pages of problems with the new Ridgid Octane I'd avoid that tool like the plague. I'm 3 years in with my 2603-22 Milwaukee Fuel and 8"K Drill setup with thousands of holes drilled with it and have had zero issues. I run the 9.0 and 12.0 batteries. I would buy the Fuel tool again.
.     That’s what I was thinking !!

Offline MT_mulies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Aim high, Miss High"
« Reply #19 on: Feb 13, 2019, 02:59 PM »
Does the Milwaukee have a lifetime warranty? If so I would think about going that direction. With Ridgid you get the LSA and it covers, tools and batteries for life. That's hard to beat and the older I get the more I try to only buy things with lifetime warranties.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 13, 2019, 03:14 PM »
Does the Milwaukee have a lifetime warranty? If so I would think about going that direction. With Ridgid you get the LSA and it covers, tools and batteries for life. That's hard to beat and the older I get the more I try to only buy things with lifetime warranties.

If I have to rely on a lifetime warranty I begin to question the quality of the product to begin with. No, Milwaukee doesn’t have a lifetime warranty and they won’t replace your batteries for free after years of use. From my experience, they don’t need to.  :tipup:
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 13, 2019, 03:28 PM »

No they don't. But they flat out work. No cut out issues and no sending them in for repair for cutting out either. You buy/use what you want but dependability is worth it to me to choose Milwaukee. It's kinda crazy to me how many people recommend the Ridgid when so many people are having the cutting out issue. That would get old real fast. But hey at least they have the lifetime warranty. Good thing since your going to need it.

Offline tjk3rd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 13, 2019, 03:34 PM »
In my experience the cut out issue only happens when the battery is running out of juice.  Never had the problem with my ridgid drill unless the battery was too weak to drill.

Offline burgerunh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 13, 2019, 03:52 PM »
If I was going to buy the Ridgid I would hold out for that deal to come back around with the 9 AH battery.  Otherwise buy the Milwaukee.

Offline tjk3rd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 13, 2019, 04:09 PM »
I completely agree!  Wait for the sale.

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 13, 2019, 04:45 PM »
Be hey at least they have the lifetime warranty. Go thing since your going to need it.

I was clamoring to get in on the Rigid deal but I'm kinda glad now that it was sold out around me.
Reminds me of a scene from Tommy Boy, except they use Guarantee instead of LSA.

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 13, 2019, 04:54 PM »
Rick that's funny stuff. Thanks for the laugh.

To the OP, get 5 amp hour batteries or better whatever you choose. You will be happier in the long run.

Offline earlyrise

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 13, 2019, 05:10 PM »
Great video LoL

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 13, 2019, 05:14 PM »
I would also make sure that the OP knows that the Amp- Hour rating is divided by the number of Amp-hours (the amount of energy) to make a hole. If you get a smaller auger, or a more efficient cutting  auger, you will get more holes per battery. I use a 5 inch Lazer, and get a days worth of drilling (75 holes) out of a 4 A-h battery until the ice gets over 20 inches. With an 8 inch Lazer, I would expect only 20-25 holes, and with a straight blade auger, even less. It might be cheaper to get the perfect auger but for your species first, then get smaller batteries.

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 13, 2019, 06:29 PM »
Milwaukee all day long for me. I am going  to start switching to Milwaukee for other tools for work also. The M 18 is a bad a$$ drill in my opinion.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.