Author Topic: Lures that don't work  (Read 7348 times)

Offline poot_818

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lures that don't work
« Reply #30 on: Sep 25, 2017, 02:53 PM »
Surprised to see guys don't have luck with perch talkers, I bought a green one last year, and the fish loved it, but I would cover the hooks in waxies!

Offline Dakota-Lew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Sep 25, 2017, 04:08 PM »
Surprised to see guys don't have luck with perch talkers, I bought a green one last year, and the fish loved it, but I would cover the hooks in waxies!

Yea i can catch fish with them but nothing like i can with a simple tungsten jig. My other issue is when fishing below ten feet i have to be so damn careful sending it down, constantly snagging on it self. I have 4 or 5 of them in the tackle box, but i only put one on now days unless nothing else is working. 

Ironically i have had some crazy good luck with northern's with the large shiny big perch talkers. Perch talkers is 100% in my "only when forced" to type of lures. 

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #32 on: Sep 25, 2017, 06:46 PM »
Oh another one is the red bead on the hook type of spoons like a smacking Jack. Can't get the perch to even look at them.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Sep 25, 2017, 08:06 PM »
Tell us what you think about them after you use them.  For me, they were too light to jig the way a hard bait like that should be worked.

I'll give it a try and see

Offline rangerbill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Sep 25, 2017, 08:50 PM »
Northland live forage blade bait.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Sep 25, 2017, 09:37 PM »
Kastmasters for me.  Tried all sizes, all colors, slow, fast, bang em off the bottom, tipped with everything, tipped with nothing. Nada.  Everything else in the box will at least catch an occasional fish but Kastys just don't work for me.

Online ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Sep 25, 2017, 10:30 PM »
JaJe Bug Tungsten Ice Fly.....

??? ??? ???

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #37 on: Sep 25, 2017, 10:49 PM »
Kastmasters for me.  Tried all sizes, all colors, slow, fast, bang em off the bottom, tipped with everything, tipped with nothing. Nada.  Everything else in the box will at least catch an occasional fish but Kastys just don't work for me.

You gotta be kidding me.......The first Ice lure I ever bought and used Ice fishing was a kastmaster with the perch patteren on it. I've caught more fish on kastmasters ice fishing then any spoon. I believe you, but I never thought anyone could have that bad a luck with them......I've caught about every fish you can with them. I think I have at least 50 of them on hand.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Sep 25, 2017, 11:21 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
Friend caught a 35" Northern with that beasty on Stuart Lake many years ago .

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Sep 26, 2017, 10:17 AM »
I've never had a nibble on those rubber maggots. I try them and when they don't work I can bring same lure up and change to real maggots and get a bite instantly on same lure. I wish they would work for me as they last a lot longer on the hook.

Offline Dakota-Lew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Sep 26, 2017, 10:22 AM »
I've never had a nibble on those rubber maggots. I try them and when they don't work I can bring same lure up and change to real maggots and get a bite instantly on same lure. I wish they would work for me as they last a lot longer on the hook.

Yo try a maki from clam and a waxi, so when they strip the waxi you have another swing when they want more and go for the maki.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #41 on: Sep 26, 2017, 04:58 PM »

Yeah.........the rubber maggot and the crappie nibbles I never had much luck with. However the plastics that have any type of tail that wiggles works pretty well if you keep the tail wiggle going with active fish.

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Sep 26, 2017, 07:43 PM »
Some advice for you guys having trouble with jigging rapalas ..... Match the lure color to the preferred bait in the lake and tip the treble hook with a minnow head ....I always start by pounding the lure off the bottom then circle the rod tip around the outside of the hole ..... Sometimes just holding it still is the key after stirring up the bottom .... A flasher helps tell what action the fish want ...
Budweiser pro staff

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Sep 27, 2017, 10:33 PM »
Yeah.........the rubber maggot and the crappie nibbles I never had much luck with. However the plastics that have any type of tail that wiggles works pretty well if you keep the tail wiggle going with active fish.

I catch crappies on badger and West (Osceola) with the red Gulp maggots.  Mix them up with real ones.  The rubber stay on longer so you don't have to change them as often as real ones.  I use the crappie nibbles(either yellow or pink)  in the spring on soft water.
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Sep 28, 2017, 06:00 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

This plug does work. 6-1/2 lb Largemouth night fishing at the Quabbin Res.
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #45 on: Sep 28, 2017, 06:11 PM »
This plug does work. 6-1/2 lb Largemouth night fishing at the Quabbin Res.

No it doesn't. You were hoping to catch a musky.   ;)2 :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Been there, done that..... :whistle:
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Chute82

« Reply #46 on: Sep 29, 2017, 11:59 AM »
Chubby darter for me, don't think I can remember catching anything on one.  Shad rap and jigging rap I have caught lots of fish on but that stupid chubby darter can't even catch bottom

Offline rundrave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Oct 02, 2017, 10:08 AM »
I think that a lot of people over work the lures. I didnt realize I was doing it and then I watched this video and it all made sense.

Pay close attention to the speed of how he works the lure.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Oct 02, 2017, 10:40 AM »
Interesting video, thx for sharing

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #49 on: Oct 02, 2017, 10:41 AM »
99% of my hits on the jiggin rap come when I hold it perfectly still for 30 seconds or more-

I jig jig jig till a mark shows up on my Vex then hold it dead still.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.