New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Sodus Bay BS Thread  (Read 47631 times)

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Sodus Bay BS Thread
« Reply #180 on: Feb 10, 2020, 10:03 AM »
I was shocked to see the machines running around like there was 2 foot of ice yesterday. It's sketchy just walking.

I have a machine and I refuse to take it out with how inconsistent the ice is. Guys blowing past me on ice that as you said is sketchy just walking
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline klino2280

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #181 on: Feb 10, 2020, 11:19 AM »
I was shocked to see the machines running around like there was 2 foot of ice yesterday. It's sketchy just walking.

Couldn't agree more!!!

There are a few of us on here that keep saying the ice is inconsistent. Must be the folks out on machines know more than we do..... Or have a brass set the size of basketballs that they have found a way to tuck. 😁😁

Either way, I'm not going out on anyone's machine right now, and still have my Spud in my hand for every single step.

I'm leaving the ice dry and on foot every time I go out.

However, I'm really glad there have not been any serious incidents on Sodus Bay this year.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #182 on: Feb 10, 2020, 11:36 AM »

Couldn't agree more!!!

There are a few of us on here that keep saying the ice is inconsistent. Must be the folks out on machines know more than we do..... Or have a brass set the size of basketballs that they have found a way to tuck. 😁😁

Either way, I'm not going out on anyone's machine right now, and still have my Spud in my hand for every single step.

I'm leaving the ice dry and on foot every time I go out.

However, I'm really glad there have not been any serious incidents on Sodus Bay this year.

I have been fishing everyday or every other day and have seen the ice change in just a few hours. You cant fix stupid.
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline perryt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #183 on: Feb 11, 2020, 04:27 AM »
I have been on it a lot too ……….. seen major changes in just hours with the sun out and temp close to 50 ! Walking out Sunday morning from 3rd around 9:45 I noticed the open water spot had frozen over and had snow on it …… I stopped , told a couple guys there is potential for tragedy today with that open spot frozen up over night , their response was WHAT open water ……. just a couple hours later I heard the sirens and started praying immediately !! 
ice fishing rules

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #184 on: Feb 11, 2020, 05:22 AM »
I’m not sure how many people know what’s going on out at the bay this winter but it will continue to be like this for years to come if the county and state don’t repair the blow out in the levee and do something about the guy breaking the ice with his tug. These are not rare conditions, these are the conditions that will be until at least the levee is repaired. So if it’s not a place someone doesn’t know or is scared about then don’t fish there, on the other side I have been running a machine for a week with no issues. Maybe it’s called intelligence or maybe I looked and found my routes and feel comfortable on 5”+ of good ice on the way, I don’t feel like dragging a mile plus with my bad hip now that there is snow cover. I have found spots that are chewed up by the current/torrent from Newark down the channel. I will not be out there again until after the cold this weekend.

If I am out and someone does need help with direction for safe ice or pulling gear and I have my machine I will always do my best help.

Perchin
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #185 on: Feb 11, 2020, 06:03 AM »
I’m not sure how many people know what’s going on out at the bay this winter but it will continue to be like this for years to come if the county and state don’t repair the blow out in the levee and do something about the guy breaking the ice with his tug. These are not rare conditions, these are the conditions that will be until at least the levee is repaired. So if it’s not a place someone doesn’t know or is scared about then don’t fish there, on the other side I have been running a machine for a week with no issues. Maybe it’s called intelligence or maybe I looked and found my routes and feel comfortable on 5”+ of good ice on the way, I don’t feel like dragging a mile plus with my bad hip now that there is snow cover. I have found spots that are chewed up by the current/torrent from Newark down the channel. I will not be out there again until after the cold this weekend.

If I am out and someone does need help with direction for safe ice or pulling gear and I have my machine I will always do my best help.

Perchin

You keep saying this guy with the tug breaking up ice may early on in november he 2as still getting it out breaking up ice but it's not like he does it in January and February. Even so him breaking give with a tug over by the Tressel is going to have no effect on ice over by 3rd creek where them guy went in this weekend. And good for you using a ma hine and feeling comfortable about it my humble opinion is that mo machine should be on the ice yet as it's not 100% uniform ice.

Offline alfed

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #186 on: Feb 11, 2020, 06:09 AM »

Perchin
two weeks ago I saw more or less a straight line of broken ice across the bay just south of newark island over to eagle island. Is this what you were talking about the tug boat breaking ice?  To clear a few things up. The rescue air boat came on the ice from Briscoe cove road  near where I was fishing, ran the shore line up to about Thornton pt. Then across to south west side of eagle island to make the rescue sunday. Having said that the air boat did break some ice in the Briscoe cove area where the dock bubbles are. I'd stay away from that area for a while.
"Can't catch'em if you are on the couch!"

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #187 on: Feb 11, 2020, 06:09 AM »
brad  I  agree  with ya  buddy  ....walk and  spud

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #188 on: Feb 11, 2020, 06:26 AM »
two weeks ago I saw more or less a straight line of broken ice across the bay just south of newark island over to eagle island. Is this what you were talking about the tug boat breaking ice?  To clear a few things up. The rescue air boat came on the ice from Briscoe cove road  near where I was fishing, ran the shore line up to about Thornton pt. Then across to south west side of eagle island to make the rescue sunday. Having said that the air boat did break some ice in the Briscoe cove area where the dock bubbles are. I'd stay away from that area for a while.
If that’s how the air boat ran then they were prolly at the line of shove ice that ran from west of Thornton point all the way to the channel between Newark and eagle islands, which has had for most of the season a open pocket of water along the west side of eagle island I don’t know how big it was by any means I am not interested in a polar plunge. This is being caused by the extra current coming from the lake through the blown out section of Burm/levee/dyke near Leroy island, I believe. Some business owner has a tug this year docked at katlyns marina and has taken it to the lake and broke up all the ice on his way out a few times, I have not personally seen it but have seen videos and was told it’s been at least 3x so far so that is not helping anything. I can’t get to where I like to fish because I wouldn’t feel safe on the break ice. The bay is changing hands down.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #189 on: Feb 11, 2020, 06:30 AM »
brad  I  agree  with ya  buddy  ....walk and  spud

Thanks Trapper. 2 sundays ago my buddy and I went from 4-5 inches of ice to ice that spud went through in 1 hit this was all with in 40-50 yards maybe.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #190 on: Feb 11, 2020, 06:32 AM »
If that’s how the air boat ran then they were prolly at the line of shove ice that ran from west of Thornton point all the way to the channel between Newark and eagle islands, which has had for most of the season a open pocket of water along the west side of eagle island I don’t know how big it was by any means I am not interested in a polar plunge. This is being caused by the extra current coming from the lake through the blown out section of Burm/levee/dyke near Leroy island, I believe. Some business owner has a tug this year docked at katlyns marina and has taken it to the lake and broke up all the ice on his way out a few times, I have not personally seen it but have seen videos and was told it’s been at least 3x so far so that is not helping anything. I can’t get to where I like to fish because I wouldn’t feel safe on the break ice. The bay is changing hands down.

Like I said early ice he may have taken the tug out but that thing is Locked it he isn't getting it out anytime soon. You also contradict your self one post I'm running my machine all over I hit know my path and feel safe to this post saying f I cant get to where I want cause I dont want to take the polar plunge. So if you can get to where you want because of being afraid of going in what makes you think that the ice you Te riding o is uniformed enough that you wont go I  else where.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #191 on: Feb 11, 2020, 06:55 AM »

Like I said early ice he may have taken the tug out but that thing is Locked it he isn't getting it out anytime soon. You also contradict your self one post I'm running my machine all over I hit know my path and feel safe to this post saying f I cant get to where I want cause I dont want to take the polar plunge. So if you can get to where you want because of being afraid of going in what makes you think that the ice you Te riding o is uniformed enough that you wont go I  else where.

Didn’t contradict anything. Reread it have a good day.
Disclaimer:
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline klino2280

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #192 on: Feb 11, 2020, 06:57 AM »
Ladies, ladies, ladies.....

You are both beautiful!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #193 on: Feb 11, 2020, 07:05 AM »
Ladies, ladies, ladies.....

You are both beautiful!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D
I know. Thanks 🤪🤪
Disclaimer:
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline alfed

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #194 on: Feb 11, 2020, 07:28 AM »
Fellow fishermen, Lets not squabble please. Let's remember why we have this site. First and foremost...to keep all of us safe and maybe a tip or two along the way. Shanty doesn't have the effect it once had. Less and less guys posting needed imformation. More squabbles and drama in the last few years.  I recall getting hammered last season for posting accurate measured conditions last year not because my observations weren't accurate but because my post would bring more guys to Sodus and fish out all their perch or maybe plant a guy on their spot by chance. We are a unique brotherhood no doubt. Some braver or crazier then other without question.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #195 on: Feb 11, 2020, 08:09 AM »
Fellow fishermen, Lets not squabble please. Let's remember why we have this site. First and foremost...to keep all of us safe and maybe a tip or two along the way. Shanty doesn't have the effect it once had. Less and less guys posting needed imformation. More squabbles and drama in the last few years.  I recall getting hammered last season for posting accurate measured conditions last year not because my observations weren't accurate but because my post would bring more guys to Sodus and fish out all their perch or maybe plant a guy on their spot by chance. We are a unique brotherhood no doubt. Some braver or crazier then other without question.
Well said.
Disclaimer:
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #196 on: Feb 11, 2020, 08:35 AM »

I'm not worried about guys on my spot I'll set up right next 2 them and out fish them lol

Offline alfed

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #197 on: Feb 11, 2020, 08:52 AM »

I'm not worried about guys on my spot I'll set up right next 2 them and out fish them lol
I'm not worried either, if they are biting I will find and catch them. I have fished Sodus for years and have many productive spots. It's a big bay. I tend to give fellow fisherman their space and normally fish away from the crowd or shanty towns. I don't worry about fishing out Sodus or any other bay. 50 plus years of Experience tells me the perch population does cycle every few years but they are always there.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #198 on: Feb 11, 2020, 09:28 AM »
I'm not worried either, if they are biting I will find and catch them. I have fished Sodus for years and have many productive spots. It's a big bay. I tend to give fellow fisherman their space and normally fish away from the crowd or shanty towns. I don't worry about fishing out Sodus or any other bay. 50 plus years of Experience tells me the perch population does cycle every few years but they are always there.

You got the key there get away from the crowd my favorite spot most people think I'm nuts til I bring a bucket full when they complain they cabt catch anything

Offline klino2280

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #199 on: Feb 11, 2020, 11:15 AM »

I will go out of my way to be away from the crowds.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #200 on: Feb 11, 2020, 11:40 AM »
alfed I  don't  post  conditions   for  two reasons  one someone  always  says  your a liar and  two  I don't want to be responsible for  someone  else  safety ..... now  posting is a war  zone ......as far as  riding machines on the  ice , reports of  sleds going threw are every where, I  wouldn't  be  out there  riding ....but if you want to , go  right ahead I hear hell ain't half  full yet ,i'm walking with a  spud.... this  site  is  ment  for  honest post  ...and   the brotherhood of fisherman  but  it's  changing fast now   we  do most of the reporting  in private messages for  several reasons  lurkers that  watch  the internet for a  bite  and  people  attacking .....another  7 weeks i'm flyfishing    ;D  be careful out there  my suggestion  keep spudding  good luck :thumbsup:

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #201 on: Feb 11, 2020, 11:42 AM »
alfed I  don't  post  conditions   for  two reasons  one someone  always  says  your a liar and  two  I don't want to be responsible for  someone  else  safety ..... now  posting is a war  zone ......as far as  riding machines on the  ice , reports of  sleds going threw are every where, I  wouldn't  be  out there  riding ....but if you want to , go  right ahead I hear hell ain't half  full yet ,i'm walking with a  spud.... this  site  is  ment  for  honest post  ...and   the brotherhood of fisherman  but  it's  changing fast now   we  do most of the reporting  in private messages for  several reasons  lurkers that  watch  the internet for a  bite  and  people  attacking .....another  7 weeks i'm flyfishing    ;D  be careful out there  my suggestion  keep spudding  good luck :thumbsup:

Or in some peoples cases like mine and yours we just call each other lol

Offline alfed

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #202 on: Feb 11, 2020, 12:24 PM »
Trap I hear what your saying and don't disagree.  But I'm hell bent on bringing back Shanty to what it once was.  I will post anyways. It's just my observations and try to be as accurate as I can. No my post aren't sanctioned by some government agency, and yes conditions can be different just a few yards away. Last year made me kinda gun shy about posting ,after long thoughts I decided. Screw the small minded people and try to help the average guy. Expand the knowledge base. I have posted this in different threads and maybe this one. None of us can claim we learned 100% all by our self. Most of us learned from somebody else, we weren't born experts and will never be experts. A small tip here, a small tip there made us successful . For those reasons I will continue to pay it back for those who paid it forward for me. "Your spud is your most important equipment on sketchy ice"

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #203 on: Feb 11, 2020, 12:53 PM »
Alfed check your inbox

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #204 on: Feb 11, 2020, 01:00 PM »
Trap I hear what your saying and don't disagree.  But I'm hell bent on bringing back Shanty to what it once was.  I will post anyways. It's just my observations and try to be as accurate as I can. No my post aren't sanctioned by some government agency, and yes conditions can be different just a few yards away. Last year made me kinda gun shy about posting ,after long thoughts I decided. Screw the small minded people and try to help the average guy. Expand the knowledge base. I have posted this in different threads and maybe this one. None of us can claim we learned 100% all by our self. Most of us learned from somebody else, we weren't born experts and will never be experts. A small tip here, a small tip there made us successful . For those reasons I will continue to pay it back for those who paid it forward for me. "Your spud is your most important equipment on sketchy ice"
👍
Disclaimer:
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #205 on: Feb 11, 2020, 02:13 PM »
I have  not  been out this  year  without my spud in hand! and you can't  spud  while riding a  snowmobile ,that's  my  first observation ,my second  this year I have  found  more  good ice go bad  within a  few yards then I ever have  before ,so you can't  be sure. fishing, I have had a good year , walleyes and  some  nice perch on Oneida and  lots of  gills  other places ......I  was  fishing  when most people were waiting  , either I traveled a little or  fished  open water ,I don't understand   why other  guys  didn't  fish the open water  too .....my  advice  is ,be real careful  it's a dangerous year, use a  spud  get a  float suit or  a co2 vest ice spikes rope .and   take  your  time in this slush  heart attack will kill you just as dead as drowning. good  luck 

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #206 on: Feb 12, 2020, 02:18 PM »
I feel the need for perch this weekend lol I've been out on the ice 2 times this season and not once on sodus. So hopefully klino will point me to the promised Land  ;D
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #207 on: Feb 12, 2020, 03:20 PM »
I feel the need for perch this weekend lol I've been out on the ice 2 times this season and not once on sodus. So hopefully klino will point me to the promised Land  ;D

Good luck with that he couldn't catch a fish at bass pros pond. LOL 

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #208 on: Feb 12, 2020, 03:25 PM »

Good luck with that he couldn't catch a fish at bass pros pond. LOL

Yeah should probably fish with his daughter, she catches em all  ;D
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #209 on: Feb 12, 2020, 03:28 PM »
Yeah should probably fish with his daughter, she catches em all  ;D

My point exactly

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.