New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Sodus Bay BS Thread  (Read 47632 times)

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
Re: Sodus Bay BS Thread
« Reply #150 on: Feb 04, 2020, 03:46 PM »
Good stuff, priceless....

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #151 on: Feb 04, 2020, 03:53 PM »
Not hijacking bud I'm sure you made a lot of us smile...thank you, my Dad and Mom were fisher people I was blessed.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #152 on: Feb 04, 2020, 03:54 PM »
 Great fish young lady , nothing better for dinner

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #153 on: Feb 04, 2020, 03:56 PM »
Not hijacking bud I'm sure you made a lot of us smile...thank you, my Dad and Mom were fisher people I was blessed.
[/quoted
 some young Kracken pics would be nice 🙄

Offline klino2280

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #154 on: Feb 04, 2020, 07:55 PM »

You are most welcome. When I see any of my 3 daughters(14,12&4 years) smile from an outdoor activity, it melts my heart. I get tears of joy seeing their excitement level. My 12 year old loves to go late season duck hunting, even though she doesnt quite shoot herself yet. She calls out the flocks and the "loaners"... My 12&4 year olds drive around and scout snow geese, and help me package, vacuum seal, label, and grind up my deer. Sometimes they would rather have their heads burrows in their smart phones, tablets, and social media. When we hunt or fish together, they typically wont even bring them along because they don't want to lose it or break it. Regardless of their reason, it forces them to spend time detoxing from the rest of life while o. The ice or in the woods. These outdoor activities are not only fun for us, but they also provide good,quality food that is fresh, and as organic and natural as it can get. Most importantly, the activities help teach them discipline. Following rules, bag limits, daily limits, legal shooting times, following ice safety rules ( I practice safety with them, teaching them how to get out if we have an emergency...etc etc)

Sometimes it's hard for them to see the benefits of all those things at their ages, but I hope they will appreciate it and thank me later in life.

And as many of you guys have said, enjoy the times now because they grow up fast.

On a side note, it would be great to not have many more warm ups for a while so we can get an ice quality that I feel comfortable taking my daughters out on.

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work.

Offline 2muchleft

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #155 on: Feb 08, 2020, 08:17 AM »
Thought I would bump this again to see if anyone has ventured out yet today.  Still snowing hard by the lake in Irondequoit this morning.  Hoping somehow Sodus is not as bad. 

Offline klino2280

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #156 on: Feb 08, 2020, 08:57 AM »
Thought I would bump this again to see if anyone has ventured out yet today.  Still snowing hard by the lake in Irondequoit this morning.  Hoping somehow Sodus is not as bad.

A few fresh inches of snow had fallen overnight when I headed off to work this morning at 5am

Offline 2muchleft

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #157 on: Feb 08, 2020, 09:00 AM »
Thanks for the update.  Hoping to head over tomorrow AM.  Maybe a few trails out get blazed today.

Offline klino2280

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #158 on: Feb 08, 2020, 09:07 AM »
Thanks for the update.  Hoping to head over tomorrow AM.  Maybe a few trails out get blazed today.

I feel that is a safe assumption. However, exercise caution if you go out. The snow is hiding pressure cracks.

Heard of a few guys going for a cold swim off the south end attempting to cross a pressure crack.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #159 on: Feb 08, 2020, 09:32 AM »
I feel that is a safe assumption. However, exercise caution if you go out. The snow is hiding pressure cracks.

Heard of a few guys going for a cold swim off the south end attempting to cross a pressure crack.

Yes they did that was monday ot tuesday they went swimming
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline snow snake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #160 on: Feb 08, 2020, 11:13 AM »
good  all OK
where was this on south end?
snowsnake

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #161 on: Feb 08, 2020, 11:16 AM »
The slush set up real good. Easy drag today
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #162 on: Feb 08, 2020, 12:24 PM »
good  all OK
where was this on south end?

Near bait shops
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline snow snake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #163 on: Feb 08, 2020, 06:36 PM »
 Good idea to use care on ice as always
snowsnake

Offline LipRipper75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #164 on: Feb 08, 2020, 06:48 PM »
Is anyone using machines out of third creek?  I have heard the ice is 5 inches thick.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #165 on: Feb 08, 2020, 06:59 PM »
Is anyone using machines out of third creek?  I have heard the ice is 5 inches thick.

I wouldn't take a machine out yet last Sunday we went from 4 inches of ice to ice we could hear cracking below us

Offline LipRipper75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #166 on: Feb 08, 2020, 07:06 PM »
Thanks.  I'll check it out on foot tomorrow.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #167 on: Feb 08, 2020, 07:18 PM »
Thanks.  I'll check it out on foot tomorrow.

No problem would hate to see a machine go in with crazy winter we have had

Offline snow snake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #168 on: Feb 09, 2020, 11:56 AM »
today    12;30   there   were two fishermen that fell through
and rescued  at Brisco cove, third creek area
thanks to the Sodus Point , Alton  for the BRAVE !!! firemen
BECAREFUL !!!!
snowsnake

Offline alfed

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #169 on: Feb 09, 2020, 12:27 PM »
Amen, just came off rescue said they are okay. It's a notorious spot in a good ice conditions there
"Can't catch'em if you are on the couch!"

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #170 on: Feb 09, 2020, 05:16 PM »
today    12;30   there   were two fishermen that fell through
and rescued  at Brisco cove, third creek area
thanks to the Sodus Point , Alton  for the BRAVE !!! firemen
BECAREFUL !!!!
Amen, just came off rescue said they are okay. It's a notorious spot in a good ice conditions there
Just wanted to say that I’m glad the gentleman that fell thru is ok. But a correction to snow snakes comment, there was one man that fell thru over in the area of Newark and eagle islands coming from the third creek area. As stated many times before THERE IS/WAS OPEN WATER TO THE WEST OF EAGLE ISLAND AND SOUTH OF NEWARK ISLAND. THERE IS BREAK/SHOVE ICE FROM THORNTON POINT TO NEWARK ISLAND THE BAY IS NOT SAFE TO JUST GO OFF WILLY NILLY. please every one let this lucky end situation remind us to be humble and pay attention.
I found a lot of slush from the south end up to Bonnie castle about 8/9” total ice when I stopped even with Nicholas pt, 6 was good 3 was crap ice as I went further north the ice thickness and quality went away fast. In about 200 yds it was down to 6” total and 2 were good 4 was crap, and yes as most prolly saw there is a slush pocket in center of the ice layers.
Be careful the bite is off right now at the moment so maybe stay home for a few days.
Good luck all be safe
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #171 on: Feb 09, 2020, 05:20 PM »
Just wanted to say that I’m glad the gentleman that fell thru is ok. But a correction to snow snakes comment, there was one man that fell thru over in the area of Newark and eagle islands coming from the third creek area. As stated many times before THERE IS/WAS OPEN WATER TO THE WEST OF EAGLE ISLAND AND SOUTH OF NEWARK ISLAND. THERE IS BREAK/SHOVE ICE FROM THORNTON POINT TO NEWARK ISLAND THE BAY IS NOT SAFE TO JUST GO OFF WILLY NILLY. please every one let this lucky end situation remind us to be humble and pay attention.
I found a lot of slush from the south end up to Bonnie castle about 8/9” total ice when I stopped even with Nicholas pt, 6 was good 3 was crap ice as I went further north the ice thickness and quality went away fast. In about 200 yds it was down to 6” total and 2 were good 4 was crap, and yes as most prolly saw there is a slush pocket in center of the ice layers.
Be careful the bite is off right now at the moment so maybe stay home for a few days.
Good luck all be safe

Was just on the news 2 people went in a guy and his 10 year old son. The son got out on his own dad was in water for around 20 minutes

Offline CW88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #172 on: Feb 09, 2020, 07:19 PM »
Yeah the ice was definitely sketchy in spots out in front of 3rd creek where we were saw more 4 wheelers than I thought should be out there. Thank god that father and his kid are ok.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #173 on: Feb 09, 2020, 07:21 PM »
Yeah the ice was definitely sketchy in spots out in front of 3rd creek where we were saw more 4 wheelers than I thought should be out there. Thank god that father and his kid are ok.

I've been saying that all week I have a machine and I'm not using it and I dont think anyone else should be either

Offline alfed

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #174 on: Feb 09, 2020, 07:55 PM »
Now that today's events are over,  and all are safe. Think about this..its reported that the man was in the water 20 minutes. 20 minutes to drop what your doing, race to the air boat, suit up, and head out to the scene. Carefully navigating away from the many other fishermen so not to jeopardise their safety. And make the rescue ....all in 20 minutes. How fortunate we are as fishermen to know those Hero's  are there. Especially with declining numbers of volunteers all over the state fire departments. Thanks from all us sometimes not so smart fishermen !!!
That being said that crust will be softening to slush with tomorrow's warm temps. Use exstreme caution.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #175 on: Feb 09, 2020, 07:59 PM »
Now that today's events are over,  and all are safe. Think about this..its reported that the man was in the water 20 minutes. 20 minutes to drop what your doing, race to the air boat, suit up, and head out to the scene. Carefully navigating away from the many other fishermen so not to jeopardise their safety. And make the rescue ....all in 20 minutes. How fortunate we are as fishermen to know those Hero's  are there. Especially with declining numbers of volunteers all over the state fire departments. Thanks from all us sometimes not so smart fishermen !!!
That being said that crust will be softening to slush with tomorrow's warm temps. Use exstreme caution.

I second that and yes use extreme caution the next 2 days til it gets extreme cold agin later in the week

Offline FrozenJig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #176 on: Feb 09, 2020, 08:00 PM »
Couldn't have said it better alfed, amen to all and much respect to ALL of our first responders.
Look for the beer flag, that's where i'm at

Offline perryt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #177 on: Feb 10, 2020, 05:27 AM »
No way should anyone UNFAMILIAR with current conditions be out riding a machine around Sodus Bay unless you have a death wish …..PERIOD !! I saw way too many out there Sunday 
ice fishing rules

Offline klino2280

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #178 on: Feb 10, 2020, 09:05 AM »
No way should anyone UNFAMILIAR with current conditions be out riding a machine around Sodus Bay unless you have a death wish …..PERIOD !! I saw way too many out there Sunday

Preach!!!!

I wouldn't even recommend machines to seasoned guys that are familiar. People keep forgetting how inconsistent the ice is.

It is no where near uniform.

Offline alfed

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #179 on: Feb 10, 2020, 09:57 AM »
Preach!!!!

I wouldn't even recommend machines to seasoned guys that are familiar. People keep forgetting how inconsistent the ice is.

It is no where near uniform.
I was shocked to see the machines running around like there was 2 foot of ice yesterday. It's sketchy just walking.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.