New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346835 times)

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #11280 on: Feb 15, 2021, 01:46 PM »
Just get up earlier than the googans. If you want to fish bad enough it’s not an issue. They all leave by noon anyway...

I’ll go second shift after they leave and park before I get up hours before light. Warmer too, and beer thirty. Not concerned with the best bite.

Offline adk iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11281 on: Feb 15, 2021, 02:43 PM »
Well, the closing of the MDB parking lot didn't help anything after they paved it with porous pavement. You could put a 1000 care parking lot up there and it would fill.  Face facts, so many people have talked about, posted pictures of, and hyped up the greatness of Lake George that of course every parking spot will be filled by 6am. Now with the explosion of popularity of icefishing combined with the disrespect of today's culture and no wonder private access spots are shut down. Who wants to deal with trash on the ground, people parking where they aren't suppose to, property damaged.  Unfortunately we, as a community, are our own worst enemies.   
. Nailed it
Can I go fishing? Unless it’s on Brant, I can’t.

Offline got em

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11282 on: Feb 15, 2021, 03:10 PM »
 ;D welcome to the jungle  ;D

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11283 on: Feb 15, 2021, 03:44 PM »
Jut FYI for guys w quads especially off vets..once you leave that bay ice thickness drops off extremely quick. We went from 8" to 2" only 100' feet away. Be careful. Thickness varies. Also ice eater along shore sending finger of open water and thinner ice quit ways out. Further than normal. Ice eater must be pointed out. Few houses down from access
New snow may hide it. Use caution

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11284 on: Feb 15, 2021, 04:08 PM »
People always seem to say the same thing when others complain about spot sharing destroying things "oh I am just trying to help someone out or I love to fish I do not see the harm in helping someone"

The problem is you aren't just helping someone. You are helping everyone with the internet and not just today, but for as long as that site is available which will likely be a very long time. Go ahead and help your friends get better at fishing or share spots with them if you would like, but just think about all the other people that had fished in a spot and now it is blown up. One of my favorite perch lakes has been mentioned on this site over the past 4 years more and more until last year it was pretty much a zoo out there every day. The fishery has declined every year to where it is today where it has went from my favorite perch place to a place that I do not fish.

Do not disagree, but PM’s could be used more frequently to limit the widespread broadcast of protected info. Telling guys what baits and depth worked for you is mostly harmless info. Fish change behavior and patterns frequently so maybe it works one day but not the next... This is a hobby, so unless you are a guide I really do not see the harm in giving tips. I know if I want to fish a certain spot and people are there I am not going to set up on top of them. That discourtesy is a whole different argument. If you are fishing right next to everyone, you are doing it wrong...

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11285 on: Feb 15, 2021, 04:44 PM »

Do not disagree, but PM’s could be used more frequently to limit the widespread broadcast of protected info. Telling guys what baits and depth worked for you is mostly harmless info. Fish change behavior and patterns frequently so maybe it works one day but not the next... This is a hobby, so unless you are a guide I really do not see the harm in giving tips. I know if I want to fish a certain spot and people are there I am not going to set up on top of them. That discourtesy is a whole different argument. If you are fishing right next to everyone, you are doing it wrong...

Agree about sharing fishing techniques.

Offline Slowtroller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11286 on: Feb 15, 2021, 06:19 PM »
Jut FYI for guys w quads especially off vets..once you leave that bay ice thickness drops off extremely quick. We went from 8" to 2" only 100' feet away. Be careful. Thickness varies. Also ice eater along shore sending finger of open water and thinner ice quit ways out. Further than normal. Ice eater must be pointed out. Few houses down from access
New snow may hide it. Use caution

Pilot knob Saturday.. guys were saying 5 plus inches.. not in some spots.. be careful after the snow

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11287 on: Feb 15, 2021, 07:28 PM »

Pilot knob Saturday.. guys were saying 5 plus inches.. not in some spots.. be careful after the snow

Don't worry I saw 6 or 7 sled rip over ice I know was only 2 inches yesterday. They'll likely find the weak spots for the fishermen.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11288 on: Feb 16, 2021, 01:55 AM »
Its all about who you know, not what you know.  Like high school children. Everyone whose been around here 5 or 6 years sees the same thing.

You coming to visit this year?

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11289 on: Feb 16, 2021, 05:53 AM »
That's why I mentioned social media being the problem in a different thread that got locked. We are in the look at me generation.  People are making it too easy for others to creep on spots and parking. Loose lips sink ships...that applies to about everything in life now. My cousins always used to say. Good things always come to an end. Its one thing to show pics to buddies, but  to post on interwebs for thousands to see. Gotta get those likes and follows
Wayyy to easy for people, it’s not even the guys on here that you have to think about when something about access gets posted, I remember driving around the whole lake on almost every road I could find on maps to see if there was a little access point here or there, those days are over no ob wants to put in that effort, most forget it’s a public site and anyone can see the bs threads, so what’s the harm in that some may ask? You just let the whole globe know where your fishing what you caught and probably even left distinct land marks in the background to let people know people have to start having more care and need an ego deflation it will only get worse and worse tho

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11290 on: Feb 16, 2021, 08:20 AM »
What kind of snow did the lake get? Im in Saratoga county and we were supposed to get snow then sleet/freezing rain but we end up just getting sleet/freezing rain. Zero snow. What happened up north?

Offline mdougla1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11291 on: Feb 16, 2021, 08:28 AM »
What kind of snow did the lake get? Im in Saratoga county and we were supposed to get snow then sleet/freezing rain but we end up just getting sleet/freezing rain. Zero snow. What happened up north?
[/quote

Maybe 2 inches in whitehall.  Fingers crossed we get this lucky again later this week
I'm not saying they're biting on Brant.  But they probably are

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11292 on: Feb 16, 2021, 11:05 AM »
You coming to visit this year?

Unfortunately not, Ill be living vicariously through the LG BS thread this year. 
Friends don't let Friends use Tip-Ups

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11293 on: Feb 16, 2021, 11:27 AM »
Unfortunately not, Ill be living vicariously through the LG BS thread this year.

That is the saddest news I've heard in a while.  Wanna try for a giant laker out there?  Perhaps I'll go for a ride.

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11294 on: Feb 16, 2021, 12:17 PM »
That is the saddest news I've heard in a while.  Wanna try for a giant laker out there?  Perhaps I'll go for a ride.

Come on out anytime,  Im on the ice at least once a week!  The primary lake trout fishery around here (granby) has been getting pounded this year since everyone now thinks ice fishing is cool but every time out you always have a legit chance at a 20lb'er.   Only thing is the lakers dont really chase, its more of a finesse bite which can be very frustrating.  Get a lot of them on the drop.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11295 on: Feb 16, 2021, 02:20 PM »
Come on out anytime,  Im on the ice at least once a week!  The primary lake trout fishery around here (granby) has been getting pounded this year since everyone now thinks ice fishing is cool but every time out you always have a legit chance at a 20lb'er.   Only thing is the lakers dont really chase, its more of a finesse bite which can be very frustrating.  Get a lot of them on the drop.

Isn't there another fishery in Ft. Peck with big ones?  Last time I went to CO...I almost didn't leave!

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11296 on: Feb 16, 2021, 03:07 PM »
Isn't there another fishery in Ft. Peck with big ones?  Last time I went to CO...I almost didn't leave!

Fort Peck lake is in Montana, but yes there are monsters in that lake as well.  We have Lake Granby and Blue Mesa Reservoir.  Blue Mesa is kinda comparable to Fort Peck.  All three can produce 20+lb'ers on the daily.

Offline IceJam75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11297 on: Feb 17, 2021, 09:28 AM »
Out of Vets Park this morning. Easiest drag you’ll ever find. Marking fish in 30’ water. Don’t seem very hungry.

Ice is a solid 6” around the first island.

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #11298 on: Feb 17, 2021, 09:35 AM »

I was out in the afternoon out of PK. Maybe 2-3" of crusty snow on the ice. made for an easy drag to get out. by end of the day the warmth turned most of it to slush. id imagine it will freeze up nicely though with current temps. I dont expect it too be too difficult of a drag. Had 8" in one hole which was much thicker than expected, next hole 50' away had 4.5". As always, especially out in that deep water with new snow preventing you from seeing the ice, spud spud spud.

Offline Nick_

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11299 on: Feb 19, 2021, 09:31 AM »
Is it safe enough to go out on hearthstone on Saturday? Trying to get my brother on his first laker.

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #11300 on: Feb 19, 2021, 09:40 AM »
Is it safe enough to go out on hearthstone on Saturday? Trying to get my brother on his first laker.

yes it is. ppl have been out of hearthstone for a few weeks now. be careful with the hill. I know with recent freezing rain and snow it was giving guys trouble.

Offline Lundpredator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11301 on: Feb 19, 2021, 09:56 AM »
Have people been out of there with quads and sled?  I was down closer to million dollar last weekend and measure 6"

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11302 on: Feb 19, 2021, 10:06 AM »
Have people been out of there with quads and sled?  I was down closer to million dollar last weekend and measure 6"

Yes but I wouldn't go out and bomb around unless you know the ice you are on.  Some big ridges shaping up now.

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #11303 on: Feb 19, 2021, 10:48 AM »
Heads up to anyone venturing out past AP I was near an island and my foot did go through. The ice was 6-7 inches all around. I went into more shallow water. There had been a huge rock that caused the ice to not freeze up good. The ice had to be about an inch and a half. Be careful going near caution buoys or near rocky areas.

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #11304 on: Feb 19, 2021, 12:32 PM »
We are hitting the King tommorow. 4 lakers, 100 perch please. Thaaank you... :icefish:
Master Laker taker.

Offline pikeman3033

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11305 on: Feb 19, 2021, 03:47 PM »
Does anyone know if there have been any 4 wheelers out on huddle yet? Hoping to bring mine up on Sunday.

Offline Paulieperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11306 on: Feb 19, 2021, 04:47 PM »
Good luck

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11307 on: Feb 19, 2021, 05:26 PM »
We are hitting the King tommorow. 4 lakers, 100 perch please. Thaaank you... :icefish:

Good luck.

Offline Walkin624

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11308 on: Feb 19, 2021, 06:52 PM »
Can anyone tell me how the ice is around pilots knob? 
A bad day fishin still beats a good day at work!!

Offline Jake1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11309 on: Feb 19, 2021, 09:32 PM »
Can anyone tell me how the ice is around pilots knob?

seriously...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.