New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346702 times)

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #10590 on: Feb 04, 2020, 06:56 PM »
Lake George is the weirdest lake. It tightens up from the south to the north. The best ice is always to the south. You would think that it colder up north and would freeze first but it’s the opposite. Early ice is better to the south. MDB, Harris Bay, Huddle
The Northern part of the lake is generally deeper on average so it takes longer to freeze. Most of the areas you see freeze first are shallower bays, protected by wind, or both. Notice the big area of open water in the middle down south where its deep, surrounded by ice.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline allfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10591 on: Feb 04, 2020, 07:27 PM »
So got out on Bolton today did ok some perch. But what I saw pissed me off. There were a lot of cigarette buts on the ice. Would it kill you to bring a bag out with you so you don’t crap up the ice. They are lighter than the full cigarette.
Fish  till it hurts

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10592 on: Feb 05, 2020, 06:05 AM »
Would it kill you to bring a bag out with you so you don’t crap up the ice. They are lighter than the full cigarette.
Throw em in your sled, put them in your bucket, put them in your pocket for crying out loud! Some smokers(not all,calm down guys!)are such pigs.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #10593 on: Feb 05, 2020, 08:51 AM »
Throw em in your sled, put them in your bucket, put them in your pocket for crying out loud! Some smokers(not all,calm down guys!)are such pigs.

That's what I do. I field strip them and chuck the butt in my sled. I clean my sled after every trip anyways.

I'm a smoker and it bugs the crap out of me when i see butts on the ice, but yeah most smokers are lazy or just dont think about the environment
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #10594 on: Feb 05, 2020, 08:52 AM »
Went out off Huletts last two days. 5-6" of ice everywhere i drilled, tried about 15 locations across the basin. Softened slightly by the end of the day yesterday, however the ice was really solid. felt safer than i did on the bays (warner/ harris) last week. Never made it down to the pressure ridge to the south, but could see the ice piled up along the fault. One spot of open water on the western side of the lake. Furthest south i went was the shoal to the north of Burgess island and the single hump just to its northwest, and all the way up north to the depressions between Sabbath-Day point and Taft Point with a stop at 3 Chimney Shoal for some fertilizer as well. Targeting Lakers, a decent number of chasers (biting was a different story :roflmao:) when we found them but had to weave thru a bunch of empty holes to do so. Had to keep moving to find them so thankfully the drag was easy.  8 fish over last two days. 4 between 23-24" and then the other 4 were 20-23". Super chunky fish so they are most definitely eating well.

One thing i did notice was a lot of bait. Havent ever registered that much bait before on the King. I can tell when we had smelt schools but i am perplexed as to what the other bait might have been that we were marking. Stayed hugged to the bottom, never coming more than a foot or two off. Marked them consistently from 60'-90'. Maybe alewives or cisco's? We tried throwing some tungstens at them occasionally hoping to snag one, but on 3# test line and an ultralight in 90 fow, we werent necessarily setting ourselves up for success haha.

Coolest thing besides the big eagle that greeted us as we walked out had to of been a laker taking a swipe at my perch (i was in about 45 fow) as i was about to pull it thru the hole. Had ~5" perch and as it was a few inches from coming out of the hole, a laker shot across the hole like a missile and swiped at the perch. I popped my jig out and tried to jig right under the ice and it came back, circled once and then went on its merry way. Both times it was inches under the ice when it cruised through. Ive seen 1 fish cruising up under the ice before while in my shanty, but never have experienced that. Super cool.   

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10595 on: Feb 05, 2020, 09:33 AM »
That's what I do. I field strip them and chuck the butt in my sled. I clean my sled after every trip anyways.

I'm a smoker and it bugs the crap out of me when i see butts on the ice, but yeah most smokers are lazy or just dont think about the environment

.....or their health! 😁

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #10596 on: Feb 05, 2020, 09:43 AM »
fished hearthstone, ice was all over the place, one hole has 5 to 6, drill in the darker ice and it was 2 to 3 inches.

it was safe for me and when I left mid afternoon, there was minimal water on the edges.

They were a good amount of guys on the ice.

Slow day, i only caught 5 lakers, biggest was 30 inches but he was skinny. it was just good to catch them chasing instead of finessing them like I have had to.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline delay18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10597 on: Feb 05, 2020, 09:48 AM »
Heading up this weekend to take my father and nephews fishing. Thinking of hitting Lake George, but nervous of conditions especially with young kids. Any recent reports off Pilot Knob beach or MDB? I am looking for something without a huge walk to good depth (father has bad knees) or a place where he can ride out the wheeler.

I really appreciate and advise and feel free to PM if you prefer not to post here.
Rob

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10598 on: Feb 05, 2020, 10:25 AM »
Heading up this weekend to take my father and nephews fishing. Thinking of hitting Lake George, but nervous of conditions especially with young kids. Any recent reports off Pilot Knob beach or MDB? I am looking for something without a huge walk to good depth (father has bad knees) or a place where he can ride out the wheeler.

I really appreciate and advise and feel free to PM if you prefer not to post here.

I'd have a back up plan.  Plenty of other bodies of water that should be good for a wheeler but LG is not one of them, especially with the warm weather the last couple days and the incoming snow.
westernmas on the finder

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10599 on: Feb 05, 2020, 10:41 AM »
Leave the quads at home for lake George unless you want to go swimming. They are also expecting 8-12” of snow/ mixed crap by Friday night, then its gonna get real cold but that won’t do much with the snow insulation. As far as pilots knob, I’m pretty sure you need a boat to fish there still.

Offline Jlay_upstateny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10600 on: Feb 05, 2020, 10:41 AM »
It's a cold world out there... I saved a deer once...dragged it off the ice 2 years ago after it got chased out there... These coyotes tore this one to shreds though

Hunting trouts.

Offline delay18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10601 on: Feb 05, 2020, 10:49 AM »
Leave the quads at home for lake George unless you want to go swimming. They are also expecting 8-12” of snow/ mixed crap by Friday night, then its gonna get real cold but that won’t do much with the snow insulation. As far as pilots knob, I’m pretty sure you need a boat to fish there still.
I'd have a back up plan.  Plenty of other bodies of water that should be good for a wheeler but LG is not one of them, especially with the warm weather the last couple days and the incoming snow.

Thanks guys. That seems to be the consensus. If it was me and a buddy we'd walk out. I think with Dad and the kids I am just going to stick to Schroon and/or Brant so I can get them out there easier.

Thanks for the info!!
Rob

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10602 on: Feb 05, 2020, 11:19 AM »

As a smoker I 100% agree with you. I personally carry an old spikes container that I put all my butts into while on the ice. When I get home I simply empty them into the trash. It is really simple and takes no time at all.
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10603 on: Feb 05, 2020, 12:09 PM »

Fish schroon pm me bud happy to help

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10604 on: Feb 05, 2020, 12:35 PM »
It's a cold world out there... I saved a deer once...dragged it off the ice 2 years ago after it got chased out there... These coyotes tore this one to shreds though

Heard this guy getting wrecked in the dark off pilot knob last year. Couldn't see it until sun up but happened about 300 yards from me. I'm guessing they came back that evening to finish up. The noises were unholy.

Offline Chase88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10605 on: Feb 05, 2020, 03:04 PM »
They always seem to chase two or three off Buck Mt every year to the area near Phelps.... bad way to go.

Offline icebuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10606 on: Feb 06, 2020, 03:59 AM »
A few years back I was fishing there and heard coyotes up on the mountain that morning. Coincidently, a construction worker I know rescued a small buck that had gotten in the water near a dock he was working at Pt. Comfort that same morning. I wondered if it was the same deer. He said it was pretty weak as it wondered off.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10607 on: Feb 06, 2020, 05:50 AM »
Yay snow  ::)  ::) :-\

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #10608 on: Feb 06, 2020, 07:57 AM »

LMAO, I hear ya man..... :-\

Gonna be interesting this weekend, ill have my spud ready  ;)

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10609 on: Feb 06, 2020, 08:11 AM »
How much snow did you guys get up there so far?

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #10610 on: Feb 06, 2020, 08:34 AM »
How much snow did you guys get up there so far?

X2

Really interested to find out so I can plan ahead

Offline mdougla1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10611 on: Feb 06, 2020, 08:51 AM »
X2

eastern side of the lake has at least 6" already.

I'm not saying they're biting on Brant.  But they probably are

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10612 on: Feb 06, 2020, 09:19 AM »

It's going to get fairly cold for a couple of days after. Maybe, just maybe the foot of snow will turn to slush in the open water and freeze. That's what happened down here in the Albany area with the 20 inch dump and lots of places that weren't really cold enough to freeze locked up.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10613 on: Feb 06, 2020, 09:27 AM »
X2

I fished yesterday.  Judging by how much the open water moved south while I was out there...I am unsure if we'll be in the sams area this weekend.

Hit me up though we rented the house in Schoon again.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #10614 on: Feb 06, 2020, 09:32 AM »
I fished yesterday.  Judging by how much the open water moved south while I was out there...I am unsure if we'll be in the sams area this weekend.

Hit me up though we rented the house in Schoon again.

Thanks John, I'll let you know.

Im going with the usual suspects saturday  ;)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10615 on: Feb 06, 2020, 09:33 AM »
Thanks John, I'll let you know.

Im going with the usual suspects saturday  ;)

Ill be out there. 

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10616 on: Feb 06, 2020, 10:17 AM »
Good luck boys dragging thru all that snow coming  ;D
Go big or go home

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10617 on: Feb 06, 2020, 10:19 AM »
Good luck boys dragging thru all that snow coming  ;D

Im not dragging a thing.  What friends with snow dogs are for.

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10618 on: Feb 06, 2020, 10:21 AM »
Im not dragging a thing.  What friends with snow dogs are for.

Lucky u any room on the snowdog train ??? ;)
Go big or go home

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10619 on: Feb 06, 2020, 10:24 AM »
Lucky u any room on the snowdog train ??? ;)

Lol! I don’t mind dragging my mile but I’ll be solo this weekend I’ll just use the company

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.