New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346826 times)

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #9810 on: Feb 22, 2019, 08:15 PM »
I've got 3 daughters, 2 sisters and a wife.  5 gallon bucket is the way to go with a shanty for privacy.  They've all embraced it over the years...rinse, fill with your catch.  Win, win.  Good stuff!

pretty soon they won't need the bucket,  lol. My daughter ( 30 ) has adapted but yes, a bucket always comes in handy for many purposes

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9811 on: Feb 22, 2019, 08:17 PM »
At times 5am is late there..not early.  If the hill isnt icy that spot fills fast.
I've gotten there at 9 am and still parked.
Its a big area
You won't catch me leaving my house before 7am to join the circus .
I wait for all the big tops to be set up first

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9812 on: Feb 22, 2019, 08:30 PM »
At times 5am is late there..not early.  If the hill isnt icy that spot fills fast.

It’s funny,,, after leaving PK tonight I said to myself...I just have this feeling 5am is probably late for that spot haha. Just a hunch! Staying the night in Queensbury, I’ll roll up that way a bit earlier and see what she looks like  ::)

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9813 on: Feb 22, 2019, 08:37 PM »
Does RR up on the North end receive the same amount of pressure as Hearthstone on the weekends.....? If not perhaps, I’ll run up there for the solitude and scenery...

Offline Jlay_upstateny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9814 on: Feb 22, 2019, 09:06 PM »
Does RR up on the North end receive the same amount of pressure as Hearthstone on the weekends.....? If not perhaps, I’ll run up there for the solitude and scenery...
No, the north basin will definitely have less of a crowd.
Hunting trouts.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9815 on: Feb 22, 2019, 09:14 PM »

Not a bad idea at all bigger fish possible.

Offline captin bill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9816 on: Feb 23, 2019, 05:07 AM »
hearhstone yesterday road was real icy n no trailers venturing  to the bottom but better when I left at noon @)

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9817 on: Feb 23, 2019, 07:23 AM »
We struggled with the Lakers yesterday. Fished 75-97 FOW. Lakers stuck to the bottom. Ones that did chase just wouldn't hit. Dead sticking they would come off bottom and slam brakes on right at jig. Didn't mark a lot. I switched up jigs. All different size swimbaits, swedish pimples, smaller rattle jigs. Ended the day w 1 cisco between 3 of us. Marked more Cisco than Lakers. Maybe that was the problem. Hill at hearthstone was icy in am but got better when leaving. I usually leave 1 tires on the softer snow on side as making way down hill for more traction.

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9818 on: Feb 23, 2019, 05:46 PM »
Headed up Monday and Tuesday, not looking forward to the wind predicted on Monday (60+ mph gusts) anyone got any tips for securing a shanty in winds that high? We almost lost it on Champlain in 35 mph winds setting up once, don’t feel like chasing it across the lake.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9819 on: Feb 23, 2019, 06:16 PM »
I put my atv between the shanty and the wind. One strap to the atv and 3 ice angles. If you have snow to throw on the skirt it helps a ton

Offline perchinmybucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9820 on: Feb 23, 2019, 08:02 PM »
I jigged up 10 Cisco’s and every single one was used today. The only thing they would eat  ::) lazy lakers want an easy meal!

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9821 on: Feb 23, 2019, 08:45 PM »
what's the trick to catching the cisco

Offline Fishmarket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9822 on: Feb 23, 2019, 09:01 PM »
No, the north basin will definitely have less of a crowd.

No so this weekend.  It's the Hague derby.  RR was full today as well as most the north end. 
AM

Fishmon

« Reply #9823 on: Feb 24, 2019, 06:37 AM »
Not a bad idea at all bigger fish possible.

:) ;)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9824 on: Feb 24, 2019, 08:14 AM »
Headed up Monday and Tuesday, not looking forward to the wind predicted on Monday (60+ mph gusts) anyone got any tips for securing a shanty in winds that high? We almost lost it on Champlain in 35 mph winds setting up once, don’t feel like chasing it across the lake.

I wouldn't attempt anything but my flipover in wind that strong.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9825 on: Feb 24, 2019, 08:33 AM »
I wouldn’t go ice fishing in those predicted winds  ;D

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9826 on: Feb 24, 2019, 08:57 AM »

Yeah I don’t like the idea, but I also don’t like the idea of bringing the one man, and having my buddy sit on my lap.  Looks like they are downgrading the winds in the area now, but still pretty bad

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9827 on: Feb 24, 2019, 09:14 AM »
Something we would do with a hardside is drill a hole and put a 2x4 in with a rope.
It may work on the guy lines.
I'm not sure what else you can do for the corners . Just make sure you screw them all the way down otherwise they will bend.
Setting up and taking down will be the challenge.
Good luck and be safe

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9828 on: Feb 24, 2019, 11:27 AM »
Anyone know how the ice is from mdb to the Long Island area ? I’m assuming it’s solid by now. I haven’t been in the area yet this year

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9829 on: Feb 24, 2019, 11:50 AM »

I’ve used a 20” piece of 3/4 pvc electrical conduit. Drill your first hole and have a strap tied onto the center of the conduit. Drop the conduit down the hole vertical, when it’s fully under the ice maneuver it so it catches evenly under the ice horizontally, then hook up your shanty. From there repeat lining up your shanty. Do not rely on the factory straps the buckles pop. Upgrade to something beefier. I use ratchet straps. With a metal buckle. The pvc electrical conduit (grey) is strong enough to not bend, and heavy enough to drop in the water and not have to be pushed like wood. Makes for easy break down. Bring an extra length in case you need to help guide the others back up. 

Offline wolfpak3770

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spike Em Joey!!!
« Reply #9830 on: Feb 24, 2019, 12:32 PM »
Anyone know how the ice is from mdb to the Long Island area ? I’m assuming it’s solid by now. I haven’t been in the area yet this year
I was in that area yesterday,  all sorts of machines out including a couple of pick ups. Ice is solid.
👮👮👮

Offline JneedsNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9831 on: Feb 24, 2019, 12:48 PM »

Agreed. I’ve been in 40mph wind and that can be pretty damn dicey. Lost a a few things to Mother Nature that day.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9832 on: Feb 24, 2019, 01:00 PM »
I was in that area yesterday,  all sorts of machines out including a couple of pick ups. Ice is solid.

Thanks. Plan on doing some laker fishing out in the deep and then hit up a bay for some perch. Thanks.

Offline lgdiver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9833 on: Feb 24, 2019, 06:38 PM »

You’re good, I rode from Million Dollar Beach yesterday to the end of Long Island (west side) on my two up sled with a passenger. Nothing but 10”+ ice.

Offline Justinrc21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9834 on: Feb 24, 2019, 07:36 PM »
Any reports for northwest bay? I’m sure the ice is there, are the fish there biting?
'For those who have defended it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know' ~Unknown~

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9835 on: Feb 24, 2019, 08:13 PM »
Anyone ever hear of splake caught in lake George. Caught a real dark one and a local guy told me it was a splake.

Offline Fishmongerlyndon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9836 on: Feb 25, 2019, 09:11 AM »
honestly it is possible, however incredibly unlikely, Lake trout are highly variable  and it is possible you just caught a very dark fish. Look at lakes like Schroon or Piseco, most of their fish are almost black, with the light ones being the minority.

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9837 on: Feb 25, 2019, 09:18 AM »
We are up here now, it is def too windy for a shanty, sustained winds not too bad but these gust are bananas.  Saw a tractor trailer almost blow over on the highway.  Anyone know any sheltered smaller ponds lakes in the area we might want to check out?

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #9838 on: Feb 25, 2019, 09:24 AM »
We are up here now, it is def too windy for a shanty, sustained winds not too bad but these gust are bananas.  Saw a tractor trailer almost blow over on the highway.  Anyone know any sheltered smaller ponds lakes in the area we might want to check out?

You could try Lake Luzerne about 10 miles west of Lake George village.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9839 on: Feb 25, 2019, 09:35 AM »
You could try Lake Luzerne about 10 miles west of Lake George village.

Minerva Lake might be an option too
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.