New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346758 times)

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #9270 on: Jan 30, 2019, 08:48 PM »
Holy Crap!!!!!!!! No thank you, I am from Tupper Lake we have that much ice in the summer. Hahaha

3" of clear ice is rated to hold a lot more weight than most realize, here is a table from the army corps of engineers

http://rivergages.mvr.usace.army.mil/WaterControl/Districts/MVP/reports/ice/ice_load.html

And early ice jigging IS that good.
Friends don't let Friends use Tip-Ups

Offline perchinmybucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9271 on: Jan 30, 2019, 10:10 PM »
I was on 4" out of vets over deep water on sunday and we crossed one ridge that is there every year. Super sketchy. We had a pressure crack split right under the shack and it shook my shanty. I then changed my underwear. The fishing was not good for us. Must have marked 40 fish that would chase and just not eat. I should have down sized but was too stubborn. I lost a few and we only landed 3. Some days every fish that chases is chomping down. I need a few lessons from one of the professors on here. ;D I have solid spots I just cant figure them out the days they dont want to bite but are still willing to chase.

Offline Ziehnertfish007

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9272 on: Jan 30, 2019, 11:22 PM »
I was on 4" out of vets over deep water on sunday and we crossed one ridge that is there every year. Super sketchy. We had a pressure crack split right under the shack and it shook my shanty. I then changed my underwear. The fishing was not good for us. Must have marked 40 fish that would chase and just not eat. I should have down sized but was too stubborn. I lost a few and we only landed 3. Some days every fish that chases is chomping down. I need a few lessons from one of the professors on here. ;D I have solid spots I just cant figure them out the days they dont want to bite but are still willing to chase.

I was having the same exact issue at my laker spot, tons of marks but few fish committing. I had smelt oil on my lures but it did not seem to make any difference. I threw everything at them, could not find something they really wanted. Caught all 4 fish on 4 different lures

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9273 on: Jan 31, 2019, 04:24 AM »

We had the same issue with the ridges.  Garufi could have stepped into the hole it made by destroying the 2 holes in his shanty.  The back of my flipover was sinking into it.  He was swearing at me.  I was marking too.  What a morning.  Drag back sucked but...I got a pair over 30"

Offline icecaptain14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9274 on: Jan 31, 2019, 05:10 AM »
Any ice reports for Bolton out by dome

Offline Icelife4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit the b***hin and start fishin
« Reply #9275 on: Jan 31, 2019, 06:30 AM »
Id have to agree . More like 3-4” over 100fow . With 2” of water in the shanty by 2pm 😂 worth it to me
Jigging Lakers must be a blast if you crazy guys are willing to be in 100 ft of water on 5 inches of ice. You guys lost me at the patches of thin ice phrase.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9276 on: Jan 31, 2019, 07:28 AM »
Id have to agree . More like 3-4” over 100fow . With 2” of water in the shanty by 2pm 😂 worth it to me

Offline perchinmybucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9277 on: Jan 31, 2019, 08:10 AM »
We had the same issue with the ridges.  Garufi could have stepped into the hole it made by destroying the 2 holes in his shanty.  The back of my flipover was sinking into it.  He was swearing at me.  I was marking too.  What a morning.  Drag back sucked but...I got a pair over 30"

I got to try out my new smitty and I honestly would have died without it. The only thing that sucked was the snow building up on the bottom of my feet. What a nightmare. Hopefully I can get out tomorrow with some better success. Think I’m going to go to the north basin. I heard the fish are hungry up there 🙄

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9278 on: Jan 31, 2019, 08:54 AM »
I got to try out my new smitty and I honestly would have died without it. The only thing that sucked was the snow building up on the bottom of my feet. What a nightmare. Hopefully I can get out tomorrow with some better success. Think I’m going to go to the north basin. I heard the fish are hungry up there 🙄

I think I will be making a run to the north end also next time up on LG
Go big or go home

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9279 on: Jan 31, 2019, 09:52 AM »
Good luck.  In years I've never felt the urge to fish up there and don't chase FB reports soo you guys have at it!

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9280 on: Jan 31, 2019, 11:19 AM »
How the ice on the Noth end of the lake ?  I never tried that section,  I’d like to give it a shot next week. More stuff to get cool drone footage of other then endless ice lol

Offline Fishmarket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9281 on: Jan 31, 2019, 02:27 PM »
How the ice on the Noth end of the lake ?  I never tried that section,  I’d like to give it a shot next week. More stuff to get cool drone footage of other then endless ice lol

Bring your spud.  With this snow you can't see any trasition in ice and there are some.  Went from 5" to 2 1/2 today
AM

Offline countryrebel127

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9282 on: Jan 31, 2019, 02:35 PM »
how far out off vets do you have to go to get to 50 fow? what are you reffering to when you say over deep water? ive never fished it and am heading there soon just trying to get a little info before i go out...thanks in advance

Offline NewIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9283 on: Jan 31, 2019, 02:39 PM »
how far out off vets do you have to go to get to 50 fow? what are you reffering to when you say over deep water? ive never fished it and am heading there soon just trying to get a little info before i go out...thanks in advance

If you go to www.navionics.com and select the chart viewer you can see a detailed map of the lake complete with depths. It's a great tool for scouting new areas. They also sell a smartphone app "Navionics Boating" for 15.99 (per year) with maps.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9284 on: Jan 31, 2019, 07:06 PM »
Bring your spud.  With this snow you can't see any trasition in ice and there are some.  Went from 5" to 2 1/2 today

This.  If you go ripping around up there on your quad...well let me buy you life insurance first.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9285 on: Jan 31, 2019, 07:08 PM »
 Nothing like the feeling when you hop off your atv and drill  2 inches of ice lol

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9286 on: Jan 31, 2019, 07:32 PM »
Nothing like the feeling when you hop off your atv and drill  2 inches of ice lol

Ha you know it, as long as the kids are at home.  The beauty of LG is it's dangerous nature.

Offline Tstone23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9287 on: Jan 31, 2019, 07:43 PM »
Were can u acess huddle bay from?

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9288 on: Jan 31, 2019, 08:16 PM »
Were can u acess huddle bay from?

Huddle bay rd or bixby beach rd.

Offline bathgate69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9289 on: Jan 31, 2019, 08:43 PM »
Can someone stear me in the right direction? Looking to fish LG tomorrow. Was thinking off Roger's Rock. I'm not very familiar with the lake. I fish Schroon mostly. Any advice is appreciated. Ill be hoofing it also, no machine. Thanks guys!

Offline CMASSicefisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9290 on: Jan 31, 2019, 10:58 PM »
Anyone know how much ice off of diamond point

Offline captin bill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9291 on: Feb 01, 2019, 05:29 AM »
The thing with lg especially when locked end to end is the reoccurring pressure cracks which can pop in the blink of an eye leaving huge open water areas. Looking forward to hearing that pinging roaring down between the mountains. @)

Fishmon

« Reply #9292 on: Feb 01, 2019, 06:46 AM »
Fished in north basin yesterday.  Be very, very careful.  Ice varies from 5 inches near shore to 2 inches over deeper water.  Snow has drifted making it very hard to drag stuff through and difficult to see refrozen areas.  Pressure ridges were popping up spilling water under snow. Don't even think of taking a quad out unless you have a death wish.  Enough of the negative.  Fish were biting OK ;) ;), but I got out of there asap.

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #9293 on: Feb 01, 2019, 07:14 AM »
Heading up to the Pilot Knob area today for a few hours this afternoon, hoping to be able to find a parking spot and some hungry fish  :) Will have an update of conditions in that area later this evening

Offline Troutslayer311

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9294 on: Feb 01, 2019, 09:00 AM »
Interested in any info or tips for Pilots Knob ? Looking to head there on Sunday for first time.

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #9295 on: Feb 01, 2019, 09:25 AM »
Interested in any info or tips for Pilots Knob ? Looking to head there on Sunday for first time.

This is my first time going to that area so I’m scouting as well. I’ll PM you if I figure anything out tho

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9296 on: Feb 01, 2019, 09:32 AM »
This is my first time going to that area so I’m scouting as well. I’ll PM you if I figure anything out tho

Also interested Please! 😃
Thanks!

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9297 on: Feb 01, 2019, 09:56 AM »
Parking at Pilot Knob is going to be horrendous this weekend unless people are parking on the ice already.
Which I seriously doubt and certainly advise against.
Throw the carnival on top and displacing all of the guys that like accessing from MDB and Shephard's Park.
I'll be starting early at 1 of the larger alternate parking lots.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9298 on: Feb 01, 2019, 12:50 PM »
Anyone been out of hearthstone can you drive down the hill right now.

Offline Justinrc21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9299 on: Feb 01, 2019, 01:51 PM »
Bigfish I was there Monday and Tuesday and I had no issues. I kept it in 4 low and went no fast than 3mph on the way down and no issues on the way back up...
'For those who have defended it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know' ~Unknown~

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.