New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346714 times)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #9210 on: Jan 28, 2019, 05:57 PM »
So was my reply.  I think this is the same fish next to a shorter rod!  Catch em up!

Different rod, different rubber fish! 

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9211 on: Jan 28, 2019, 07:04 PM »
All about competition...larger perch are kept  (which are cannibalistic) by us, causing a change in food consumption and availability , causing an explosion of stunted dinks...there is no easy answer fishery science is complicated and dynamic...with often delayed results if any change in management does occur

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9212 on: Jan 28, 2019, 07:54 PM »
3 years ago I stumbled on a school of jumbos in huddle bay. It was a spot I found that is not on navionics, and I stumbled on it, simply by accident. I ended up getting a near limit of 10-14” perch. Jumbos for LG.... by far the best perch day I have ever had there. Even that spot has not produced the amount of jumbos again as that one day. I really think I got completely lucky.

I think those schools of jumbos are there. They are just much harder to find, and I think they avoid your perch areas that get beat up during the winter season.

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9213 on: Jan 28, 2019, 08:00 PM »
Was sarcasm.  Lucky ridges didnt eat my arse alive this weekend.

Another mystery fish...larger this time.  I cant keep these things off my jig. 

rare LG Walleye

Offline hairbone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9214 on: Jan 28, 2019, 09:29 PM »
I agree. 50 is too high for a daily limit. With limits that high I feel it makes it easier for people to over fish a resource. I bet there are even some guys that don't even end up fileting them all either. I know most guys do but I bet some don't. Pull limit to say caught limit and catch limit just because it's the limit. Also poachers pulling more. I know LG has good perch population but still think 50 is pretty high limit personally

This is an example of a liberal fisherman. 

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9215 on: Jan 29, 2019, 04:31 AM »

We don't like this non laker speak here.  Although his comment is rather snowflakey. I fish with a. Fish bio who tells me we couldn't over fish a 600 acre lake (and we hammer the perch relentlessly there) so I doubt LG would ever be over fished.

One thing I learned when I was a kid....some fishermen would always blame a fishery or lack of stocking/management first before knocking their own abilities to catch...seems to me that practice is still alive and well.

Hey Neil...that's one slimey walleye. 

Also I am surprisingly in agreement with SS.  We used to find those jumbos in the weirdest spots out there.  NOT where everyone seems to pack in week after week...

Offline gitthegaff

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Fish on"
« Reply #9216 on: Jan 29, 2019, 05:01 AM »
I wish them Mud Chickens tasted like Walleye !
Paul

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9217 on: Jan 29, 2019, 06:48 AM »

Also I am surprisingly in agreement with SS.  We used to find those jumbos in the weirdest spots out there.  NOT where everyone seems to pack in week after week...

wow. On our way to being thunder buddy's....ha

Fishmon

« Reply #9218 on: Jan 29, 2019, 07:07 AM »
There is a hugely under fished area in LG.  It starts at the narrows and goes for another 18 miles.  Somebody tell the perch that it safe to go up there to escape and grow into old age.  On the other hand, please don't tell them. ::)

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9219 on: Jan 29, 2019, 09:01 AM »
Not really. Just stating some facts from observations I have made over the years. A lot of times with limits of anything people take the limit simply because that's what the limit is. I'm sure If there were no limits on LG some guys would fill buckets and buckets of fish because they can, not because they need to. Same goes for the 50 limit. Some guys ice a limit because they can and not that need to. On 2 occasions I have had guys offer me some of their perch so they can keep catching and icing more.  Anyone has the right to keep 50 and I don't care but I know there are guys that when they get home a say dang I have to clean all these now..I will do it tomorrow...then tomorrow turns into next day. Then doesn't get done. It absolutely happens. I feel higher the limit, the more likely it is for a resource to get wasted. Sames for limits for waterfowl hunting. Guys fill limits just to say shot a limit.. Snow goose season in spring has no limits in some states so guys feel the need to fill pick up trucks full geese because they can. Not that they need to for food purposes. Snowsgeese are over populated also. The percentage of people that take daily limits constantly on lake George perch that actually rely on it to feed themselves and their family is a very low percentage. I'm not talking about eating fish frys with family and friends. Im not against 50 perch limit in lake George but I feel it's pretty high though. . I dont look down at most guys that take home limits either.  That being said I can think 50 fish limit is on the high side of limit without being called a "liberal fisherman". There are tons of guys that waste natural resources and i feel higher limits make it easier for it to be wasted. Just my .02

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9220 on: Jan 29, 2019, 09:22 AM »
I hear what your saying Steve. But it is not a "waste" when it is beneficial. It is science. They are overpopulated and stunted. Maybe you didn't fish Lake George back when there was no limit, but I did. The perch were much bigger.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9221 on: Jan 29, 2019, 09:33 AM »
Not really. Just stating some facts from observations I have made over the years. A lot of times with limits of anything people take the limit simply because that's what the limit is. I'm sure If there were no limits on LG some guys would fill buckets and buckets of fish because they can, not because they need to. Same goes for the 50 limit. Some guys ice a limit because they can and not that need to. On 2 occasions I have had guys offer me some of their perch so they can keep catching and icing more.  Anyone has the right to keep 50 and I don't care but I know there are guys that when they get home a say dang I have to clean all these now..I will do it tomorrow...then tomorrow turns into next day. Then doesn't get done. It absolutely happens. I feel higher the limit, the more likely it is for a resource to get wasted. Sames for limits for waterfowl hunting. Guys fill limits just to say shot a limit.. Snow goose season in spring has no limits in some states so guys feel the need to fill pick up trucks full geese because they can. Not that they need to for food purposes. Snowsgeese are over populated also. The percentage of people that take daily limits constantly on lake George perch that actually rely on it to feed themselves and their family is a very low percentage. I'm not talking about eating fish frys with family and friends. Im not against 50 perch limit in lake George but I feel it's pretty high though. . I dont look down at most guys that take home limits either.  That being said I can think 50 fish limit is on the high side of limit without being called a "liberal fisherman". There are tons of guys that waste natural resources and i feel higher limits make it easier for it to be wasted. Just my .02

I 100% agree with everything you said and have the same belief's.

Like over the weekend, we caught over 300 perch....I could have kept a limit within the first hour. Instead, I chose I wanted to spend the day fishing and made the minimum size for myself 9" to keep...I took home 40. It was also my first trip out for the season. I will take 1 more perch trip for the year, and then move onto bigger fish. Only me and my son eat fish in my family of 4. I dont need a freezer full to last me until next ice season.

That being said, I saw people keeping rat limits out there...most likely just because of what you said...because they can.

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9222 on: Jan 29, 2019, 09:46 AM »
A one size fits all approach (ie, state wide limits) rarely works as intended.  Putting a limit on perch specifically on Lake George is counter productive to the fishery.   It has nothing to do with political affiliation. If you cant fill a bucket with 8s and a few 9s in a few hours on LG youre not trying hard enough, theyre there for the taking  by the millions.  Same places, same stunted fish, every year. 
Friends don't let Friends use Tip-Ups

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9223 on: Jan 29, 2019, 10:03 AM »
Moderators, shouldn't this talk on LG Perch be moved to the Lake George Perching thread?

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9224 on: Jan 29, 2019, 10:03 AM »
A one size fits all approach (ie, state wide limits) rarely works as intended.  Putting a limit on perch specifically on Lake George is counter productive to the fishery.   It has nothing to do with political affiliation. If you cant fill a bucket with 8s and a few 9s in a few hours on LG youre not trying hard enough, theyre there for the taking  by the millions.  Same places, same stunted fish, every year.

Do all of us a favor please, stop making sense.

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9225 on: Jan 29, 2019, 10:08 AM »
I hear what your saying Steve. But it is not a "waste" when it is beneficial. It is science. They are overpopulated and stunted. Maybe you didn't fish Lake George back when there was no limit, but I did. The perch were much bigger.
Do you think if a slot size limit was put into place that would help any? Or is too out of control at this point? Does DEC think stunted fish are a problem or are they more worried about the fishery in general as in numbers and health? Curious. I know you know alot more about it than I do about the subject.

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9226 on: Jan 29, 2019, 10:14 AM »
I don't know that I know a lot more, but have spent a bit of time up there. I think they should just do away with the limit on Lake George all together, and promote people keeping smaller perch.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9227 on: Jan 29, 2019, 10:33 AM »
Moderators, shouldn't this talk on LG Perch be moved to the Lake George Perching thread?

Stop creating waves Bill...we are deliberating in here.   ;D

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9228 on: Jan 29, 2019, 10:34 AM »
wow. On our way to being thunder buddy's....ha

It's a slow progression.  We will get there.  Btw the pics with your son fishing...I can never hate that.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9229 on: Jan 29, 2019, 11:08 AM »
It's a slow progression.  We will get there.  Btw the pics with your son fishing...I can never hate that.

🤣🤣

Thanks. I got carried away with posting pics of my 2 boys but I didn’t post nearly as many as I have. Either both of them or one of them is on the boat with me at least 1-2 times a week. I’m gonna take them ice fishing in 2 weeks.

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9230 on: Jan 29, 2019, 11:22 AM »
I’m willing to bet the sole reason there’s a limit on lake george has nothing to do with the conditions of the fishery.
And that it has everything to do with the amount of market fisherman it would and used to bring.
If they did away with the limit I could bet that every shanty on southbay would be relocated to lake George.
After thinking about what the future would look like on lake George I guess the limit is a blessing in disguise.
I’m not against market fishing, and don’t believe the limit is needed to preserve the fishery,   But I am glad it keeps some folks away!

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9231 on: Jan 29, 2019, 12:20 PM »
If anyone knows perch it’s Fontana sAw him out a few times with all of his boys perching

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9232 on: Jan 29, 2019, 12:44 PM »
I’m willing to bet the sole reason there’s a limit on lake george has nothing to do with the conditions of the fishery.
And that it has everything to do with the amount of market fisherman it would and used to bring.
If they did away with the limit I could bet that every shanty on southbay would be relocated to lake George.
After thinking about what the future would look like on lake George I guess the limit is a blessing in disguise.
I’m not against market fishing, and don’t believe the limit is needed to preserve the fishery,   But I am glad it keeps some folks away!
This actually make's a TON of sense man.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9233 on: Jan 29, 2019, 12:46 PM »
I guess fishing dink’s is better then noting on a slow day. Maybe it has something to do with the lake structure,  I always fine jumbos in lakes with tons of weeds . Lg is deep and rocky with weeds only in the bays. The perch mill around a sick up little critters all day. I was also thinking it could have something to do with the water temps. Water temps In lg are always colder longer . Who knows hopefully me and Rowan will make a trip down soon. Waiting for a new tuned up customs noodle rod to come in the mail!

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9234 on: Jan 29, 2019, 12:57 PM »
LITTLE FISHYS TURN INTO BIGGER FISHYS
I live back in the woods you see

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9235 on: Jan 29, 2019, 01:10 PM »
If anyone knows perch it’s Fontana sAw him out a few times with all of his boys perching
Lakers too. Anytime I have fished with his group they out fished me 10 to 1. It was embarrassing actually. They know how to fish for sure. No doubt bout that.

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9236 on: Jan 29, 2019, 02:51 PM »

Agreed. Recreational fishing couldn't even make a dent in the LG perch population. The limit of 50 just keeps a handful of people from turning a sport into a business.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9237 on: Jan 29, 2019, 04:58 PM »
I'm in the category of only keeping a limit for my consumption based on a days worth I would consume.  If I catch a meals worth,  typically about 10 panfish,  I start releasing.
The next weekend,  if I catch 5 to 8 " panfish,  I release them. So I may have a cause and effect as not controlling the undersized issues of stunted fish.
It's kinda like just hunting bucks instead of does.
I truly believe that overpopulation causes stunted fish problems in many places .
In those cases,  limits are ridiculous.
If I'm not helping the control based on my fishing preference,  why impose a restriction on someone else ?
If there is a market for their sale , all the better. If there is a poaching problem,  address that , not restrict those that play fair

In respect,  there truly are places that I fish that do not have a stunting issue but a sustainability issue.  You can not just haul fish after fish and expect it to continue without regulation. 

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9238 on: Jan 29, 2019, 05:50 PM »
Lakers too. Anytime I have fished with his group they out fished me 10 to 1. It was embarrassing actually. They know how to fish for sure. No doubt bout that.

You are exaggerating. We had some cool adventures for sure.

Offline mdougla1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9239 on: Jan 29, 2019, 05:59 PM »
Every shanty on South bay would be on LG

Nah. 

While the big money fisherman and their cigarette butts can be found all over champlain (they do avoid LG because of the limit ) the South Bay shanty types aren't  one and the same

quote author=bird21s link=topic=230074.msg3943578#msg3943578 date=1548782529]
[/quote]
I'm not saying they're biting on Brant.  But they probably are

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.