New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346720 times)

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #9090 on: Jan 23, 2019, 05:11 PM »
I watched a truck crash last year.  Came in way too hot.  Paid the price.

Yeah I almost crashed. The Silverado couldn’t handle that hill with the trailer and ATVs on it. The next guy down the hill had to drop his plow to stop

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9091 on: Jan 23, 2019, 05:26 PM »
I watched a truck crash last year.  Came in way too hot.  Paid the price.

That just sounds like a greenhorn.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9092 on: Jan 23, 2019, 05:41 PM »
At least someone dropped some sand at some point.  If I could find a few bags I'd bring some with me and do it for the greater the good.  No one wants to start the day like that.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9093 on: Jan 23, 2019, 06:02 PM »
It’s always good to keep a few bags of salt in the truck. Even the salt can get you out of a pinch.

You can get 50lb sand bags at Lowe’s/ Home Depot right now In the hardscaping section.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9094 on: Jan 23, 2019, 07:17 PM »
Yeah I almost crashed. The Silverado couldn’t handle that hill with the trailer and ATVs on it. The next guy down the hill had to drop his plow to stop

I'm not a green horn by any means of that hill but had many white knuckles and anti lock brake situations.  Even last year when you had to take the left easier route.
Now if I bring a machine,  it's best to unload at the top and machine down.

We call it heart attack hill for many reasons

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9095 on: Jan 23, 2019, 08:06 PM »
Yeah I had never gone to that spot before. I didn’t even know it had a hill untill it was late lol

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9096 on: Jan 23, 2019, 08:25 PM »
I had to pull some guy truck up that hill last year. His tires were so bald he barely made it up half way then started to slide back and was blocking the rd. .It was either slide all the way down or get pulled up. I pulled him up. Then I drove by the next day and he was parked up top. Lol.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9097 on: Jan 23, 2019, 10:58 PM »
Mealworm did a few truck pulls last year too!

Offline LAKEGEORGEJEFF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9098 on: Jan 24, 2019, 11:02 AM »
Is this a repeat of last year ?
Whole lake froze . Then the rain wiped out the deep water ice . Never froze again . I hate rain !!!!!!!!!!!

CALLING ALL FISH!!!!!!!!!

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9099 on: Jan 24, 2019, 11:57 AM »
Is this a repeat of last year ?
Whole lake froze . Then the rain wiped out the deep water ice . Never froze again . I hate rain !!!!!!!!!!!
I think she'll barely hold on man.
It will be below freezing tonight by 8pm and continue for the foreseeable future. I really think we'll narrowly avoid it opening back up by mere hours. And continue to build at a serious rate next week. Here's to hoping anyway!
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9100 on: Jan 24, 2019, 12:40 PM »
I think she'll barely hold on man.
It will be below freezing tonight by 8pm and continue for the foreseeable future. I really think we'll narrowly avoid it opening back up by mere hours. And continue to build at a serious rate next week. Here's to hoping anyway!

I like the way you think 😎
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9101 on: Jan 24, 2019, 01:23 PM »
I like the way you think 😎
This rain with 2 warm days will end up a god send man. I didn't want to walk in that crap anyway!
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9102 on: Jan 24, 2019, 01:28 PM »
I'm not a green horn by any means of that hill but had many white knuckles and anti lock brake situations.  Even last year when you had to take the left easier route.
Now if I bring a machine,  it's best to unload at the top and machine down.
I took the fuse out for the winter don't like those anti lock brakes
We call it heart attack hill for many reasons
I live back in the woods you see

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9103 on: Jan 24, 2019, 02:27 PM »
This rain with 2 warm days will end up a god send man. I didn't want to walk in that crap anyway!

I can't blame you - I had Martin Luther King day off for the first time ever and I stayed home because of the snow.

I have to go out of town this weekend. I told my wife in November when we booked it that the good waters of lake George would freeze this week - go figure. I'm not sure I would want venture out on any of them after this weather.

May need to schedule some work up north one day next week  ;D
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline 15 inches of Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9104 on: Jan 24, 2019, 03:11 PM »
warm weather over tonight and one more day next tuesday, but in between lows between 0 and 20 and then sub zero weather jan. 31-feb. 3

try https://climatereanalyzer.org/wx/fcst/#gfs.na-lc.t2 and change the settings to GFS Global 10 Day and North America

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9105 on: Jan 24, 2019, 03:38 PM »

Slop is gone already.  Yes the deep water opened up but some guys absolutely slayed last year regardless.  I wouldn't mind a repeat not many people were going to the "edge" last year and I didn't mind it one bit. 

Offline sameoljets

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9106 on: Jan 24, 2019, 07:03 PM »
Rain please stop, and may cold weather please freeze over this slop....down with the pats... up with the beers ... lets all have a nice winter...Cheers!

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #9107 on: Jan 24, 2019, 10:54 PM »
Rain please stop, and may cold weather please freeze over this slop....down with the pats... up with the beers ... lets all have a nice winter...Cheers!

ill second this! ;D

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9108 on: Jan 25, 2019, 08:50 AM »
Anyone have any updated reports today after yesterday's rain?  How'd she hold up?
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline fishmonger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9109 on: Jan 25, 2019, 11:12 AM »
I was on Dunhams Bay all day yesterday. It was all slop, but we still had over six inches of black ice. The parking situation was more sketchy than the ice-truck got stuck in the snow and needed a tow
Meat is murder....tasty, tasty murder

Offline thekayakerman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9110 on: Jan 25, 2019, 11:26 AM »
Do you know if the safe ice kept going out of Dunham’s into the middle of the lake? Thanks

Offline fishmonger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9111 on: Jan 25, 2019, 11:38 AM »
We didn't venture out even as far as the mouth of the bay. Didn't see anyone coming or going from the main part of the lake
Meat is murder....tasty, tasty murder

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9112 on: Jan 25, 2019, 11:49 AM »
I was on Dunhams Bay all day yesterday. It was all slop, but we still had over six inches of black ice. The parking situation was more sketchy than the ice-truck got stuck in the snow and needed a tow
That sucks fishmonger.  Hope it was another fisherman who helped you out and not the $$ expensive tow?  ....and thanks for the report!
Anyone know how Harris is?
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline Swinginhammers_and_fishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9113 on: Jan 25, 2019, 02:02 PM »
Questions about access...

Is there a way to access at Dunham’s bay?  I see they have a lot where the docks are up the creek but it’s not plowed.  I also saw people parked on 9L in the next bay up.  Is this the only way to access around the Dunham’s area?

Is ‘Rogers Memorial Park’ in Bolton Landing a good place to access the lake?

It’s hard to find a lot of info on how to get on lake George

Thank you

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #9114 on: Jan 25, 2019, 02:22 PM »
Questions about access...

Is there a way to access at Dunham’s bay?  I see they have a lot where the docks are up the creek but it’s not plowed.  I also saw people parked on 9L in the next bay up.  Is this the only way to access around the Dunham’s area?

Is ‘Rogers Memorial Park’ in Bolton Landing a good place to access the lake?

It’s hard to find a lot of info on how to get on lake George

Thank you

The parking for Dunhams is the lot on the other side of 9L that's owned by the marina.  They never seem to mind if you park there but they also don't plow it so parking can be tough if there's a big snow.  That's the only access I have ever known of for that bay.  The next bay up on 9L is Harris and that's another place to park and get on.  Both Dunham's and Harris are pretty long walks to decent fishing but good for perch and lakers once you get out there a ways.  Rogers park is Bolton is another spot you can get on.  I haven't parked there in years but it was always available and you could walk out to the right and fish Bolton Bay by the Sagamore from there if the other spots were full.  The biggest challenge with Lake George is the access is limited and finding enough parking especially after a big snow when things aren't plowed out or the snow banks take up a lot of it. 

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #9115 on: Jan 25, 2019, 02:59 PM »
If you do use that dunhams lot, be very wary of that bridge.   Sometimes its solid underneath and the ice can handle machines and sometimes it can't.  I've used with that access with slipbob in the past, but after the rain, i wouldn't trust it.   People have drown there.

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #9116 on: Jan 25, 2019, 03:04 PM »
If you do use that dunhams lot, be very wary of that bridge.   Sometimes its solid underneath and the ice can handle machines,  I've used with slipbob in the past.   but after the rain, i wouldn't trust it.   People have drown there.

Good point.   The togue train powered by the King quad has crossed under the bridge a time or two :tipup:   

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #9117 on: Jan 25, 2019, 03:09 PM »
Good point.   The togue train powered by the King quad has crossed under the bridge a time or two :tipup:

yes it did.   Speaking of which just had the side x side serviced.   No busted belts in the middle of lake george this year!   May the togue train live forever!

Offline Lundpredator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9118 on: Jan 25, 2019, 03:17 PM »
Anybody know what the ice is like by Roger's rock?

JJ

« Reply #9119 on: Jan 25, 2019, 03:39 PM »

A guy killed himself going under that bridge many years ago on an ATV... going too fast with no helmet.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.