New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346808 times)

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #8190 on: Jan 30, 2018, 04:08 PM »
It was my first time on the lake, I’ll do better next time. I use a graph sonar and I had a huge ball of bait swim in.  It was pretty cool. I’ve never seen that before in a lake.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8191 on: Jan 30, 2018, 04:14 PM »
Some days are like that on the King.  Great when you can get them to 10 feet and watch the smash.  This year I have lost a pile of them deadsticking the jig and not being quick enough to pickup the rod and make them chase.

Dude that's probably the issue graphs and latency can really screw you with chasing lakers!

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8192 on: Jan 30, 2018, 04:25 PM »
I’m not sure what it was. My friend was 30 feet away with a vex and he was having the same issue all day .  It’s a good unit . It doesn’t lag at all. I can switch it to a flasher mode but the graph makes it easy to see what’s going on

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8193 on: Jan 30, 2018, 04:30 PM »
Hearthstone is sanded as of yesterday. Should be goid to access now. About 11inches of ice.
If it was you way to be 👌🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻 Thank you from everyone

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8194 on: Jan 30, 2018, 05:39 PM »
I honestly don't know what the size is but I think 1/8 oz forage fry tipped with 2 grubs. Took forever to get that jig down but once I switched I caught almost every fish I marked. Have to work tmrw will be back out rest of the week.
I've said for years that lakers love those little tungsten jigs. Not all but almost every one that shows up will take those little jigs. I suppose someday I'll have to get a little bigger rod and reel and try for them in deeper water. I didn't see this one show up on the flasher last week but the perch that were stacked 6 or 8' off bottom as the jig was getting to them raced back to the bottom. Knew there had to be a laker close. I lowered the jig to just off bottom and he jumped off bottom and crushed it. 40 minutes later after almost being spooled I had him.

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8195 on: Jan 30, 2018, 05:58 PM »
That happened to me today.  They scattered and the blob showed up seconds later and swatted at my jig, missing it.  :-\

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8196 on: Jan 30, 2018, 06:12 PM »
They definitely do love those tungstens I can usually get most of them to hit when I mark one jigging perch. If I am actually targeting lakers though plastic are the way to go in my opinion that is all I ever use anymore.

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8197 on: Jan 30, 2018, 06:30 PM »
Hearthstone is sanded as of yesterday. Should be goid to access now. About 11inches of ice.

That is great!  Thank you!!!

Offline TJM781

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8198 on: Jan 30, 2018, 06:52 PM »
It was my first time on the lake, I’ll do better next time. I use a graph sonar and I had a huge ball of bait swim in.  It was pretty cool. I’ve never seen that before in a lake.

I saw that last week. Gave me the idea of leaving an umbrella rig on bottom in a hole 2 ft away and after dropping the pimple to bottom full speed grab the umbrella rigged rod and crank it in. Going to try it this week.

Offline Hardwaterlipn147

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8199 on: Jan 30, 2018, 06:54 PM »
So is there any open water on the main part of the lake anymore ? Or locked up?
weekend hooker!

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8200 on: Jan 30, 2018, 07:02 PM »
There is a lot of open water on the main Lake still.

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8201 on: Jan 30, 2018, 07:58 PM »
finally have a few hours to.sneak out tomorrow. c ant get on the ice until 10 and off by 3 but better then nothing.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8202 on: Jan 30, 2018, 08:26 PM »
Those lakers love those perch tungstens for sure. Every time I have been pearching and one showed up on the sonar, they have slammed it.

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8203 on: Jan 31, 2018, 04:50 AM »
I've said for years that lakers love those little tungsten jigs. Not all but almost every one that shows up will take those little jigs. I suppose someday I'll have to get a little bigger rod and reel and try for them in deeper water. I didn't see this one show up on the flasher last week but the perch that were stacked 6 or 8' off bottom as the jig was getting to them raced back to the bottom. Knew there had to be a laker close. I lowered the jig to just off bottom and he jumped off bottom and crushed it. 40 minutes later after almost being spooled I had him.

Now that sounds like fun! Great job!
Jig em up!

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8204 on: Jan 31, 2018, 05:01 AM »

Nice laker...What'd that go? 13-14lbs?
Sometimes ya gotta push the sheep through the fence

Fishmon

« Reply #8205 on: Jan 31, 2018, 06:49 AM »
They definitely do love those tungstens I can usually get most of them to hit when I mark one jigging perch. If I am actually targeting lakers though plastic are the way to go in my opinion that is all I ever use anymore.

LOL.  I hate to admit it, but I got my biggest laker this year on a little tungsten jig while fishing for perch.  Spent most of day chasing lakers with plastics and landed/released the usual suspects which is a lot of fun, but got a big surprise when I switched over to perch fishing.  Downside was that it took forever to get him in with 3# test on my little fairy wand.  Not quite as big as the earlier post, but in 30 inch range. ;D

Offline fishboy899

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8206 on: Jan 31, 2018, 07:52 AM »
Anyone interested in meeting up and laker fishing out of MDB on Friday morning. Have the quad to get out to deeper water. Marked a bunch of fish last weekend just would commit to the baits.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8207 on: Jan 31, 2018, 08:41 AM »

Lol if it did it would need to be 30" around.  30"ers are usually around 9lbs.  I landed a 14lber it was a notch over 36"

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8208 on: Jan 31, 2018, 09:42 AM »
^^^ I was thinking the same thing but didn’t want to say anything, didn’t wanna get swatted with a gaff lol

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8209 on: Jan 31, 2018, 11:04 AM »
Thanks...it was just shy of 11lbs.

9lbs...lol ;D

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #8210 on: Jan 31, 2018, 11:09 AM »
Lol if it did it would need to be 30" around.  30"ers are usually around 9lbs.  I landed a 14lber it was a notch over 36"

still shocking all those fish we weighed, and all those 30" fish, none hit 10lbs...even a couple 31" fish were barely over 10.

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8211 on: Jan 31, 2018, 11:19 AM »

You guys need a scale like mine... It starts at 10lbs. Every Laker I ever weighed was at least 10lbs. Even a 18"er goes 10!   ;D
Jig em up!

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #8212 on: Jan 31, 2018, 11:23 AM »
Had something really cool happen on Sunday.   Reeled up my jig to switch holes, and notice that my transducer got jostled as i pulled my jig out.   I look down and see the red and white fins of a real nice lake trout.   Drop my jig back down and he swings and misses.   Ended up watching and playing with this fish for about 2 minutes, watching him swim back and forth whacking my jig with his body and tail.   Finally, he came by and ate the thing, and I got 'em topside.   Super cool. 

also we got this tanker the other day

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8213 on: Jan 31, 2018, 11:26 AM »
We were out fishing perch this morning and only saw one laker on the screen. It was a 28" and weighed just over 6lbs. But it was skinnier than the one in the picture. The one in the picture was just over 32"

Offline delay18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8214 on: Jan 31, 2018, 11:28 AM »
Had something really cool happen on Sunday.   Reeled up my jig to switch holes, and notice that my transducer got jostled as i pulled my jig out.   I look down and see the red and white fins of a real nice lake trout.   Drop my jig back down and he swings and misses.   Ended up watching and playing with this fish for about 2 minutes, watching him swim back and forth whacking my jig with his body and tail.   Finally, he came by and ate the thing, and I got 'em topside.   Super cool. 

(Image removed from quote.)

also we got this tanker the other day

That's really cool! I did that with a donkey of a perch last year and that was thrilling. Can't imagine seeing a big laker swimming by the hole and playing with the jig.
Rob

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8215 on: Jan 31, 2018, 11:30 AM »

also we got this tanker the other dayHow big is the one in the last picture Lance? It does look like a tank ;D

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8216 on: Jan 31, 2018, 11:37 AM »
Jakes fish at 31" was put on a certified scale when I dropped it at Brainards. 9lbs 6oz.

I've gotten on all 4's to stare at smelt down the hole. Never a lake trout. That's gotta be pretty flipping wild!
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8217 on: Jan 31, 2018, 11:45 AM »

The reel seat on that rod is as pretty as the fish!
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8218 on: Jan 31, 2018, 12:12 PM »
My scale isn't certified but I've got a 500 gm stamped weight and it seems to be right on the money.

Great little scales if anyone needs one.
https://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-AMW-SR-5-Digital-HanGinG/dp/B003SWZWNC

Offline TJM781

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8219 on: Jan 31, 2018, 12:58 PM »
This guy was 33" and only 9.48 lbs.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.