New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346751 times)

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #7350 on: Feb 24, 2017, 11:08 AM »
Whitetail...this is simple...you shouldn't have an opinion on what someone else keeps for the table.  Period.  You can do what you like with your fish and that's cool.  Champlain hasn't had a limit in years and supports a good amount of commercial fishing.  Your fears are unfounded.

I don't have an opinion on what someone keeps for the table...Period.  My gist of my opinion was the fact of not having limits.  I simply thought 50 was plenty...but have read other posts and certainly understand why guys like to do what they do with a great fish supply.
I apologized for my first comment..indicating the word "ridiculous" was unfair.  Champlain and George are two different bodies of water and my fears...were simply examples.
Trapper....I couldn't agree with you more my friend....I've stated for many years that this state should go to a 1 buck limit.  Preaching to the choir on that one.....but again...that's just my "OPINION". 
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7351 on: Feb 24, 2017, 11:32 AM »
Would you agree that the limit directly relates to what someone can put on their table? 

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7352 on: Feb 24, 2017, 11:34 AM »
Whitetail...this is simple...you shouldn't have an opinion on what someone else keeps for the table.  Period.  You can do what you like with your fish and that's cool.  Champlain hasn't had a limit in years and supports a good amount of commercial fishing.  Your fears are unfounded.

How can somebody not have an opinion?   "I don't care." Is still an opinion.

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7353 on: Feb 24, 2017, 12:22 PM »
Would you agree that the limit directly relates to what someone can put on their table?

I'm sure that it does and it seems to be what you think I'm driving at....but I thought I explained that the reason was to prevent an overharvest due to having simply "no limit" and way too many fish being taken.  That's it.  I've already said I understood the reasons why people like to take fish..so your taking for the table comment is not what I was driving at.
.....Ok...next subject.
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7354 on: Feb 24, 2017, 12:34 PM »

It would be interesting to see if there's a noticable difference in perch size vs age in lg and how well they grew each year. Found this video interesting.

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7355 on: Feb 24, 2017, 01:36 PM »
That is neat I'll try that if I make it out again.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7356 on: Feb 24, 2017, 01:38 PM »
I'm sure that it does and it seems to be what you think I'm driving at....but I thought I explained that the reason was to prevent an overharvest due to having simply "no limit" and way too many fish being taken.  That's it.  I've already said I understood the reasons why people like to take fish..so your taking for the table comment is not what I was driving at.
.....Ok...next subject.

They'll be in the canal soon we can continue the discussion there.... ;D

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7357 on: Feb 24, 2017, 02:23 PM »
They'll be in the canal soon we can continue the discussion there.... ;D

Now your talkin' my friend!  Interesting discussion.  Love seeing everyone's opinions!

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7358 on: Feb 24, 2017, 04:00 PM »

It would be interesting to see if there's a noticable difference in perch size vs age in lg and how well they grew each year. Found this video interesting.

Great video! Thanks for sharing

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7359 on: Feb 24, 2017, 04:06 PM »

Great video! Thanks for sharing

Your welcome!! Pretty cool for sure, I may try and age some perch later this evening. I'll try to see how easy it is to read. Looks simple enough.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7360 on: Feb 24, 2017, 04:11 PM »
I dont ever hear of you fishing for smallies there in summer, I know you love champ. Im assuming its because of the bs to get on and off lake george? I love fishing lake george for bass but the politics of the lake keep me away. But i love pulling deeeeeep water smallies.

I keep on driving right past lake George in open water season. Too much BS for me to go out there for a day...I don't want to deal with it...and it's costly.... and I even have permission to launch out of a good friends marina in Bolton landing, and I still don't do it. Forget that. I only care about that lake during hard water.

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7361 on: Feb 24, 2017, 04:51 PM »
Saturday/Sundays in high season are definitely bad on LG...lots of drunks and NYC/foreign tourists who have no clue how to operate a boat. but weekdays are usually awesome any time of year. And any day in April, May or October is generally great as well. Nightfishing can also be good in the summer. I say don't drive past.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7362 on: Feb 24, 2017, 04:55 PM »
That's my other issue. I don't want to be looking over my shoulder worrying about someone hitting me with their rental boat, or dealing with dodging people cutting across the lake while trying to get where I want to go. Lake George during open water is just way too stressful all around for me to want to put up with, when there are many prime waters within another 45 minutes or driving....

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7363 on: Feb 24, 2017, 09:38 PM »
Your welcome!! Pretty cool for sure, I may try and age some perch later this evening. I'll try to see how easy it is to read. Looks simple enough.

Absolutely!  Post pictures if you decide to do it.  It is amazing we haven't crossed paths this season. Hopefully LG locks up good next year, then we will put the hurtin on some grease hens.

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7364 on: Feb 24, 2017, 09:55 PM »
Haha the one place we would have absolutely crossed paths I stopped going to out of pure disgust. had a good week or two until the place was peppered with morons... but that's a different topic.
I did cut two of them bones out tonight on 12 incher and a 9. Waiting for them to dry, so far it's looking cool, I'm not sure if it's completely proven to be true but it was on the internet so it must be..

Offline njg0621

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7365 on: Feb 25, 2017, 06:29 AM »
I usually put away at least 800-1000 perch a lot more some years, and never sold one.

You might want to have your mercury levels checked  :)

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7366 on: Feb 25, 2017, 08:44 AM »
You might want to have your mercury levels checked  :)

Nahhhh... remember "biomagnification." Perch eat mostly shrimp and other bottom-of-the-foodchain invertebrates. They contain some of the lowest mercury levels of any freshwater game species.

Offline fowlhookedny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7367 on: Feb 25, 2017, 09:46 AM »
Nahhhh... remember "biomagnification." Perch eat mostly shrimp and other bottom-of-the-foodchain invertebrates. They contain some of the lowest mercury levels of any freshwater game species.

Little excerpt from the DEC site:
To reduce exposures to mercury, avoid or eat less largemouth and smallmouth bass, northern pike, pickerel, walleye and larger yellow perch (for example, longer than 10 inches) because these fish tend to have higher mercury levels, particularly in the Adirondack and Catskill regions.

I did a study a number of years ago as an internship which was looking for mercury in perch because they are a good indicator of the mercury levels for the rest of the game fish.  Perch tend to be much more carnivorous as they grow, eating more small fish.  The larger perch, which is what most anglers target, tend to be high in mercury.  Several lakes in the Adirondack region have yellow perch advisory's.

Offline gitthegaff

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Fish on"
« Reply #7368 on: Feb 25, 2017, 12:05 PM »
Is there any launch area available without ice at this point?
Paul

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7369 on: Feb 25, 2017, 03:54 PM »
Annnnnnd she's open

Harris Bay launch is still iced over though.

Offline outdoors4good

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7370 on: Feb 25, 2017, 07:58 PM »
Thanks for the pic and the update.  I never made it out on LG this year.  Too sketchy and far to quick a "season".

Offline outdoors4good

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7371 on: Feb 25, 2017, 07:59 PM »
Might have to take the kayak out to get the perch I didn't get to go after through the ice!

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7372 on: Feb 26, 2017, 06:07 AM »
I dont ever hear of you fishing for smallies there in summer, I know you love champ. Im assuming its because of the bs to get on and off lake george? I love fishing lake george for bass but the politics of the lake keep me away. But i love pulling deeeeeep water smallies.
Other than having to buy a Park Commission sticker, I think a lot of you guys are making a lot bigger issue out of accessing Lake George than it really is. I fished Lake George at least 15 times last year with a buddy who has a bass boat that he takes all over. I don't ever remember it taking more than 5 minutes total(In and Out) for the boat inspection. You make it sound like the Spanish Inquisition. Unless you show up with a boat that looks like you just trolled through the Everglades its pretty quick.
I'm not saying I like it, but its really not that big a deal.  Just Sayin...............
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7373 on: Feb 26, 2017, 06:26 AM »
Other than having to buy a Park Commission sticker, I think a lot of you guys are making a lot bigger issue out of accessing Lake George than it really is. I fished Lake George at least 15 times last year with a buddy who has a bass boat that he takes all over. I don't ever remember it taking more than 5 minutes total(In and Out) for the boat inspection. You make it sound like the Spanish Inquisition. Unless you show up with a boat that looks like you just trolled through the Everglades its pretty quick.
I'm not saying I like it, but its really not that big a deal.  Just Sayin...............
Especially if it's the last lake you fished. All it is, is a tag number.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7374 on: Feb 26, 2017, 07:10 AM »

its more then just getting on/ off the lake.

Its the people on the lake that are a issue as well....and when I have a opportunity to go fishing, I am on my clock. No one else's. Im usually the first one out on the water wherever I go....meaning I'm not going to sit around and wait for a boat inspector to show up just so I can launch. atleast on champlain you can launch at whatever time you want whether the inspector is there or not....and the fish are bigger.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7375 on: Feb 26, 2017, 07:25 AM »
its more then just getting on/ off the lake.

Its the people on the lake that are a issue as well....and when I have a opportunity to go fishing, I am on my clock. No one else's. Im usually the first one out on the water wherever I go....meaning I'm not going to sit around and wait for a boat inspector to show up just so I can launch. atleast on champlain you can launch at whatever time you want whether the inspector is there or not....and the fish are bigger.

If George was the last place you fished you don't need to wait for an inspection and can launch anytime. My inspection took less than 30 seconds ;D
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7376 on: Feb 26, 2017, 07:42 AM »
If George was the last place you fished you don't need to wait for an inspection and can launch anytime. My inspection took less than 30 seconds ;D

thats just not possible for me.

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7377 on: Feb 26, 2017, 02:38 PM »
I guess I used bad wording. It's not just the inspections though thatshe a problem for me as it is for others. I fish different lakes weekly sometimes Dailey. And I like being the first boat out there. Something about being our in the dark I like. I do think want to wait. I won't wait for my best friends in the morning I'm sure not waiting for someone to inspect my boat. All of that said, I was just sitting here talking with a friend about vertices jigging Lakers out of the boat and we're gonna give it a shot here soon. Need a wind free day.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7378 on: Feb 26, 2017, 07:26 PM »
I guess I used bad wording. It's not just the inspections though thatshe a problem for me as it is for others. I fish different lakes weekly sometimes Dailey. And I like being the first boat out there. Something about being our in the dark I like. I do think want to wait. I won't wait for my best friends in the morning I'm sure not waiting for someone to inspect my boat. All of that said, I was just sitting here talking with a friend about vertices jigging Lakers out of the boat and we're gonna give it a shot here soon. Need a wind free day.

we have the same mind set then...hate waiting for others.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #7379 on: Feb 27, 2017, 09:35 AM »
all the times I have open water jigged the lake (usually december and march months) there was never anyone to do inspections, and we didn't have to worry about a lake tag.   I won't even bother with the lake any of the warm months.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.