New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346667 times)

Offline sameoljets

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #6810 on: Jan 16, 2017, 07:04 PM »
Its sad but true.    U would figure with the number of people who fish there they would encourage the bussiness

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6811 on: Jan 16, 2017, 07:56 PM »
Y is thete even a dock at huddle bay beach unless I'm missing something it's not a boat launch I highly doubt boaters would dock there to walk into bolton seems like a useless dock to me

I was told that that was a cartop launch, but don't know for sure.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6812 on: Jan 16, 2017, 08:33 PM »
Its sad but true.    U would figure with the number of people who fish there they would encourage the bussiness

I'm sure they would if everyone picked up their garbage and was respectful of land owners property.

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6813 on: Jan 16, 2017, 08:52 PM »
I was told that that was a cartop launch, but don't know for sure.
That is a car top launch but Only good in the morning once it warms up. I had my radisson out there this year was fine for a few hours in the morning then the tubers and skiers woke up and I got back to shore as quick as I could.
I'm sure they would if everyone picked up their garbage and was respectful of land owners property.
Trash can be a problem anywhere everyone just needs to try and do their part. But as far as land owners property these spots are public, the problem with vets is there are people on that lake that hate the fact that they have to share it.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6814 on: Jan 17, 2017, 05:04 AM »
Just like the guy who lives on the North edge of the Vet's access who's always trying to wipe out the ice with his ice eater.

That guys sucks....him and his stupid helmet....

Offline gitthegaff

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Fish on"
« Reply #6815 on: Jan 17, 2017, 05:18 AM »
I still don't understand , How and Why are these Bubblers / Ice eaters Legal? The lake doesn't belong to the people that are putting these infront of their camps or access spots. It doesn't make any sense to me, why arn't these people given Tickets? Someone please explain this to me!
Paul

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6816 on: Jan 17, 2017, 06:09 AM »
I still don't understand , How and Why are these Bubblers / Ice eaters Legal? The lake doesn't belong to the people that are putting these infront of their camps or access spots. It doesn't make any sense to me, why arn't these people given Tickets? Someone please explain this to me!

because thats how lake george functions. Home owners can do whatever they want, because THEY are the money supply. There for, my guess is, the lake george association doesn't give 2 craps about outsiders and lets the home owners get away with such things like this.

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6817 on: Jan 17, 2017, 06:32 AM »
Town of Bolton is very anti ice fisherman
I wouldn't lump the Town of Bolton in with some local landowners who appear to be anti Ice fishing.  If the Town was anti ice fishing they would just shut down the Vets Park access completely, or at the very least make it difficult.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6818 on: Jan 17, 2017, 06:46 AM »
It doesn't make any sense to me, why arn't these people given Tickets? Someone please explain this to me!
Because, as of right now, they aren't doing anything illegal. What would you suggest they be ticketed for? Believe me, if I could make a list of things I would like to see people ticketed for, using ice eaters is about #23 on that list!!!
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!

Offline Lunker Luke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6819 on: Jan 17, 2017, 07:56 PM »
not saying i agree with the use of bubblers / ice eater... trust me i hate them but looking at it from the owner of the docks prospective would you rather pay for a bubbler or chance paying thousand for a new dock when the ice destroys it

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6820 on: Jan 17, 2017, 09:03 PM »
not saying i agree with the use of bubblers / ice eater... trust me i hate them but looking at it from the owner of the docks prospective would you rather pay for a bubbler or chance paying thousand for a new dock when the ice destroys it
Fair enough but you should at least have a dock if you are running an ice eater.

Offline Ima Fishin addict

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishin the American dream
« Reply #6821 on: Jan 17, 2017, 09:49 PM »
They Probably have a dock underwater  ::)

Fishmon

« Reply #6822 on: Jan 18, 2017, 06:13 AM »
Running an ice eater without a dock can only be for two reasons that I can think of. (1) Protect an expensive seawall which I can understand, or (2) to keep ice fishermen away from their property.  Number 2 gets to be a problem when it expands way beyond their property frontage and it creates a danger for public access.  I am amazed that someone has not drown by going through thin ice caused by an ice eater.  A light coating of snow can disguise these spots.  The only time I went through the ice was near a dock where an ice eater shut off, open water refroze, it snowed a couple of inches, and I stepped off 18 inches of ice on to less than an inch of ice.  Went in over my head,  Not fun.  I got out fast, but that is way too cold!

The best way to deal with these issues is to get organized and work with the various towns around the lake to get better relationships to keep the access that exists today.  Ice fishermen bring a lot to the local economy. It only takes one bad apple to mess things up for everyone.  People who leave trash all  over the place, F-bomb everyone within earshot at 5 am while unloading their stuff, urinate in parking lots, etc.  will guarantee that access will dry up.  Use of ice eaters is just one of many issues facing ice fishermen and public access.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6823 on: Jan 18, 2017, 06:40 AM »
Running an ice eater without a dock can only be for two reasons that I can think of. (1) Protect an expensive seawall which I can understand, or (2) to keep ice fishermen away from their property.  Number 2 gets to be a problem when it expands way beyond their property frontage and it creates a danger for public access.  I am amazed that someone has not drown by going through thin ice caused by an ice eater.  A light coating of snow can disguise these spots.  The only time I went through the ice was near a dock where an ice eater shut off, open water refroze, it snowed a couple of inches, and I stepped off 18 inches of ice on to less than an inch of ice.  Went in over my head,  Not fun.  I got out fast, but that is way too cold!

The best way to deal with these issues is to get organized and work with the various towns around the lake to get better relationships to keep the access that exists today.  Ice fishermen bring a lot to the local economy. It only takes one bad apple to mess things up for everyone.  People who leave trash all  over the place, F-bomb everyone within earshot at 5 am while unloading their stuff, urinate in parking lots, etc.  will guarantee that access will dry up.  Use of ice eaters is just one of many issues facing ice fishermen and public access.

good post.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #6824 on: Jan 18, 2017, 08:45 AM »
I'm a little worried now.   We've got our big NAO drop, but no cold air looks to have spilled in from the arctic.   Hopefully the big cold shot we always get in February will button the King up quick.   I'm staying cautiously optimistic.    Luckily the warm spell moderated significantly from what was first forecasted, and there's enough ice for great fishing to be had elsewhere right now.

Offline Berkley4life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6825 on: Jan 18, 2017, 10:45 AM »
Next week isnt going to be any better.  40s all week and rain a couple of those days.  The smaller waters are gonna take a beating again this year.

Offline Frank V

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6826 on: Jan 18, 2017, 11:01 AM »
How's the ice

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6827 on: Jan 18, 2017, 11:29 AM »
As someone already pointed out, last two weeks and this week are average coldest of the year, so not ideal when they are this warm.  i agree that the smaller waters are going to be over pressured this year, great time to practice catch and release if you can.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6828 on: Jan 18, 2017, 01:01 PM »
Suggesting small water would be over pressured and over fished is the mother of all assumptions...that statement suggests an overt knowledge of all local ponds and their traffic and also suggests that people are constantly killing fish in these smaller water bodies...Sorry Spoondangler I agree with a majority of your posts but have never been a fan of baseless speculation.

Offline jon ny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6829 on: Jan 18, 2017, 01:24 PM »
No baseless speculation here.  The smaller waters are in fact getting hammered due to many factors.  One for certain is lack of ice on George.  You can count on hundreds of guys spread through George each day during the week.  Thousands on weekends.  When George isn't froze, all those people are fishing other bodies of water.  They're not all on one body.  But when you put 5 on this pond, 10 on that, 20 on this every day through ice season, it adds up.  I'll be relieved in many ways once George freezes up.  When you fish these bodies of water on a weekly basis, it becomes quite clear.  Before George freezes, there's guys everywhere.  Go to these places when George is froze, you'll see them relatively quiet minus the local old timers.
I love clipboard man

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6830 on: Jan 18, 2017, 01:28 PM »
No baseless speculation here.  The smaller waters are in fact getting hammered.  I'll be relieved in many ways once George freezes up.

Ok I can take your word for it.  I know you get out there.  To be clear are you saying the hammering is based on seeing everyone crushing limits or purely based off of increased traffic? 

Offline jon ny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6831 on: Jan 18, 2017, 01:46 PM »
Ok I can take your word for it.  I know you get out there.  To be clear are you saying the hammering is based on seeing everyone crushing limits or purely based off of increased traffic?

Increased traffic mostly, but both.  You know as well as anyone, it takes more than just dropping a line to catch- unless someone gives you the gps 40" hole.  ;)   ;D  But thanks to social media, cell phones, navionics, etc.  it's a lot easier to be able to just drop a line and start catching.  Getting off topic and rambling a bit, there's a huge problem going on locally with poaching and selling to the bait shop in Whitehall from these small bodies. DEC is aware, but hard to catch them with limited resources.  I won't get into it too much because this is the best thread in the NY forum, but it's an ongoing thing. 
I love clipboard man

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6832 on: Jan 18, 2017, 01:49 PM »
Without a doubt there is more pressure on the smaller lakes/ponds. I am one of those guys once LG frezes I rarely if ever fish anywhere else. I have been fishing all over this year and last except for the two weeks I got on LG last year.

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6833 on: Jan 18, 2017, 01:52 PM »
Increased traffic mostly, but both.  You know as well as anyone, it takes more than just dropping a line to catch- unless someone gives you the gps 40" hole.  ;)   ;D  But thanks to social media, cell phones, navionics, etc.  it's a lot easier to be able to just drop a line and start catching.  Getting off topic and rambling a bit, there's a huge problem going on locally with poaching and selling to the bait shop in Whitehall from these small bodies. DEC is aware, but hard to catch them with limited resources.  I won't get into it too much because this is the best thread in the NY forum, but it's an ongoing thing.
Last year I know one local lake that the crappies got pounded by people selling them..

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6834 on: Jan 18, 2017, 02:04 PM »
Last year I know one local lake that the crappies got pounded by people selling them..
selling crappie is illegal in NY. did you call anyone?

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6835 on: Jan 18, 2017, 02:31 PM »
I stand corrected by the man foolish enough to give me his GPS numbers!  Fordman must be doing back flips laughing at me!!

Don't worry it's gonna freeze it's only a matter of time...

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6836 on: Jan 18, 2017, 03:37 PM »
I saw two separate forecasts today of a dramatic shift in the patter after the 27th or so

Of course i am a Buffalo Bills fan so i need to remain an optomist at all times  ;D
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #6837 on: Jan 18, 2017, 03:49 PM »
I saw two separate forecasts today of a dramatic shift in the patter after the 27th or so

Of course i am a Buffalo Bills fan so i need to remain an optomist at all times  ;D

funny, im also an optimist, AND a bills fan.   We need our heads examined  :wacko: :blink:

I'm still sure we will get on the king, this year is nothing like 2012.   I was still boating at this point that year.  With any luck, maybe my original 2/5 number will be correct, that would set us up just like 2011, 2010 and i think 2008.  2013 we didn't get on laker water till January 29th.

Offline jon ny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6838 on: Jan 18, 2017, 03:57 PM »
I'm more than happy with mid February.  If it goes to mid March like usual, that's a good month.  But I sure can keep my fingers crossed for earlier!
I love clipboard man

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6839 on: Jan 18, 2017, 04:00 PM »
I'm just saying assuming that some people who would be on lake George, Oneida, Champlain or others might still be going, but going to somewhere that is frozen, myself included.  If you think that's the case, great time for C&R. thought that you mentioned more pressure on your local waters as they are some of the only o nes frozen in the state on a thread, no? That's all I'm talking about. My home lake is certainly seeing more pressure this year and last, then three years ago when even our river mouths were frozen.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.