New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346714 times)

Offline lakerdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #5490 on: Mar 05, 2015, 05:44 PM »
A few years ago I seen a guy in a very popular spot  just off to the side of where everyone fishes .  with too monster pike  one was like 42 and one was like 43  .  He says he gets them  regularly on lg. I have got a few small ones  over the years . Been thinking about trying it  .

Offline pikeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5491 on: Mar 05, 2015, 05:46 PM »
P.m sent...thanks bigred

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5492 on: Mar 05, 2015, 05:53 PM »
I've been spending some time trying to find them this year one good one 38" and  a couple in low 30's.

Offline catchnofishthisisfun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5493 on: Mar 05, 2015, 07:02 PM »
Can anyone speak to the behavior of perch as far as throughout an icefishing season do the perch move from the depths to shallows at different times and for different reasons?

I was getting good perch at 45' and then i cant get anything except dinks at those depths. do they move to spawn or anything?

-Steve
"One fish. Two fish. Red fish. Blue fish. Black fish. Blue fish. Old fish. New fish. This one has a little star. This one has a little car. Say! What a lot of fish there are."  Dr. Seuss

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5494 on: Mar 05, 2015, 07:27 PM »
Can anyone speak to the behavior of perch as far as throughout an icefishing season do the perch move from the depths to shallows at different times and for different reasons?

I was getting good perch at 45' and then i cant get anything except dinks at those depths. do they move to spawn or anything?

-Steve

check out the last few pages. This question has been beat to death and answered lately. also check out the LG perch thread...

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5495 on: Mar 05, 2015, 07:31 PM »
I understand what you guys are saying...but still my question isn't answered. Im talking 25lbers+. The big girls that run 45-50"ers.

You would think EVENTUALLY someone would mistakenly catch one and we would hear about it...but nothing.

even the open water guys that are out there trolling for big lakers with big inline spinners and stuff.....you never hear about any of them catching any either.

Real simple.  Some things are best left unsaid.  The beauty of the sport is finding a situation like that.  An ignored fishery that usually sees a ton of pressure.  I surely would't be rushing to tell anyone about a big pike from there, let alone anywhere else for that matter!  Why would you?

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5496 on: Mar 05, 2015, 07:47 PM »
Real simple.  Some things are best left unsaid.  The beauty of the sport is finding a situation like that.  An ignored fishery that usually sees a ton of pressure.  I surely would't be rushing to tell anyone about a big pike from there, let alone anywhere else for that matter!  Why would you?

I am not all the quiet about big fish....

how to catch them and where, thats another thing...

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5497 on: Mar 05, 2015, 07:47 PM »
SS is saying you would think there are giant pike in here caught on somewhat of a regular basis. not 8-15# FISH, like 25+ giants with the large oily baitfish we have in LG. I know a few really good pike guys on the lake and they all say the same thing lots of 8-12# fish, very few 20# class are caught every year. over 25 is pretty unheard of. The biggest I've seen in a while is the 21# fish that came out of the north end Doug's son that used to own hague deli caught it like ten years ago. I here rumors that this guy and that guy have caught big ones but nothing confirmed.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5498 on: Mar 05, 2015, 07:50 PM »
atleast Slab knows what I am saying..

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5499 on: Mar 05, 2015, 07:54 PM »
Yuuuup! Also, prob game for wed. am will scoot into work a little late........ @)

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5500 on: Mar 05, 2015, 07:58 PM »
Yuuuup! Also, prob game for wed. am will scoot into work a little late........ @)

or take work off! I wont be able to get up there until around 9am but im staying until dark. I hafto drop my son off at daycare around 8am and my wife will pick him up.

Going to be 48 and sunny wensday.

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5501 on: Mar 05, 2015, 08:19 PM »
Loose lips sink ships.. Or fisheries.

Giant fish attracts crowds, especially db's

Why on earth would we spread the word on world class fish? 25+ lb..

One was caught on a lake nearby in JanuAry and word spread fast...

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5502 on: Mar 05, 2015, 08:27 PM »
I'd really think twice about posting a 15# plus laker or slough shark on the www is all

Offline Barebow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always fishing for something!
« Reply #5503 on: Mar 05, 2015, 08:36 PM »
I know some old timers that catch 15 + pound pike annually.  back in the 70's my dad decided to find them and caught an 18 and 12 the same afternoon. We were told then and I believe it to be true now, 12-14 inch suckers for bait, mouth of the bays in 3-15 feet of water, last week of February, before the season closes, they are staging outside the spawning grounds, they spawn immediately after ice out.  I have the heads of those 2 pike mounted on a board covered in shellac in my garage...One pike had the biggest bullfrog I ever saw in it's gut, the other had a small 5 inch turtle.  I bet a 14 inch dead ciscoe would be the best bait laying right on bottom near a weedline in the mud...Barebow

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5504 on: Mar 05, 2015, 08:45 PM »
Loose lips sink ships.. Or fisheries.

Giant fish attracts crowds, especially db's

Why on earth would we spread the word on world class fish? 25+ lb..

One was caught on a lake nearby in JanuAry and word spread fast...

Big fish are big for a reason. They pattern different then others of the same species. They have different feeding habits, and different habitats. Thats why they are big, and hard to catch.

Just because this guy catches a 25lber....and the word gets out and everyone flocks to the lake, does that mean anyone else will catch them? Chances are, not likely. Why do you think the BIG lakers are so very rarely caught? How many laker fisherman are on that lake during the winter? How many 40" lakers have been caught in the last few years? They are there....but they feed and act differently then 99% of the laker fisherman are getting your average 25"er on. Thats why they very rarely get caught...

still tho, every once in a while a trophy fish will pop up and someone doing their normal fishing routine catches one.

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5505 on: Mar 05, 2015, 09:47 PM »
Big fish are big for a reason. They pattern different then others of the same species. They have different feeding habits, and different habitats. Thats why they are big, and hard to catch.

Just because this guy catches a 25lber....and the word gets out and everyone flocks to the lake, does that mean anyone else will catch them? Chances are, not likely. Why do you think the BIG lakers are so very rarely caught? How many laker fisherman are on that lake during the winter? How many 40" lakers have been caught in the last few years? They are there....but they feed and act differently then 99% of the laker fisherman are getting your average 25"er on. Thats why they very rarely get caught...

still tho, every once in a while a trophy fish will pop up and someone doing their normal fishing routine catches one.
x2 They've been around, seen everything and are very educated. Same thing with big bucks, smarter with age. Think outside the box.

Offline ice man88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5506 on: Mar 06, 2015, 12:02 AM »
A 20lbs pike was caught last ice fishing season,the picure was in an outdoor news..And as far as the word getting out on lg,i think that ship sailed years ago..

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5507 on: Mar 06, 2015, 12:58 AM »
Yup. I mean look at sacandaga. Its no secret that absolute Giants live in that lake and it's called the Dead Sea. Not many people catch the big girls out of there but the ones that do have put their time in and are very educated on the pike movement in that lake...and it takes nothing but time and a lot of skunked days before that one giant comes.

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5508 on: Mar 06, 2015, 07:08 AM »
does anyone have current conditions for Harris? I'm looking to bring the wheeler tomorrow, also where can you park?

thanks in advance.

Steve

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5509 on: Mar 06, 2015, 07:56 AM »
does anyone have current conditions for Harris? I'm looking to bring the wheeler tomorrow, also where can you park?

thanks in advance.

Steve

I'm not sure what the conditions are but guys park along 9L and access Harris like that, just make sure your completely off the road when you park or you risk getting a ticket
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5510 on: Mar 06, 2015, 08:00 AM »
thanks NatefishNY

Offline tonebea

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5511 on: Mar 06, 2015, 08:04 AM »

thanks in advance.

Steve

I  was out there last Sunday but I was on foot. Not many people out there but those that had machines had snowmobiles. I didn't see  any wheelers. It wasn't too bad walking if I stayed on the snowmobile trails. Someone did plow about  halfway out into the bay. Might be a little tough on a wheeler past that point but probably doable, coming from someone that has no experience with one.

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5512 on: Mar 06, 2015, 08:06 AM »
thanks tonebea.  how was the parking along 9L?

Offline Pickeralpicker91

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5513 on: Mar 06, 2015, 08:20 AM »

It's should be plowed and all but it's usually crowded on weekends especially with the warmer days this weekend.  If you get there by 6:15 you should get a nice level parking spot.   6:45 and you risk getting a subpar parking spot. you'll see when you get there what i'm talking about.  Although I haven't been there since early in the season when tons of guys fished it.

Offline tonebea

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5514 on: Mar 06, 2015, 08:23 AM »

Parking was no problem on Sunday. Plenty of room to get off the road and not many people out there.

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5515 on: Mar 06, 2015, 08:38 AM »
thanks guys, appreciate it!!

Offline Berkley4life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5516 on: Mar 06, 2015, 11:58 AM »
I know a guy that caught a 20# pike 2 years ago on a salmon set in 50 fow.  They are probaly all over the water column chasing perch, smelt and ciscos just like the lakers.  My wifes uncle caught one years ago over 25lbs.  They are in there.

Offline Chase88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5517 on: Mar 06, 2015, 04:06 PM »
There are a few big ones in the lake, I see them every year when they go up in Dunham's Bay Marsh to spawn.  Most are 10 to 15 but there are a few big ones in the mix. I don't think you will get the same size that you get in Sacandaga because in there the big ones are feeding on 10lb carp. The big ones in Lake George are feeding on ciscoes for the most part. Of course a 20lb pike can just about feed on anything it wants. I have seen 5lb lakers with teeth marks in them.

Offline clarky215285

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5518 on: Mar 06, 2015, 10:04 PM »
I'll be going to vets tomorrow morning.   Never been up there.    I was told to go around the north side of the sagamore

Offline FishinMikeY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5519 on: Mar 07, 2015, 03:13 AM »
Hitting up vets on Sunday with my dad and brother. Can't even wait. How's the ice looking?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.