New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346663 times)

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #4980 on: Feb 04, 2015, 07:43 PM »
I have decent performance with Berkley Fireline Crystal in 6 and 8lb test with matching weight Fluro leader (15'). Seems to hold less water than regular Fireline or PowerPro. I love PowerPro Depth Hunter for open water jigging but it's a nightmare on the ice! As far as hook set issues, keep them sharp and switch out your hooks with Gamagatsu or similar quality brand!

Good luck!

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4981 on: Feb 04, 2015, 07:49 PM »
Ok gentlemen.  I would like some input on a few things.

Anybody know if the road is plowed down to Huletts landing park?

The first couple times this year going for lakers I was using the same rod I did last year.  A 24" medium action rod with 8lb test mono.  Never really had any problems setting the hook in 60-100 fow.  There were the occasional missed hook sets but not very common.  I broke down and purchased a 38" Jason Mitchell Mackinaw medium heavy rod.  Lined it with the same 8lb mono.  First time fishing with it I missed the first 3 fish that hit my lure. I was getting really frustrated, the next several fish that hit I would litterly have to (as im setting hook) take 4-5 steps backwards to be able to get a hookset to hold.  This posed a serious problem if I were to be inside my shack.  So, on my way home I stopped and bought some braid. Threw out the brand new mono that was on my reel and re-lined with 15lb fireline braid tied to a size 10 spro (sp?) barrel swivel to 15lb flouro leader (30").  First time out with that setup, horrible experience, braid freezes to eyelets, freezes around reel, lure fall was wicked slow, pretty much had to hand feed the line off from the reel all the way to the bottom.  Hook ups were solid though, no stretch.  Tried it one more time today.  Again, solid hookset, but had a few lookers and chasers that would shoot back down to the bottom.  By the time I could hand feed the lure back down the fish were long gone.  So again, I stop and pick up some new line.  Throw out the brand new braid ($20+) and this time I am trying the power pro super slick braid. (another $20+) with the same swivel and leader.  Probably should have inquired whether I am going to have the same experiences to you fellow anglers before the purchase, but it cant get any worse.

So, am I going to have the same freezing problems? 

Anybody run just straight flouro?  I am thinking about trying this or just go back to mono.  For some reason, I am getting a lot more lookers and just chasers than I have before with just mono.  Are they seeing the braid? or swivel?

Thanks for reading. Help is appreciated.

Braid retains water more then mono and floro. That is why you are getting frozen eyelets. That being said, your braid is also thick. Go with a 6-8lb pro power braid ( NOT the super slick junk) and put on a 10-12lb floro leader. The strength of 8lb braid is equal to that of 20lb mono, but with NO stretch. Not having stretch at those depth's is key to plant that hook where it needs to be. Lakers are famous for head shaking and spinning so any line with stretch increases your chance of a lost fish.

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4982 on: Feb 05, 2015, 05:46 AM »
Was this off pilot knob?
Sacandaga, which has a lot more ice than Lake George.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline ufirst

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4983 on: Feb 05, 2015, 06:09 AM »
a little help please ... I,m going to lg for the first time next wk  and staying in town  for 3 days /nights we will b fishing w jigs n tilts everything u no.... please I don't want your spots.... but where could I park n start  fishing  for lakers?? we r on foot no 4 wheelers . one more question what is a few of the laker jigs u like . and I guess u get bait around town??? ...thanx  I live on cape n ice fish for y perch  caught um  up to 15+ in yesterday, there great eating

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4984 on: Feb 05, 2015, 06:20 AM »
a little help please ... I,m going to lg for the first time next wk  and staying in town  for 3 days /nights we will b fishing w jigs n tilts everything u no.... please I don't want your spots.... but where could I park n start  fishing  for lakers?? we r on foot no 4 wheelers . one more question what is a few of the laker jigs u like . and I guess u get bait around town??? ...thanx  I live on cape n ice fish for y perch  caught um  up to 15+ in yesterday, there great eating

Fish307 is right out of town...       http://www.fish307.com/   They will be able to hook you up with bait, jigs and information... ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Neversink Jimmy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish 'Till Ya' Puke...
« Reply #4985 on: Feb 05, 2015, 06:40 AM »
Go with a 6-8lb pro power braid ( NOT the super slick junk) and put on a 10-12lb floro leader. The strength of 8lb braid is equal to that of 20lb mono, but with NO stretch.

If I'm not mistaken, 8lb PowerPro has a breaking strength of 8lbs.   It just has a much thinner diameter than mono.
"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right" 

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4986 on: Feb 05, 2015, 07:02 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, 8lb PowerPro has a breaking strength of 8lbs.   It just has a much thinner diameter than mono.

breaking strength of braid is higher then what it is rated for...

hook up a scale to a piece of 8lb braid and give it a try...

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4987 on: Feb 05, 2015, 07:40 AM »
Sacandaga, which has a lot more ice than Lake George.

Apparently not in that spot!    ;D

JJ

« Reply #4988 on: Feb 05, 2015, 07:59 AM »
Apparently you missed his point. There are many places on LG that are thinner than where that truck went through.

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4989 on: Feb 05, 2015, 08:05 AM »
Fish off of vets yesterday. I dragged my portable out and what a bad idea, the walk sucked. There were decent trails on the way out, but the wind filled them in with snow for the walk back in.    :wacko:  It took twice as long heading in. I couldn't get the perch to cooperate. I put jig after jig in quite a few holes, and got nothing. After seeing a few Lakers pop up and look at my jigs, with one smacking my Hali, I figured I'd throw down a spoon. Within a minute I hooked up and lost it at the hole, not long after that I landed my first laker on a jig stick, 24 incher.  :clap: I ended up 2 for 4, with a few other chasers and quite a few lookers.

Offline foulhooked

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4990 on: Feb 05, 2015, 08:49 AM »
breaking strength of braid is higher then what it is rated for...

hook up a scale to a piece of 8lb braid and give it a try...

many lines have breaking strength higher than they are rated, and manufacturers seem to play this game by building lines stronger than they rate them, but it also has to do with manufacturing tolerances. only way to know for sure is to buy IFGA line, or do your own testing. braid and mono will also react differently to different stresses (shock-loading, knot types, water, temp, abrasion, etc). regardless, a lb test rating for any line should be (relatively) comparable in strength regardless of line type.

I like the nano fil so far; expensive but minimal icing problems and shows now wear whatsoever after a couple of seasons of use so far.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4991 on: Feb 05, 2015, 09:06 AM »
Apparently you missed his point. There are many places on LG that are thinner than where that truck went through.

Oh, I got his point loud and clear JJ, don't assume I didn't because of the way I posted.  (joking is allowed right ??? )  I am well aware of the LG ice conditions, thank you.

JJ

« Reply #4992 on: Feb 05, 2015, 09:48 AM »
Sorry, guess I misunderstood the  ::).

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4993 on: Feb 05, 2015, 09:58 AM »
I chose a better option.   :P ;) ;D :o

Offline 1.21jiggawop

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4994 on: Feb 05, 2015, 10:59 AM »
thanks for the post JJ beautiful fish!!

Offline reggie1610

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4995 on: Feb 05, 2015, 11:21 AM »
Fish off of vets yesterday. I dragged my portable out and what a bad idea, the walk sucked. There were decent trails on the way out, but the wind filled them in with snow for the walk back in.    :wacko:  It took twice as long heading in. I couldn't get the perch to cooperate. I put jig after jig in quite a few holes, and got nothing. After seeing a few Lakers pop up and look at my jigs, with one smacking my Hali, I figured I'd throw down a spoon. Within a minute I hooked up and lost it at the hole, not long after that I landed my first laker on a jig stick, 24 incher.  :clap: I ended up 2 for 4, with a few other chasers and quite a few lookers.

It took us a little while to find the perch in vets yesterday. Our best jig was a gold hali with spikes right on the bottom and not even moving it.

Ended up doing ok with 30 keepers and the walk back was pretty awful like you said.

Offline jdog42

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4996 on: Feb 05, 2015, 01:22 PM »
Just wondering how much snow is on the lake any updates

Offline sjord89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get reel
« Reply #4997 on: Feb 05, 2015, 02:36 PM »
Tried a new spot today with my buddy Craig, looking for pike on the tip-ups and jigging for lakers. He got a nice 30"+ laker on a tip-up early, released to be enjoyed by someone again. No pike and a couple other smaller lakers on the bait rigs.

(Image removed from quote.)

nice one jigs!!
If you drill it, they will come...

Offline MJB518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4998 on: Feb 05, 2015, 02:57 PM »
Where art thou lakers ??? ???. 2.73 miles on foot today. Managed 3 fish. I am exhausted. The walking really sucks right now.  Thinking about putting the brand new 2 man flip over away and breaking the jet sled and pop up back out. Next year I am definitely going to buy a cheap snowmobile.  Pressure crack I crossed yesterday is now a 2-3 ft ice heave. Tried spudding across it in several areas. Could get up to it but other side was 12" of watery slush. Unsafe ice under it.
SSsmokinSS...you were right about the power pro super slick too. Slightly better then just braid but still sucks. Back to mono!!!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4999 on: Feb 05, 2015, 03:04 PM »

Read back a page or 2.  Answer is posted  :tipup:

Offline burt reynolds

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5000 on: Feb 05, 2015, 03:23 PM »
what is this, cisco?...jugged up yesterday off pilot knob in 100'...10" +/-

http://s1227.photobucket.com/user/jjcurtis90/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpg.html

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #5001 on: Feb 05, 2015, 03:43 PM »
Yes cisco.  Kill it, cut the swim bladder, and sink it to the bottom on a big treble and you might catch a monster laker :tipup:

Offline jon ny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5002 on: Feb 05, 2015, 03:50 PM »
what is this, cisco?...jugged up yesterday off pilot knob in 100'...10" +/-

http://s1227.photobucket.com/user/jjcurtis90/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpg.html

It's a mutated offspring of the laser shark.  Please send the fish to me, so I can properly dispose of it for you.  ;)

Yes, that's a cisco.
I love clipboard man

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5003 on: Feb 05, 2015, 06:11 PM »
About 4-6 inches and blowing off fast, at least the way the wind was blowing today..
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5004 on: Feb 05, 2015, 06:15 PM »
Thanks JJ! I mean, I guess it would be ok if you had someone to lower your truck onto the ice with a helicopter in a certain spot, but otherwise............. ..

Offline IcemanADK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5005 on: Feb 05, 2015, 07:58 PM »
I like the nano fil so far; expensive but minimal icing problems and shows now wear whatsoever after a couple of seasons of use so far.

You'll pay for it, but that Nanofil is worth every penny. Open water and hard water. Can't say enough good about it.
"As I grow older, I've come to suspect that I have got it backwards, and that life, at its best, is a metaphor for fishing and writing. Or perhaps neither side of any metaphor is finally dominant, the one inextricably tied to its contrasting likeness, no longer merely a point of comparison but yoked in a new existence to its other self."
Wayne Fields

Offline lockdown199

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life to the fullest
« Reply #5006 on: Feb 05, 2015, 08:45 PM »
Anyone hitting Hearthstone or FA Beach in the am?

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #5007 on: Feb 06, 2015, 07:45 AM »
Fished out of Vets yesterday with two of my sons and a buddy of theirs. Conditions were pretty nasty. The temperatures weren't too bad, but the winds were strong and the walk out was killer thru the snow, even with 2 Smitty sleds and spikes on. The snow is just like walking thru sand on a beach.
We didn't make it out to where we wanted to go for lakers, but it wasn't from lack of trying....just pure exhaustion..... ;D
Ended up out beyond the pressure ridge in 45'-60' and they set 9 tip ups high for salmon, 6 low for lakers. Several wind flags, but we did have a few takes....nothing landed on tip ups. The foam covers I made for the tipups worked wonders yesterday for the boys!
I'd like to personally say "Thank You" to Ship Of Fools and IceWanderer for passing me very helpful information in the past and recently on how to try to target and coax the lakers. It's a whole new game to me with a big learning curve, but one I really look forward to pursuing.
Also a huge Thank You to all of you guys who always share your information, pictures, video's, equipment, techniques...you guys are awesome....Thank You all.....:thumbsup:

I wish I had a great report of double digit catches, but I don't....we weren't that fortunate yesterday...however, my youngest son (21) followed directions well and coaxed 2 of several chasers into hitting and landed both! No keepers, but 21" and 19" and that was well worth every ounce of sweat we dripped dragging out all the gear....it made the trip memorable for all of us, and thats what its all about in my book.....Thank You Guys!  :icefish:

Fishmon

« Reply #5008 on: Feb 06, 2015, 07:46 AM »
Was out with my 4 wheeler in northern basin yesterday and it is really tough going out there with snow and drifts.  I put chains on all 4 wheels and it will plow through but creates a ground blizzard.  My flip over took a beating. Use your cover when moving longer distances or you will be shoveling out your flip over. Be careful around pressure ridges.  Some have heaved up and others have opened up.  Ice is solid 10inches plus in most places. Fishing was OK.  The lakers seemed a little less aggressive than before the snow.  Had to aggravate them a little bit ;)

Offline run320083

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5009 on: Feb 06, 2015, 08:00 AM »
anyone been off of bixby recently? heading up in a bit after a few conf calls for work. Was wondering if access is ok there. I know the bubblers were keeping a crack open for a while.
Thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.