New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346717 times)

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #4800 on: Jan 30, 2015, 11:54 AM »
You guys have already given it up 10 fold on this thread.
And successfully turned me into a Trout fisherman. It took all day to do it, but I was able to get 8 to hit the ice. I was kind and released just as many before they hit the ice.  :P First time I've fished in a while without killing anything.
A lil tip I might have figured out yesterday. (Still not sure if it was coincidental).
I was able to get a handful of aggressive chases after pounding the bottom 5 or 6 times before I start coming up really fast with my buckshot.
Hopefully I'm not giving up something you guys are trying to keep secret from us pan fish guys.  ;D I'm figuring them out little by little. 
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4801 on: Jan 30, 2015, 12:18 PM »
After I get bored of pounding bottom I'll Dead stick it 5 foot off bottom, usually with in 5 minutes a interested fish  comes close for a look, that's when I just start cranking it away. They seem to be the most likely to hit too. I figure the lure is unwinding and they are waiting to see the next move. Try it some time during intermission. 5 foot off bottom.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4802 on: Jan 30, 2015, 12:32 PM »
After I get bored of pounding bottom I'll Dead stick it 5 foot off bottom, usually with in 5 minutes a interested fish  comes close for a look, that's when I just start cranking it away. They seem to be the most likely to hit too. I figure the lure is unwinding and they are waiting to see the next move. Try it some time during intermission. 5 foot off bottom.

Last weekend 4" white tubes deadsticked saw the most eyeballs....funny how curious they are!  Pounding and ripping the jig also called some in. 

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4803 on: Jan 30, 2015, 12:35 PM »
That makes a lot of sense. Never failed yesterday for me. Set the rod on my bucket with the jig a few feet up and grab my phone, e cig, or sandwich and a fish was bound to show up. I lost half a sandwich to a hole in a panic to grab my rod and start reeling. I guess I'll consider myself lucky it wasn't worse.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline lavaman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4804 on: Jan 30, 2015, 12:37 PM »
great advise

Offline jon ny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4805 on: Jan 30, 2015, 12:45 PM »
You guys have already given it up 10 fold on this thread.
And successfully turned me into a Trout fisherman. It took all day to do it, but I was able to get 8 to hit the ice. I was kind and released just as many before they hit the ice.  :P First time I've fished in a while without killing anything.
A lil tip I might have figured out yesterday. (Still not sure if it was coincidental).
I was able to get a handful of aggressive chases after pounding the bottom 5 or 6 times before I start coming up really fast with my buckshot.
Hopefully I'm not giving up something you guys are trying to keep secret from us pan fish guys.  ;D I'm figuring them out little by little.

And there I was perching yesterday.  The world's backwards these days.
I love clipboard man

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #4806 on: Jan 30, 2015, 12:51 PM »
That makes a lot of sense. Never failed yesterday for me. Set the rod on my bucket with the jig a few feet up and grab my phone, e cig, or sandwich and a fish was bound to show up. I lost half a sandwich to a hole in a panic to grab my rod and start reeling. I guess I'll consider myself lucky it wasn't worse.

worst is when you open the shanty to relieve yourself, look over and mid-relief see a fish coming on the screen...i mean its not like im not going to ignore the chance to hook another fish  ;D  Lake Trout problems  @)

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4807 on: Jan 30, 2015, 12:57 PM »
I have done really well with lakers with a big swedish pimple, and a dead icicle on the end of it and dead sticking it right on the bottom, but twitching it just a few inches so it looks like its a dieing smelt on the bottom. They come and hammer it. When you lift it up a little bit, you will feel "weight". Just like bass fishing with a jig!

I pulled 8 lakers out of one hole within 45 minutes one afternoon doing this.....with NO sonar.

Offline IcemanADK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4808 on: Jan 30, 2015, 01:41 PM »
I have done really well with lakers with a big swedish pimple, and a dead icicle on the end of it and dead sticking it right on the bottom, but twitching it just a few inches so it looks like its a dieing smelt on the bottom. They come and hammer it. When you lift it up a little bit, you will feel "weight". Just like bass fishing with a jig!

I pulled 8 lakers out of one hole within 45 minutes one afternoon doing this.....with NO sonar.

This technique is a hoax! Never works. Don't every try it.  ;)
"As I grow older, I've come to suspect that I have got it backwards, and that life, at its best, is a metaphor for fishing and writing. Or perhaps neither side of any metaphor is finally dominant, the one inextricably tied to its contrasting likeness, no longer merely a point of comparison but yoked in a new existence to its other self."
Wayne Fields

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4809 on: Jan 30, 2015, 01:47 PM »
2 things...where are the icicles being sold and someone please tell me how to reprint my lic. from that cluster of an online licensing system NY has!  I can log in but I can't for the life of me figure out how to find and print it.

Fishmon

« Reply #4810 on: Jan 30, 2015, 01:52 PM »
Got my biggest one yesterday while eating a sandwich and just letting the jig hang there.  He looked, chased and crushed it while ruining my sandwich and knocking a few things over only to get released to do it again :) :)

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #4811 on: Jan 30, 2015, 01:52 PM »
2 things...where are the icicles being sold and someone please tell me how to reprint my lic. from that cluster of an online licensing system NY has!  I can log in but I can't for the life of me figure out how to find and print it.

You have to insert $5.00 for the license and pay additional $75 Andrew Cuomo Hates Upstate NY tax just to get your reprint.  ;D ;)
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline bassinbrian_on_ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lakers are Fun !
« Reply #4812 on: Jan 30, 2015, 02:24 PM »
Got my biggest one yesterday while eating a sandwich and just letting the jig hang there.  He looked, chased and crushed it while ruining my sandwich and knocking a few things over only to get released to do it again :) :)

Yup  ;)  last week I was downing an egg sandwich ... and here they come !  I did all I could not to lose my food & land the fish. HAHA
Slimy little jerks !!

Kind of like Stripers, we'll stop to eat or take a call ... ZZZZZZZZZZ there goes a screamer.
Just passing time until spring Stripers !

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4813 on: Jan 30, 2015, 02:31 PM »
You have to insert $5.00 for the license and pay additional $75 Andrew Cuomo Hates Upstate NY tax just to get your reprint.  ;D ;)

Seriously...I have 2 old one days in my wallet with my conservation number because I dont have a print of my out of state yearly....

Offline jon ny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4814 on: Jan 30, 2015, 04:09 PM »
Snowed all day unfortunately.  So much for an afternoon snow shower.  Gonna take a lot of wind to blow it off the lake now.
I love clipboard man

Offline foulhooked

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4815 on: Jan 30, 2015, 04:39 PM »
Snowed all day unfortunately.  So much for an afternoon snow shower.  Gonna take a lot of wind to blow it off the lake now.

Tomorrow should help

Offline adktony

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4816 on: Jan 30, 2015, 04:54 PM »
Wats the best bait for lakers? Hunts??? Or shiners
Whatever catches them that day! Every time I go out lately I seem the have to go through my whole tackle box to figure out what they are interested in. Good thing I have 3 rods setup so I can re tie another while I watch a laker on my screen looking at my lure only to drop my other rig down the hole.... I seem to be cursed with lg lakers this season 2 days getting skunked out there and I gave up and actually went for those pesky little perch things... damn I hate cleaning them but they do taste pretty good. Had to prove to myself I can still catch fish on monday and got a decent limit in under 3 hrs all over 9 in. Now to break the curse on Sunday hopefully... hopefully :-\

Offline jeep528

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4817 on: Jan 30, 2015, 05:12 PM »
looking to head out to dome island in the morning.  Any idea on how much snow is out there.

Thanks

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4818 on: Jan 30, 2015, 05:23 PM »
Not a lot of snow but enough to make the drag off a pain. Wheeler or sled from here on out for me. 10+" of ice time to start up the powere auger to maybe

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4819 on: Jan 30, 2015, 05:40 PM »
looking to head out to dome island in the morning.  Any idea on how much snow is out there.

Thanks

Ur a diehard !!! From Channel 6 Weather:

Bitter Cold and Wind to Bring Dangerous Below Zero Wind Chills Tonight Low pressure will rapidly intensify in the Guld of Maine tonight causing the wind to increase from the west-northwest in gusts from 35-40 mph driving a bitterly cold air mass into the region. Temperatures will plunge to near or below zero with wind chills later tonight through Saturday morning dropping to a range of -15 to -25 at times. Dress appropriately for the cold wearing layers, a hat and gloves and covering exposed skin surfaces to reduce the chance for frost bite which can set develop in as little at 15-20 minutes on exposed skin surfaces. Pets should be brought in - if you're cold they are too.

Offline pike n walleye slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4820 on: Jan 30, 2015, 05:49 PM »
Life is too short NOT to fish!!!

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4821 on: Jan 30, 2015, 05:50 PM »
That will build the ice fast. 2 more weeks and the PA boys will be tearing it up. Reel force I will be at the same spot we fished last time on Wed. the 11th.  ;)
MAY YOUR FLAGS FLY HIGH & YOUR LINES BE TIGHT.

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4822 on: Jan 30, 2015, 05:52 PM »
That will build the ice fast. 2 more weeks and the PA boys will be tearing it up. Reel force I will be at the same spot we fished last time on Wed. the 11th.  ;)

:thumbsup:

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4823 on: Jan 30, 2015, 05:55 PM »
Im headed out that way too before sunup.  6 hour drive round trip and 12hrs on the ice...cant wait!  The colder the better!  No different than last Sunday's weather.

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4824 on: Jan 30, 2015, 06:02 PM »
Im headed out that way too before sunup.  6 hour drive round trip and 12hrs on the ice...cant wait!  The colder the better!  No different than last Sunday's weather.

You're gonna appreciate that wind skirt below your bench seat in that new Otter tomorrow!  :)

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4825 on: Jan 30, 2015, 06:07 PM »
Going to hit the lake for the first time this year. Not sure where yet, thinking around PK somewhere. Looking to get my first jigged up
laker. ;D

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4826 on: Jan 30, 2015, 06:19 PM »
I almost forgot how much it sux dragging a flip over across the snow. The lake had 3-4 inches where i was tonight. Get the smallest amount of water on the bottom and it's like your dragging a rock.  Had the wind to my back on the way off, so I set up my shack as a sail. Helped for the first hundred yards then with one good gust it blew over sending my gear. Lol perch all over the canvas sliming it up. Will be nice for the next trip.

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4827 on: Jan 30, 2015, 06:51 PM »
I almost forgot how much it sux dragging a flip over across the snow. The lake had 3-4 inches where i was tonight. Get the smallest amount of water on the bottom and it's like your dragging a rock.  Had the wind to my back on the way off, so I set up my shack as a sail. Helped for the first hundred yards then with one good gust it blew over sending my gear. Lol perch all over the canvas sliming it up. Will be nice for the next trip.

Well there is your problem. Your were weighed down with perch dude.

Offline Fish-N-Adventures

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish on!
« Reply #4828 on: Jan 30, 2015, 08:12 PM »
How long y'all staying? Maybe till the next monday? if so I might be able to hook up with y'all?
Good luck in 2 weeks, plenty of ice for the quads..Fish On!

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4829 on: Jan 30, 2015, 08:24 PM »
As much as i love jiggin lakers i have to see. This hotel in Miami is pretty nice. Wife's lookin hot. Honeymoon has officially begun. This time tomorrow ill be cruisen the Caribbean sea. good luck and stay safe boys. leave a few for me when i get back. until then its sun and fun baby.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.