New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346692 times)

Offline slugo71

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #4620 on: Jan 26, 2015, 08:11 AM »
nice job

Offline rondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hudson River Salmon
« Reply #4621 on: Jan 26, 2015, 10:05 AM »
Went to Ft. Ann beach yesterday,the wind was blowing snow so hard you couldn't see 200 yds. out,went to breakfast and came home

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4622 on: Jan 26, 2015, 10:08 AM »

Nice fish , so that's what it looks like from your side of the lake. 
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4623 on: Jan 26, 2015, 10:11 AM »
Whoa, that's a dandy :tipup:   
WOW! Did you get a weight on that fish? 
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4624 on: Jan 26, 2015, 11:07 AM »
I was lucky enough to score a cisco over the weekend in an odd way. I made my way to a drunken groups area after they left to pick up the tipup line and cig butts they left behind. I appreciate the english lesson they provided for the 5 kids I had out there with me. I also appreciate the cisco they left with the pile of trash. 
I sunk the cisco on a tipup in 10fow while I jigged perch. I was kind of hoping for a decent pike, but didn't cry over seeing our largest trout this year. Instant gratification in it's finest for right here.
][URL=http://s497.photobucket.com/user/jamey_barrows/media/imagejpeg_0-1-1%201_zpsvjvmvfyh.jpg.html][/url]
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #4625 on: Jan 26, 2015, 11:08 AM »
Nice Jamey!
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4626 on: Jan 26, 2015, 11:09 AM »
Sorry for the double pic...Again!

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4627 on: Jan 26, 2015, 11:22 AM »
I believe that is called Karma  ;)

Way to make lemonade from a lemon!
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4628 on: Jan 26, 2015, 11:28 AM »
Nice work.  Guys....I have a new addiction.  I doubt I'll fish anywhere else his season.  Good thing gas is cheap...

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4629 on: Jan 26, 2015, 11:34 AM »
nice fish perchslayer  thought you didn't like those sewer trout ;D ;D

Offline IcemanADK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4630 on: Jan 26, 2015, 11:40 AM »
Nice work.  Guys....I have a new addiction.  I doubt I'll fish anywhere else his season.  Good thing gas is cheap...

Isn't it awesome?! I've been hooked for about five years now - can't get enough.
Late-ice/pre-spawn crappies run a close second, but nothing beats the chase on the Vex.
It will haunt your dreams.
"As I grow older, I've come to suspect that I have got it backwards, and that life, at its best, is a metaphor for fishing and writing. Or perhaps neither side of any metaphor is finally dominant, the one inextricably tied to its contrasting likeness, no longer merely a point of comparison but yoked in a new existence to its other self."
Wayne Fields

Offline tjk3rd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4631 on: Jan 26, 2015, 11:52 AM »
Would anyone give me a good starting area to fish for lake trout on Lake George?  My son and I have never fished there.  Thanks in advance

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4632 on: Jan 26, 2015, 11:55 AM »
I like to call it the "Lake George rut".
I have friends and family fishing all over the state every weekend and will fish Lake George alone before I head anywhere else to fish while she's froze.
I could go on and on how the lake has changed my life. I've seriously lost a couple decent women to that lake. I warn them all in advance and they all claim they can hang. Until they see what it's like to date a prchslyr.  @)

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4633 on: Jan 26, 2015, 11:55 AM »
Spectacular Laker for your friend Lance, congrats to him! What we all dream of! And also a big congrats to you Jamey for putting your Son on a beauty! Nicely done Guys! I'm beyond Green with Envy!  ;D

MK

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4634 on: Jan 26, 2015, 12:00 PM »
the crack at PK is pretty scary and so is the one at vets. 

Please use caution out there guys!

We used a rope to cross them this weekend.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4635 on: Jan 26, 2015, 12:03 PM »
Would anyone give me a good starting area to fish for lake trout on Lake George?  My son and I have never fished there.  Thanks in advance
We get plenty of accidental trout while jigging perch. If you sink 5 tipups in any common perch bay for the day, you're probably going to see a couple trout. The big numbers of trout are tough to get without putting in a LOT of time.
Don't be afraid to work some really deep water with your jig rods. I like bays that have deep water nearby a big perching bay. No one is going to give up the honey holes, but check some maps. Especially if your son is a kid. Devote 1/2 a day to working big white pimples in 70+ fow without sitting on a hole more than 10 minutes if it's not producing. More often than not, I get frustrated and drag the kids in to finish the day jigging perch. It's keeps my boys and I from getting totally discouraged while we're tying to learn the trout game better. Every now and then I get lucky and cut a magic hole for trout. They're getting more and more frequent for me.
Good luck man!

Offline pike n walleye slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4636 on: Jan 26, 2015, 12:11 PM »
New to lake trout fishing what pound leader do you run and what size treble hook should I be running? Any info is greatly appreciated
Life is too short NOT to fish!!!

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4637 on: Jan 26, 2015, 12:16 PM »
New to lake trout fishing what pound leader do you run and what size treble hook should I be running? Any info is greatly appreciated
I like to go small on my tipups. 6 or 8lb flouro with a 12 or 14 hook. Gotta be a little stealthy when your bait is sitting and they can good look.
The guys that jig them aren't afraid to use telephone pole cable and a 1lb pimple. The fast action of when they hit a jig doesn't ever give them a good look at your rig.  ;)

Offline ejp419

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4638 on: Jan 26, 2015, 01:07 PM »
I've caught a lot of Lakers on 4 ft of 8lb flouro leader and #6 treble. Need a big hook for big bait for big fish  ;D

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4639 on: Jan 26, 2015, 01:08 PM »
Great Lakers guys...    :clap: :thumbsup:
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4640 on: Jan 26, 2015, 01:10 PM »
I like to call it the "Lake George rut".
I have friends and family fishing all over the state every weekend and will fish Lake George alone before I head anywhere else to fish while she's froze.
I could go on and on how the lake has changed my life. I've seriously lost a couple decent women to that lake. I warn them all in advance and they all claim they can hang. Until they see what it's like to date a prchslyr.  @)

You are not kidding!  Tooks me years to find one that could hang.  I set the expectation from the beginning.

As for the lake...words can't describe....I'll be back Saturday this time with a healthy desire to put a dent in that perch population.  prchslyr if your out and would like to fish with a couple CT crazies pm me.

Offline pike n walleye slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4641 on: Jan 26, 2015, 01:23 PM »
Fluoro is definitely the best way to go better than mono?
Life is too short NOT to fish!!!

Offline baitbox

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4642 on: Jan 26, 2015, 01:57 PM »
Mixed bag of fun last 3 days on the lake.   The lakers are throwing us off a little bit, our traditional spots that have produced our numbers the last 10-15 years have suddenly gone very cold.   I guess thats what makes it interesting.   Gonna put some miles on in the next few weekends trying old and new spots.   The perch were biting really really well the one time we tried.  Ultimately, we did get plenty of Lake Trout, and some bruisers too, just not a lot of the craziness that typifies the early season.

Here's my buddy Bri with a 30"+
(Image removed from quote.)
Once again congrats BigRed and gang.You guys put some awesome lakers on the ice!

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #4643 on: Jan 26, 2015, 02:22 PM »
Went to Ft. Ann beach yesterday,the wind was blowing snow so hard you couldn't see 200 yds. out,went to breakfast and came home

You didn't notice the trees swaying in the breeze at 5am before you left your house ;D

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #4644 on: Jan 26, 2015, 03:11 PM »
You didn't notice the trees swaying in the breeze at 5am before you left your house ;D

two of my buddies ruined their shanties with one of those wind gusts...i kept mine tucked in downwind of my UTV (great wind break)

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #4645 on: Jan 26, 2015, 03:23 PM »
two of my buddies ruined their shanties with one of those wind gusts...i kept mine tucked in downwind of my UTV (great wind break)

Ouch!  That makes for an expensive outing :o  I heard that wind howling and stayed home but I bet the lakers were aggressive compared to Saturday :tipup:

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #4646 on: Jan 26, 2015, 03:24 PM »
I bet the lakers were aggressive compared to Saturday :tipup:

not like you would expect at all...weird year.  I think the smelt population is higher than other years right now...

Offline rondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hudson River Salmon
« Reply #4647 on: Jan 26, 2015, 04:03 PM »
I did but was hoping it would go away ::)

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4648 on: Jan 26, 2015, 04:11 PM »

That wind in the morning was no joke, my buddy and I were in his two man flip over and I thought we were going to fly away... Crazy day but good laker fishing, we put some miles on out feet tho, walking a ways from where we parked and bouncing around, I bet we walked 6 miles start to finish which wasn't to bad on glare ice
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4649 on: Jan 26, 2015, 05:04 PM »
Not as many marks on the flasher this year compared to last, some of the ones I've caught have a streched gut like I've never seen on a 19-20"er.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.