New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346757 times)

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #4440 on: Jan 20, 2015, 03:47 PM »
Way to get after em Lance and crew and good talking to you today.  Salmon at the KING are pretty rare to begin with but a salmon from the KING jigging for lakers is almost as rare as a golden laker :o    Can't wait for the weekend to get on some fresh trout on the flats away from the crowds ;)

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4441 on: Jan 20, 2015, 03:51 PM »
^^^

Friends don't let friends use tipups unless there is a cisco on the hook

^^ Fixed that for ya slipbob  ::)

Offline lakerscottyj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4442 on: Jan 20, 2015, 05:02 PM »
Thank god for insurance. Just received the quote 7,256 dollars and and one dead buck. Nice photos RED. I'm still in the lead on the Laker count! lol.  ;D

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4443 on: Jan 20, 2015, 05:25 PM »
^^^

Friends don't let friends use tipups unless there is a cisco on the hook

^^ Fixed that for ya slipbob  ::)

tipups and a dead cisco fished on the bottom at the KING could get you a big laker but that's not my game :tipup:  I go for numbers with the jig stick ;D

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4444 on: Jan 20, 2015, 05:27 PM »
Thank god for insurance. Just received the quote 7,256 dollars and and one dead buck. Nice photos RED. I'm still in the lead on the Laker count! lol.  ;D

Good thing you didn't get hurt with that much damage.  Too bad about your vehicle but being that it's a comprehensive claim, other than paying your deductible it won't affect your rates ;)   

Offline ADK11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4445 on: Jan 20, 2015, 05:28 PM »
If i head down tomorrow with a wheeler is there any spots i need to watch out for? i have no idea where i want to go just yet.
Loving the Adirondacks.

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4446 on: Jan 20, 2015, 05:31 PM »
90 percent of the lake is not ready for a wheeler

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #4447 on: Jan 20, 2015, 05:37 PM »
90 percent of the lake is not ready for a wheeler

Guys were running wheelers up to the narrows from vets saturday.   As long as you avoid the pressure ridges, the entire north end, the last areas to freeze in NW bay, diamond island, that bad spot off MDB and all the usual danger areas, you might stay dry.  I would wait for a few more days of good low temps tho.

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4448 on: Jan 20, 2015, 05:51 PM »
I've been fishing on some of the first ice that formed and there was only 6" anyone with a wheeler out on the main lake is a whole lot "braver" than me.

Offline fishboy899

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4449 on: Jan 20, 2015, 06:22 PM »
Anyone been out to laker territory from vets? Any ice or fishing reports? Looking to head out Friday.

Offline ADK11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4450 on: Jan 20, 2015, 06:26 PM »
If i was heading to vets tomorrow what baitshop is near there? Im coming from the north.
Loving the Adirondacks.

Offline EasternCentralNY21

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love The Great Outdoors
« Reply #4451 on: Jan 20, 2015, 06:41 PM »
Fished off harris tonight.. got into em just as dark set in. Typical lake George night bite u couldn't keep your jig down there.. couldn't get it down fast enough. Ended up only bringing 3 home but they were giants. Hey I think I saw one of you guys out there.  U were on your wheeler u stopped on your way out we had just set up..  anyway.. good solid 7 or 8 Inches I would say I didn't even measure it.. have fun be safe

Offline riverat24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4452 on: Jan 20, 2015, 07:09 PM »
That Salmon is a beauty a rare prize for your dedication and persistence.

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4453 on: Jan 20, 2015, 07:34 PM »
tipups and a dead cisco fished on the bottom at the KING could get you a big laker but that's not my game :tipup:  I go for numbers with the jig stick ;D

I'm with you on the numbers.  I can't believe how fast the day can go jigging lakers!!

Or perch..
Or ciscos..
But definatly lakers

But how will I get a ten pounder jigging??  Hmmm?
I think the tip up guys would kick the jiggers butts on quality over quantity.  But I do know of a 25 pound northern pike caught on a sweetish pimple so **censored** do I know?

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4454 on: Jan 20, 2015, 07:38 PM »
That Salmon is a beauty a rare prize for your dedication and persistence.

I'll say!!

thats my thirty point buck, just a dream lol

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4455 on: Jan 20, 2015, 07:40 PM »
The bigger lakers usually do not chase. They will scoop up bait sitting there suspended, or on the bottom.

my 16lber came on a tip up over some deeeep water on the edge of a sunken island.

Offline ADK11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4456 on: Jan 20, 2015, 07:41 PM »
The bigger lakers usually do not chase. They will scoop up bait sitting there suspended, or on the bottom.

my 16lber came on a tip up over some deeeep water on the edge of a sunken island.

How deep are you running your bait for lakers in deeper water? Say 40-60 foot, what would you be running the minnow at?
Loving the Adirondacks.

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4457 on: Jan 20, 2015, 07:45 PM »

I'm goin to Scotties tonight ... fresh salmon and venison ...

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4458 on: Jan 20, 2015, 07:49 PM »
How deep are you running your bait for lakers in deeper water? Say 40-60 foot, what would you be running the minnow at?

Well, I caught it when I was 15. I am 28 now. Actually caught 3 that day over 10lbs. Biggest was 16, followed by a 14, then a 11lber.

All caught the same way, and all caught within the last 2 hours before dark. The 16 and 14 were caught at the same time. 2 tip up's, side by side. Went off at the same time.

we were over 110-120ft of water. Had icicles on. 6lb, 48" mono leaders. Tiny treble hooks....we had the bait about 30-40ft down...we were on the edge of a chain of sunken grass islands that comes up to 20' deep....The guys that REALLY know the king should know exactly where I am talking about.

Offline ADK11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4459 on: Jan 20, 2015, 07:51 PM »
Well, I caught it when I was 15. I am 28 now. Actually caught 3 that day over 10lbs. Biggest was 16, followed by a 14, then a 11lber.

All caught the same way, and all caught within the last 2 hours before dark. The 16 and 14 were caught at the same time. 2 tip up's, side by side. Went off at the same time.

we were over 110-120ft of water. Had icicles on. 6lb, 48" mono leaders. Tiny treble hooks....we had the bait about 30-40ft down...we were on the edge of a chain of sunken grass islands that comes up to 20' deep....The guys that REALLY know the king should know exactly where I am talking about.

:o that sounds like finding a needle in a hay stack
Loving the Adirondacks.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4460 on: Jan 20, 2015, 08:02 PM »
I havent fished that spot, since that day....

The 16lber is on my wall. The 14 went back in the lake, and the 11 came home for dinner.

If I was to catch a big one today, I would have a replica mount made...

Offline ADK11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4461 on: Jan 20, 2015, 08:05 PM »
You guys did hella good that day or something lol. Might be heading down that way tomorrow morning not too sure yet. Vets or harris bay? I have no idea what to even expect on either place or if there is better places froze over.
Loving the Adirondacks.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4462 on: Jan 20, 2015, 08:09 PM »
You guys did hella good that day or something lol. Might be heading down that way tomorrow morning not too sure yet. Vets or harris bay? I have no idea what to even expect on either place or if there is better places froze over.

We were near no bay. Middle of the big lake.

Never fished Harris. Only fished vets once.

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4463 on: Jan 20, 2015, 09:36 PM »
I know for a fact that a 36 3/4" will chase ... ask "Ship of Fools" ... pic to prove it ...

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4464 on: Jan 20, 2015, 09:45 PM »
I know for a fact that a 36 3/4" will chase ... ask "Ship of Fools" ... pic to prove it ...

they will.

But the majority wont.

JJ

« Reply #4465 on: Jan 20, 2015, 10:17 PM »
Lake trout are predators, they hunt other fish down, that's why they have that big mouth.

And a big tail to propel themselves, that's why the bigger ones make long runs when hooked.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4466 on: Jan 21, 2015, 05:06 AM »
I havent fished that spot, since that day....

The 16lber is on my wall. The 14 went back in the lake, and the 11 came home for dinner.

If I was to catch a big one today, I would have a replica mount made...

How about a pic of that one on your wall?  I need some motivation!

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4467 on: Jan 21, 2015, 05:21 AM »
I've wondered when I get a mark that seems to sluggishly chase my bait if it is a bigger fish.  My biggest fish last winter 27", hit my pimple after it chased up and down the water column twice then when I gave up and just dangled it for a few seconds it hit.

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #4468 on: Jan 21, 2015, 05:31 AM »

Sounds like the spot where I iced 50 two winters ago in 5 hours jigging lol.
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4469 on: Jan 21, 2015, 06:13 AM »

I have heard of fish growing as the tale was told but never shrinking ...... it was 37"   ;D

Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.