New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346719 times)

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #3990 on: Mar 28, 2014, 04:53 PM »
Yeah i gotta get out tomorrow and try my new to me 6" Nils. Not a chip of paint off it...looks brand new  ;D

Fishmon

« Reply #3991 on: Mar 29, 2014, 07:06 AM »
Yeah i gotta get out tomorrow and try my new to me 6" Nils. Not a chip of paint off it...looks brand new  ;D

Just remember three things:

1.  Let the auger do the work - needs no down pressure; just rotate.
2.  Don't let friends use it, they will try to use it like a sledge hammer and bend a blade.
3.  Put cover on when not in use.  They are razor sharp and will cut anything near it if you are not careful.

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #3992 on: Mar 29, 2014, 07:34 AM »
ice is fine the shore seems stable fished for a couple of hours this am 2 trout one 25 and one 22.and all the smelt you want. :icefish:

Yeah but the ticket for all them smelt gets costly
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline adktony

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3993 on: Mar 29, 2014, 03:18 PM »
Just remember three things:

1.  Let the auger do the work - needs no down pressure; just rotate.
2.  Don't let friends use it, they will try to use it like a sledge hammer and bend a blade.
3.  Put cover on when not in use.  They are razor sharp and will cut anything near it if you are not careful.
Agreed. Some people don't realize how delicate blades can be. But I still do let some friends whom I trust not to smash it use it l. I just gotta add 1 thing. Just try not smiling while ripping through 2 ft of ice it's almost to easy with my 6 in nils have beat many power augers through the ice with it

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3994 on: Mar 29, 2014, 04:48 PM »
Agreed. Some people don't realize how delicate blades can be. But I still do let some friends whom I trust not to smash it use it l. I just gotta add 1 thing. Just try not smiling while ripping through 2 ft of ice it's almost to easy with my 6 in nils have beat many power augers through the ice with it
I trust my buds...they know better than to set it down hard. Not a bit of down pressure and by the way the Tanaka power head  does all the work  ;D
Had it out this morning, works great. The lakers I caught today were the smallest ones I've caught all year. Figures...get a bigger auger and catch smaller fish  ::)
Drilled one hole by hand before I put it on the Tanaka and it was almost as easy as my 4" lazer.

Fishmon

« Reply #3995 on: Mar 29, 2014, 06:17 PM »
I trust my buds...they know better than to set it down hard. Not a bit of down pressure and by the way the Tanaka power head  does all the work  ;D
Had it out this morning, works great. The lakers I caught today were the smallest ones I've caught all year. Figures...get a bigger auger and catch smaller fish  ::)
Drilled one hole by hand before I put it on the Tanaka and it was almost as easy as my 4" lazer.

I beat a guy today with my 8 inch Nils vs. his power auger.  To be honest, I think his power auger blades were dull, but you should have seen the look on his face.  Ice was 28 inches  thick.

Offline NewIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3996 on: Mar 29, 2014, 06:46 PM »
Fished out of Hague today for the first time. I usually go out of Vets. Plenty of ice with about one half to an inch of water on it. Caught one nice laker and a few big perch. When you drill a hole the water runs off the surface down the hole. A few thousand holes and we can drain all of the surface water off. haha.

Offline Lakerluver12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3997 on: Mar 29, 2014, 07:58 PM »
Hague has been deserted by fishermen for a few weeks now.   There is still ice and fish.   We got a mess of perch and a Laker this morning.  45 fow with fly rigs- 2 size 14 nymphs one grub on each and a 1 oz sinker on the bottom.  There is not much hesitation on the perch's part when they see something that small even if the barometer is off.  Once the perch are worked up, a Laker inevitably crashes the party.  In the past 6 weeks we have cut up over 800 perch and 11 lakers.  Come on up!  there is still plenty of ice and plenty of parking! Who knows when it will freeze again.

Love that Laker jigging!

Offline Berkley4life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3998 on: Mar 30, 2014, 08:59 AM »
Id prefer the north end just the way it is!  no crowds

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
« Reply #3999 on: Mar 30, 2014, 04:50 PM »

Agreed!

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #4000 on: Mar 30, 2014, 05:34 PM »
               There are lots of places to fish in the south that doesn't get crowded, you just have to know where they are, and you have to keep them to yourself. I have fished up north as well, it's a good place to fish.

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4001 on: Mar 30, 2014, 06:20 PM »
I didn't see any crowds out there today.  ;)

Fishing was a bit slow, but I am thankful for anymore time spent on LG.

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #4002 on: Mar 30, 2014, 06:53 PM »
I went out on the south end and had the area to myself.    3 small lakers and a good amount of lookers.   The edges near the rocks was getting sketchy and the old holes were starting to open up but the ice is not bad for the last week if March
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4003 on: Mar 30, 2014, 07:53 PM »
Where the heck was everyone today?  ???
It was weird pulling up to FAB at 9 this morning and being the only car. I put in a few hours trying to jig lakers and got blanked.
I gave up and headed to Harris for perch. Picked up just enough for the lady and I to fry tonight.

Word of caution:
There are a couple holes off Fort Ann beach where everyone likes to park. I would not pull a vehicle on that ice again this year.
I also found 5 different holes a couple hundred yards off the shore as I headed north. The smallest being about 24" and the biggest being well over 30" wide.

I don't know about the rest of you guys. But, I'm getting rope, picks, and flotation back out.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4004 on: Mar 30, 2014, 09:56 PM »
Fished Blairs Bay.  Only a couple of guys out there today.  Wind was bad, only short lakers were hitting.  Shoreline is holding up well.  At least 20" of good black ice.  If the rain stays away, next week should be okay.  There was a couple big holes opening up, but with no slush on the ice they are easy to spot.
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4005 on: Mar 31, 2014, 05:02 AM »
Im hopeing one more weekend. Would be real happy for 2. Was out Sat. and looking around thinking how much time do we have left. Only good thing about it is that i won't have to wait to long for the stripers.

Offline riverat24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4006 on: Mar 31, 2014, 06:24 AM »
Got out off Cotton point on Saturday slow 2 inches of water on the ice.  Slow a few chasers no fish.  Went into Basin and got a few dinks and 1 laker 25 inches on a sucker.  May be the way to end the season.  I'll try to post a pic later

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #4008 on: Mar 31, 2014, 07:57 AM »
Inflatable Yeti, Fontana19 and I were the only ones off Pilot Knob yesturday, and we HAMMERED the lake trout.   Drove all over on the machines.    Only problem areas on the ice were pressure ridges and old holes where the water was draining.  If you avoided them, the ice was fine.    'twas a great season...even though I couldn't  break 300 lakers, I did get 272.   Not bad for missing the first two weekends on the king.

On to stream trout and everything else!

Offline yarn em in

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4009 on: Mar 31, 2014, 05:40 PM »
Thats an awesome season rite there! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap:

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4010 on: Mar 31, 2014, 06:25 PM »
Wow, awesome numbers BigRed, congrats Bro! Look forward to your open water adventures!

MK

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4011 on: Mar 31, 2014, 06:59 PM »
Inflatable Yeti, Fontana19 and I were the only ones off Pilot Knob yesturday, and we HAMMERED the lake trout.   Drove all over on the machines.    Only problem areas on the ice were pressure ridges and old holes where the water was draining.  If you avoided them, the ice was fine.    'twas a great season...even though I couldn't  break 300 lakers, I did get 272.   Not bad for missing the first two weekends on the king.

On to stream trout and everything else!

It was a great day out there, besides being soaked from the wheeler ride.  :laugh:

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4012 on: Mar 31, 2014, 07:02 PM »
im heading up tomorrow to try to get on huddle for the last time this season.

Then time to break out the Champion and get ready for open water.

Offline campbellmt

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NY
« Reply #4013 on: Apr 02, 2014, 07:27 PM »
Does anyone know how the ice is at huletts landing this week?
NY - Addicted to Ice!

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4014 on: Apr 02, 2014, 08:07 PM »
It was a great seAson!  I hit Schroon early like I will next season and the "King" for the rest, I targeted Lake Trout 98% of the time. 

Pro tip from a noob:  (I started ice fishing in feb 2013). Buy a vex and maybe a power auger if the ice is over 12". Shanty's are great but not needed,  and last winter was windy.. Like North Dakota windy! Aaand perch rigs can catch lots of lakers. First ice was more fun!

Nice to meet some and see ya all next season. 

Offline Fidlerontheice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4015 on: Apr 03, 2014, 05:13 AM »
How are the shorelines looking. Hoping one last trip this weekend. Hopefully out of bixby or huddle I assume with the bubblers around vets the shores are shot any updates are greatly appreciated thanks.
!!FLAG!!

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4016 on: Apr 04, 2014, 09:28 AM »
Any info on access points. Going in the am to see but advance notice would be nice.
Thank you

Offline catchnofishthisisfun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4017 on: Apr 04, 2014, 09:34 AM »
Bring ur floaties
"One fish. Two fish. Red fish. Blue fish. Black fish. Blue fish. Old fish. New fish. This one has a little star. This one has a little car. Say! What a lot of fish there are."  Dr. Seuss

Offline Berkley4life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4018 on: Apr 04, 2014, 04:51 PM »
Got a late start this morning.  Didn't get on the ice until almost 9.  Drilled a few holes caught some drinks bit no keepers so I decided to move.  Walked a hundred yards or so and found a honey hole.  Unfortunetly I only had 40 mins to fish at this point.  I will be at this hole at dawn tomorrow.

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4019 on: Apr 05, 2014, 05:03 AM »
Nice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.