New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346757 times)

Offline Eagle Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • [img]http://i58tinypic.com/2n/c5jc.png[/img]
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #3780 on: Mar 11, 2014, 02:49 PM »
Hit Pilot Knob today and fished off Comfort Point getting four lakers (none over 26") on #3 perch type Rapala and #4 White Crushed Ice Swedish Pimple in only 40' of water.  What a day - little wind, plenty of sun, soft surface to walk on and plenty of room to fish.  Also gave a hand getting a shanty up on a trailer to be removed from the ice.  Just could not find any perch and I must have cut 30 holes all over the place.
One other guy got a laker out in the middle of the lake and he earned it using a hand auger to cut through the ice.  Most of the others out there didn't do much of anything.
Saw the area where the deer was felled.  I have seen the same thing happen when fishing Spier Falls.  You hear the coyotes running the deer to get them on the ice and then the deer have no traction once surrounded by the coyotes.

Eagle Ed

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3781 on: Mar 11, 2014, 04:10 PM »
Awesome day to be out. Weather was great. Crazy winds picked up at times but overall not too windy of a day. Top layer of the ice is slushed up with standing water in pockets all over the lake. We managed 15 lakers.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3782 on: Mar 11, 2014, 04:11 PM »
yeah I am jelous you guys got out. Me and my dad were thinking about heading up but I ended up with this bad migrane and needed to pick my son up from daycare at 5. Thinking about going out tomorrow morning for half a day during the storm. We will see. Super nice day today tho.

Offline catchnofishthisisfun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3783 on: Mar 11, 2014, 04:20 PM »
Does anyone know of any end of the season sales on vexilars? If so, does anyone have any particular recommendations on which vex model to get? Not looking for top of the line with whistles and bells... just want to see fish and achieve lake trout/perch.
"One fish. Two fish. Red fish. Blue fish. Black fish. Blue fish. Old fish. New fish. This one has a little star. This one has a little car. Say! What a lot of fish there are."  Dr. Seuss

Offline Fidlerontheice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3784 on: Mar 11, 2014, 04:27 PM »
I would look for one with bottom zoom its an awesome feature to have. Marcum has the vx-1p which is around 300 :o at dicks has bottom zoom good down to 160. Down fall is the wide beam it puts out. In deep water.
!!FLAG!!

Offline lakerdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3785 on: Mar 11, 2014, 06:56 PM »
I got an fl-20 on black Friday for 420. Works really good . All my buddies have fl-12 's  and they catch about the same amount .

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3786 on: Mar 11, 2014, 07:00 PM »
I have the FL-20 also with dual beam. It's a nice feature to be able to switch between 9 and 19 degrees for deep and shallow applications respectively. I also have two older FL-18's also with dual beam with the only difference being a flat and larger screen -vs- the recessed screen. Both are plenty adequate for anything you'll encounter on LG.

Mike

Offline ice tripper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ice tripping all over the capital region for 30yrs
« Reply #3787 on: Mar 11, 2014, 07:02 PM »
Awesome day to be out. Weather was great. Crazy winds picked up at times but overall not too windy of a day. Top layer of the ice is slushed up with standing water in pockets all over the lake. We managed 15 lakers.
Yeah it was an awesome day.great day to explore  ;)2 ;)2.really glad that you and Nick were able to catch some lakers.man that wind in the afternoon was something else.went 6 for 7 with the lakers . pressure ridges were starting to open up on the way in . Crossed one that was about 1 foot n half wide.just east of dome.

Offline Barebow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always fishing for something!
« Reply #3788 on: Mar 11, 2014, 07:50 PM »
The ciscoes I have caught were schooling in about 65 ft. of water, dropped small Hopkins shorty with emerald green reflective tape on side, and caught 3 about 18 inches each from the school...I took them home and ate them, flesh like salmon with lots of very fine bones...tasted good too.  Barebow

Offline ice88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3789 on: Mar 11, 2014, 08:33 PM »
I hope the snow hold off but it look like we r going to get hammer with it

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3790 on: Mar 11, 2014, 09:09 PM »
I hope the snow hold off but it look like we r going to get hammer with it

its going to be 46 saturday...the majority will melt, and the stuff that doesnt will solid up saturday night. Sunday is a high of 35.

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3791 on: Mar 11, 2014, 09:20 PM »
Hit Pilot Knob today and fished off Comfort Point getting four lakers (none over 26") on #3 perch type Rapala and #4 White Crushed Ice Swedish Pimple in only 40' of water.  What a day - little wind, plenty of sun, soft surface to walk on and plenty of room to fish.  Also gave a hand getting a shanty up on a trailer to be removed from the ice.  Just could not find any perch and I must have cut 30 holes all over the place.
One other guy got a laker out in the middle of the lake and he earned it using a hand auger to cut through the ice.  Most of the others out there didn't do much of anything.
Saw the area where the deer was felled.  I have seen the same thing happen when fishing Spier Falls.  You hear the coyotes running the deer to get them on the ice and then the deer have no traction once surrounded by the coyotes.

Eagle Ed
Do you use a vex or marcum?  Were you marking many other Lakers.  That area was the Dead Sea on Sunday.

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3792 on: Mar 11, 2014, 09:22 PM »
out on the lake yesterday.there were smelt ciscos perch and big trout.not big numbers but all good fish.they were full of small fry of some sort.all fish 23 to 30. :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Let's see that 30"!

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3793 on: Mar 11, 2014, 09:29 PM »

Offline collarcity

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3794 on: Mar 11, 2014, 09:40 PM »
on the subject of hooking yourself... I managed to stick a #6 treble in my thumb up to the bend fishing at round this earlier this season. Of course I was getting ready to set the last tip up after pulling the sled across the lake in 2 feet of snow  >:( The point was under my nail and I couldn't force it out with pliers so I thought I was headed for the hospital eventually. Luckily my dad had a nifty trick that worked wonders. He cut off about a foot of tip up line and wrapped it around both his index fingers like dental floss and slipped it around the bend of the hook that was stuck in my finger and had me press down on the other 2 hooks while he yanked on the line. I could not believe how easily and painlessly that hook popped out of my finger. I'm guessing he read it in tap's tips in field & stream or something similar. I now have 2 ready made rigs with finger loops in my ice gear, one with tip up line and one with duck decoy cord. Hopefully I don't get the chance to find out which one works better haha.
-Steve

Offline perchinmybucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3795 on: Mar 11, 2014, 11:34 PM »
Went out of vets with the wheeler saturday and monday. Pretty slow laker bite in the morning but it seemed to pick up in the afternoon. Had spurts of feeding fish. Most fish were over 23". My buddy money got one 28.5". Was fishing 12-50 FOW. Must have marked 40 fish saturday. They were all chasing but werent being aggressive.

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3796 on: Mar 12, 2014, 05:12 AM »
^^Slabber!^^

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3797 on: Mar 12, 2014, 06:12 AM »
On the subject of hooking yourself.  I managed to bury a heavy duty 1/0 treble in my thumb one year.  And the lure had a 10# striper thrashing around on the other end.  It was 10pm at night and they were biting.  I couldn't push it through so I cut it off fairly close with my Manley pliers.  Fished all night, drove home (from Martha's Vineyard) the next day and stopped by the Urgent Care in Malta to get it out.  Once the Novacaine went in it was no problem to push it on through, grab the tip and pull it out.  And I got my 10 year tetanus shot, too!

Offline catchnofishthisisfun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3798 on: Mar 12, 2014, 06:29 AM »
Thanks guys for the VEX info!
"One fish. Two fish. Red fish. Blue fish. Black fish. Blue fish. Old fish. New fish. This one has a little star. This one has a little car. Say! What a lot of fish there are."  Dr. Seuss

Offline lakerdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3799 on: Mar 12, 2014, 06:54 AM »
Nice pics.  That ones is a beast

Offline Fidlerontheice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3800 on: Mar 12, 2014, 07:20 AM »
!!FLAG!!

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3801 on: Mar 12, 2014, 07:31 AM »
thats a nice laker!

My guess is, in the next few weeks we will see alot more big lakers show up. Its that time of year where they get super aggressive and hit anything you throw at them.

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3802 on: Mar 12, 2014, 07:37 AM »
Great fish guys! Congrats!

MK

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #3803 on: Mar 12, 2014, 08:30 AM »
On the subject of hooking yourself.  I managed to bury a heavy duty 1/0 treble in my thumb one year.  And the lure had a 10# striper thrashing around on the other end.  It was 10pm at night and they were biting.  I couldn't push it through so I cut it off fairly close with my Manley pliers.  Fished all night, drove home (from Martha's Vineyard) the next day and stopped by the Urgent Care in Malta to get it out.  One the Novacaine went in it was no problem to push it on through, grab the tip and pull it out.  And I got my 10 year tetanus shot, too!

HAHA Had something very similar happened when I lived in the vineyard, some crazy stuff happens when fishing them at night, but god is the fishing graeat
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3804 on: Mar 12, 2014, 08:35 AM »
its going to be 46 saturday...the majority will melt, and the stuff that doesnt will solid up saturday night. Sunday is a high of 35.
Will take more than a day 40-45 degrees to melt a foot of snow. It will already be wet snow so it won't pack down like fluffy snow does. I honestly think it will be back to the same slop conditions that we had 2-3 weeks ago. Definitely will have slush on the ice under the snow. Towing our sleds yesterday and they were completely covered with water and slush.

Offline Eagle Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • [img]http://i58tinypic.com/2n/c5jc.png[/img]
« Reply #3805 on: Mar 12, 2014, 08:51 AM »
Do you use a vex or marcum?  Were you marking many other Lakers.  That area was the Dead Sea on Sunday.

I don't use any electronics - just keep drilling holes until I get into them.

Eagle Ed

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3806 on: Mar 12, 2014, 12:10 PM »
MODS PLEASE CHANGE THREAD TITLE TO:  LOOK WHAT I PUT THOUGH MY HAND/BODY    LOL

So one Salmon confirmed in LG this year?  Maybe DEC should stock King Salmon to eat hammer handle Lakers ;D

I really wanted to notch a LL in my belt this year. 

::Heads to Schroon::

Offline TC5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3807 on: Mar 12, 2014, 12:13 PM »
go to scroon lots of salmon. :)

Offline Berkley4life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3808 on: Mar 12, 2014, 03:46 PM »
NLG 3/11/14

Offline ice tripper