New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346813 times)

Offline Eaglecrg

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #3150 on: Feb 10, 2014, 07:52 AM »

What I am getting at is, there is no number 1 system.Everyone has thier own spin on things.What works for me might not work for Perchslyr or vice versa.What you have the most confidence in is what you are going to use the most.You will never catch the big ones if your gear is not in the water.Drill alot of holes and spend as much time out there as possible.

X2.  This is a truism verified by reading the varied responses on many threads on this site.  The only drawback to using tip ups is that they reduce your mobility if you need to move.  I know in my case, once the tip ups are in, I'm not moving.  If I want to move, I don't put in tip ups.  The other piece of advice that I think is worthy of note is that a location that is hot one day may not produce anything the next.  I find Lake Trout to be much like walleye in that they can turn on and off quickly.  It also strikes me that this year in particular, a lot of lakers are being caught on pretty small offerings.

Offline Slob slammer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Yeah you can't get there from here. Sorry
« Reply #3151 on: Feb 10, 2014, 07:52 AM »
Thanks bird for the advice.  With some of the pm's I received you would of thought that I asked for someone's first born.   I see what some people meen when they post about rude " this is my spot find your own " people on here atleast some seem cool and willing to help out    I wasn't asking for your private access just somewhere away from the crowds.   
Fish like to eat so try to feed them

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3152 on: Feb 10, 2014, 08:05 AM »
agreed but a watched pot never boils and when I set tipups I find myself watching them more than I watch my flasher...
Yep!
I may have decent luck putting keepers on the ice. But yesterday produced one fish in 5 hours.
My only mission was to hook up the 'ol lady and it worked, but it was FAR from productive with only 5 in the water.
In those depths I set my tipups using my flasher saving me some time from the old sounder method. In 100-125 fow it still takes me close to 1/2 hour. I'm easily distracted  ::) ;D
In those 5 hours I could have covered a lot more water if I stuck to jigging. And I probably would have tripled my catch according to how I usually do. 3  Or... Maybe more like 2.  :P ;D
Now... another curveball I've noticed. I've caught a few really nice trout on Schroon and LG this year using small perch pimples.
Mostly keepers now that I think of it. The constant smaller throw backs are happening on the big stuff that Tony keeps selling me on.  ;D Granted, everything last one has been productive. I just can't help but notice my bigger fish jigging are hitting the smaller jigs.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline baitbox

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3153 on: Feb 10, 2014, 08:22 AM »
Yep!
I may have decent luck putting keepers on the ice. But yesterday produced one fish in 5 hours.
My only mission was to hook up the 'ol lady and it worked, but it was FAR from productive with only 5 in the water.
In those depths I set my tipups using my flasher saving me some time from the old sounder method. In 100-125 fow it still takes me close to 1/2 hour. I'm easily distracted  ::) ;D
In those 5 hours I could have covered a lot more water if I stuck to jigging. And I probably would have tripled my catch according to how I usually do. 3  Or... Maybe more like 2.  :P ;D
Now... another curveball I've noticed. I've caught a few really nice trout on Schroon and LG this year using small perch pimples.
Mostly keepers now that I think of it. The constant smaller throw backs are happening on the big stuff that Tony keeps selling me on.  ;D Granted, everything last one has been productive. I just can't help but notice my bigger fish jigging are hitting the smaller jigs.
Ok Jamey let me ask you this?Do you think that the smaller presentations are working on the bigger fish because that is what the forage they are chasing resembles OR is it because these fish are in areas of high pressure and are a tad hook shy?
 For me larger jigs are better for the 23" and up fish.I however go out of my way to be on "fresh" fish.I don't like to be on other peoples left overs.I am in no way questioning what you are doing Jamey just curious on your thoughts or anyone elses.

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #3154 on: Feb 10, 2014, 08:25 AM »
My biggest have came on small walleye lures.    I down sized and got some more of the less aggressive fish to bite.     Baitbox.     I think it's because of the high pressure areas and they see the same big lures constantly.   
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3155 on: Feb 10, 2014, 08:40 AM »
Ok Jamey let me ask you this?Do you think that the smaller presentations are working on the bigger fish because that is what the forage they are chasing resembles OR is it because these fish are in areas of high pressure and are a tad hook shy?
 For me larger jigs are better for the 23" and up fish.I however go out of my way to be on "fresh" fish.I don't like to be on other peoples left overs.I am in no way questioning what you are doing Jamey just curious on your thoughts or anyone elses.
You guys are 110% right.
I'm a walker and often tied to the areas getting pounded on day in and out. I'm always fishing with the kids or women too and need to keep the trek minimal.  Which is probably why the dead bait on bottom is producing better for me. If they stare at an easy meal long enough, they'll eat it.
Same with my jigging. I put the dang tipups out and jig the same general area. Make my rounds with anything big and white and lucky to get a couple shorts. Make the same round with the UL and small chrome pimple and I'll get a good one... Sometimes.  ;D
You can question me all you want man. I know who's putting up the bruisers on that lake.
Typing this stuff out like this it helps me realize what I'm doing right and wrong. And might help a few others.
I gotta get a solo trip or 2 in to cover some new water for sure.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #3156 on: Feb 10, 2014, 08:50 AM »
Thanks bird for the advice.  With some of the pm's I received you would of thought that I asked for someone's first born.   I see what some people meen when they post about rude " this is my spot find your own " people on here atleast some seem cool and willing to help out    I wasn't asking for your private access just somewhere away from the crowds.   
             The problem is, access points are becoming fewer & fewer because there are some pigs out there, that leave garbage all over. I remember signing a pledge here on the Shanty to take home what I bring and pick up after others, which I do. There a lot of good places to fish with no close access points, either you have to walk, which I have done for years, then I got a 4 wheeler to get to some of them, it not always easy with deep snow but generally it will blow off and you can get around. I've fishing LG for 37+ years and have a lot of favorite spots, that I have found on my own. I have taken people to some of these ares and I expect the courtesy of them not to go back to that spot with 1/2 dozen other fishermen. Some have broken that trust and I won't ever show them a spot again. That's why people don't like to tell about their spots. I have a lot of time effort a money to get to these spots, isn't that part of fishing search and reward yourself with a great spot that no one else knows about. I don't own it, but I don't have to give it up either. Good luck with your search! ???

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #3157 on: Feb 10, 2014, 08:56 AM »
You guys are 110% right.
I'm a walker and often tied to the areas getting pounded on day in and out. I'm always fishing with the kids or women too and need to keep the trek minimal.  Which is probably why the dead bait on bottom is producing better for me. If they stare at an easy meal long enough, they'll eat it.
Same with my jigging. I put the dang tipups out and jig the same general area. Make my rounds with anything big and white and lucky to get a couple shorts. Make the same round with the UL and small chrome pimple and I'll get a good one... Sometimes.  ;D
You can question me all you want man. I know who's putting up the bruisers on that lake.
Typing this stuff out like this it helps me realize what I'm doing right and wrong. And might help a few others.
I gotta get a solo trip or 2 in to cover some new water for sure.
             Lake Trout in general are lazy, the don't want to exert any more energy than they have to, so a dead bait on the bottom is a good way to get them. I've seen you out with your kids and your a good father, you have to help them get their tip-ups in and picked up, that's a lot of work. I don't mind setting up, but the pick up on cold windy days is a task that I dread. Hats off to you for doing it.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3158 on: Feb 10, 2014, 09:43 AM »
             The problem is, access points are becoming fewer & fewer because there are some pigs out there, that leave garbage all over. I remember signing a pledge here on the Shanty to take home what I bring and pick up after others, which I do. There a lot of good places to fish with no close access points, either you have to walk, which I have done for years, then I got a 4 wheeler to get to some of them, it not always easy with deep snow but generally it will blow off and you can get around. I've fishing LG for 37+ years and have a lot of favorite spots, that I have found on my own. I have taken people to some of these ares and I expect the courtesy of them not to go back to that spot with 1/2 dozen other fishermen. Some have broken that trust and I won't ever show them a spot again. That's why people don't like to tell about their spots. I have a lot of time effort a money to get to these spots, isn't that part of fishing search and reward yourself with a great spot that no one else knows about. I don't own it, but I don't have to give it up either. Good luck with your search! ???

Here is my take on a losing battle, the Internet killed all the good fishing.
A site that gets 10's of thousands hits a day, yes I think IS hit 30,000 in 1 day invites people to the areas. When folks say they are catching enormous numbers of fish from a water body it invites the masses. Some good some bad but if for a minute anyone thinks people are not drawn to the numbers they are only fooling themselves. There are only so few public access points and once machines show up its cut in half.
It makes me eager to get out there reading those impressive catches but I look for the less crowded areas despite numbers and as always happy with 1 but getting skunked is always part of fishing for me.
It's only natural that folks wish to share their great days with the public but numbers invite numbers and the issues that preclude. Great tourism but sore eye for all from the antics of a few( trash, trespass etc)
The biggest most helpful thing from public forms is conditions .
I'd like to know , ice thickness ,snow, caution spots, parking problems and of course a pic of a fish or two, not how many you caught.
Obviously this is just my position on access problems for popular waters , just throwing it out as food for thought.
Heck back in the day you had to spend time in the local pubs to find out the ole' timers honey holes and even then they could just be goose chase they sent you on. Now, it's just a click away .
Have fun and good fishing:
Peace & Tuna

Offline eyesfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3159 on: Feb 10, 2014, 09:51 AM »
Perch bite was good today. Until the lakers moved in. They broke my line twice and got most of my good perch jigs. >:(

Please tell me where you had this happen!
I spent hours driving yesterday on my trip to Lake George and didn't even get a bite! 10 tipups and 2 people jigging in about 30-40 FOW off Vets. What. is the trick?!
Get the flag!

Offline 1.21jiggawop

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3160 on: Feb 10, 2014, 10:23 AM »
I would consider myself a lurker here on IS...don't get a chance to fish the adks to much living in NNJ but reading your posts certainly helps fill the void when I am not out living the adk dream... Have to thank a few of you local guys who offer meaningful info esp. Ice wanderer Jager meal worm and many others you guys are great fishermen... You guys don't have to worry about putting stuff on a public forum and have people use that info to go out and plunder the lake.  Everybody knows its a wonderful lake and phenomenal fishery... Not an easy nut to crack even with extra Intel... Reality is fishing is more and more popular which puts more pressure on the fish.  I digress, that being said fished for lakers Sat and Sun... Guess you would call it cotton point...most of my energy spent on setting my two kids up...put some time in jigging...few slams lost one that was on but sorry to say didn't land one...my guys managed five each in two days biggest 23".  Weather was great...my hosts were amazing and tolerant of my teenage boys...  Also had a chance to visit with JJ from rod Benders...always interesting fish chat with JJ... You didn't miss much Sun JJ...pretty slow bite...Mike Jager's tip seemed to be the go to for us...4" kiteck was getting a lot of follows...only a few takers... Will try and share some pics

Offline shakedownstreet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3161 on: Feb 10, 2014, 10:24 AM »
I think the trick is getting them to bite. I'm sorry. .. that was pretty lame. I just couldn't help myself.  On a serious note,  that is too bad to put all kinds of work money time etc... and come home empty handed. I have been there and it never feels good. It also doesn't feel too good to hear and see everyone else catching but that's life. I fished a small local lake 3 or 4 times and just about got a hit or two and that's it. One day I hooked up with a buddy who showed me a little bit more than I knew and I tried a few different things...including a different spot on the lake. Then, I got into them and regained my confidence as an ice fisherman. Now.. I haven't been skunked there yet. Haven't always pounded them but I usually catch some at least. If I get discouraged nowadays I just remind myself that my time is gonna come.  I'm sure yours will too.
"Talk about your plenty, talk about your ills,
One man gathers what another man spills."

Offline 1.21jiggawop

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3162 on: Feb 10, 2014, 10:29 AM »

Offline dollartrifecta

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3163 on: Feb 10, 2014, 10:31 AM »
Anyone fishing katskill bay?  Wondering ice conditions

Offline Eagle Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • [img]http://i58tinypic.com/2n/c5jc.png[/img]
« Reply #3165 on: Feb 10, 2014, 12:11 PM »
Always great to see the younger ones getting fish - nice video.  Great Youth Days on Moreau Lake and more volunteers would help.  Eagle Crag and I will be giving Lake George a try tomorrow for perch/lakers.  Had some luck at Pilot Knob, but will probably try a different location tomorrow.  At our age we need to move around a lot so no one gets a good shot at us.  Really got spoiled Feb. 4th on Lake George with no wind (a rare occasion), plenty of sun, some fish, 10-12" of ice with no snow, no snowmobiles/four wheelers and beautiful surroundings.  Best of all plenty of nice people on the ice and no garbage on the ice or in the parking area.

Eagle Ed

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #3166 on: Feb 10, 2014, 01:37 PM »

Great video of your son catching a Laker, always fun to watch. :clap:

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #3167 on: Feb 10, 2014, 01:52 PM »
Here is my take on a losing battle, the Internet killed all the good fishing.
A site that gets 10's of thousands hits a day, yes I think IS hit 30,000 in 1 day invites people to the areas. When folks say they are catching enormous numbers of fish from a water body it invites the masses. Some good some bad but if for a minute anyone thinks people are not drawn to the numbers they are only fooling themselves. There are only so few public access points and once machines show up its cut in half.
It makes me eager to get out there reading those impressive catches but I look for the less crowded areas despite numbers and as always happy with 1 but getting skunked is always part of fishing for me.
It's only natural that folks wish to share their great days with the public but numbers invite numbers and the issues that preclude. Great tourism but sore eye for all from the antics of a few( trash, trespass etc)
The biggest most helpful thing from public forms is conditions .
I'd like to know , ice thickness ,snow, caution spots, parking problems and of course a pic of a fish or two, not how many you caught.
Obviously this is just my position on access problems for popular waters , just throwing it out as food for thought.
Heck back in the day you had to spend time in the local pubs to find out the ole' timers honey holes and even then they could just be goose chase they sent you on. Now, it's just a click away .
Have fun and good fishing:
Peace & Tuna
             Even before the internet and Ice Shanty, people would follow the ones who would come in with fish and big fish. People want to catch fish and not work for them. Guys on here admit that they don't want to take the drive to find bad conditions. There are a few of us that every late Nov. early Dec. put hundreds or thousands of miles on their vehicles to find early ice, get on and catch fish, sure we want to tell everyone what they are missing but doesn't mean we have to tell them the lake or spot. Like I said before it's part of fishing to find your spot and keep it.
            LG is a big lake and there are Lakers every where, some of the biggest are in places most won't go, they are too lazy. Good luck to all that are after big fish, remember you have to work for what you want to get, or is that the problem, like the occupy Wall Street generation, they want it handed to them.

Offline icedpapermouth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3168 on: Feb 10, 2014, 02:10 PM »
Good posts Tuna and Wanderer. I have been burned before on here, and I have been helped. Personally, I haven't once yet gone to anyones spot even though I have seen many on this site, I prefer to find my own through research... it's part of an important learning curve and I find it more rewarding.

I do enjoy helping people out greatly, but I choose to do it in person when I know the person. Information posted here is available to all kinds of people, some of whom I probably would not care to inform.

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3169 on: Feb 10, 2014, 02:52 PM »
All you need to spot steal is a good spotting scope and a few days off during the week... Just saying. 

I have a feeling everyone will get their fill this season.

I think it's second nature to defend "your spot".   During deer season all I can think about on my drive to my spot is whether or not sombody else best me to the parking lot, and for some reason I get upset when someone does best me there.. I'm not sure why I hunt roughly 17,000 acres in Knapp Estate.. I've said too much. Leave my buck alone.  Errrrr. 
Cheer up everyone I ate some delicious perch on Saturday night, and I can't wait to get some more.  Hopefully fifty for everyone I go with!

Offline mazdaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3170 on: Feb 10, 2014, 04:11 PM »

LG is a big lake and there are Lakers every where, some of the biggest are in places most won't go, they are too lazy. Good luck to all that are after big fish, remember you have to work for what you want to get, or is that the problem, like the occupy Wall Street generation, they want it handed to them.

:clap:
Right on!!!  Right on!!

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #3171 on: Feb 10, 2014, 04:22 PM »
I'm glad the internet killed all the good fishing   Hmmm.  Sound. Like someone's not having a good fishing season.       People kill good fishing and access areas      Just because I park somewhere doesn't give everyone the right to park there even if you got some cold dolphin.    :o
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline Slob slammer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Yeah you can't get there from here. Sorry
« Reply #3172 on: Feb 10, 2014, 04:29 PM »
Cold dolphin?    Is that the "New Secret Lure" for the lake this year?   
Fish like to eat so try to feed them

Offline fishnfool59

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3173 on: Feb 10, 2014, 04:33 PM »
hit lake george with tc-5 today.tc got 4 lakers one nice 24 incher. marked quite a few but most were tite lipped.still a great day out!
help protect and keep our great outdoors clean!

JJ

« Reply #3174 on: Feb 10, 2014, 04:47 PM »
I think the trick is getting them to bite. I'm sorry. .. that was pretty lame. I just couldn't help myself.  On a serious note,  that is too bad to put all kinds of work money time etc... and come home empty handed. I have been there and it never feels good. It also doesn't feel too good to hear and see everyone else catching but that's life. I fished a small local lake 3 or 4 times and just about got a hit or two and that's it. One day I hooked up with a buddy who showed me a little bit more than I knew and I tried a few different things...including a different spot on the lake. Then, I got into them and regained my confidence as an ice fisherman. Now.. I haven't been skunked there yet. Haven't always pounded them but I usually catch some at least. If I get discouraged nowadays I just remind myself that my time is gonna come.  I'm sure yours will too.

Nice to see you and the boys this weekend Pete, the boys outdid the men for sure. Wanted to get out on Sunday, but needed to catch up on some rest after a couple busy days; sounds like I didn't miss much.

Offline Eagle Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • [img]http://i58tinypic.com/2n/c5jc.png[/img]
« Reply #3175 on: Feb 10, 2014, 04:47 PM »
How about some cold Sam Adams Winter Fest??

Eagle Ed

JJ

« Reply #3176 on: Feb 10, 2014, 04:49 PM »
I don't see where the internet has hurt anything on LG, seems like more people were fishing there 10 years ago. Still plenty of fish to be caught, all year round.  @)

Offline 5watchman5

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whose idea was this anyway?
« Reply #3177 on: Feb 10, 2014, 04:58 PM »
If you want big Lakers, just fish where they live.  We all know every part of this lake produces, however some areas produce more consistently than others.  Nice to finally meet Jager61 and Felix today.  Both top notch fellows!

Offline jon ny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3178 on: Feb 10, 2014, 05:16 PM »
I've tried helping in the past.  No more.  You'd think saying went out of Vets, Hearthstone, MDB, or wherever would be good enough but too many people want it all.  Burned for the last time the other day.  Nothing like finding a spot, only to find an open invite to fish it later on.  I knew better, my fault.  It's ok, he probably still only caught a few and will be back with his fool soon enough.  Caught a buttload this year and I used real math.
I love clipboard man

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3179 on: Feb 10, 2014, 05:19 PM »
I'm glad the internet killed all the good fishing   Hmmm.  Sound. Like someone's not having a good fishing season.       People kill good fishing and access areas      Just because I park somewhere doesn't give everyone the right to park there even if you got some cold dolphin.    :o

We it certainly isn't me. Been fishing at least 2 and sometimes 4 days every week since 12/5/13 and loving every day.
When I say it killed the good fishing it doesn't necessarily mean the fish per say, it can also be the experience.
JJ , maybe more trollers but not icers  . I have fished many of those waters for a very long time and yes the Internet has drawn folks from afar that would never have spent the time and money to travel to such destinations if they had to find them sight unseen..
A infamous guide from the Salmon Rive once self-promoted himself on the Internet as pucker bush creek , where the fishing is great, well now it's over run with hoards and he is a has been.
Someday folks will get it and just be happy with having a great experience and catching 1.

As for miles, most all of my time and money is spent on putting huge miles every year, all year fishing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.