New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346826 times)

Offline MJB518

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #3090 on: Feb 09, 2014, 11:00 AM »
Jager - Thank You! that is absolutely the type of info that I was looking for.  That puts a perspective on what the chances are of catching a bigger fish on a jig rod are.  But by the sounds of it you don't put out any tip-ups.  This is the comparison that I was trying to get your opinions on.

CaptJJ - I don't expect to catch a 30" LT by asking questions on a computer.  30" is a goal of mine.  We all have goals.  As i have said before....I put in the time that I have available.  I have a life outside of fishing.  How in the world do you know how much time i have put on the ice?  I absolutely respect a lot of the information that you provide on all sorts of topics.  And I have taken a fair bit of your advice to others and used it to help myself become better. 

JigStick - Thank You! I previously agreed with you as far as tip-ups.  Now I am thinking i should start hauling them back out with me though. 

I just see and hear of what seems to be a good deal of people posting pictures and talking about people that are catching these larger fish and wonder if my experiences are similar to others.

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3091 on: Feb 09, 2014, 11:02 AM »
can anyone tell me if they still plow rogers rock campground to lake area ? thanks

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3092 on: Feb 09, 2014, 11:05 AM »
YOU ARE STILL THE MAN!!!!!

LOL! You must be mistaken Scott! That dubious distinction goes to the one and only Franky Troutstalker! Taught me everything I know! He's at my house today chasing pike in the back yard! Gonna hit a secret spot on WB next week!  @)

MK

Offline bluemountainlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my fish was bigger than yours
« Reply #3093 on: Feb 09, 2014, 11:18 AM »
very slow day for me today! 1 laker and that's all she wrote. maybe the aftnoon bite will be better.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3094 on: Feb 09, 2014, 11:20 AM »
MJB...

My biggest laker (40" exactly) came on a tip up on a 40' flat on the edge of 160' of water. We actually caught 3 lakers that day. All on tip up's. This was long before I even started jigging. Maybe when I was 14-15 years old, so 12 years ago. Granted, I think there was alot more big lakers in the lake back then.

Anyways, we got 3 that day, and they were all at the same time, on the 3 tip up's we had in a line on the edge of the flat. First fish, was 32". Second, was 36" and the 3rd was the 40". ...the 40" came home for the wall. Others went back. It was the biggest laker I have saw (and biggest my taxidermist has seen) and I was 15 and wanted to keep it. If it were today, it would have been a replica mount instead.

That being said, my dad to this day is still stubborn with tip up's as he is stuck in his old ways and doesnt do well jigging. I will tell you, that the last few outings with him on the king, he has smoked me on his tip up's vs me jigging, and I am jigging right next to him, while he is catching fish in the same exact water column. He is using Suckers about 5-10' off the bottom. He is out on Pilots knob right now, and he put 2 keepers on the ice before 8am. I am home with my sick 3 month old.

There is a time and place for tip up's, but I will say that when the lakers are on, your cant possibly keep up with tip up's fast enough like you can jigging, but tip up's can help on slow days.

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3095 on: Feb 09, 2014, 11:57 AM »
All this talk about lakers, do you guys need to feed the raccoons that badly? :P ;D

Offline EasternCentralNY21

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love The Great Outdoors
« Reply #3096 on: Feb 09, 2014, 11:58 AM »
i gave up on lakers wasted a bunch of time back to pike and perch. heres a tip. ive caught big pike fishing as close to frozen docks as possible, maybe 5 ft away. good luck to you laker guys. i have bigger fish in my future lol

Offline cmart28

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3097 on: Feb 09, 2014, 12:12 PM »
I nearly swore off ip ups all together, until last thursday.  Had the lake trout of my life break off at the he was easily a 15lber.  i regret how far away my gaff was, and how i didnt take that one seriously until it got near the hole, and I still lament that one.  It was the biggest trout that I had ever seen in person, and I caught and released 3 12lb lakers while trolling this fall.  Tip ups certainly have their place, nice analysis jager, Ive had similar experiences

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #3098 on: Feb 09, 2014, 12:40 PM »
I would rather use extra jig sticks for my tip ups.  Easier to pick up at the end of the day.     Ran into /met jager61 5 years ago or so and he got me jigging lakers and ever since then I leave my tip ups home unles I'm bringing a couple friends out that don't have electronics to better there chance at getting fish.    I have seen a couple fish lost at the hole this year that were in the mid 30 inch range ( have got a couple over 30 through the years) and have a 40 on the wall( not from George).  But they were on bait I jigged up
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline Slob slammer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Yeah you can't get there from here. Sorry
« Reply #3099 on: Feb 09, 2014, 12:54 PM »
I am new to ice fishing and while fishing at the north end last year my buddy's  father landed a 34 in laker   We did not wiegh the fish. The fish was caught jigging using a big Swedish pimple.    So I'm saying that some big ones can be caught on jig sticks.
Fish like to eat so try to feed them

Offline jon ny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3100 on: Feb 09, 2014, 01:19 PM »
Now why would any of us laker guys want to constantly repeat what works for us.  You ask a question that has all the answers a page or two back.  It's fishing,

Tight lines!  ;D
I love clipboard man

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3101 on: Feb 09, 2014, 01:50 PM »
Spent Thursday thru Saturday out there. Just jigging. :icefish: Managed to get a few each day . Slow bite but still love that lake.Great weekend
MAY YOUR FLAGS FLY HIGH & YOUR LINES BE TIGHT.

Offline TC5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3102 on: Feb 09, 2014, 01:52 PM »
Jigging lakers is a frame of mind.You work on different jigs of size and shape and of course culler.I all ways have white pimple Buckshot and then the R and D.Reasurch and development all ways trying something new or change something up a bite.Last year on the ice a buddy pulled out a rainbow rooster tail that he took the blade off a took a pile of lakers on it.Whoda thunk it.Thats R an D.You can read all the post you want and ask the same question over and over.To jig lakers you have to jig and jig more often.The last 5 years or so i've seen lakers taken stuff that ten years ago we wood have laughed at it not now. :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Offline pfd5623sg

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Dont eat the yellow snow... or ice... lmao
« Reply #3103 on: Feb 09, 2014, 02:45 PM »
LOL! You must be mistaken Scott! That dubious distinction goes to the one and only Franky Troutstalker! Taught me everything I know! He's at my house today chasing pike in the back yard! Gonna hit a secret spot on WB next week!  @)

MK
LOL he is the man too just let me know dad and i will be ready tell TS to save some of them and not catch them all.. pm me and we will hit the spot with you.. good luck all you lg guys it is great see those great fish...

Offline MJB518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3104 on: Feb 09, 2014, 02:59 PM »
Yes you did SS. Thank you! Those sound like some beast fish. Cant wait till the day it happens.

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #3105 on: Feb 09, 2014, 03:08 PM »
Hey SS.  How is the mount holding up?    Wondering if like everything else loses it's luster and look as it gets older.    Mines about 8 years old now and hasn't changed much but I see some done that haven't stood the test of time

Offline adktony

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3106 on: Feb 09, 2014, 03:14 PM »
Not a bad day jigging today ended up with 7 biggest being 22 had to work for them though fished from 70 to 110  marked a lot of fish just would not commit the ones that did follow were sluggish had to finesse them a little more.  Had some  chase well over 100 fow then just turn right around. Mjb anything is possible there are a lot of fish pulled out well over 10 lbs on a jig stick it's just whatever your more comfortable with. Cold days are not much fun when you have to hand line 100 ft of line 5 times over sometimes sitting in the shack is more comfortable. But timing is key you just gotta be in the right place at the right time

JJ

« Reply #3107 on: Feb 09, 2014, 03:21 PM »
I'm guessing this wasn't an ice fisherman.  ;D 

Pickup flips on Lake George ice

LAKE GEORGE -- Warren County Sheriff's officers are investigating an incident involving a pickup truck that rolled over several times on the ice on Lake George and injured two men, including the driver.

Officials said that at about 11:27 p.m. Saturday, a truck driven by Derek F. Williams, 25, of South Glens Falls was attempting to spin doughnuts on the ice when he struck a snow embankment causing the truck to become airborne. The truck then overturned two to four times before coming to rest on its roof.

The rollover happened in the vicinity of Shepard Cove.

Williams and one other passenger suffered minor injuries, and one was transported to Glens Falls Hospital for further evaluation.

The incident remains under investigation.

http://m.poststar.com/news/local/pickup-flips-on-lake-george-ice/article_6a109cc2-91a5-11e3-876d-0019bb2963f4.html

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #3108 on: Feb 09, 2014, 03:31 PM »
Wonder if he is rethinking his actions this morning

JJ

« Reply #3109 on: Feb 09, 2014, 03:33 PM »
You can bet he is, probably didn't know that insurance won't cover the truck on the ice. ;D Article didn't mention if alcohol was involved.

Offline sanfordnson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3110 on: Feb 09, 2014, 03:42 PM »
I agree with BIRD21S I to have showed a lot of people where and how I catch fish and it always came back to haunt me. No parking and fished out. I won't tell any body I promise.

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3111 on: Feb 09, 2014, 03:46 PM »
Article didn't mention if alcohol was involved.
Seriously, how could it not be???? ;D
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline lakerdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3112 on: Feb 09, 2014, 03:47 PM »
Spent Thursday thru Saturday out there. Just jigging. :icefish: Managed to get a few each day . Slow bite but still love that lake.Great weekend
(Image removed from quote.)
nice job weird stone .

Offline adkwilburness

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3113 on: Feb 09, 2014, 03:55 PM »
Diffrerent strokes for different  folks

Offline sameoljets

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3114 on: Feb 09, 2014, 03:59 PM »
Snow has already started to blow off.  It was easier walking when u got further out.   Are we supposed to get snow this week?

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #3115 on: Feb 09, 2014, 04:02 PM »
You can bet he is, probably didn't know that insurance won't cover the truck on the ice. ;D Article didn't mention if alcohol was involved.
actually if you have comp the ins will cover it on or through the ice  ;)

JJ

« Reply #3116 on: Feb 09, 2014, 04:06 PM »
Maybe, depends on the policy; but while doing donuts on the ice it might not.  ;D

Offline bassinbrian_on_ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lakers are Fun !
« Reply #3117 on: Feb 09, 2014, 04:11 PM »
Here are a few from this morning ... even with the beat down machine paths, walking 2 miles was plenty of exercise for me today (no treadmill tonight  :P ) haha

Kind of slow overall they were not crazy, but enough action to make for a fun morning  ;D

BB
Just passing time until spring Stripers !

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #3118 on: Feb 09, 2014, 04:13 PM »
Perch bite was good today. Until the lakers moved in. They broke my line twice and got most of my good perch jigs. >:(
Master Laker taker.

Offline TC5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3119 on: Feb 09, 2014, 04:25 PM »
On to another subject.Out in the am on sled going to fish a 65 ' hump a little north of dome.Been looking at it on the map.Hope i can find it.Meal worm has a nab app on his phone way cool.Any body want to go pm me. :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.