New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346816 times)

Offline fishnfool59

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #2880 on: Feb 05, 2014, 03:51 PM »
Fished Roger's Rock Monday and had a good day, but fishing on Modays has its drawbacks. Fish307 bait is all gone (at least the last 2 weeks), Outdoorsman is closed and Crossroads doesn't open til 7 (though the bait was perfect sizes). Its hard for me to get bait the day before, hopefully one of these places step up a little. Their employees are all very nice but we all don't fish on Saturday and Sunday
i so have to agree. theres got to be enough people who like to get on the ice at or before sun-up to make it worthwhile to open earlier.yes,we can get our bait the nite before and hope it doesn't die by morning but having the fresh bait would be nice.
help protect and keep our great outdoors clean!

Offline rondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hudson River Salmon
« Reply #2881 on: Feb 05, 2014, 04:00 PM »

With the size of the fish you catch I can see why ;D
True but how many times have I heard " Dog , tighten your drag " ?

JJ

« Reply #2882 on: Feb 05, 2014, 04:03 PM »
i hear ya there. Talked to my professor at ACC who is a  retired ranger about the salmon on the king he sed do to the growing popularity of charter fishing an the abundant laker population the salmon are geting decimated and arnt able to dreed on the king. The biologists won't fishermen to take allot of lakers out of the system.

Your ACC professor is a little off on his assumptions, there are less charter boats on the lake now than there were 10(or even 5) years ago when we were catching salmon regularly. The salmon are put and take and should be legal size by the summer the next year after they are stocked. When the salmon were doing well people came from all over to fish them, with there own boats. How can charters be hurting the population if there aren't any there to be caught?  ;)

The salmon can not breed in LG, they need a large tributary which doesn't exist; which is why they aren't here naturally as natives. Stocking for them began in the 1880's.

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2883 on: Feb 05, 2014, 04:10 PM »
Yes JJ is spot on. We used to hammer em back in the early 90's when there were at least 5 or 10 more charter boats then there are now. They just aren't there like they used to be.

Offline Chase88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2884 on: Feb 05, 2014, 04:41 PM »
Charter boats have nothing to do with the salmon.  A hundred thousand lake trout swimming around when they throw the salmon in do. They had a much better survival rate when they were stocked in the streams. Now throwing them in the lake with the number of lake trout in there, which is probably double or triple what it was in the 80's is just a waste of money.

Offline baitbox

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2885 on: Feb 05, 2014, 04:51 PM »
Braved the storm and decided to try our luck again today.We landed 11 and most were nice 20-24" lakers.Thank god for GPS as I am sure we would still be driving around out there.Complete white out!Nice reward for being out there

Offline mikerudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Laker Taker
« Reply #2886 on: Feb 05, 2014, 04:57 PM »
BB nice looking lake trout! :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Mike
Dream Catcher

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2887 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:00 PM »
Nice job EJ! Way to make it happen!

MK

Offline icedpapermouth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2888 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:03 PM »
Nice fish! Looks like it was nasty out there!

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2889 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:12 PM »
Sweet , I will be out there in the morning :icefish:
MAY YOUR FLAGS FLY HIGH & YOUR LINES BE TIGHT.

Offline ice tripper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ice tripping all over the capital region for 30yrs
« Reply #2890 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:19 PM »
Nice job again baitbox.how much snow is on the lake :icefish: :icefish:will be heading up on friday.

JJ

« Reply #2891 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:25 PM »
There is over a foot of snow on the lake and still coming down; just took a ride out there on my snowmobile, tough to even see. Gonna difficult for the walkers and tough dragging sleds; probably too much for many ATVs.

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2892 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:51 PM »
Smitty sled will help . Only going out 200 yds.  ::) I need the work out. Is it heavy snow?

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2893 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:54 PM »

JJ

« Reply #2894 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:56 PM »
Light, fluffy snow, that's why it piled up so high; won't settle much because it will stay cold. Already some wet spots out there.

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2895 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:57 PM »
Braved the snow today and was rewarded nicely with lakers and almost a limit of perch. Walking is MISERABLE!!!! A foot or more snow on the ice makes a tough drag
Jason

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2896 on: Feb 05, 2014, 06:00 PM »
Wish I had snow shoes. ::) Would be better like this though. :'(

JJ

« Reply #2897 on: Feb 05, 2014, 06:03 PM »
Been like that for a couple weeks. I know that background.  ;D

Offline MJB518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2898 on: Feb 05, 2014, 06:31 PM »
Beware at pilots knob people. I fell through this afternoon on my walk back to the vehicle. On the way out I noticed a mountain dew bottle off the edge of a pressure crack. I stayed a good distance away from it (roughly 100ft) took a step and went through about 2in of slush. Realized thats not good and went to step to the side to walk away and went in. It happened really quick. I was able to get right out without much trouble. The ice did not break around me as I was getting back on top. I went in to about my abdomen. There were other guys in shanties close by that I wanted to walk out and warn but I was soaked and the only thing on my mind was to get to the car and warm up.  Please be careful people. With the snow blown all around im sure its nearly impossible to see these bad spots.

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2899 on: Feb 05, 2014, 06:34 PM »
Is that the crack just outside the cove? That sucks

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2900 on: Feb 05, 2014, 06:35 PM »
Wow, glad you're OK Bro!

MK

Offline MJB518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2901 on: Feb 05, 2014, 06:41 PM »
Is that the crack just outside the cove? That sucks
Yes.

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
« Reply #2902 on: Feb 05, 2014, 07:05 PM »
Beware at pilots knob people. I fell through this afternoon on my walk back to the vehicle. On the way out I noticed a mountain dew bottle off the edge of a pressure crack. I stayed a good distance away from it (roughly 100ft) took a step and went through about 2in of slush. Realized thats not good and went to step to the side to walk away and went in. It happened really quick. I was able to get right out without much trouble. The ice did not break around me as I was getting back on top. I went in to about my abdomen. There were other guys in shanties close by that I wanted to walk out and warn but I was soaked and the only thing on my mind was to get to the car and warm up.  Please be careful people. With the snow blown all around im sure its nearly impossible to see these bad spots.

Not good! Glad you made it out safely.

Offline catchnofishthisisfun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2903 on: Feb 05, 2014, 07:20 PM »
So glad you're okay.. I had a moment last friday on the ice where lots of noise and earthquaking was going on. I puckered up and my sled is actually a large cooler on wheels.. I jumped for it thinking i was going in...:) it would float right? lol but anyways.. my access to the lake was pretty wimpy ice and the whole time i thought i had a 40% chance of going in. Very scary thought and I'm sorry it actually happened to you. Be safe out there guys.
"One fish. Two fish. Red fish. Blue fish. Black fish. Blue fish. Old fish. New fish. This one has a little star. This one has a little car. Say! What a lot of fish there are."  Dr. Seuss

Offline Barebow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always fishing for something!
« Reply #2904 on: Feb 05, 2014, 07:26 PM »
My great grandfather was the caretaker of the Wiawaka in the 1940's, my dad had a letter GD wrote to the state back then that the Salmon were breeding in the bay in front of the Wiawaka, and the perch and sunfish moved in immediately after the spawn and ate all the fry they could catch, he asked the state to come put a net in the front of the bay after the spawn so the fry could grow unmolested until they were large enough to escape..nothing  was ever done...My grandfather talked of 15 pounders being caught regularly. By the way, he also was the caretaker of the old trout hatchery behind what is now the BBQ joint, just off exit 21, where the cowboy ranch is now...  My 2 cents.....Barebow

Offline mikerudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Laker Taker
« Reply #2905 on: Feb 05, 2014, 07:30 PM »
Glad you made it out OK! Thanks for the report. Get warm and be safe! :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Mike
Dream Catcher

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2906 on: Feb 05, 2014, 07:41 PM »
Dang man. I'm glad you're alright.
I'm guessing it is the same hole that I found over the weekend. Someone opened it up driving over the crack with a quad.
If so, I had that hole marked with a tipup with the flag standing up Sunday evening. Someone must have taken the tipup. I posted a few pages back. I had found the tipup after everyone left. Told my kid he could have it. Just to tell him when we were walking off that we need to leave it behind to mark the hole. He was mad at me until I explained it might save someone from getting wet or killed. It grinds my gears that someone took it when it was pretty clear why it was put there.  >:(
I'm really sorry you got wet man, but glad you're here to warn the rest of us.   
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #2907 on: Feb 05, 2014, 07:44 PM »
My great grandfather was the caretaker of the Wiawaka in the 1940's, my dad had a letter GD wrote to the state back then that the Salmon were breeding in the bay in front of the Wiawaka, and the perch and sunfish moved in immediately after the spawn and ate all the fry they could catch, he asked the state to come put a net in the front of the bay after the spawn so the fry could grow unmolested until they were large enough to escape..nothing  was ever done...My grandfather talked of 15 pounders being caught regularly. By the way, he also was the caretaker of the old trout hatchery behind what is now the BBQ joint, just off exit 21, where the cowboy ranch is now...  My 2 cents.....Barebow
That`s very interesting. We use to catch salmon on a regular basis 20+ years ago. Then they disappeared. :'(
Master Laker taker.

Offline Barebow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always fishing for something!
« Reply #2908 on: Feb 05, 2014, 07:47 PM »
I had regularly caught them on a fly rod in the spring and fall up to 6 pounds, until about 11-12 years ago, they are still there, just no numbers...Barebow

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #2909 on: Feb 05, 2014, 07:51 PM »
Charter boats have nothing to do with the salmon.  A hundred thousand lake trout swimming around when they throw the salmon in do. They had a much better survival rate when they were stocked in the streams. Now throwing them in the lake with the number of lake trout in there, which is probably double or triple what it was in the 80's is just a waste of money.
I agree. Catching a salmon on the King is like hitting the lotto.
Master Laker taker.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.