New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346679 times)

Offline catchnofishthisisfun

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #2850 on: Feb 04, 2014, 07:50 PM »
Not that i'm into giving advice, but i do this for some of my possessions....put a label on your flasher.. Name Phone number and maybe address.. ya never know when Someone might be that cool.
"One fish. Two fish. Red fish. Blue fish. Black fish. Blue fish. Old fish. New fish. This one has a little star. This one has a little car. Say! What a lot of fish there are."  Dr. Seuss

Offline Icemark247

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2851 on: Feb 04, 2014, 08:05 PM »
next week i will hopefully be out there meeting some of you guys on the ice!
Hard Water Addict
FISH ON!!!!

Offline mikerudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Laker Taker
« Reply #2852 on: Feb 04, 2014, 08:31 PM »
It would be a pleasure! :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Mike
Dream Catcher

Offline TC5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2853 on: Feb 05, 2014, 03:52 AM »
out of Bixby.covered a lot of ground.did 4 all just short.thought i was close to the bait.the last one i got burped up a smelt and it was still alive.drilled some more holes no more trout.i thought for sure they would be on the bite heavy. ???

Offline IceNeck9292

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2854 on: Feb 05, 2014, 08:27 AM »
This has got to be one of the best bs threads. No negativity except the baby fish guy. And seems everyone fishes together.. hope i can have the privlage of meeting some of u guys out there somtime soon tight lines front the shanty as we speak the gill bite is good today and crappies are hitting as well !
Cacth them by day, fillet them by night.

Offline Icemark247

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2855 on: Feb 05, 2014, 08:31 AM »
Can any of you guys recomend me a good laker jigging rod set-up? Lures to buy etc.  Gonna be my first trip up there ice fishing(been up before in the summer and caught some small mouth). Just looking for a decent laker jigging rig and just the basic set-up. Any help would be greatly appreciated !!
Hard Water Addict
FISH ON!!!!

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #2856 on: Feb 05, 2014, 09:50 AM »
Can any of you guys recomend me a good laker jigging rod set-up? Lures to buy etc.  Gonna be my first trip up there ice fishing(been up before in the summer and caught some small mouth). Just looking for a decent laker jigging rig and just the basic set-up. Any help would be greatly appreciated !!

tons of info here if you look through the last 10 pages

I use a medium heavy rod usually longer 34"+ braided line and a flouro leader with a swivel connecting the 2, buckshot jigs, white tubes, swedish pimples, etc something that can get to bottom quick and has a little flutter as it drops also it seems people have better hookups with a single hook instead of treble, a flasher will be a huge help as they tend to chase the jig up, good luck and hold on tight
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2857 on: Feb 05, 2014, 09:55 AM »
I personally like the Long jigging rods. I have a 35" and a 45" HT big eye jigging rods. These are HT's new jigging rod line up and they are walleye/lake trout deep water specific. I love them.

On my 45" Medium I threw one of the abu garcia revo SX baitcasters on it, with 20lb power pro braid and a 14lb mono leader. Lures are already covered as stated above. White swimbaits, swedish pimples, spoons etc.

I use your small traditional rods too, I just feel more comfortable with a longer rod.

Offline bassinbrian_on_ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lakers are Fun !
« Reply #2858 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:17 AM »
I just feel more comfortable with a longer rod.

That's what she said  :roflmao: :roflmao:

and a 14lb mono leader

Seriously though, may want to leader down man, 14 is pretty heavy ... 8lb flouro is fine.
Just passing time until spring Stripers !

Offline bluemountainlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my fish was bigger than yours
« Reply #2859 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:54 AM »
I run 6 pound and haven't had a problem yet. but id want the 8 pound im sure if I hooked a trophy laker. I wouldent go any higher than 10 pound tho. no need for it

JJ

« Reply #2860 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:58 AM »
6 lb test for lakers is plenty, the important thing is a reel with a good drag; the undersize reels that come with most ice combos don't cut it. I like the Maxima Ultragreen line and use it with customers that have never fished before (summer and winter).

I fished lakers with 4 lb for several years and had no problems other than the occasional bite-off, or fish gator rolling around the line. Here's a 32" trout caught on 4 lb:

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2861 on: Feb 05, 2014, 11:02 AM »
nice fish jj! I love catching lakers on my ultralight and 4 pound test!

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2862 on: Feb 05, 2014, 11:10 AM »
Totally agree with a good quality reel/drag. I've had good luck with Daiwa 2500 series reels (Sol's, Procyon), nice and smooth drags with a generous adjustment range. I use 6lb - 8lb Berkley Fireline (smoke) with 6lb - 8lb Seaguar Fluoro Leaders tied together with Alberto knots and terminated with a #7 Spro Barrell swivel. Lures are attached to the swivel with split rings. I've had snap swivels and Duosnap connectors fail on me.

MK

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2863 on: Feb 05, 2014, 11:50 AM »
If you guys don't mind me plugging 307.  :P
They've got a guy building custom rods now.
You pick the blank, guides, seat, wraps, and colors if you want them. He puts it all together. And well.
I can't personally attest to the heavy rods, but the UL's are some of the nicest I've seen. I use one for jigging lakers for the fun of it. I dump a few fish a day because I can't get good hook sets but it's a blast when I get one buried well. (Built for perch, tip like a noodle).

The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2864 on: Feb 05, 2014, 11:58 AM »
If you guys don't mind me plugging 307.  :P
They've got a guy building custom rods now.
You pick the blank, guides, seat, wraps, and colors if you want them. He puts it all together. And well.
I can't personally attest to the heavy rods, but the UL's are some of the nicest I've seen. I use one for jigging lakers for the fun of it. I dump a few fish a day because I can't get good hook sets but it's a blast when I get one buried well. (Built for perch, tip like a noodle).

I had a custom med-heavy laker rod made by this skilled young man and it's awesome! I had this rod built to order in 28" with a thin profile graphite blank with a sturdy backbone. I prefer 28" when inside my 1 man flip over so I'm not smacking the roof of the shelter during hook sets! Great prices for custom work!

MK

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2865 on: Feb 05, 2014, 12:26 PM »

That's what she said  :roflmao: :roflmao:

Seriously though, may want to leader down man, 14 is pretty heavy ... 8lb flouro is fine.

I guess my bass ways are getting the best of me lol

JJ

« Reply #2866 on: Feb 05, 2014, 12:42 PM »
You can catch bass on 6 lb test, too.  ;D

Offline fishnfool59

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2867 on: Feb 05, 2014, 12:49 PM »
i use the 6 lb fireline. no stretch and much better for hooksets. combined with a good rod with some backbone itworks great for me!
help protect and keep our great outdoors clean!

Offline rondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hudson River Salmon
« Reply #2868 on: Feb 05, 2014, 12:56 PM »
Thorne brothers light Walleye rod 30"  , 4lb Fireline crystel .I've never been broken off.

Offline Mayne, J

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2869 on: Feb 05, 2014, 12:59 PM »
The best way to figer what gear to bring is put in the hrs sn find what works best for you an how you like to fish. Personaly i like to get away with as lite a line an takle i can an still gey a good hook set. 6 ld floro has never failed me in terms of rod n reel i like 26,28 med heavy an shimono reels

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #2870 on: Feb 05, 2014, 01:00 PM »
I've never been broken off.

With the size of the fish you catch I can see why ;D

JJ

« Reply #2871 on: Feb 05, 2014, 01:02 PM »
Ouch.  ;D

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #2872 on: Feb 05, 2014, 01:38 PM »

With the size of the fish you catch I can see why ;D

:clap: :woot:   you gonna beat up on an injured guy like that, slipbob? ;D

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #2873 on: Feb 05, 2014, 01:48 PM »
:clap: :woot:   you gonna beat up on an injured guy like that, slipbob? ;D

Ronnie makes it too easy sometimes ;D

Offline mikerudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Laker Taker
« Reply #2874 on: Feb 05, 2014, 02:27 PM »
Do you feel the love here boys? :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: LOL

Mike
Dream Catcher

Offline ChefMcG

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2875 on: Feb 05, 2014, 02:28 PM »
Fished Roger's Rock Monday and had a good day, but fishing on Modays has its drawbacks. Fish307 bait is all gone (at least the last 2 weeks), Outdoorsman is closed and Crossroads doesn't open til 7 (though the bait was perfect sizes). Its hard for me to get bait the day before, hopefully one of these places step up a little. Their employees are all very nice but we all don't fish on Saturday and Sunday
The separation is in the preparation!

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2876 on: Feb 05, 2014, 02:48 PM »
I had a custom med-heavy laker rod made by this skilled young man and it's awesome! I had this rod built to order in 28" with a thin profile graphite blank with a sturdy backbone. I prefer 28" when inside my 1 man flip over so I'm not smacking the roof of the shelter during hook sets! Great prices for custom work!

MK

Tony made me a custom laker rod, and I love it.  Give him a call at Fish 307.

Offline Mayne, J

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2877 on: Feb 05, 2014, 03:00 PM »
i hear ya there. Talked to my professor at ACC who is a  retired ranger about the salmon on the king he sed do to the growing popularity of charter fishing an the abundant laker population the salmon are geting decimated and arnt able to dreed on the king. The biologists won't fishermen to take allot of lakers out of the system.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2878 on: Feb 05, 2014, 03:15 PM »
i don't believe salmon can breed on lake George. they need a clean cold river to spawn and lg doesn't have that. I've heard there is a small amount of salmon that spawn in the Schroon river tho.

Offline Mayne, J

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2879 on: Feb 05, 2014, 03:46 PM »
LL salmon have adapted to breed in lakes and bo breed inLG the problem is  they spown in the same places and same time as lakers witch is 1 of the problems the salmon face in LG

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.