New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346734 times)

Offline baitbox

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #2790 on: Feb 03, 2014, 05:18 PM »
Thanks guys!

Offline -Mischief

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2791 on: Feb 03, 2014, 05:20 PM »
I was fortunate enough today to meet and fish with a great group of guys.Jager,WEC,BCShanty,Anthony, and Butch.Had a blast and we caught a few fish!Hope to do it again sometime soon.Thanks again Mike for the invite.Here is a pic of my new personal best laker caught on a jig rod.10.5 lbs!

WoW!!!!
Thanks,
---Frank---

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #2792 on: Feb 03, 2014, 05:22 PM »
Great fish bait box and mike and the gang are a bunch of good guys always willing to help out. 

As for Trey.  Maybe he should of left the meds in vermont  not a big Phish person or pill head
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline icedpapermouth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2793 on: Feb 03, 2014, 05:28 PM »
Haha... That is exactly why I said Whitehall is an easy target for jokes.

Offline mikerudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Laker Taker
« Reply #2794 on: Feb 03, 2014, 05:56 PM »
Great looking fish... You were fishing with some of the best! :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Mike
Dream Catcher

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2795 on: Feb 03, 2014, 06:25 PM »
Nice fish EJ...Congrats :clap:

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2796 on: Feb 03, 2014, 06:26 PM »
Got a question for some of you pros. Today I had a few occasions close to bottom where I'd be toying with them and "bonk". I'd feel a wack on the line but no hook up. I seemed to catch all these fosh eventually by doing something totally unconventional as far as I have read for fishing lakers. Were they slapping the bait with their tail by any chance because that's what I was thinking.

Offline fishnfool59

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2797 on: Feb 03, 2014, 06:34 PM »
WoW!!!!
sweet deal ej! way to go bud!
help protect and keep our great outdoors clean!

Offline cnyiceboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Die hard
« Reply #2798 on: Feb 03, 2014, 06:36 PM »
Some nice lakers!!
A good day fishing inst complete unless it's spent with family or friends.

Offline carpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2799 on: Feb 03, 2014, 06:38 PM »
CONGRATS :clap: :clap: :clap: on your pb EJ, nice laker man. :tipup: :tipup:
                                                             CARPY

Offline bluemountainlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my fish was bigger than yours
« Reply #2800 on: Feb 03, 2014, 06:38 PM »
yea I would say they were. I used to get a lot of bumps fishing without a flasher. you foul hook any? that's normally a good indicator there slashing at your bait trying to kill it. I need to learn some more finesse techniques to get them half hearted chasers. great job on those fish today jimmi and baitbox that is a absolute pig! great pics everyone!

Offline Chase88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2801 on: Feb 03, 2014, 06:38 PM »
Lakers go through schools of smelt and will hit them with their tail or body. Then they swing back and pick off the stunned ones.  That is one way the eat... Lakers will eat all different ways when they are in the mood. A lot of lakers have senkos and other bass worms in them that guys have lost or thrown over the side. (remember that bass fisherman) They are the catfish of the trout family.

Offline chuckrudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2802 on: Feb 03, 2014, 06:40 PM »
Beautiful looking fish.

Offline IceNeck9292

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2803 on: Feb 03, 2014, 06:41 PM »
Beautiful fish  :o
Cacth them by day, fillet them by night.

Offline Icemark247

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2804 on: Feb 03, 2014, 06:43 PM »
I need to get up there soon! Every day reading these posts just makes me break a little more to go!
Hard Water Addict
FISH ON!!!!

Offline bluemountainlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my fish was bigger than yours
« Reply #2805 on: Feb 03, 2014, 06:44 PM »
the catfish of the trout family is a pretty good comparison. they will eat just about anything. very opportunistic feeders

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2806 on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:28 PM »
Congrats baitbox!  Looks like the King is coughing up a lot of nice fish this year.

And yes it's about presentation.  That's the difference between guys like Bigred or Fontana and myself.  I've got the wham bam thank you ma'am down pat.  When they want it I get it.  But I still haven't learned to give them finesse and sweet love to turn them on.  They see right through me.  That's the difference between single digit and lower double digit days, versus 25 to 50 fish days.  Someday I'll figure it out. :)

I'm going to break 15 a day soon!  Something to do with sun and moon aligning.  I messed around with a 23" fish for ten min before it hit yesterday.  I think presentation is nada factor.  Keep ripping it past them then wiggle like you would a feather to a cat eventually the trout is like "duuuuuh It looks sorta like a smelt"  wham fish on! 
I've caught 20+ on the same pimple. 
Wiggle that thing anyway and keep em interested!

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2807 on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:59 PM »
I've had days that soon as I reached bottom the bait lands In there mouth. Flip the bail and the lakers already on.  Usually a sign of a double digit day. 

That was it for me a lot of the time today. I think that's sometimes the difference with not having a finder. You see the slack and think you hit the bottom so you have hearted flip the bail and start reeling or jigging in the fish is off before you have it. I use a open water fish finder and was always using the zoom on 2x which would basically just show you the bottom half of the water column. Today I was on 6x so I was seeing the bottom 6 feet. They were picking it up about a foot off the bottom. So if I saw slack before that thing hit the bottom I hammered on'em and it worked well. Like I said before the "laker game" of having them chase wasn't the best presentation for me today. With that said I did have a couple fish that bit right under the ice. But again not on the chase. They would turn away and I would start to drop again and they would come grab it while it was falling back down. I don't think there is anything better then sight fishing a laker that just followed a jig from 60ft down.

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2808 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:18 PM »
I was fortunate enough today to meet and fish with a great group of guys.Jager,WEC,BCShanty,Anthony, and Butch.Had a blast and we caught a few fish!Hope to do it again sometime soon.Thanks again Mike for the invite.Here is a pic of my new personal best laker caught on a jig rod.10.5 lbs!

Pleasure was all mine EJ! Great fishing with you and once more, congrats on that Slammer Laker and equally commendable on the C & R ! Look forward to another outing! Good luck with Hoss tomorrow! Don't torture me too much at work!  :)

Mike

Offline lakerdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2809 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:34 PM »
Wow nice laker on the jig

Offline Barebow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always fishing for something!
« Reply #2810 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:40 PM »
Nice fish Red and Fontana, wishing I could fish any day I want , working during the week only puts me there during high traffic times...maybe next weekend if we don't get 2 foot of snow....Tight lines all....Barebow

Offline Barebow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2811 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:41 PM »
Congrats to your lovely wife , Jake...Barebow

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2812 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:48 PM »
I have recently been into catching bait. I gotta tell you guys I always tip my lure with grubs and usually get aggravated all day trying to keep lakers off! They are garbage disposals, just gotta find pods of un pressured fish. Catfish of the trout family is great comparison lol

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2813 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:55 PM »
That was it for me a lot of the time today. I think that's sometimes the difference with not having a finder. You see the slack and think you hit the bottom so you have hearted flip the bail and start reeling or jigging in the fish is off before you have it. I use a open water fish finder and was always using the zoom on 2x which would basically just show you the bottom half of the water column. Today I was on 6x so I was seeing the bottom 6 feet. They were picking it up about a foot off the bottom. So if I saw slack before that thing hit the bottom I hammered on'em and it worked well. Like I said before the "laker game" of having them chase wasn't the best presentation for me today. With that said I did have a couple fish that bit right under the ice. But again not on the chase. They would turn away and I would start to drop again and they would come grab it while it was falling back down. I don't think there is anything better then sight fishing a laker that just followed a jig from 60ft down.
So that's what is happening. This weekend was my first time jigging for lakers and was fishing without a graph.  I opened the bail, let my jig tipped with half a minnow, fall to what I thought was the bottom I closed the bail ready to smash   my bait on the bottom, lifted up felt some weight and thought I was sagged and then unsnagged. I burned my bait up 10 ft and noticed my bait was gone and clued in to it being a fish. So I rebaited, dropped it down again and the same thing  happened again, but this time I got to the of the hole where the hook fell out and the fish managed to get away. Same thing happened yesterday, but came off about 20 ft from the surface. I was using a shorter jigging rod so I went and bought a wright and mcgills 50inch rod from the307 today so watch out lakers. Thanks for the help from the307.

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2814 on: Feb 03, 2014, 09:01 PM »
I forgot to mention, I did get to meet barebow Saturday. Great guy! Maybe I'll see you out there again. How did you do aafter I saw you anyway?

Offline Barebow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2815 on: Feb 03, 2014, 09:04 PM »
Great laker baitbox, now I am jealous....Those are some great fisherman there you mentioned....Love to tail you guys some time, I need to buy another wheeler soon, my almost 58 y/o bones can't walk miles of lake like I did 10 years ago...Tight lines all!  Barebow....

Offline reservoirdog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2816 on: Feb 03, 2014, 09:07 PM »

Hey EJ

The pleasure was a; ours , what a fish , congrats on the PB as well as a productive day
                                                                                                  Anthony

Offline Barebow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2817 on: Feb 03, 2014, 09:13 PM »
Fishyfishes, I slammed about 45 dinks and took home about 20 semi ok perch, caught 3 bass again, like I did the day before on vets,one about 4 lbs.  great meeting you guys too...I looked for you on the way off was going to donate my perch so you could have a meal...Tight Lines guys....Barebow
 :icefish:

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2818 on: Feb 03, 2014, 09:30 PM »
Yeah, we did the same. By the time we started getting ready to get off the lake, it was windy and snowing like crazy. Have ti find those big ones. I've done really well in past year's on a spot. Pm you

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2819 on: Feb 03, 2014, 10:39 PM »
Hey EJ

The pleasure was a; ours , what a fish , congrats on the PB as well as a productive day
                                                                                                  Anthony
Congrats again on that hog EJ!
Hope to do it again soon

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.