New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346847 times)

Offline BOCHASER

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #2280 on: Jan 24, 2014, 01:56 PM »
I used to fish dead bait on the bottom for years in deep water and you are 100% correct - the pick-up at the end of the day can be brutal!!! My hands hurt at just the thought of it. Jigging is much more fun.

Offline inflatable yeti

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2281 on: Jan 24, 2014, 02:01 PM »
Most of the fish I've caught this year have been fat and puking up bait.  Certainly doesn't seem to be any shortage of forage for them.  You'd think if they were all eating so well it wouldn't matter how many fish were in the system.
Every minute is to be grasped.
Time waits for nobody.

Offline adktony

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2282 on: Jan 24, 2014, 02:02 PM »
Had something happen today that never has happened to me before. Was sitting in my truck about 75 ft from Lake George when my whole truck rocked and I heard a crack that was louder than a rifle shot. 
Now I've been on the ice when its cracked and moved a lot, but I've never had it shake the ground so much its rocked my truck.
Was anyone else on the ice when it happened?
Had an en con  officer tell me the same thing today said that was was scoping a coup guys out and said it felt like someone rear ended him said he has never seen or heard anything like that from the ice. Said they guys he was watching jumped up and out of their shanty so fast they must have .... themselves lol I would have

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2283 on: Jan 24, 2014, 02:29 PM »
my 40" laker on the wall had a belly full of Jumbo perch and big smelt....

granted I caught that fish 10 years ago. We caught 3 that day. The big 40", a 37" and a 34". The 40 was the only one that came home.

You rarely hear about those big girls being caught anymore, but they are in there, and I will tell you I got them in a spot that usually doesn't freeze...this year is one of those lucky years she is all locked up.

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2284 on: Jan 24, 2014, 02:42 PM »
Had something happen today that never has happened to me before. Was sitting in my truck about 75 ft from Lake George when my whole truck rocked and I heard a crack that was louder than a rifle shot. 
Now I've been on the ice when its cracked and moved a lot, but I've never had it shake the ground so much its rocked my truck.
Was anyone else on the ice when it happened?
Ice did that twice to us today. Felt like a good earthquake and was pretty loud. As we were walking back to the parking area there was new huge pressure ridges that weren't there in the am when we walked out. Where the ice eater is, the ice heaved up a few feet at some point today when we were out.

JJ

« Reply #2285 on: Jan 24, 2014, 02:55 PM »
I'll go ya one better JJ, the WHOLE lake is frozen! I went all the way to Rogers Rock yesterday and saw no open water. Only place that looked sketchy was out in front of the Village of Hague, but it was frozen.
Not claiming i know how much ice, just sayin it frozen.

I posted that on the Reports and Conditions page this morning, forgot to put it here. ;D

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2286 on: Jan 24, 2014, 03:02 PM »
SS you must be referring to North basin??

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #2287 on: Jan 24, 2014, 03:09 PM »
last year someone got a 22.5lber in 5ft of water on a salmon tipup. 

Offline Izayahhh12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2288 on: Jan 24, 2014, 03:14 PM »
How much ice off million dollar beach
Flags up and tight lines!

Offline Chase88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2289 on: Jan 24, 2014, 03:18 PM »
Friend of mine is a die hard big laker and pike fisherman. His first stop getting some ciscoes for his tip ups. He does very well.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #2290 on: Jan 24, 2014, 03:25 PM »
Just want to note with the very cold temperatures to be sure to get the fish back into the water quickly before they freeze, doesn't take long for the fin tips and eyes to ice up when temps are in the single digits and below. Also try to handle the fish with care, stay away from the gill area and don't squeeze too much near the head and belly. Instead of holding them vertically for a picture, it is better for the fish to cradle them with two hands and squeeze only around the tail if needed. I've seen damaged gill plates on fish that were held by them, the tissue wasn't meant to support the weight of the whole fish there; and studies have shown that the spine gets damaged when they are held by the lip and start to thrash around. They may swim away but will die afterwards but there is no way of knowing about it.

Of course this is only for fish you intend to release, do what you want with keepers.  ;D There are plenty of lakers to go around and it won't hurt to remove some, the best eating fish are the smaller ones. Consider letting the larger fish(28"+) go so we can all have a chance at some bigger fish, would be nice to see more 15-20 pounders around. @)

Not picking on anyone in particular and don't want anyone to feel the need to get defensive, just trying to pass on what I have learned so we can all enjoy this resource. Curious what others have to add, thanks.
post of the year rite there thanks jj

Offline catchnofishthisisfun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2291 on: Jan 24, 2014, 03:33 PM »
Hey Guys,

I'm just checkin in on the situation in Hague.. I'm a little south(albany) of everyone who's lucky enough to be there all of the time for this special time of year. Is there good ice north of friends point? Any info would be greatly appreciated. ??? :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
"One fish. Two fish. Red fish. Blue fish. Black fish. Blue fish. Old fish. New fish. This one has a little star. This one has a little car. Say! What a lot of fish there are."  Dr. Seuss

Offline qbyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2292 on: Jan 24, 2014, 03:56 PM »
Anyone know if they are takin wheelers across to the narrows from vets yet? Probably going tomorrow

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2293 on: Jan 24, 2014, 04:09 PM »
Perch bite was on today caught a limit threw back another 50-60 probably 40 of them could of been kept on a slower day😁 all out of 1 hole;D ;D

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2294 on: Jan 24, 2014, 04:16 PM »
Why would anyone drive up to Bolton when Harris bay closer for most with waaaay more JUMBO perch?

NW Bay is fished out and the pressure has got to the Lakers baaad.
This is a joke, right? from what I see, the only reason most guys go to Harris is because of the easy access and it usually freezes earlier than most other spots on LG. As soon as LG freezes over all the way most guys abandon Harris like a bad penny. Nice day like today and a friday to boot, and there were only 4 guys fishing it.  Just sayin.................
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2295 on: Jan 24, 2014, 04:21 PM »
. But one day we took a ride out and saw a bunch of outta staters with dead fish all over the ice........aaggghhh... ...where's dec when you need em. Way over their limit and lots of big fish.
Did you actually try to cal DEC???? Just wonderin?????
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2296 on: Jan 24, 2014, 04:22 PM »
This is a joke, right? from what I see, the only reason most guys go to Harris is because of the easy access and it usually freezes earlier than most other spots on LG. As soon as LG freezes over all the way most guys abandon Harris like a bad penny. Nice day like today and a friday to boot, and there were only 4 guys fishing it.  Just sayin.................

Shhh!  Have you ever heard of defensive fishing.

There are slabs to be had at Harris! ;)

Offline catchnofishthisisfun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2297 on: Jan 24, 2014, 04:34 PM »
no joke regarding hague.. i have access to the lake from nearby friends point.. wondering what the ice thickness is as I'd like to get to the grassbeds just northeast of friends point.
"One fish. Two fish. Red fish. Blue fish. Black fish. Blue fish. Old fish. New fish. This one has a little star. This one has a little car. Say! What a lot of fish there are."  Dr. Seuss

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2298 on: Jan 24, 2014, 04:39 PM »

Kinda figured that. ;)2

Offline mikerudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Laker Taker
« Reply #2299 on: Jan 24, 2014, 04:50 PM »
Kinda figured that. ;)2
You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure that out :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Mike
Dream Catcher

Offline Pickeralpicker91

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2300 on: Jan 24, 2014, 04:55 PM »

Lol.  I usually catch all the jumbos right between the little islands on night crawlers on tip ups ;)

Offline 5watchman5

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whose idea was this anyway?
« Reply #2301 on: Jan 24, 2014, 05:31 PM »
Million Dollar Beach is my favorite place.  Especially during the winter carnival with all the sleds, fourwheelers, and parasailors, and cars and people who walk out and ask you what you're doing.  I just can't get enough of that place.  Catch either a Jumbo Perch or a slab Laker on every drop!

Offline mikerudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Laker Taker
« Reply #2302 on: Jan 24, 2014, 05:47 PM »
Million Dollar Beach is my favorite place.  Especially during the winter carnival with all the sleds, fourwheelers, and parasailors, and cars and people who walk out and ask you what you're doing.  I just can't get enough of that place.  Catch either a Jumbo Perch or a slab Laker on every drop!
It was like that last year @ Lake George Extravaganza and hopefully again with Jacob's tournament! :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Mike
Dream Catcher

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2303 on: Jan 24, 2014, 05:49 PM »
Ice did that twice to us today. Felt like a good earthquake and was pretty loud. As we were walking back to the parking area there was new huge pressure ridges that weren't there in the am when we walked out. Where the ice eater is, the ice heaved up a few feet at some point today when we were out.
An earthquake is a great way to explain the way it felt and sounded. It scared the hell out of me and my brother.

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2304 on: Jan 24, 2014, 08:18 PM »
Went out from Vets Park this morning with Kevin (BC Shanty) and met up IW, Jon and SOF.  Colder than a Well Digger's A$$ today! Also Felt the icequake, moved me and my shanty sideways! LOL! Bite was intermittent, never really turning on for more than a few 5 minute bursts of chasing activity over an 8 hour period.  Nonetheless, we still managed our share of fish.  Kevin and I totaled 30 fish with 7 misses and I got lucky on a nice chunky 30" !  FYI for those running sleds and wheelers tomorrow, a good sized pressure ridge formed today running N-S just past Crown so eyes open guys! Good seeing all you guys today!

Mike

Offline 5watchman5

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whose idea was this anyway?
« Reply #2305 on: Jan 24, 2014, 08:26 PM »
Nice job Mike and friends!  Congrats on the 30 and the 30".  I've been holding off on the Laker search this year but am thinking it's time to make it happen early next week.  Still have a lot to learn about the finesse bite.  I know all about those 5 minute feeding frenzies followed by empty screens and lethargic takers.  In the meantime hope you've made a full recovery from the knee replacements.  I'm going to cash in my raincheck with you one of these days and learn the finesse bite. 

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
« Reply #2306 on: Jan 24, 2014, 08:27 PM »
Nice catch Mike 

Offline LAKEGEORGEFISHER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2307 on: Jan 24, 2014, 08:39 PM »
nice "baby" lakers hope to get in on the action myself in the am
[/img][img

Offline lakerdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2308 on: Jan 24, 2014, 08:41 PM »
Hey Jagger I must have just missed u . I was out that way right up to the crack.  I didn't get out till late . Didn't land any but got snaped off. Sounds like the bite was good for you .  30 inches is a really nice fish on the jigger.
 nice pics

Offline jon ny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2309 on: Jan 24, 2014, 08:44 PM »
My buddy I brought was excited though, first trip out targeting them.   I've been telling him about jigging them... he knew I was serious, but had to see it in person.  Drilled the holes, told him to drop down, do this, then this... bang!  1 minute into the day and he landed his first ever.  All he said was "you've got to be kidding me".  ;D
I love clipboard man

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.