New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346735 times)

Offline ridgeline84

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #2160 on: Jan 22, 2014, 01:59 PM »
Taking my girlfriend up to Lake George next Friday1/31 and Saturday2/1... If anyone wants to team up from some lakers either of those days PM me!
tight lines guys.
Evan

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2161 on: Jan 22, 2014, 02:26 PM »
If you intend to release the laker, try removing hook while fish is still in hole.  I changed out most of my treble hooks to single hooks on my jigs and you can pop the hook out quickly with a pair of pliers or forceps.  A friend of mine is really good at doing this and he shamed me into doing it. Never had to touch the fish and keeps you hands a lot warmer and drier.  Give it a try.  Takes a little practice.

If I may add, use a Boga or similar grip to control them better in the hole.  I've lost fish trying to remove the hook on a thrashing fish while in the hole- unfortunately, with the lure in their mouth.   :-\  In attempting to grab the hook with my forceps I've nicked my leader resulting in a break off.  Poor fish swam off certain to die with the jig in its mouth.  Tough lesson learned.

MK

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #2162 on: Jan 22, 2014, 02:38 PM »
Just want to note with the very cold temperatures to be sure to get the fish back into the water quickly before they freeze, doesn't take long for the fin tips and eyes to ice up when temps are in the single digits and below. Also try to handle the fish with care, stay away from the gill area and don't squeeze too much near the head and belly. Instead of holding them vertically for a picture, it is better for the fish to cradle them with two hands and squeeze only around the tail if needed. I've seen damaged gill plates on fish that were held by them, the tissue wasn't meant to support the weight of the whole fish there; and studies have shown that the spine gets damaged when they are held by the lip and start to thrash around. They may swim away but will die afterwards but there is no way of knowing about it.

Of course this is only for fish you intend to release, do what you want with keepers.  ;D There are plenty of lakers to go around and it won't hurt to remove some, the best eating fish are the smaller ones. Consider letting the larger fish(28"+) go so we can all have a chance at some bigger fish, would be nice to see more 15-20 pounders around. @)

Not picking on anyone in particular and don't want anyone to feel the need to get defensive, just trying to pass on what I have learned so we can all enjoy this resource. Curious what others have to add, thanks.
I hope Anthony`s nose freezes this year. If it does, I got a shot at one of those 20 pounders. :)
Master Laker taker.

JJ

« Reply #2163 on: Jan 22, 2014, 02:44 PM »
They are in the South end also. ;)

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #2164 on: Jan 22, 2014, 03:30 PM »
Great stuff.  I would like to see the size of lakers get up there some.    Learning more and more about better ways to handle fish to improve there survival    Less pics and more quick releases. 
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #2165 on: Jan 22, 2014, 03:38 PM »
I think the Boga type grips can do some damage also.  Trout are just plain hard to control and get a steady handle on sometimes at the hole.  Best way I've found to minimize damage to the fish is running single hooks and I have been running a 10lb floro leader to be able to just grab the line and guide them up for a quick release.  When it's real cold don't let them flop around on the ice just get em back in the hole as quick as possible to avoid freezing on the gils and eyes like JJ said. 

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2166 on: Jan 22, 2014, 04:04 PM »
JJ is right on with keeping the smaller fish. Had a heated debate earlier and really don't want to get anyone all worked up. Just some things to keep in mind. After all it's about having fun and making sure we have many years of good fishing ahead of us!

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #2167 on: Jan 22, 2014, 04:09 PM »
I like using large single hooks. On some of my jigs and spoons I put a big single trailer hook (wide gap and big eye) with a piece of tubing or heat shrink over the split ring, lure and hook eye. Helps hold the hook straight for better hook ups, especially on the chubby darter types. It also make it easy to grab the lure and get a pair of pliers on the hook for a fast easy release. If you are out there catching big numbers regularly, take the barbs off too that will make releasing a lot easier too.

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2168 on: Jan 22, 2014, 04:29 PM »
I brought home 10 all between 9-10 in. Also caught a lot of dinks so it took awhile to get those 10.
Not bad.  Sounds like you had action.  I fished out Vet's about 4 years ago and really enjoyed it, but haven't been back since.  I don't have much interest in Lakers, but it doesn't seem like there has been a lot of perch action posted on this thread.  Thanks for the info.

Offline adktony

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2169 on: Jan 22, 2014, 04:32 PM »
Great tips from all. To add something I like to hold the fish 10-15 ft below the ice before I finally bring them in not sure if it helps decompress them from the depths but they always burp and then swim right away after release. Only ended up landing one today with only 3 chasers all day ice was thicker than my vex  float only good sign of the day. I'm not sure I ever heard the lake talk as much as today though gotta love that sound. Most of the time

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2170 on: Jan 22, 2014, 04:46 PM »
Not bad.  Sounds like you had action.  I fished out Vet's about 4 years ago and really enjoyed it, but haven't been back since.  I don't have much interest in Lakers, but it doesn't seem like there has been a lot of perch action posted on this thread.  Thanks for the info.
Plenty of perch action happening everywhere you look on that lake.  ;)
The laker guys done took over the thread on us.  ;D
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #2171 on: Jan 22, 2014, 04:50 PM »
I'll be up perching on Monday.    Got to fill the freezer.   
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2172 on: Jan 22, 2014, 04:56 PM »
I'll be up perching on Monday.    Got to fill the freezer.
I've got to switch over to CnR laker fishing or I'm going to run out of room! ;D
Fish fry tonight ;D
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2173 on: Jan 22, 2014, 05:25 PM »
Just want to note with the very cold temperatures to be sure to get the fish back into the water quickly before they freeze, doesn't take long for the fin tips and eyes to ice up when temps are in the single digits and below. Also try to handle the fish with care, stay away from the gill area and don't squeeze too much near the head and belly. Instead of holding them vertically for a picture, it is better for the fish to cradle them with two hands and squeeze only around the tail if needed. I've seen damaged gill plates on fish that were held by them, the tissue wasn't meant to support the weight of the whole fish there; and studies have shown that the spine gets damaged when they are held by the lip and start to thrash around. They may swim away but will die afterwards but there is no way of knowing about it.

Of course this is only for fish you intend to release, do what you want with keepers.  ;D There are plenty of lakers to go around and it won't hurt to remove some, the best eating fish are the smaller ones. Consider letting the larger fish(28"+) go so we can all have a chance at some bigger fish, would be nice to see more 15-20 pounders around. @)

Not picking on anyone in particular and don't want anyone to feel the need to get defensive, just trying to pass on what I have learned so we can all enjoy this resource. Curious what others have to add, thanks.
[/quote.  I agree with you 1000%
There are plenty of fish for everyone-if we take care of them and it would be nice to catch more in the 15-20 lb range (hope to get one of them on Friday)

Offline mikerudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Laker Taker
« Reply #2174 on: Jan 22, 2014, 05:39 PM »
I've got to switch over to CnR laker fishing or I'm going to run out of room! ;D
Fish fry tonight ;D
I also had fish tonight, will be up on the king probably Sunday trying to fill the pail! :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Mike
Dream Catcher

Offline baitbox

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2175 on: Jan 22, 2014, 05:42 PM »
The bite was a little slower today for us.We landed 14 today but had to work to find any that wanted to bite.No pics taken today as it was to cold.As Capt JJ stated it was important to get the fish back in the hole ASAP.We ended the three days with 54 lakers, the largest being 25".

Offline mikerudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Laker Taker
« Reply #2176 on: Jan 22, 2014, 05:43 PM »
Sounds like a great 3 days :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Mike
Dream Catcher

Offline ice tripper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ice tripping all over the capital region for 30yrs
« Reply #2177 on: Jan 22, 2014, 05:46 PM »
Nice 3days of fishing baitbox. I'll b out there in the a.m. looking to fill the pail. :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2178 on: Jan 22, 2014, 05:53 PM »
yeah...it seriously was.  Had to see all the texts from my friends as they caught 10 freakin' million trout on the king there before I could even get out.   Patience was a virtue though.   We hit the lake hard last weekend, and I felt great.

what a killer. Glad you got them last weekend. I hit the lake hard last weekend and got skunked for my first time ever.

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2179 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:04 PM »
I second that JJ. I was talking to the DEC fisheries guy that deals with Lake George last week and he wants people to start keeping more fish.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2180 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:05 PM »
I'm going to head to vets park tomorrow by myself. If anyone one else is going let me know. Maybe do some jigging together. I have frabill flip shanty and red vex suit.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2181 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:13 PM »
Has anyone ever tried Small silver with white bulley Sluggo's on a Jig head or Drop shot split tail minnows on a jig head for lakers?

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2182 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:16 PM »
I have a question for you "Super Jiggers". When you're using a flasher are you guys looking for fish in the holes you drill with your flasher before you start fishing? When I'm fishing perch I can usually tell when I check a hole if there are perch there, but when I go for lakers and check my holes before I start, I never see anything. Just wondering, I just can't ever seem to really get into Lakers in any numbers.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!

JJ

« Reply #2183 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:22 PM »
The lakers are cruising around looking for food, at least the hungry ones, and they just show up. They have really good eyesight and can see the lure from a good distance, they are sight feeders primarily. It's rare to see one when you first cut a hole but it does happen once in a while.

Offline Izayahhh12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2184 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:24 PM »
So pumped to fish the king hard water for the 1st time on sunday! Going off million dollar beach cant wait!
Flags up and tight lines!

Offline baitbox

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2185 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:27 PM »
I have a question for you "Super Jiggers". When you're using a flasher are you guys looking for fish in the holes you drill with your flasher before you start fishing? When I'm fishing perch I can usually tell when I check a hole if there are perch there, but when I go for lakers and check my holes before I start, I never see anything. Just wondering, I just can't ever seem to really get into Lakers in any numbers.
I usually look for fish to come up and look at the jig while it is falling to the bottom.If I don't see that then I will jig the hole for a couple of minutes and then move.I do not like to stay at a hole unless there is fish there.I am looking for the more agressive acting fish.If you want to up your laker numbers then drill alot of holes.I will drill 40-80 holes a day looking for those HOT holes.

Offline laduedg

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Get R Done
« Reply #2186 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:28 PM »
Is anyone taking atv's on Harris yet? I don't want to bring mine on Friday if there isn't enough ice.

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2187 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:29 PM »
Is anyone taking atv's on Harris yet? I don't want to bring mine on Friday if there isn't enough ice.
I saw one out there 2 weeks ago!

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2188 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:31 PM »
That answers my next question, which was how long do you spend on a hole before moving. Thats probably my problem, wasting too much time on dead holes.

Offline mnt fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2189 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:41 PM »
Plenty of perch action happening everywhere you look on that lake.  ;)
The laker guys done took over the thread on us.  ;D
X2, Perch action has been awsome.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.