New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346690 times)

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #2130 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:34 AM »
Heading out to the king shortly.    Just have to go home to grab my shanty and heaters.    Yes both of them lol
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline rlewis6987

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2131 on: Jan 22, 2014, 07:15 AM »
I've had them cough up sculpin a few times, usually ice fishing. One day by Paulist Fathers we had a couple lakers spit out well over a dozen little ones. But we never saw one on the north basin though and most of our fish have been caught there.
Jigged it up relatively close to pf , thought it was weird , lol , thanx all for the info.... :tipup:
Be safe and Tight lines!!

Offline mikerudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Laker Taker
« Reply #2132 on: Jan 22, 2014, 07:15 AM »
Good luck out on the King today! You're going to need the heaters cooking today! :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Mike
Dream Catcher

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2133 on: Jan 22, 2014, 07:49 AM »
hey baitbox? 11 lakers through one hole! what type of jig setup were you using.
Grubber to bad you can't get a serious answer. All the guy asked was what kind of set up he was using and everyone think's that's a wrong question. Nice guys make him feel at home. ::)

Offline jeep528

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2134 on: Jan 22, 2014, 09:08 AM »
Grubber to bad you can't get a serious answer. All the guy asked was what kind of set up he was using and everyone think's that's a wrong question. Nice guys make him feel at home. ::)

Personally I like Cabela's RealImage Jig-n-spoon in SHAD and size depends on the fishing action.  They are currently on sale 1.86-2.76   

Offline lockdown199

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life to the fullest
« Reply #2135 on: Jan 22, 2014, 09:14 AM »
Well, was it any good?  For perch, that is.
I brought home 10 all between 9-10 in. Also caught a lot of dinks so it took awhile to get those 10.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2136 on: Jan 22, 2014, 09:23 AM »
A jig pole, line, lure. For all we know bait box sent him a detailed pm.   Multiple lakers come from  many set ups.  This thread has 100 pages of info that I'm confident a kid could comprehend what works.  Read back especially if a guy specifically tells you the info is here.  Not only does the entire site hold the answers but this thread in its self, could sell as a lake George lake trout jigging manual.  It's an open book test yet some get discouraged that they are asked to spend time looking through this site for the answer.  Thing is grubber understands I bet, it's the ones that don't get the desired conclusion that chime in, usually to whine about not getting spoon fed..   I did 25 one hole same area as bait box. 12 on a rainbow buckshot. I'm not saying what the others  came on. Why?  So they get to look at something different that works.  And to ensure the lurkers don't rush out and buy them out. I don't work for a bait shop, no need to advertise hot lures.

so I missed it. What jig's are you using again??  :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2137 on: Jan 22, 2014, 09:29 AM »
Oh the dramas. Love it. You going this weekend andrew?

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2138 on: Jan 22, 2014, 09:37 AM »
Oh the dramas. Love it. You going this weekend andrew?

No. I have been home all week with a bug that has had me laying on the couch, puking my brains out with uncontrollable shakes, sweats and sore muscles. Just starting to recover now but in 3 days the most I could hold down was a bowl of soup. Going to wait until next weekend to get back out. I just got a new fish finder too, so no more broken transducer that was "brand new".

I do want to get back out with you guys for real next time tho. We kind of ventured off, looking for deeper water in hopes of fishing blind to find a bite. I am anxious to see if Pilots knob locks up this week.

Offline icedpapermouth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2139 on: Jan 22, 2014, 10:58 AM »
 :'( Great now he is going to catch ALL the fish.   ;D

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #2140 on: Jan 22, 2014, 11:02 AM »
and i havent used a spoon on lake george in 2 years  ;)   They would bite a stick if you could wiggle it right  ;D

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2141 on: Jan 22, 2014, 11:06 AM »
No. I have been home all week with a bug that has had me laying on the couch, puking my brains out with uncontrollable shakes, sweats and sore muscles. Just starting to recover now but in 3 days the most I could hold down was a bowl of soup. Going to wait until next weekend to get back out. I just got a new fish finder too, so no more broken transducer that was "brand new".

I do want to get back out with you guys for real next time tho. We kind of ventured off, looking for deeper water in hopes of fishing blind to find a bite. I am anxious to see if Pilots knob locks up this week.

Same bug I had man bad stuff. Get well bud. Lots of time  left.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2142 on: Jan 22, 2014, 11:09 AM »
No. I have been home all week with a bug

Sucks dude.   Everyone has been getting it.   Seems like its hitting the 20-45 age bracket the worst for some reason.  I was glued to IS and FB and all the other sites when I was down for about 10 days.

Offline Kierran

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • theCTyankee.com
« Reply #2143 on: Jan 22, 2014, 11:48 AM »
The 90'-110' vast featureless flats like the lake has from the base of the drop off at million dollar beach, past Pfathers up to hearthstone and on have plenty of fish, but they ROAM.   ALOT.   The action out there can be killer, but you have to find the fish.   Its not like other parts of the lake where you can go back to one general area and kill them every time.   You need to cover big chunks of water to find the fish.   I usually end up drilling 15-20+ holes when I fish those areas.    Look for multiple fish.  I don't usually fish a hole for more than 10 minutes unless I'm seeing 2-3 fish at a time or the single fish are aggressive, striking fish.    And If you find a school of smelt, alot of times its going to be game on.

Great advice, just wish I had it last Friday!  Monday morning made up for it though, as we didn't need to move much.

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #2144 on: Jan 22, 2014, 11:52 AM »
A jig pole, line, lure. For all we know bait box sent him a detailed pm.   Multiple lakers come from  many set ups.  This thread has 100 pages of info that I'm confident a kid could comprehend what works.  Read back especially if a guy specifically tells you the info is here.  Not only does the entire site hold the answers but this thread in its self, could sell as a lake George lake trout jigging manual.  It's an open book test yet some get discouraged that they are asked to spend time looking through this site for the answer.  Thing is grubber understands I bet, it's the ones that don't get the desired conclusion that chime in, usually to whine about not getting spoon fed..   I did 25 one hole same area as bait box. 12 on a rainbow buckshot. I'm not saying what the others  came on. Why?  So they get to look at something different that works.  And to ensure the lurkers don't rush out and buy them out. I don't work for a bait shop, no need to advertise hot lures.
true story, I have never stepped foot on lake george but I have followed this thread and read every post from the time it started. all the info is in here.. Crap I could probably go down there and jig some up..  ;D but I have to much fun slammin them on tip-ups up here..
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2145 on: Jan 22, 2014, 12:06 PM »
Same bug I had man bad stuff. Get well bud. Lots of time  left.

yup im coming around. Im just glad little man didnt get it nearly as bad as me. He was sick for about a day, then my wife had just aches and pains for a day and then for some reason it exploded on me....and I haven't been sick since I was a little boy.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2146 on: Jan 22, 2014, 12:07 PM »
Sucks dude.   Everyone has been getting it.   Seems like its hitting the 20-45 age bracket the worst for some reason.  I was glued to IS and FB and all the other sites when I was down for about 10 days.

10 days?!? man thats rough!

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #2147 on: Jan 22, 2014, 12:20 PM »
true story, I have never stepped foot on lake george but I have followed this thread and read every post from the time it started. all the info is in here.. Crap I could probably go down there and jig some up..  ;D but I have to much fun slammin them on tip-ups up here..

Caught a good one my self yesterday up here, but i have been to the king and its a different world it seems, i should try out tupper one of these days
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2148 on: Jan 22, 2014, 12:25 PM »
10 days?!? man thats rough!

yeah...it seriously was.  Had to see all the texts from my friends as they caught 10 freakin' million trout on the king there before I could even get out.   Patience was a virtue though.   We hit the lake hard last weekend, and I felt great.

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #2149 on: Jan 22, 2014, 12:45 PM »
Andy your brothers set up put 16 on the ice this morning and my walleye rig got the other 5.    Nice morning to hang in the shanty. 
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline inflatable yeti

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2150 on: Jan 22, 2014, 12:46 PM »
yeah...it seriously was.  Had to see all the texts from my friends as they caught 10 freakin' million trout on the king there before I could even get out.   Patience was a virtue though.   We hit the lake hard last weekend, and I felt great.

to be fair, we only caught like 9,999,999 trout.   No need to exaggerate  ;D
Every minute is to be grasped.
Time waits for nobody.

Offline jon ny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2151 on: Jan 22, 2014, 12:52 PM »

Not to mention last year too much info was given, and the "exaggerated" numbers of lakers.  Now not enough..  ::)
I love clipboard man

Offline jon ny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2152 on: Jan 22, 2014, 01:00 PM »
Oh on another note, I finally ran into and got to say hello to bigredonice for a bit this past weekend.  I felt in the presence of greatness!  Shook his hand, haven't washed it since!  ;D
I love clipboard man

Offline bassinbrian_on_ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lakers are Fun !
« Reply #2153 on: Jan 22, 2014, 01:07 PM »
Looks like i need to load up the car, head north and get in on this so called crazy action  :woot:
Just passing time until spring Stripers !

JJ

« Reply #2154 on: Jan 22, 2014, 01:19 PM »
Just want to note with the very cold temperatures to be sure to get the fish back into the water quickly before they freeze, doesn't take long for the fin tips and eyes to ice up when temps are in the single digits and below. Also try to handle the fish with care, stay away from the gill area and don't squeeze too much near the head and belly. Instead of holding them vertically for a picture, it is better for the fish to cradle them with two hands and squeeze only around the tail if needed. I've seen damaged gill plates on fish that were held by them, the tissue wasn't meant to support the weight of the whole fish there; and studies have shown that the spine gets damaged when they are held by the lip and start to thrash around. They may swim away but will die afterwards but there is no way of knowing about it.

Of course this is only for fish you intend to release, do what you want with keepers.  ;D There are plenty of lakers to go around and it won't hurt to remove some, the best eating fish are the smaller ones. Consider letting the larger fish(28"+) go so we can all have a chance at some bigger fish, would be nice to see more 15-20 pounders around. @)

Not picking on anyone in particular and don't want anyone to feel the need to get defensive, just trying to pass on what I have learned so we can all enjoy this resource. Curious what others have to add, thanks.

Fishmon

« Reply #2155 on: Jan 22, 2014, 01:27 PM »
If you intend to release the laker, try removing hook while fish is still in hole.  I changed out most of my treble hooks to single hooks on my jigs and you can pop the hook out quickly with a pair of pliers or forceps.  A friend of mine is really good at doing this and he shamed me into doing it. Never had to touch the fish and keeps you hands a lot warmer and drier.  Give it a try.  Takes a little practice.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lakers are Fun !
« Reply #2156 on: Jan 22, 2014, 01:28 PM »
Great info Capt  :thumbsup:

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2157 on: Jan 22, 2014, 01:31 PM »
Oh on another note, I finally ran into and got to say hello to bigredonice for a bit this past weekend.  I felt in the presence of greatness!  Shook his hand, haven't washed it since!  ;D

It was great to finally meet you in person.  Next time we gotta get some fishing in together!  and be honest, you never wash your hands anyway  :P

to be fair, we only caught like 9,999,999 trout.   No need to exaggerate  ;D

Yeah, hey at least you finally broke into double digits  :o ::)

Thanks for chiming in JJ.   Good to hear from someone that is on the water almost every day, all four seasons.   See many loons out there this year?   I'm sure we'll meet up on the ice again this year.

If you intend to release the laker, try removing hook while fish is still in hole.  I changed out most of my treble hooks to single hooks on my jigs and you can pop the hook out quickly with a pair of pliers or forceps.  A friend of mine is really good at doing this and he shamed me into doing it. Never had to touch the fish and keeps you hands a lot warmer and drier.  Give it a try.  Takes a little practice.

Great tip here, Fishmon.     I wanted to add that sometimes when the fishing is hot, I will even crimp the barb down on my hook.  you can then pull em' up to the hole, get a good look, and drop some slack if its not picture worthy, they pop right off, and when its crazy sometimes I can get my lure down there and have another one hooked before the released fish gets back down to the bottom.   No matter what though, its tough to avoid the stink of lakers on your bibs after a long weekend of catching.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lakers are Fun !
« Reply #2158 on: Jan 22, 2014, 01:37 PM »
No matter what though, its tough to avoid the stink of lakers on your bibs after a long weekend of catching.

Yes in deed, and having a wagon i learned the hard way ... DON'T leave your gear in the car until next day after you get back home, remove asap.   :sick:
Stink logs LOL !

JJ

« Reply #2159 on: Jan 22, 2014, 01:43 PM »
Nice post Fishmon.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.