Author Topic: fall trout highlights  (Read 7080 times)

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
fall trout highlights
« on: Oct 25, 2004, 02:04 PM »

Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

grumpymoe

Re: fall trout highlights
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2004, 02:53 PM »
Beauties MeadowPikeman!!! and i have to agree...awesome pics too!!!...keep em coming and nice to have you aboard....Grump :o

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Waiting for the Annual trip up North
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2004, 02:57 PM »
Man, those are some colorful trout. I wish we had some like that around my area.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2004, 03:38 PM »
those sure are some beautiful trout MPMAN nice pics and i also wish out4trout had them like that in his neck of the woods!! ;)2

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2004, 05:02 PM »
here's some more from this year

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2004, 06:01 PM »
I don't see anything.

You should come on over to myfishfinder.com, a site made by the same guy that made this one. It is iceshanty without the ice.

You can post your pics in the picture section there, as well as check out some other pics. ( If you wanna see some of my trout pics, look at TroutFishingBear's 2004 Trout of Fame for pictures from 2002-2004. Slipbob also has his walleye chronicles from a bunch of his walleyes this year, jigwiggler has a picture thread, and many others have picture threads.)

Hope you can get these pics working!!! On either here or mff would be fun to see!
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2004, 06:10 PM »
its working for now i think problems at sharemation.com

Offline Spicoli

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2004, 12:48 PM »
Those are really nice fish MP, very nicely colored.

Offline flagrunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 26, 2004, 02:08 PM »
Nice fish,you gotta let us know where you live.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 26, 2004, 05:51 PM »
Those are some beautiful trout. I have only caught a couple brookies ever like that. The last trout on the bottom of the first set of pics looks more like a splake than a brookie. Is that a splake? I catch a lot of big rainbows and browns but rarely any brookies like that. My all time biggest brookie is a 19", 3 1/4 pounder that is about as big as one of the smaller ones on those pics. All around gorgeous fish. Too bad my lake trout lakes don't have bonus brookies like that. I bet they could if the CDOW managed fish correctly though.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 26, 2004, 06:07 PM »
Those are some great brook trout!!! Looks like in one of the pics ya got a good rainbow too. Where I live there are only a couple places to get brookies that average anything but about 12" and those are leon lake and lake fork of the gunnison river. At leon they average about 15" and at the lake fork of the gunnison river they average about 18". (fishing at both can be fairly slow and tough!!!) I've never got a brookie over about 21", which I caught in a little oxbow/backwater on the lake fork of the gunnison river.

Those are some great fish for sure!!! Those are the fattest brookies I have ever seen!
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 27, 2004, 11:39 AM »
Nice fish MeadowPikeman.  Very pretty colors...

Why not register and join www.myfishfinder.com and share these pics with the open water community as well?  They would add a nice touch to the MFF pictures board.
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 28, 2004, 12:24 AM »
hate to break it too you guys but none of these are brookies, sorry. all the brightly colored ones are male splake in full "spawning" color for more of my pics just check out my  photo album at westerncanadafishing.n et. so no these are stocked fish in fairly small lakes and not really huge for splake as a lot of fish up tp 15lbs are taken around here every year, but they do look very nice this time pf year. these fish are all caught in t he lakes around meadow lake saskatchewan

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 28, 2004, 05:02 PM »
Yeah splake are cool. There are a few splake on the mesa in a few lakes, but their population shrinks every year because they haven't been stocked by the cdow for a long time. Island lake, a lake I plan to icefish for splake, brookies, and rainbows this winter, holds the world record splake at 21 lbs. I think.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #14 on: Oct 28, 2004, 05:08 PM »
That surprises me that all of them are splake, I thought only the bottom one was. I guess they look more like brookies when they are in there spawning colors than lake trout. I would love to pull one up through the ice though, it would be awesome.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 29, 2004, 11:25 PM »
heres some more splake for yoy guys

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #16 on: Oct 30, 2004, 04:03 AM »
holy footballs batman!!! :o those splake are FAT!!and i dont mean PHAT i mean FAT!!!

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Waiting for the Annual trip up North
« Reply #17 on: Oct 30, 2004, 04:57 PM »
Man, I am just shaking my head, I wish we had ones like that around here. Those are beautiful fish. You are one lucky guy MPMan! Keep catching em and keep the pics coming.  :thumbsup:

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 31, 2004, 08:06 PM »
Hey meadowpikeman, do you catch those things through the ice? If so, we got a couple of lakes around here  that have those, and I would like to know what locations you find them in and what you use.

Thanks for any help.

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 31, 2004, 10:03 PM »
we do a fair amount of ice fishing for splake especially the first couple months of ice. they tend to lean more towards brookie habits as most of the fishing we do is in shallow water 1-15ft. early in the day seems the best usually but sometimes can get a hot bite at sundown. the majority of my fish have come on jigs , very small jigs like 1/16 or 1/32 ounce, i really like the very small whistler jigs as they fall slow and the fish seem to like em. usually i go with a hot pink or chartruese single 1 inch tail. sometimes i tip them with a small chunk of minnow. light line seems to help a lot as well. we fish with 4 lb test in the winter as the water is gin clear and the fish can be quite line shy at times. i have often tried bigger jigs and spoons like northland jigging spoons and tube jigs but the fish will come up and circle the bait but won't strike and usually a small offering will do the trick even for larger splake.

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 31, 2004, 10:11 PM »
here's some pics from oct 31. some lakes were froze over on the way out.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 01, 2004, 05:19 PM »
Nice fish once again mp! Thanks for the help with ice splake. I too am a finess fisherman through the ice and in open water. The only fish I'm really not finess for is rainbow trout and brown trout. I would've thought splake would've liked medium size like 2.5" tubes, but then again I hear they are smarter than most trout. Do you tip with sucker meat?

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 01, 2004, 05:27 PM »
you re are right about splake being tough to catch especially in open water and in later in the ice season, i just tip with a chunk of frozen minnow but a small peice of sucker meat would probably work just as well just keep it small, or a small piece of smelt. a 2.5 " tube might work but i would opt for smaller bqits if you could find a 1.5 or 2 inch tube like a panfish tube this would proably work well. good luck for splake IFB!! may we have ice soon! PS its awesome to catch them at first ice in shallow water as littler as 8" of water under a few inches of ice. look for rocky drop offs from 4 down to 15 feet. or any area where thet may have tried to spawn this time of year is oftne good at first ice.

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 01, 2004, 06:55 PM »
yeah i have found the same with lakers we use fairly small jigs 1/4 ounce to 1/2 ounce not your standard summer fare of 1 to 3 ounces. a guy i fish with has caught lakers pushing 40 lbs on smallish jigs like that tipped with a frozen spotail shiner. (mind you he caught one that was in the 50's this summer i'll try to get a picture of that one to post). a lot of good walleye around here but they are heavily pressured in many lakes if you drive 3 hrs or so fishing gets pretty nuts, on the churchill system guys switch the crank on their spinning reels cause their rod hand gets tired, 100 fish days are fairly common especially in the spring on this system, dillon river is a 2.5 hr drive and similar fishing but don't need a boat a day filled with 4-8lb walleye is typical in jully and early august. a good number of lakes hold trophies in our area, a freind of mine pulled 13 through the ice a couple seasons ago. but a lot of the better walleye fishing in Saskatchewan in found in the southern resevoirs and lakes like Diefenbaker, Rafferty, Tobin, Alameda etc the southern eyes grow big and faster. i seemed to do less walleye fishing this year than in others fished a lot of trout lakers, splake, brookies, browns etc. i like the fight they bring. a good smattering of perch lakes all over around meadow lake and some true trophy perch chances a fish up to or even possibly over 3lbs is not out of the question if you work at as i am going to this winter really want to break that 2lb mark i know i have seen them sight fishing in shallow water but as we all know seeing is not catching. a freind of mine got 7 over two lbs two winters ago, hopefully this winter we can pattern some big ones and hit em hard.

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 01, 2004, 08:30 PM »
i might go for a drive tommorow ( and check for ice froming) ten days i figure and we'll hit the small lakes through the ice.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 02, 2004, 12:31 PM »
yeah i have found the same with lakers we use fairly small jigs 1/4 ounce to 1/2 ounce not your standard summer fare of 1 to 3 ounces. a guy i fish with has caught lakers pushing 40 lbs on smallish jigs like that tipped with a frozen spotail shiner. (mind you he caught one that was in the 50's this summer i'll try to get a picture of that one to post). a lot of good walleye around here but they are heavily pressured in many lakes if you drive 3 hrs or so fishing gets pretty nuts, on the churchill system guys switch the crank on their spinning reels cause their rod hand gets tired, 100 fish days are fairly common especially in the spring on this system, dillon river is a 2.5 hr drive and similar fishing but don't need a boat a day filled with 4-8lb walleye is typical in jully and early august. a good number of lakes hold trophies in our area, a freind of mine pulled 13 through the ice a couple seasons ago. but a lot of the better walleye fishing in Saskatchewan in found in the southern resevoirs and lakes like Diefenbaker, Rafferty, Tobin, Alameda etc the southern eyes grow big and faster. i seemed to do less walleye fishing this year than in others fished a lot of trout lakers, splake, brookies, browns etc. i like the fight they bring. a good smattering of perch lakes all over around meadow lake and some true trophy perch chances a fish up to or even possibly over 3lbs is not out of the question if you work at as i am going to this winter really want to break that 2lb mark i know i have seen them sight fishing in shallow water but as we all know seeing is not catching. a freind of mine got 7 over two lbs two winters ago, hopefully this winter we can pattern some big ones and hit em hard.

you are lucky you have such fishing variety. We have one good walleye lake in our area for numbers and a bit of size, but the city decided to close it for ice fishing for fear a couple of anglers a day(its walk in) would contaminate it. We would have another walleye reservoir about an hour away, it still has huge walleyes that average 26"+ from what I've heard but they are tough to come by because of mismanagement by Colorado Division of Wildlife. We have one huge crappie lake about 20 min away but sometimes it doesn't freeze in the winter. We also have 3 lakes that have splake up on the mesa but CDOW mismanages the mesa too and most of the fish are stocker rainbows in the 8-11" range when the fisheries all have the makings for a bunch of trophies. We have 3 great lake trout lakes; reudi 30 fish days are  common with 20 pound fish possible, taylor 10 fish days are common with bigger fish sometimes possible, and blue mesa the average is 2-6 fish but they average  8lbs. plus and it pumps out 40 pounders all the time. We also have a few lakes that the pike are just monstrous in, but since CDOW hates pike and they go through lakes gill netting, shocking, and euthanizing all pike, the fishing isn't that good for them at all. The no bag limit hurts too. Must they manage all warm water fisheries for stocker diseased rainbows??? But most of our fishing is for big rainbows and browns on the colorado river, which doesn't freeze in the winter.
I sure wish we had your variety in the area mpman, you and most people on this site have no idea how lucky they are having the USFWS managing fisheries properly instead of killing all good fish like they do around here. And I guess in your case not having the USFWS helps a lot too ;)

Good luck icefishing!!!

nutswife

« Reply #26 on: Nov 03, 2004, 08:22 AM »
WOW great fish and great pics.... ;)

Sally

Offline Hookset

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't eat the yellow snow!
« Reply #27 on: Nov 04, 2004, 02:21 PM »
Those are probably the most brilliant, vibrantly colored fish I have ever seen.  You must be surrounded by pristine waters because they look like the product of a phenomenally healthy environment.  Great fish, great pics and continued great luck.  Tight lines.
We don't own nature, nature owns us.

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 04, 2004, 05:44 PM »
what is great about splake is the growth rates only two winters ago the dominate year classes in that lake were small fish under one pound now less than two years later a good number are over 4lbs so 3 or more pounds growth in 2 years.

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #29 on: Nov 11, 2004, 12:37 PM »
In upper michigan, we have a few lakes that are open for winter splake fishing. To my knowledge, it's the only trout you can take through the ice in michigan. We dont grow them like that though..the largest i've personally gotten was around 15". And they dont color loke those. They are, however, very easy to catch....it's a shame that they are so fragile. The seem to die frequently even with a clean hookset.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.