Author Topic: New Tip-Ups  (Read 2297 times)

Offline glazier

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "my 2nd favorite hole is in the ice"
New Tip-Ups
« on: Feb 15, 2014, 05:19 PM »
Just popped the box open. Two Red/Orange 36" Heritage Laker tip-ups.Never had the pleasure to use this type with the spring. Feel like a kid with a christmas gift. :tipup: :tipup: Happy there is still time to put them to use. ;D

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
Re: New Tip-Ups
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2014, 05:21 PM »
That's sweet. I have four Heritages. I love them. Can't beat their visibility.
Marking anything?

Offline RIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • the tank!!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2014, 06:00 PM »
.  These are my 10 yr + old Heritages with metal spools ,  I just bought my 11 yr old her own 5 . My opinion there the best out there.
How are the edges ?

Offline CHEPIGUY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • gimme back that fillet o fish
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2014, 06:04 PM »
sweetness
Chepi

Offline comeonnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2014, 06:22 PM »
Good luck with your new best friends.  :)

Offline glazier

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2014, 06:30 PM »
(Image removed from quote.).  These are my 10 yr + old Heritages with metal spools ,  I just bought my 11 yr old her own 5 . My opinion there the best out there.
From the pics that have been posted along the responses, appears these tips are a good choice. always good to have feedback.Ha comeonnow thanks. Your too funny.!

Offline redhornet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2014, 08:38 PM »
Nice, and so is the Colorado cool aid!

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2014, 08:56 PM »
Nice, and so is the Colorado cool aid!

Coors Diet
Marking anything?

Offline RIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • the tank!!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2014, 10:21 PM »
It keeps my slim figure  :roflmao:
How are the edges ?

Offline glazier

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2014, 06:29 AM »
That's sweet. I have four Heritages. I love them. Can't beat their visibility.
The reels have mechanical drag on them(friggin fancy) Ha.

Offline Pikeanator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing is not a sport-"its a way of life"
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2014, 08:58 AM »
Where did you find the large size flags? I could use some of those with my aging eyesight..
 ;D
It keeps my slim figure  :roflmao:

Offline RIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • the tank!!!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2014, 06:51 PM »
I got flags at Kittery Trading Post many years ago
How are the edges ?

Offline ice warrior

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2014, 08:17 AM »
  good traps Ive had mine for a long long time  @)

Offline glazier

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 19, 2014, 08:22 AM »
I got flags at Kittery Trading Post many years ago
I bought the tip-ups online from Kittery Trading Post. They sell the replacements flags also.

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2014, 09:24 AM »
I bought the tip-ups online from Kittery Trading Post. They sell the replacements flags also.

I love that store. That's where I got my signature Mad Bomber hat.
Marking anything?

Offline Dankenstein

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 2014, 09:58 AM »
I just started using these traps this year.  I was using pond traps in the past, size wise I like my old ones, but visibility you can't beat the heritage lakers. I will be using them from now on.

Offline glazier

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 19, 2014, 10:18 AM »
I just started using these traps this year.  I was using pond traps in the past, size wise I like my old ones, but visibility you can't beat the heritage lakers. I will be using them from now on.
I don't like the reels on my pond tilts. What they use on the reel to trip the mechanism for the flag to pop is crap. After a lot of use that piece that is punched out of the metal reel breaks off.Then there is no way to pop the flag.Just poor design.

Offline pascoag icefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 19, 2014, 11:04 AM »
I don't like the reels on my pond tilts. What they use on the reel to trip the mechanism for the flag to pop is crap. After a lot of use that piece that is punched out of the metal reel breaks off.Then there is no way to pop the flag.Just poor design.
the same thing happened to my reels.I put a short bolt through the hole it works better then the punch out ever did.

Offline Dankenstein

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 19, 2014, 02:31 PM »

I would be willing to agree and could see how these could fail.  Although I inherited my pond traps from my uncle, I assume they are 30 years old. Of all other traps I have used I never have a doubt that they will trip smooth and every time. I do take the time to go over them before every trip, and thanks for the heads up, I never considered the punch out could be a problem. Like I said I am now onto heritage so I really won't have to worry about the pond traps for myself.  I guess the manufacturer of the pond trap could make a difference in quality.

the biggest complaint about the lakers is the quality of wood used, for the price the wood could be better

Offline glazier

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 19, 2014, 04:06 PM »
the same thing happened to my reels.I put a short bolt through the hole it works better then the punch out ever did.
That saves the reel from being tossed. Great idea!I've used a pan head machine screw with the nut on the trip side. Then use fly fishing "knot glue" to cover the head of the screw. The glue tends to smooth out the exit and retrieve of the line over the screw head :tipup: :tipup:.

Offline Bassman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ FLAG-UP ~
« Reply #20 on: Feb 20, 2014, 09:11 AM »
That saves the reel from being tossed. Great idea!I've used a pan head machine screw with the nut on the trip side. Then use fly fishing "knot glue" to cover the head of the screw. The glue tends to smooth out the exit and retrieve of the line over the screw head :tipup: :tipup:.

I've got two of my tip-ups rigged that way. I find that they don't bend out of position and you can adjust them to
trip perfectly. I figure that drilling all the way thru the reel and using a long sheet metal screw may also do the trick.
Mike & Otis the sled dog

Offline Jig for a Pig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 20, 2014, 01:45 PM »
I had the same problem with one of my old tilts.
To fix the problem simply punch a new triangle out of the metal spool and you're good to go.
Mine has worked fine now for the last 5 years.
Hope everyone has a chance to get out there this weekend, gonna be NIIIIIICE out.

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
« Reply #22 on: Feb 20, 2014, 06:48 PM »
(Image removed from quote.).  These are my 10 yr + old Heritages with metal spools ,  I just bought my 11 yr old her own 5 . My opinion there the best out there.

Looks great get rid of the diet beer.
Mr.Esox

Offline 6inBlackice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 22, 2014, 10:41 AM »
Heritage Traps are a good trap(I do own some), but I found one that's even better!!  Indian Hill Traps, bought mine from a bait shop in Arlington, Mass or order on line.  Powder coated reel w/adjustable drag, center stick can be stained with a color and the flag comes in many colors as well.  I have been very happy with these traps, performed flawlessly even in the near zero temps in the north country.  A bit pricey, but its a trap the great-grand kids will use!!  Adult beverages not included with purchase.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.