Author Topic: Glen Elder Ice reports  (Read 8335 times)

Offline KsIcer

• IceShanty Rookie
Glen Elder Ice reports
« on: Dec 28, 2014, 01:13 PM »
Let's see your pics from Glen Elder...
"I've spent most of my life fishing.....the rest I've wasted. Lifes too short to only fish on weekends."

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Glen Elder Ice reports
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2014, 08:33 AM »
Starting a thread for ice conditions and fishing reports. Kansas is a small state and does get a lot of pressure but I don't want to turn this into a "tight lipped" forum. I want it to help out guys around the state, because as far as I can tell there is no ice report from anywhere else.

Offline lovetofishnow

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Glen Elder Ice reports
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2014, 09:58 AM »
Hey ksgoosekillr,

Is there anyway that you can check the ice report on Glen Elder?  I hate to drive 6 hours to there and find no ice.  Thanks

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2014, 10:05 AM »
out of all the lakes its the only one I don't have a first hand report from

Offline jordy1380

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2015, 09:37 PM »
I was hoping to go out there tomorrow but don't want to drive to find poor ice. I read the gnp website and on the 30th theyou said boilers point was 2-3". Called the bait shop today and they said some people were fishing on the ice close to shore but didn't know how close or what area of the causeway.
Get Yo Fish On!

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2015, 11:57 AM »
Was told with the snow to wait 5-6days....good buddy has a house/cabin there
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2015, 08:34 AM »
fished glen three days straight. ice WAS anywhere from 4.5 to 7.5" thick depending on where you fished. BITE WAS EXTREMELY SLOW FOR CRAPPIE, the fish were there and would follow you up out of the brush, but no takers. Im not sure if the numbers are down or the fish are not turned on yet or what the deal was, odd for first ice bite. The whites and wipers were a different story. We limited on wipers and took home a truckload of whites all three days.

north brush pile 4 1/2" thick
south brush pile 4 1/2" thick
west river channel 4" thick
under the causeway 6 1/2-7 1/2" thick
refuge line 3 1/2 thick

this was on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd. the temps last night pry added some ice I don't know what they got for snow as it didn't hit until sat night.

Offline bluejays14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2015, 04:06 PM »
Thanks for the report.  I have never caught wipers and have never caught whites through the ice.  Do you use the same technique for them as you do for crappies?  Or do you specifically target them differently?

Offline lovetofishnow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2015, 11:01 AM »
Thanks KSGoosekillr for the report and I hope that no one will give you lips for reporting ice condition and don't stop posting (some people are very tight lips about those lakes).  Did you have to use 6 or larger pound test line for whites and wipers, would 4 lbs test line hold up for wipers?

Offline Hdrk77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2015, 11:48 AM »
I was on glen elder yesterday, ice was good 4-6 inch west of the causeway. took home 2 crappie 26 white bass one walleye and 4 wipers, between two of us.  caught about 2 dozen more whites and wipers that we turned back.!!!!

Offline jordy1380

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2015, 11:55 AM »
Would you just use ice spoons for the whites or are you using tube jigs like fishing for crappie?
Get Yo Fish On!

Offline CaptainT16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2015, 12:05 PM »
Sounds like a fun trip.  Glen is the only place here in KS that I've caught a walleye through the ice.  Was a short, but still fun to catch one through the ice. 

Offline Hdrk77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2015, 03:55 PM »
Caught the whites and wipers on spoons and on 1/8 oz roadrunners with white twister tails. Pink heads

Offline GRIZZ08

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2015, 08:21 AM »
how thick is the ice down there?  it should be pretty good with the weather pattern we are in.  I will be down there Saturday and sunday looking for them crappies!!!
some days I can drink a lot of beer and other days only a case

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2015, 08:53 AM »
^^^^ good luck, all those years of 50 fish/day and changing the limit WAY too late has the numbers down BIG TIME, I think the most crappie I have seen in one picture was 7 this year. Id suggest brining along plenty of spoons you will find out why pretty quick when you see the crowd.

Offline CaptainT16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2015, 09:10 AM »
Yeah, unfortunately those great crappie catching days are in the past from what I have seen too.  I couldn't agree more with what Goose said.  The way that place was hammered for years and then establishing the 20 fish limit too late, took a toll on the numbers.  Still love catching the big whites though!

Offline Rope

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2015, 11:53 AM »
You guys must not remember.......in the older days, that's what WAS caught @ the forks. Whites
Freedom is NOT free...

Offline ksfowler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2015, 04:02 PM »
Any reports from the last couple days? Im thinking about making a trip up there monday and was wondering if the whites are still biting??

Offline Rope

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2015, 07:30 PM »
My cousin from Nebraska fished there today, and said it was slow.
Freedom is NOT free...

Offline sdhuntandfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2015, 08:44 PM »
Just got home from 2 days on the ice. I see a lot of complaining about the slow crappie bite on Glen. We found it to be the exact opposite. I've ice fished Glen quite a bit over the past 5-6 years. It boggles my mind how people just pile on top of each other and sit there without moving. We watched as group after group after group fished on top of each other, not marking or catching anything. People, you can't catch fish that aren't below you. We found our crappies relating to the channel ledges, not brush. We also fished in our shacks so the zillion people wouldn't see us catching fish. People drove ATV's and walked right by us, drawn to the giant groups of guys catching squat.  ::)

Our keepers ranged from 11"-15". Nice fish as always. There may not be the numbers of the past few years, but there are still quality fish in Glen. You need to search out fish, continuing to move until you see them on the flasher. As usual, the fine folks in Downs were very hospitable and friendly. Enjoyed our visit to the Sunflower State.  ;)

Andy

Offline bluejays14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2015, 06:11 PM »
Thanks for that perspective Andy.

I'm wondering what everyone thinks regarding the upcoming weather.  Do you believe we will still have fishable ice at Glen Elder this weekend?  I planned on making a trip there.  I figure as long as the wind doesn't pick up too much and the temps stay low at night we should be able to get one more weekend out of it....at least I'm hoping so!  What do you all think?

Offline CaptainT16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 12, 2015, 07:38 PM »
I'm thinking Fri/Sat would be okay, but I think Sunday would be very questionable.  Looking at the temps and it being sunny and probably breezy, will eat that ice right up. Sure wish it would last a bit longer.

Offline GB 83

• Team IceShanty Regular
Glen Elder soft ice? Looking for someone to fish with in my airboat
« Reply #22 on: Jan 14, 2015, 02:25 PM »
I am looking for someone to icefish with this fri or Saturday the 16/17.I haven't had that much luck out there. I have a mini airboat. It's a 12' with a 160hp. I been on 1-1.5" of good ice with it. I figured the edges will be gone and the middle soft. 2 guys can icefish easy out of it. I was looking to fish for white crappies. So if so one out there wants to icefish "safely " this wknd and knows the lake much better than I. Send me a PM or call or text me at 913/620-0407

Offline sdhuntandfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Please be careful. Kansas ice is nothing to take lightly. A guy went through in a Wilcraft last week and needed to be rescued by the Sheriff Dept.

With temps in the 50's and 60's forecasted for the weekend, anyone attempting to ice fish the main lake is plain foolish. There was already a ton of open water last week when it was actually cold.

The west end of the Cawker City causeway had 8-9" last weekend. That's where I would stick to if I was fishing in 65 degree weather.

Be careful folks!  :o

Offline GB 83

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks sdhuntandfish, yes gray, soft ice isn't something to mess with for sure. If you don't have the rt stuff. Growing up on the Mississippi River. The airboat was and still is the only way to go from open water to slush to ice. That's why when people fall in....they come get you in an airboat. This one I had custom built with higher walls for more safety. Also the 160hp, gives me the power to get me back up and on top of the slush or thin ice. With the big footprint of the the hull, it's only a 1/3 of a lb per sq inch. When on soft ice you fish rt out of the boat you don't walk on ice.

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks sdhuntandfish, yes gray, soft ice isn't something to mess with for sure. If you don't have the rt stuff. Growing up on the Mississippi River. The airboat was and still is the only way to go from open water to slush to ice. That's why when people fall in....they come get you in an airboat. This one I had custom built with higher walls for more safety. Also the 160hp, gives me the power to get me back up and on top of the slush or thin ice. With the big footprint of the the hull, it's only a 1/3 of a lb per sq inch. When on soft ice you fish rt out of the boat you don't walk on ice.

Cecil went thru the ice in that thing? where did he go in at?

Offline CaptainT16

• IceShanty Rookie
Cecil is the one with that huh?  Glad to hear he got out okay. 

Offline GB 83

• Team IceShanty Regular
He went through the ice in an airboat? Or wilco?

Offline sdhuntandfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Yeah, Cecil.

On the main lake out of the state park. He was fine in the wilcraft, just stranded.

Offline GB 83

• Team IceShanty Regular
We never saw the wilcraft on the river. Not sure if they have the HP to get you out of trouble. I love my airboat for safety. I seen trucks, cars, atv with tracks and snowmobile fall threw the ice. Just have to be smart on the ice. Alway looking for danger if not it will bite ya in the butt.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.