New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Bonds Lake, Niagara County  (Read 5768 times)

Offline brettmcghee

• IceShanty Rookie
Bonds Lake, Niagara County
« on: Jan 30, 2007, 09:15 PM »
 Does anyone know if there is good icefishing on Bonds Lake? What species are in there?
Brett

Offline mikess

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Bonds Lake, Niagara County
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2007, 09:30 PM »
where is this bond lake located i live in lockport

Offline brettmcghee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2007, 09:35 PM »
 It is on Lower Mtn. Road in Sanborn. I know alot of people fish for Bass and Bluegill from the shore as there is no boat launch. Not sure what you could catch from the ice in deeper water? I believe it is a County Park.
Brett

Offline mikess

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2007, 09:37 PM »
thanks still have no idea where it would be but ill try for more info.

Offline Mountaineer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2007, 08:10 AM »
BOND LAKE PARK and NATURE CENTER
2571 Lower Mountain Road
Ransomville, New York    14131
731-3256

Niagara County Park

Bass and panfish.  The pond is very shallow with the max depth of probably 8 feet out in the middle. I have never ice fished, but in the summer, the pond has lots of weeds and you have to wade out or take a canoe out towards the middle to get some action.

Not sure how the safe the ice is.  I have a pond behind my house ( in Amherst) and I have about 2 inches of frozen slush, and 2.5 inches of solid ice underneath. The snow has been slowing down the ice making.

Offline spike38

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2007, 09:11 AM »
 Although I have never icefished these ponds I have often thought about it as these are my home ponds practically in my back yard. The front pond, (Bonds Lake) is in the park and has numerous blue gills , bass, and northerns aplenty. This pond is shallow and very weedy except for a stretch in the extreme back. This pond is the worst of the three . If you drive to the extreme back of the park road and walk 10 feet you will find Meyers lake. This pond until two or three years ago was a private rod and gun club and therefore wasn't fished much. This pond holds EXTREMELY large bass, and many,many, northerns...too many in fact. If you ice fish it I would say try along Bird crap Island in the main lake and definately "the cove" right behind this island. This is the spot four years ago I caught a prespawn bass of an estimated 7-11 lbs. (I'm not joking) I have also caught numerous hammer handles around this Island. If you continue to the west of this pond, sort of abutting the indian reservation you will find West Meyers lake. This pond is the best of the three holding, bluegills,bass, northerns,and crappies. I have caught many giant largemouths in this pond over the years and some very nice northerns. Once my son and I caught 9 northerns and 7 bass in three hours of fishing and during this outing we both seen a northern of an estimated 3-4 feet in length chasing in my bill dance shallow runner. Go all the way to the back bay until you see the shell of an old burned out stolen truck in the woods. There is a huge ledge running along here which is where all these fish were either caught or spotted. I've looked down in the water along this rock ledge and it was covered with crayfish. If you do go to this pond please be careful as the native americans like to use this as an impromptu shooting range for all kinds of weapons. My son and I have had to duck numerous times behind rocks to avoid everything from flying shotgun shells to uzi rounds. (NO JOKE)
I wouldn't definately say you will be surprised if you decide to give them a try at the size and quantity of fish in these ponds. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2007, 11:31 AM »
I grew up in Cambria and when I was a kid I used to ride by bike 9 miles to fish at Bonds Lake and Meyers Pond (Meyers Pond has another entrance that has been public for years, if you drive west on Lower Mountain Road past Bonds lake, and turn up the first road that splits off on the left). 

As far as I know, Meyers Pond has always been public. There is a Sportsmans Club right next to Bonds Lake (just to the east of it) that has a few private ponds.  My Dad is a member of that club and shoots there.

Always caught lots of panfish and bass at Bonds Lake and Meyers Pond.  I know there are pike there, but we never really targeted them when I was a kid.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.