New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: where oh where is the good ice  (Read 1816 times)

Offline yearroundfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
where oh where is the good ice
« on: Jan 30, 2007, 01:11 PM »
iv been up and down and all around been ice fishing for 3 weeks and i havent yet found good ice over deep water i need monster perch soon and i hope we all know that the big perch are out west we should all know that but i seem to not know about any sodus is a week away i dont care what anyone has to say about getting out infront of eagle or nework islands because i was there to see it for my self you cant get past 100 yards as of yesterday 17 fow tops if anyone could direct me in the right direction for deep water jumbos i would love it and maybe i could help you find a spot thanxs guys 
Jon Sorendo

Offline BAZOOKAJOE

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: where oh where is the good ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2007, 01:22 PM »
iv been up and down and all around been ice fishing for 3 weeks and i havent yet found good ice over deep water i need monster perch soon and i hope we all know that the big perch are out west we should all know that but i seem to not know about any sodus is a week away i dont care what anyone has to say about getting out infront of eagle or nework islands because i was there to see it for my self you cant get past 100 yards as of yesterday 17 fow tops if anyone could direct me in the right direction for deep water jumbos i would love it and maybe i could help you find a spot thanxs guys 

Just get your snow shovel out and clear sodus bay off, so it freezes better.   :D  I feel your pain..the snow from last night isn't going to help things.  You don't have to be in the deep water to get them  ;).  I've caught 12-14 inchers in 7 fow at sodus...they don't like jigs = tip downs or tip ups w/ minnow on a red circle hook fished on the bottom.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2007, 02:02 PM »
keep your secrets to your self on how to catch'em um i will tell you what when i left sodus last night i didnt want to leave only because it was beutiful out the moon was so bright and the wind wasnt around i dont live up there but i dont think they got a lot of snow cayuga county now got a ton of snow we went off the road little after port bay then when i got into oswego there wasnt anything i believe that the storm went through cayuga and down through hannibal i'll be there again this weekend but no one know where to go for the deep water? hmm oh yeah i also get the big perch in shallow waters but thats not untill march (ice out) sick of the dinks someone help
Jon Sorendo

Offline BAZOOKAJOE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2007, 03:14 PM »
Your welcome...... :cookoo:

...by the way, i've caught all the slobs in shallow water in january-mid feb.  The big ones are finicky....but you already know everything (except how to use commas and periods  >:D), that's why you are asking for help. 

Offline willbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ONTARIO NEW YORK
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2007, 03:38 PM »
keep your secrets to your self on how to catch'em um i will tell you what when i left sodus last night i didnt want to leave only because it was beutiful out the moon was so bright and the wind wasnt around i dont live up there but i dont think they got a lot of snow cayuga county now got a ton of snow we went off the road little after port bay then when i got into oswego there wasnt anything i believe that the storm went through cayuga and down through hannibal i'll be there again this weekend but no one know where to go for the deep water? hmm oh yeah i also get the big perch in shallow waters but thats not untill march (ice out) sick of the dinks someone help

Dude you live in Oswego!! Go north , chaumont, guffin , henderson! Its the same distance as going south to sodus and north has all sorts of GOOD ice!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2007, 07:02 PM »
yeah iv been up there i dont fish for pike nor pike bait. i see that no one knows where to be. i guess there is just no where yet to fish deep. have at those early spawners in the shallows im loking for a bucket full of monsters and i do really beleive they are in the deep waters this time of year.
Jon Sorendo

Offline percheyes42

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2007, 07:42 PM »
That's right where I was catching them 3 days ago. I was in the triangle area of LeRoy, Newark, and Eagle. Like I said in my post, it isn't for the weak of heart. 2 1/2 - 3 inches of ice. I was about 150 yards off of Newark. **** you not.

I have been hunting or fishing almost everyday of my life. The rest have been wasted.

Offline MACK_USCG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout Assassin!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2007, 08:36 PM »
 :o  Jeez alot of anger in here!  Dude the way I see it is you were asking for help and you received it. Although I haven't been on the shanty very long but I do know this; these guys on here are all a bunch of great guys and i've have seen more times than I can count where people have been set up not only with good advice but good locations to boot. Unless you are fishing a small acre pond that someone else is, 9 times out of ten the guys in here will hook you up big time. The bays off Ontario are jam packed with fish so just find a spot and go to it bro.  I was stationed in Oswego and my Chief (who will be running Sodus CG by mid June) always fished off the Coast Guard Station in Sodus down there and caught monster Perch just a 100 yds off the bank. Just be careful of the water right near the jetty walls because of the swell that comes in there . Off Eagle is another hot spot and you might want to give Port Bay a try (hint hint).  The entrance to Port bay is wicked shallow but drops off nicely after 100yds or so. Trust me I have been all over those bays during patrols and payed close attention to the ole depth sounder and there are boo-Kuu honey holes if you can find em. I hope this helps and good luck. I wish I was still stationed there....jeezzzz!!!!!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2007, 09:04 PM »
i do love all the help i can get on this site just dont bash me on here and im all good with talking to everyone. i do post my good days on this site to help out people loking for a place to go. i aspect the same from others all i needed to hear was there isnt any good ice over deep water yet and thats was what i was asking advice for. im really am not a dink and try not to know it all or i wouldnt be on here looking for help. i'll be back up on sodus this weekend and hoping to get out farther off of leroy if anyone has checked it out yet let me know or if anyone has been getting on the ice else where? and finding deep water or consistent big perch.
Jon Sorendo

Offline MACK_USCG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout Assassin!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2007, 06:35 AM »
i do love all the help i can get on this site just dont bash me on here and im all good with talking to everyone. i do post my good days on this site to help out people loking for a place to go. i aspect the same from others all i needed to hear was there isnt any good ice over deep water yet and thats was what i was asking advice for. im really am not a dink and try not to know it all or i wouldnt be on here looking for help. i'll be back up on sodus this weekend and hoping to get out farther off of leroy if anyone has checked it out yet let me know or if anyone has been getting on the ice else where? and finding deep water or consistent big perch.
good luck and enjoy your weekend!

Mack

Offline BAZOOKAJOE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2007, 09:10 AM »
I wasn't trying to sound like a jerk...i just don't personally put myself at a huge risk fishing on the real sketchy ice to catch perch 2 in.s longer.  Those 10-12 in.s taste better anyways.  I know second-hand that newark is a great spot.  Just don't kill all the 15 inch breeders or drown.   8)

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2007, 09:17 AM »
Fished four inches of ice off north shore of oneida got to 36' deep but no perch yet. Maybe this weekend.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2007, 02:31 PM »
thanks mcully ice will be here soon big freeze coming this week
Jon Sorendo

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.