New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: What type auger do you all prefer?????  (Read 6097 times)

Offline JDfish

• IceShanty Rookie
What type auger do you all prefer?????
« on: Jan 29, 2007, 11:17 AM »
Just wondering what type of augers( both hand and power) do you all prefer?  Heard good things about the Nils Master. Just wondering if they are worth the $$$$???

dwayne

Re: What type auger do you all prefer?????
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2007, 11:21 AM »
I use a 6 inch and 8 inch laser and love them both.  A friend on mine was using a nils yesterday and it appeared to be similar in speed to mine.  We were only on 4 inches of ice so I wouldn't say they really could have been compared properly.  That little ice even the blue mora's with a sharp blade can cut through that pretty quickly.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2007, 11:44 AM »
I've got an 8 inch Electric Lazer (battery powered). Works great, very quiet, no gas or oil to deal with, no cord to pull, just flip a switch & push a button & you are drilling. No maintainance needed. Just replace the blades when they get dull (been using mine for two years now, blades still very sharp) and charge it up after each use. And it only cost about $15.00 more than a jiffy when I got it at Gander Mountain near Syracuse. I also had a Mora- didn't like it, stepped up to a Laser Manual, it was good (but, have a bad shoulder, tough to use a manual). Love my electric auger. PLEASE: No puns about the long cord needed. I've heard them all.

Offline kwiky364

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2007, 11:49 AM »
lazers are definetly the way to go

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2007, 12:13 PM »
Do a search and you will find that those that have Nils Augers swear by them, as do I . They are worth every penny.

I have also learned to measure the ice thickness with them. Each turn removes one half inch of ice. example: 10 turns=5"
Pete Lewis

Offline wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Double Stuff Oreos! . . . . . . Got Cookies?
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2007, 12:15 PM »
6" hand Nils for me.  Going into the 4th year and still as sharp as the day I got it with zero sharpening.  When (or should I say if) it ever fails me, I'll buy another in a heartbeat.  I don't see that day coming anytime soon.
"'I ain't broke, but brother, I'm badly bent"- Stiff Dead Cat

MySpace

Offline wildbrookies

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2007, 12:23 PM »
  Have never used nothing else besides my ol`6" Swedish Mora.....have cut through ice up to 2 foot  with it...but, then again,we are always after trout/salmon, so we only drill 7 holes apiece most of the time unless we decide to relocate......can`t beat it if you keep the blades sharp...but, maybe someday I might upgrade to the Lazer ....I`ve had the oppurtunity to cut a few holes with it...it cuts extremely fast and easy for a manual one ;)...I`ll probably upgrade when I get too old to turn the Mora :D ;) ::)

billybono

« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2007, 12:52 PM »
my six inch lazer is on its 7th year with only the second set of blades  :tipup:

and after using the little hand sharpener strikemaster makes, i probably could have saved my first set of blades

billybono

Offline howey1176

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2007, 01:28 PM »
6" Lazer, hand powered.      0-12" ice

"8 Strikemaster power auger.   !2" + ice

It's what I use.

Offline iceguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • nothin like hard h2o
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2007, 01:50 PM »
I've had a spoon-type, then a mora, then a lazer, and now a Nils. All  6 inch..........the lazer was the closest  to the Nils but has a ways to go to top it.   I'll be shopping for a 8" Nils at the end of the season..  There's really no need for a power auger in Upstate New York using a Nils.  Much quieter, lighter, no gas smell on your hands and for running and gunning for perch and walleyes as fast as power. Just my opinion of course!!
guy

Offline wayneo637

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2007, 02:30 PM »
4 inch Fin bore, 6 inch fin bore, and 8 inch strike master strike lite.  That new strike lite is great. Amazing how light it is and its nice not to have to mix gas and oil.  Also a lot quieter than my 3 year old jiffy model 30 which i also still have but have retired to the garage.
WHEN HELL FREEZES OVER I'LL ICE FISH THERE TOO!!

Offline fzgil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2007, 03:12 PM »
5"  Lazer since my 13 y/o started jigging with his own Vex..
6" Mora that has fresh blades but rarely sees the ice...
8" Strikemaster Mag 2000 for making swiss cheese...

Offline Fire~n~Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2007, 04:45 PM »
6" Finn Bore - I swear by it!

Offline mandm1994

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2007, 05:13 PM »
My second year with a jiffy stealth stx 8". My frst gas auger and I love it. Starts every time and cuts very well. Can't really compare it to other gas augers because like I said it's my first gas. Early ice I use a 6 " lazer and that works well too.

Offline IcefishrNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2007, 05:39 PM »
I use an 8 inch Fin-Bore III hand auger, cuts like a dream. Lightweight and folds up nicely.
Glenn

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2007, 05:59 PM »
I use my Nils Master. I love it. You'll find as many different opinions as there are augers, so just go off what you think you'd like to use for how much money you spend.

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2007, 06:05 PM »
I have only one a 6 year old jiffy model 30 and if i can manage to ever kill it I will be looking for the same thing again I just changed the plug this year and it needs new blades but i put it away in the spring everyear the same way i do nothing and it starts when i want it to I probably would prefer a hand auger in the land of thin ice and DEEP snow I have moved to but I like my auger only once it didnt work when i needed it to   (thing may run great  but it still needs gas ::) )

Offline Rangerclay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My fishin' buddies!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 29, 2007, 06:25 PM »
I have an 8" Jiffy gas auger that my family bought in 1980.  It still works like a champ today.

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2007, 06:26 PM »
hand auger. if im by myself this is all i use. its light and easy to use. plus its easy to move around

Offline hwangler001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2007, 06:27 PM »
6 inch Fin-Bore III. lightweight and cuts like a dream

Offline tubby67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Keep it only if your going to eat it"
« Reply #20 on: Jan 29, 2007, 06:28 PM »
I love my 6" Nils I had it for 5 years and replaced the head one time because I let someone borrow it to cut a couple of holes. When I went to use it the next day and tried to cut a hole it just danced on top of the ice >:(  The blades were sharp but the cutting angle was off I think someone slammed it down on the head. The only thing I don't like is the cost of a replacement head. Does anyone know where to get a head at a good price? Or I might just try out a new 6" Strikemaster Lazer that I can get now for $49.99    

Offline willbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ONTARIO NEW YORK
« Reply #21 on: Jan 29, 2007, 06:57 PM »
I have a 3hp jiffy *" and a teenage son that can put anything mechanical to the breaking point! 3 years now and hundreds of holes still running perfect! A little heavy and 2 stroke, but built to last!

Offline Gold Rush

• IceShanty Rookie
  • They don't call it a "bobhouse" for nothing...
« Reply #22 on: Jan 29, 2007, 07:02 PM »
 :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:Jiffy! :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
You can't tell which way the train went by the tracks it left behind.

Offline iceman1603

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 29, 2007, 07:37 PM »
First and last ice I keep it light and us a 6" strike hand auger.  6" and more I pull out the 8" strike master power..
Only the chosen few will walk on water.

Offline bonez

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you ain't fishin' or huntin' you ain't living!!
« Reply #24 on: Jan 29, 2007, 07:40 PM »
I use a FIN BORE III 7" and a 5" LASER, both work very well, when used corretly ;D
Harold Jr.       

Offline wildlifecaretaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 29, 2007, 07:54 PM »
I've only had and used 2 augers, so i'm definately not an expert on the matter. However, the first one i had was HORRIBLE. It was an 8" something and was a monster to get through the ice with. I got it brand new and half way through the yearit seemed like the blades were dull. I didn't know any better and just thought "that was how it was supposed to be..lol Then a got a 6" laser which was like going through butter with a hot knife comparably. I mostly fish for pike, so I don't do a lot of drilling unless we've sat someplace for half a day without anything and decide to move. Some days later in the season, I wouldn't even drill my 5 tip up holes with my original because with the ice thickness, it sucked just drilling one..lol So, I like the laser manual (if there's even a laser gas powered, i don't know) and think it would be fine for anyone unless you had medical problems that made it hard to turn anything.

Offline dbsturd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 29, 2007, 11:33 PM »
I bought a mora 8in in `87 and the thing is in perfect shape the only thing that out cuts it is the newer lazer.

Offline rbud3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 30, 2007, 12:29 AM »
6" Nils- Best I have tried-Being that this is the 4th auger
Hey Perch INC - Please explain what you use! :P

Offline stones21

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 30, 2007, 06:45 AM »
After watching no less than 3 guys curse and argue with their power augers this weekend.
I'll stick with my mora 5"

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #29 on: Jan 30, 2007, 08:25 AM »
Well i have a mora 8" for thin ice and bigger fish i have the 6" lazer for thin ice and little fish and i  have the 3hp 10" for thick ice and its old and runs like a champ.
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.