New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Vexless  (Read 2650 times)

Offline fishinfurkarma

• Team IceShanty Regular
Vexless
« on: Jan 24, 2007, 09:29 PM »
Hey, anyone use a standard fish finder to mark fish on the ice?  There's no way my wife is letting me by a Vex but can't a fish finder help you locate fish on an unfamilar lake?  I'm new so all lakes are unfamilar!!! ???

Offline iceman1603

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Vexless
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2007, 09:48 PM »
fishinfurkarma !!

If momma wont let ya buy a new one check out ebay or the swap sheets.  Heck Nothin says ya gotta start with the top of the line.  You can pick up a decent vex or marcum for just a few beans.  I used to fish with a hummingbird portable lcd.  It did the trick for me.
Only the chosen few will walk on water.

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2007, 09:49 PM »
Yes they will ;D
I bought a Genz Box about 10 years ago from Cabelas...and put a Hummingbird unit on it. It came with a rod and balance that the transducer mounted to under the ice. It was pretty much useful for depth and looking at structure...the unit I had mounted to it came off my boat and didn't have real time display.

You will be surprised what stuff like that will benefit you in that dark underworld ;D  Good Luck!!!!

Offline bigfish_1556

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2007, 09:53 PM »
Necessity is the mother of invention - and that's all I have to say about that.

-F. Gump

"A man is only as big as that which makes him angry" -Adlai Stevenson

Offline wayneo637

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2007, 03:32 AM »
I would look for a used vex. I dont recommend the marcum. I bought one for my girlfriend to use so I would have my vex back but returned it b/c it doesnt even come close the the vex.  I did use a bottom line fishing buddy or whatever the portable one they make is  a couple years ago and it worked alright.
WHEN HELL FREEZES OVER I'LL ICE FISH THERE TOO!!

Offline Chainsaw

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2007, 04:01 AM »
I use an old Hummin' Bird 128 Wide as a supplement when a bunch of us go out. It's an older LCD unit that has limitations, like on very cold days the display won't always respond, and you hafta remember that when you see a fish on the screen it's already gone by because of the time lapse 'twixt the transponder and the screen display. I made the transponder float level by fiddling with the foam stuff to make it float correctly. It should be made to float level.
I've seen these things go for as cheap as $40, and I use a small motorcycle battery, and set the whole outfit in a smalll plastic bucket. Be carefull with the battery though to make sure it don't leak and such. If you can afford it get a small gel battery like the vex uses, from J.C. Whitney catalog. A 7amp hour rated battery will last two days on the ice. It'll work if you work with it. Good luck and tight lines. :tipup:
All folks follow Chainsaws first law of diminishing enthusiasm, "Ya just hafta want to do some things more than others."

PWR BAIT

« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2007, 04:34 AM »
I use to use a fisheasy by eagle they work pretty good if you can find one they don't make that model anymore.I'm sure some one out there has one the might give up it has a display mode so you can see your lure also they don't work so good if your fishing around the vexes to much interference hope this helps. PWR BAIT

Offline Fire~n~Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2007, 07:41 AM »
Nothing beats a Vex! - With the release of the new FL-20 Model the "older" FL-8's are very reasonable in price, especially the used ones. I have seen the FL-8 SE used for a very reasonable price both on e-Bay or Craigslist, even at some stores. Start with the Vex, I promise you'll be happy you did! Tight Lines  :tipup:

Offline yearroundfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2007, 01:20 PM »
i got to go with ice medic on this one i just bought my first vex the fl 18 last years model i bought it off my partiner because beleive it or not he wanted to down size because it was too complicated haha it is by far the best fishig investment i have made for those who think the cameras are the best well last night i as out on sandy pond with my buddy who has a camera lets just say i told him so they do not work under water at night he bought the aqua veiwer the newest model paid more then i did for my vex for it not to do what it said it could do it sucked long story short the vex came in huge use last night. all i have to say is get one you will love it
Jon Sorendo

Offline Hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Take a kid fishing!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2007, 01:51 PM »
NO comparison!!!!!!!!  Find a used Vex!!

Offline brewmeister

• IceShanty Rookie
  • farm boy
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2007, 03:07 PM »
Hey, anyone use a standard fish finder to mark fish on the ice?  There's no way my wife is letting me by a Vex but can't a fish finder help you locate fish on an unfamilar lake?  I'm new so all lakes are unfamilar!!! ???
Stay vexless the thing is overrated ,my friend baught one and we used it, all you could see is lights blinking for the fish ,you cant see how big or what they were just get a fish finder or an aqua veiw or better yet find the fish with a cheap fish finder and check them out with the aqua veiw,all you have to know is at what depth the fish are at ,we sat for two seasons with the vex and were frustrated its overated old technology, we have fishfinders now,just use that 

Offline willbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ONTARIO NEW YORK
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2007, 03:36 PM »
I'll buy that junk vex from ya!!

Offline sounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2007, 04:14 PM »
My 2 cents vexless is fishless.

Offline kappydick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2007, 05:19 PM »
I don't own, and will never own, a vex.  I think it is a form of cheating.  Fish the old fashioned way, or don't go.  I think all that electronic crap makes it too easy for half-ass weekend warriors to claim to be real fisherman.  Don't give me one of those power augers, either.  I hate them things. 

Ice fishing is supposed to be for real men (and ladies), not a bunch of latte-slurpin' candy-asses.

Pokerman.

:'(

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2007, 05:24 PM »
I don't own, and will never own, a vex.  I think it is a form of cheating.  Fish the old fashioned way, or don't go.  I think all that electronic crap makes it too easy for half-ass weekend warriors to claim to be real fisherman.  Don't give me one of those power augers, either.  I hate them things. 

Ice fishing is supposed to be for real men (and ladies), not a bunch of latte-slurpin' candy-asses.

Pokerman.

Wow, what an intelligent comment... ::) Is this truely your philosophy, or just your excuse because you don't have any electronics?  ::) Hmmm...no power auger either, huh?  Jeeze, I'm surprised you even use an auger at all....Real men use spuds and axes... ::) :cookoo:

billybono

« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2007, 05:31 PM »
Stay vexless the thing is overrated ,my friend baught one and we used it, all you could see is lights blinking for the fish ,you cant see how big or what they were just get a fish finder or an aqua veiw or better yet find the fish with a cheap fish finder and check them out with the aqua veiw,all you have to know is at what depth the fish are at ,we sat for two seasons with the vex and were frustrated its overated old technology, we have fishfinders now,just use that 

billybono

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2007, 05:43 PM »
Oh, and one more thing....real fishermen go home with fish.  ;)2  >:D I don't think that sitting there staring at a hole, wondering if there's anything down there could really be considered more authentic fishing than looking at my Marcum or Aqua Vu and actually knowing what's going on.  ::) But that's just my opinion...

-Zach

Offline crappieslayer22

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • damn dinks
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2007, 05:46 PM »
Oh, and one more thing....real fishermen go home with fish.  ;)2  >:D I don't think that sitting there staring at a hole, wondering if there's anything down there could really be considered more authentic fishing than looking at my Marcum or Aqua Vu and actually knowing what's going on.  ::) But that's just my opinion...

-Zach

ill second that................. ;D
feel the power of the flasher!!!! :flex: :bow: :flex:
Loren W
ST.Croix
Iced Slabs
28 in walleye
15 in crappie
14 in perch
12 in golden shiner
25 in pickerel
11 1/4 in bluegill
6 1/2 pound largemouth
36 in lake trout

Offline pokerman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2007, 06:06 PM »

-Zach

If you measure real fisherman by how many fish they go home with, i don't think my point could be made any better.  Someday you might graduate to runnin' a trauler off the atlantic coast.

Offline crappieslayer22

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • damn dinks
« Reply #19 on: Jan 30, 2007, 06:14 PM »
If you measure real fisherman by how many fish they go home with, i don't think my point could be made any better.  Someday you might graduate to runnin' a trauler off the atlantic coast.

i would have vex or some sort of electronics there too ;)
Loren W
ST.Croix
Iced Slabs
28 in walleye
15 in crappie
14 in perch
12 in golden shiner
25 in pickerel
11 1/4 in bluegill
6 1/2 pound largemouth
36 in lake trout

Offline willbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ONTARIO NEW YORK
« Reply #20 on: Jan 30, 2007, 06:43 PM »

Yeah , there's no electronics on them traulers!!!! They usually just go out and drive around !! Real men would use a snorkel and spear out there!!!  ;D

Offline mattmull10

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Not bad, but i can do better!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 30, 2007, 06:59 PM »
attack a mans vex and the fight gets personal :%$#!: :%$#!:

I don't have one, don't have the cash for it right now stupid truck payment but i see one in the near future they are a good tool for fishing.

Matt
My new Motto for the New Year #@%& it i'm going fishing

Offline Mentiply

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 30, 2007, 07:18 PM »
Ever notice there is a pattern to most topics involving opinions?

1) Person asks questions

2) Opinions are given

3) Disagreements go nasty

4) Original topic is forever lost.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.