New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: 2007 Northern Challenge On Simon Pond  (Read 7412 times)

Offline bigbear138

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NYSDEC needs a big change.
2007 Northern Challenge On Simon Pond
« on: Jan 03, 2007, 05:27 PM »
Hello first time starting a topic but, is anyone entering the 2007 Simon Pond norther challenge.  I hope too see ice this year up there.  I was up that way over the new years weekend chasing the snowshoe rabbits, and there was just a light cover on the ice, although there was some snow on it too keep it insulated.  Well if anyone is going good luck and be safe  Don    :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
Stop complaining do something about it.

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
Re: 2007 Northern Challenge On Simon Pond
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2007, 06:44 PM »
looks like the only northern "challenge" going on around here is going to be a challenge to get some ice...............pics from last years challenge........

The Feast
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2007, 06:19 AM »
Bigbear,
Did you get any rabbits?  Where did you hunt?  As far as the Northern Challenge goes, it doesn't look good right now.  But, that can change very rapidly if it ever gets cold again.  Either way, we will hand out all the prizes and cash around noon.....ice or not!
Mike

Offline bigbear138

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NYSDEC needs a big change.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2007, 05:45 PM »
Hello 3beagles, out of 4 of us we got 3 rabbits and 8 grouse.  We jumped more grouse than ever before.  We hunted up in Newcomb and than took a ride too Simon pond too check it out..  I have been having pretty good luck at Lake George with the lakers, just been using dead baby suckers from shore and caught 5 this year so far.  Do you take part in that contest,  and where are the good spots on simon pond for the pike thanks Don
Stop complaining do something about it.

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2007, 09:43 PM »
Big bear,
I don't fish in it, but I help to put it on.  Right out in front of the club house is usually good.  But during the derby it is such a zoo that I would want to get further down the lake into a secluded spot if it was me fishing.  Just to get a little away from all  the constant activity.
Mike

Offline OZZY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2007, 06:03 PM »
How do you sign up for the Challenge?

camo_fish

« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2007, 06:32 PM »
If you guys have any info or contact info for the tourney, please PM Lonewolf, Bussman, IceShanty so that they can get the info into the NY tourney and news topic for everyone to view.

just like the grafton tourney here.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=25273.0

Thanks guys

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2007, 08:39 PM »
Go to:
tupperlakerodgunsports club.bravehost.com/northern_challenge.htm
You will find the rules and an application that you can fill out and send in.  Or, you can email me your address at
[email protected] and I will send you an application brochure.  Thanks for inquiring.  P.S. I am goin shopping tomorrow for some prizes!
Mike

Offline adkman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2007, 07:31 PM »
As 3 beagles said it doesn't look good for ice right now but one never knows.  In Tupper Lake if you wait 5 minutes the weather will change.  Mike is going to do some shopping tomorrow for some prizes and then I will finish up at Gander Mt in Plattsburg.  We did away with the less expensive prizes therefore the number of prizes handed out went down however the value of the prizes went up drastically.  The average value of the prizes last year averaged $150.  This year we have 2 360 ATV Kawasaki's 2 charters with Fish Doctor Charters already lined up.  Hope to see some of you there. 

PS If anyone has an Iceshanty.com flag bring it along and I will be happy to hang it on the prize trailer.  Just ask for Dave

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2007, 07:35 PM »
I just came from Saranac Lake and got a good look at Simon and Tupper....The wind has broken up most of the ice and has created piles of the broken ice along the shorelines.  :'( There were actually whitecaps today... :-\ I'll post the pic of the shoreline in a minute... :-\

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2007, 07:56 PM »

From the 2nd parking area from the south end...A sad sight indeed...  :'( You can see the open water at the top of the pic...and obviously we all know what that broken stuff is at the bottom...

-Zach

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2007, 10:55 PM »
listen, I have lived here for 22 years and i hope just like everyone else that there is ice for the challenge..... but what will you do with 6" of ice,1000 entries means at least 1350 people+ machines,if there is 6" in places that means in other places maybe only 3.5 or so. So you make it no machines........... you cant possibly hold a hourly derby with that... What about the guy way in the back of the lake that takes over an hour to walk to the wiegh in station??????????????? Pray to the ICE GODS.................. ...........
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline adkman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2007, 04:14 AM »
As stated in a previous post nypike if the ice isn't safe everyone meets at noon and all of the money, prizes, and ATV's are given out anyway. 

PS I have lived here for 40 years and have fished for most of them.  The last thing the club wants is someone to get hurt of drown.

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2007, 09:12 AM »
most definately it needs to be safe.I am wondering how much ice will it take for it to be deemed safe?Lot of people lot of machines.I am all for the derby I usually do pretty good in it,and right now I am "chomping at the bit"to get on some good ice....
Think cold, really,really cold.................. ...... :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2007, 01:08 PM »
Seems like way to many people for my likings.
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2007, 01:19 PM »
Airmancam,
Yeah, it is a lot of people!  No Doubt!  But there are also some awsome prizes to be given out, as well as a  lot of cash!  It will all be given away whether or not we have ice, but you have to be there to win.  There is still plenty of time to make enough ice if the weather will only cooperate.  Mike

Offline adkman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2007, 02:34 PM »
We are hoping for a good solid 10-12 inches of ice consistantly accross the posd to make it safe.  Unfortunatly you won't be able to tell until the last minuet what it will be.  Anyway if we can fish that's great if not well maybe next year.  Better be disappointed this year and be here next to fish.  Either way like Mike said there is some awsome prizes to be given away and even better friends to make.

camo_fish

« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2007, 07:38 AM »
ok guys here is the info in the right spot for ya.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=25273.0
2007 Northern Challenge is at the top and newly updated.  ;D

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2007, 12:13 PM »
Thanks for posting the Northern Challenge!
Mike

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 08, 2007, 01:30 PM »
Here are a few more pics of northern challenge.........
                                                                                                                                                     Looks like Jake has had enough Busch..

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 08, 2007, 08:02 PM »
Looks like a real good time! 8) Maybe you guys will  get on there if this weather actually gets colder. Lets hope!

Offline adkman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 09, 2007, 06:13 AM »
Segments of Northern Challenge 2006 will be on MT Lake tv on Saturday at 9 AM.

SHOW #201
CW Network Time Warner January 6, 2007 12:00 PM

NORTHERN CHALLENGE ICE FISHING AND CURLING AT LAKE PLACID

Join us as we kick off our second season with one of the largest ice fishing tournaments in the north country, The Northern Challenge on Lake Simond where prizes can be up to two ATV’s! We will also take a look at the ever increasing popularity of curling from the Lake Placid Arena in the second half of the show. In this show we start a new segment called the “tip of the week” and this weeks tip is on ice safety.

Offline hdqtrswp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 12, 2007, 03:18 AM »
ANY NEWS ON SIMOND POND

HOW THICK IS THE ICE

JUST TOOK THE WEEKEND OFF LOOKING FOWARD TO CONTEST   

Offline adkman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 12, 2007, 04:21 AM »
Got really cold here yesterday with the temps at 0.  No Wid and finally formed some ice.  We will need 10-12 inches of good solid ice for the derby.  Remember if we can't fish we gather at noon on the shoreline and give out everything anyway but you have to be present to win.  We will post the ice conditions again on Monday of this comming week.
Dave

Offline hdqtrswp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 13, 2007, 03:34 AM »
Dave thanks for the response and update

we will be taken the trip up north either way, i just looked at th weather for next 10 days, looks like it will be getting colder next week, and colder the week after... i  hope any way...

see you all then
                                                                           party on
                                                                                                Pat M

Offline adkman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 14, 2007, 03:21 PM »
Checked with some of the locals today and they report about 3 " in most spors.  Need to stay away from the channels and inlet/outlets.  With hardley any snow and weather reports of below 0 temps this comming week we should be getting some good ice.
Dave

Offline OZZY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 14, 2007, 06:10 PM »
Does anyone know what the final day is for signing up for the tourney? I'm already scheduled for the Trap Attack on the same weekend but if that gets cancelled again like last year I'd like to make it up to the "Challenge"  :tipup:

Offline adkman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 14, 2007, 07:08 PM »
You can sign up right up until the day of the derby as long as the registrations are under 1250.  This is the cut off for the number we allow.  You can contact me at 518-359-9715 the week before and check the registration total before you make the trip if you would like.
Dave

Offline OZZY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 14, 2007, 08:02 PM »
Thanks alot Dave, I appreciate the info and should be able to find more by the end of the week, pray for ice  :tipup:

Offline fitchy74

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 17, 2007, 10:31 PM »
how much ice on simonds pond really need to get my hopes up

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.