New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: lake george laker rookie needs help  (Read 3175 times)

Offline elkguide1107

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: lake george laker rookie needs help
« Reply #30 on: Mar 02, 2011, 06:11 PM »
Anybody ever want to make a friendly wager i'll fish with my jigging rod and flasher and you can have 5 tipups ............   i'll match whatever you want to wager   ;D

ill even give em 5 tipups AND 2 handlines!  :P
A bad day fishin' beats a good day of anything else (except elk hunting!)

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Mar 03, 2011, 03:45 AM »
OK guys & gals. Didn't mean to start this big controversy, was just lookin for some tips on how to fish lakers.Like the man said give the girls credit. They do ice lakers Ive seen the pics. It's not about who can out fish who its about helping each other out when questions are asked. Everyone has there own way of fishing. Stick with what works for you.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Mar 03, 2011, 06:00 AM »
hows your derby winnings this years

not too bad.... my daughter won the kids division of the chingacook tournament with her first ever laker  ;)

and so far i have the biggest laker of the year out of all my friends and fellow fisherpeople.....    ;D  .....  and close to 100 for the season including 23 fish all by myself one day   ..........   prior to jigging we managed one day with 6 fish and thought we were professionals... now 6 fish is a mediocre day

i'm not looking to start trouble by any means....   and this post SHOULD NOT be looked at as an attack .....  it is in response to a rookie trying to learn to catch lakers ...   and my opinion is that jigging is far more effective....  and the facts behind why i formed my opinion ....  and remember i didn't even bring up the flasher part

NOW.... after all that i will say that fishing with a flasher while sitting in a closed up shanty and the beautiful scenery of Lake George is right outside, unseen for the most part, leaves a little something to be desired .... 

And Ed.....  shouldn't you be telling everyone about Putnam Pond right now??   :o  ;D
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Mar 03, 2011, 06:12 AM »
OK guys & gals. Didn't mean to start this big controversy, was just lookin for some tips on how to fish lakers.Like the man said give the girls credit. They do ice lakers Ive seen the pics. It's not about who can out fish who its about helping each other out when questions are asked. Everyone has there own way of fishing. Stick with what works for you.

:clap: :thumbsup:  Something tells me you will find your best method!!

Offline 5watchman5

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whose idea was this anyway?
« Reply #34 on: Mar 03, 2011, 08:25 AM »
Alright, back to the thread.  If you want to jig up Lakers on LG, it's not rocket science.  My personal preference is an Eagle Claw jig rod, 8 pound test (mono) and a #7 Swedish pimple with nothing on it but Smelt oil.  I also have a Vex (doesn't matter what kind of flasher you have).  Anyway, assuming you don't have a flasher, simply drop your lure to the bottom and start jigging.  If you have no action, reel up a little ways and repeat.  Now mind you, these are the basics, but enough to get you started.  The only other bare essentials are a hand auger, and a skimmer and a 5 gallon bucket.  I like to keep things simple.  If you can't afford an auger, just fish in an area where alot of guys are fishing and abandoning their holes- this works esp. good at the end of the day when alot of guys have left the lake, leaving their holes behind.  If you want to get even cheaper, use the rod that you use in the summer.  The key ingredient is persistence.  In other words, keep your lure in the water as often as possible and results will follow.  Generally, you don't even have to set the hook, as the fish will do that for you when they slam the lure and turn.  My point is, these fish are not as mysterious as people make them out to be.  Sure, they are a wonderful trophy fish, but they're like all other fish in that they have to eat and they're not overly fussy.

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Mar 03, 2011, 06:15 PM »
thanks watchman. goin on sat. let you know how i did

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Mar 04, 2011, 04:44 PM »
sure we can  ;D  ....   and will!  :o

seriously though if you were in an area with a hot bite and got 13 on tipups we would have hammered em on the jigs .....

i have had two different friends make the statement that they do just fine with tipups....   then we fished together.....   and they are now jiggers

i get to my spot, drill a hole, setup my shanty and i am fishing.....    it takes a looooooong time to drill a hole, sound it, get the tipup baited and down in the water... then you get to do it again, and again, and again and then one last time .....       then reverse the process at the end of the day

after fishing both ways i am a convert

will never stop putting tip-ups out except for pannies..
I do admit electronics and jigging will keep one busy  :-\

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Mar 04, 2011, 05:16 PM »
Alright, back to the thread.  If you want to jig up Lakers on LG, it's not rocket science.  My personal preference is an Eagle Claw jig rod, 8 pound test (mono) and a #7 Swedish pimple with nothing on it but Smelt oil.  I also have a Vex (doesn't matter what kind of flasher you have).  Anyway, assuming you don't have a flasher, simply drop your lure to the bottom and start jigging.  If you have no action, reel up a little ways and repeat.  Now mind you, these are the basics, but enough to get you started.  The only other bare essentials are a hand auger, and a skimmer and a 5 gallon bucket.  I like to keep things simple.  If you can't afford an auger, just fish in an area where alot of guys are fishing and abandoning their holes- this works esp. good at the end of the day when alot of guys have left the lake, leaving their holes behind.  If you want to get even cheaper, use the rod that you use in the summer.  The key ingredient is persistence.  In other words, keep your lure in the water as often as possible and results will follow.  Generally, you don't even have to set the hook, as the fish will do that for you when they slam the lure and turn.  My point is, these fish are not as mysterious as people make them out to be.  Sure, they are a wonderful trophy fish, but they're like all other fish in that they have to eat and they're not overly fussy.

That is a great answer to the original question, Thank you.

Offline 5watchman5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Mar 04, 2011, 08:41 PM »
Thanks Celt, I'm not a pro by any means, just trying to help the guy. 

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Mar 05, 2011, 07:12 PM »
ok people i said i would post how i did on my maiden  gettin serious voyage about fishing lakers turned out.You might want to call it beginners luck. Took all the good tips that were given and want to thank eveeryone.Went to Hearthstone in 100ft and caught 3 at various depths. with 2 beeing keepers.   :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: :icefish: ;D :tipup: Had a great day. Thanks

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Mar 05, 2011, 07:30 PM »
Congrats!! Sure is fun when all the work pays off.
I was pretty sure you would get some!!

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Mar 05, 2011, 07:53 PM »
 :clap: :thumbsup: :clap: Nice !!!

Offline sinkergurl

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing makes me happy
« Reply #42 on: Mar 05, 2011, 10:09 PM »
whoooaa slow down there sinkergirl.  You had a nice weekend and congrats.  you still have a bit to learn.  Don't get cocky on us.  Just when you think you have it figured out things change. Thats fishing. ;D   Try fishing lakers with 20 mph winds at 15 degrees.  Your hands will be cold.  A flasher is a big help.  I would rig a couple for salmon and 2 or 3 tipups for lakers depending on the weather. :tipup:

I'm sorry you perceived I was being cocky. If you knew me you would not have read what I wrote in that manner. I can see why you might have thought that too. My excitement over our success it was still evident in my post. I am STILL amazed and happy that I finally caught a Laker. I was trying to help him  keep an open mind about tipups and lakers  without  any electronics and how much fun and successful you can be he old school way.:)
FJB

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Mar 06, 2011, 06:10 AM »
Hey sinkergurl. Congrats  on your first laker. Man what a feeling seeing that thing come through the ice. Don't pay attention to the guys with the no nonsense remarks. If we listen to them we would give up and never catch fish. Caught my first yesterday and will be back to try it again. All the tips on here helped me alot. Can't wait to put them in the smoker. ;D :)

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Mar 06, 2011, 08:47 AM »
Congrats AJ.

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Mar 06, 2011, 09:24 AM »
Congrats AJ.
Thank you Celt6. Your tips along with the others made it a memorable day. Gonna get out again before the ice is gone to do it again. Can't wait :clap: :thumbsup: :icefish:

Offline ultimate tire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Mar 06, 2011, 09:37 AM »
Congrads to AJ and Sinkergurl. I remember the first time i caught my first laker on a tip up and jigging. What a feeling.

Offline sinkergurl

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing makes me happy
« Reply #47 on: Mar 06, 2011, 12:32 PM »
Hey sinkergurl. Congrats  on your first laker. Man what a feeling seeing that thing come through the ice. Don't pay attention to the guys with the no nonsense remarks. If we listen to them we would give up and never catch fish. Caught my first yesterday and will be back to try it again. All the tips on here helped me alot. Can't wait to put them in the smoker. ;D :)

Wow! Smoked trout?? I bet they will taste amazing. And like you I have learned so much from here from those willing to share their knowledge. My success is really their success too. I am a forever learner ...you can never know too much :) Happy fishing!!
FJB

Offline eye hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Mar 06, 2011, 01:10 PM »
Sinkergirl, Congrats on your laker catch. A week ago I had my grandson out and he caught his first laker on a super ul stick while fishing for perch. The laker was 25 " Just the look on his face when the fish made its first run will be a memory in my mind the rest of my fishing days.  ;D

Offline 5watchman5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Mar 06, 2011, 03:15 PM »
Congrats Aj454!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.