The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 872 times)

Offline Jayice

• IceShanty Rookie
« on: Jan 03, 2018, 01:28 AM »
This is my first  time ever Ice fishing  I have a power augur on layaway  I was wondering what y'all may think is some nice budget  priced gear I have two ice combos one for jiging the other for live bait running I don't think I'll be able to afford a flasher this year but I'd be happy for all advice thanks everyone

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2018, 03:28 AM »
If you don't already have them ice picks and a spud bar don't leave home with out them!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Jayice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2018, 04:17 AM »
Thanks a lot I'll get the ones that seemed  priced good

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2018, 06:30 AM »

Flasher is one of the biggest game changer for ice fishing.  After getting one, it becomes a requirement.  Without a flasher, you will need to have something to measure water depth.  Old peg style fishing rods are great.  Peg's were about 12" so each wraps is two feet.

I remember when I started, warmer days of right around 30F or more. Shelter and heater are next on list.  Because it will extend your time out there.  Shelter to get out of the wind and heater for colder days.  We can't always pick the right weather to fish in.  Work comes first to pay the bills.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2018, 07:27 AM »
Before electronics we use to use this method.Take a tape measure in both hands and stretch it out as far as you can and read the length. Gives you a good idea what depth to set your bait.  My length was 65 in. I still use this as guide when tying leaders.
Oops! is too late.

Offline Jayice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2018, 08:12 AM »
Thanks a lot guys I forgot to mention I have a propane heater on layaway too I put it on same time as gas augur do heaters work as well with out tent I'm in Minnesota  so I know I will have to get one eventually

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2018, 08:07 AM »
Heater outside is going to depend on the style and the weather.  The portable Mr Heaters probably aren't going to work too well outside.  The Sunflower style that mount to the top of the 20lb tanks are what we have used in the past.  Outside you are going to want a unit that puts out alot of BTU's.
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline Jayice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2018, 11:02 AM »
I think it fits two cans I believe there 1pound cans

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2018, 01:21 PM »
Two tanks is probably the Big Buddy Heater.  You will go thru a lot of propane bottles sitting outside.  Now, this is weather dependent, but you get the idea.  The warmer you want it - the faster you go thru propane.  You may want to look into using a larger tank - 20 lber and hook up a hose to it.  Don't forget about the filter/regulator to hook up to the heater.
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2018, 04:38 PM »
By the way, welcome to the Shanty :thumbsup:

WS

Offline Jayice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2018, 05:10 PM »
Thanks a lot guys I just don't want my hands to put me out of the game early I really want to catch my first ice fish this year  and with work I know  I will

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.