Author Topic: Techinque  (Read 3069 times)

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Techinque
« on: Mar 02, 2014, 07:23 PM »
I have been doing allot of jigging lately trying to get better at it, and I seem to have trouble getting them to commit.  Ive tried dead sticking, trembling the jig, hard jigging, and they seem to come up to the jig, and swim away.  Ive tried different jigs, colors, and baits.  Any advice? 
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Techinque
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2014, 07:35 PM »
With Crappies and panfish ....make sure your horizontal jigs are truly horizontal...repositio n if not ....also use alot of glow jigs ....most can't resist a waxworm ...on a white lindy ice worm ....also jig down ..meaning start from the top and jig a lil ..drop a lil ...you'll see the most aggressive fish move up toward your jig ....haili's with minnows or waxes are great for perch (more towards the bottom) ....but do work on panfish using the same method  as I mentioned .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2014, 09:05 PM »
I tried spikes and minnows, at different cadences to no avail. I did manage to get a nice one mid depth tho, but had allot of lookers and no takers on the bottom reguardless of jig or bait.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2014, 06:57 AM »
Are you using a flasher KB ? Also find the basin ( deepest parts of the lake even a slight difference makes the difference) this will be mostly where the crappie and gills will be ...perch are fish of the flats ...so find the flats...  if you can locate these areas on the northern shore or near an inlet thats even better ....I've had sucess usig a Lindy darter to make some noise ...to bring them in ...then present my jigs....also use of a dead stick is nice as there is always something moving near your jig presentation ....also are you using a swivel ....spining baits = 's no fish
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2014, 03:51 PM »
If I'm on neutral perch I move. Usually drop a hali down for the agressive biters then follow up w/ 3mm tungsten.  Don't have the patience to finesse perch lol
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2014, 04:11 PM »
Yes I am.  My LX5 is letting me know that I have lookers, but no takers.  Im finding them, but they seem to get finicky at times.

Next weekend Ill put your suggestions to the test.  In the mean time, keep them coming!

Thanks

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2014, 04:51 PM »
Finesse sometimes is the only answer for the moment. If you've found them on a decent sized body of water you've accomplished a lot, give them something that they'll at least taste briefly. Have had my camera down deep watching them and even jumbos can come up, mouth jig for awhile and spit it out. The line, springbobber or whatever doesn't even twitch even with fluoro and tungsten. Flasher showed the approach, the stare down and then the back away and isn't designed for what it missed. Happens more often than most think when the aggressive bite isn't on. You found them, often the hardest part, just keep showing them something until they're satisfied   

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2014, 04:55 PM »
Ill have to drag my camera out next time

Offline Glowjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2014, 12:23 AM »
I usually jig fairly aggressively until I get a fish interested and rising for my jig. Once they are coming after it I stop with the erratic jigging and just slowly raise my rod tip and watch the fish follow it up. When I am sure the fish is going to commit and come meet my jig I pause completely not moving the rod at all and stare at my rod tip. I usually use a small #3 fiska tipped with a small piece of meal worm. Sometimes I use perch eyes. I have tried using only plastics but I find that I do better for perch when using bait. Crappie seem to like the plastics a lot better than perch in the lakes I fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.