Author Topic: Strikemaster -vs- Jiffy  (Read 3007 times)

Offline lake snake

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Strikemaster -vs- Jiffy
« Reply #30 on: Dec 30, 2008, 02:27 PM »
 Neither of those. Nils Master all the way.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #31 on: Dec 30, 2008, 04:56 PM »
You might want to delete that part about Jiffy being made in the USA and not China.  Since Tecumseh was bought out this past year, all the auger companies had to find another resource to produce the 2 stroke engines for them.  Guess what country is now producing the engines for Jiffy...
My guess is Japan . Right??? Huh? Huh?  ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Dec 30, 2008, 05:19 PM »
I'm not sure about the older stuff, but when I was out last week, I saw on the Strikemaster box "Made in China".  And on the Jiffy's box, I saw "made in USA"
maybe it's teh "box" which is made in china!  :laugh: :laugh: :woot: :roflmao: :roflmao: :thumbsup: :bow:

Offline CJiceaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Dec 30, 2008, 05:23 PM »
I have had a 9m inch Jiffy 3HP model for 5 years now- Before that I had an old jiffy 10inch 3hp model. I love it, it is always reliable but is definatley a massive workout if you are cutting holes for more than 2 people (6 holes pp in NH) I really like the jiffy but when I go get another auger I'm probably going to go with something lighter

CJ

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #34 on: Dec 30, 2008, 06:11 PM »
Im thinking that technology is going to come into play in the next two years and there will be a plethora of good-performing electrics and 4-cycles that are "light-weight", on the market - therefore I am keeping my 10" 3HP Jiffy and waiting.  Then I'm going to "still" keep my 3HP 10" Jiffy for those years when we get 30 + inches of ice and I want to cut holes all day long.  ;D

Offline needice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 30, 2008, 08:03 PM »
We have used a jiffy 3 hp for years.yes loud,powerful,thank god for 2 handles so two guys can operate,awesome power not two bad with two guys if doing a lot of holes.If fishing lots of thick ice all the time great.I picked up a strikemaster last year,cut hundreds of holes,seemed great so far,it is way lighter and is powerful.I have 3 friends with jiffys one with an old eskimo and one with a old strikemaster.They all bring theres but as soon after all are using mine.the new augers being lightweight are awesome regardless of brand,as a matter of factI was going to purchase the new jiffy stxpro due to there known experience with me but they were out.Bought the strikemaster and am a happy camper.either one you can't go wrong unless you get a "lemon" or don't use properly.

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #36 on: Dec 30, 2008, 08:06 PM »
Jiffy Model 30

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Dec 30, 2008, 09:32 PM »
I own the Strikemaster Lazer and it is very lightweight.  I've picked up Jiffys.  They seem a lot heavier.  Mine cuts fine and I've had no problems so far.  To each his own. 
When I'm dragging all my gear out on the ice I try to watch the weight.  Having a heavy auger is not something I "choose" to deal with.
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Dec 30, 2008, 09:51 PM »
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 30, 2008, 10:01 PM »
Neither of those. Nils Master all the way.

Amen......... 22 pounds, all steel construction and a mean ice eating machine.

Offline 7lazy77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO POKES!
« Reply #40 on: Dec 31, 2008, 12:31 AM »
Jiffy....all the way!  I have an older model & it starts right up at the beginning of every season.

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #41 on: Dec 31, 2008, 01:47 AM »
If you had the choice, would you buy a Jiffy that was made in USA or a strikemaster that was made in China??  It still bothers me that people will choose stuff made in China and then wonder why they, or their family, lost their jobs...  See the connection??

Cmon now are you saying you buy nothing from china I really doubt it. I buy what I like no matter who makes it. You can blame the downfall on the unions look at the auto industry they have outpriced their cars and now the unions have refused to cut back their pay to save their company. I own a strikemaster because the price was right and it is lighter than the jiffy works just as well in my opinion. If anyone can say they buy nothing from china then they are lying most of our goods are made in china sad but true until Americans wake up and start producing some of our own goods for reasonable pay we are screwed.

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #42 on: Dec 31, 2008, 04:40 AM »
Cmon now are you saying you buy nothing from china I really doubt it. I buy what I like no matter who makes it. You can blame the downfall on the unions look at the auto industry they have outpriced their cars and now the unions have refused to cut back their pay to save their company. I own a strikemaster because the price was right and it is lighter than the jiffy works just as well in my opinion. If anyone can say they buy nothing from china then they are lying most of our goods are made in china sad but true until Americans wake up and start producing some of our own goods for reasonable pay we are screwed.

Of course everyone owns something from China.  What i am saying is, if you have a choice between the two, which do you pick?  I wish USA could make stuff as cheap as China, but the fact is, you cannot compare the two.  Look at some of the labor standards they have in China..oh wait, there are NONE.  So of course its gonna be cheaper.  but just because its cheaper, thats the only factor that sways your decision???
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #43 on: Dec 31, 2008, 05:31 AM »
alot of nonunion comp. almost all tackle com. saltwater ,fresh and ice are made over seas leaf springs on the ford I used to own were made in mexico,  comp. just bailed for the money ps I haved a strike master now but I owned a jiffy they both cut like crazy

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #44 on: Dec 31, 2008, 06:05 AM »
I own a 12 year old jiffy 3 hp and a 4 year old strikemaster mag 2000. Both have there place. The strikemaster's recoil busted first time out and destroyed recoil and flywheel. Took it to a local tecumseh repair shop to be fixed under warrantee and strikemaster sent me a brand new auger via ups. Cannot complain there. Never had any problems with new one. As stated the sm is so much lighter than jiffy, But it is only 2 hp. Up here we get  serious ice- up to 4' sometimes. When it gets over 18" only auger that goes out is jiffy. Much more powerful and its weight makes drilling thick ice easier. Weight does not matter then because either snowmachine or pickup is drove out on lake anyway. I have seen some REALLY OLD jiffys on the ice. If I had to own just one it would be a jiffy 30 with the older carb you could adjust and run amsoil sabre at 50-1. Think it would outlast me.   Steve

Offline getnjiggywithit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 31, 2008, 07:41 AM »
I use a 10" husqvarna  thats 4years old with easily 12000-15000 holes cut ( and not 10-12" ice either i'm talking 2-3feet plus) and it still works like new!  In the past 15years ive burned out two 10" jiffy's!  the motors held up ok but the gear cases would blow apart on me!  The first jiffy lasted longer  about 7years  but the last one only lasted 3 years and the gear case blew up on me.  I you can find one of the older ones they are much better than the new ones ,but are also heavier!  My husky weighs about 24lbs and has enough torque to rip your arms out of their sockets! The husqvarna is by for the best auger ive ever used!
Ive never owned a strike master but the ones ive seen worked seemed to work about the same as the jiffy's....although ive seen a few broken ones on the ice....
good luck

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #46 on: Dec 31, 2008, 07:59 AM »
i have to tell you guys,i have been useing a strikemaster for seven years now and haven"t had one issue yet.in fact, it is the exact same way it was when i took it out of the box,the same exact way!!!!!!! i have never taken the gas out at the end of the season, never changed the plug or even cleaned the filter yet. i do have anything i need if something goes wrong but it has been completely flawless.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline caddy084

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Dec 31, 2008, 08:18 AM »
I have a Strikemaster Lazer Mag that is 4 years old and I love it. I never had to do anything to it except add gas. As for the made in the USA thing, it was made in Big Lake, Minnasota. I don't know where they are made anymore, but the one I own has been a great auger and wouldnt trade it for any other.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #48 on: Dec 31, 2008, 09:32 AM »
NEITHER!!  Nils master all the ways, weighs half as much cuts twice as fast!!

if i was to have a backup it would be a SM 2hp lazer.

jiffys weigh too much and the new ones (newer than 1990) are unreliable in my experience - clutch problems, carb problems, blade problems, tranny problems...no thanks... the older jiffys though, especially the ones with the old style handles are tanks and i bet most of those older ones still run perfectly to this day.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.