Author Topic: Fishing R.M.N.P. lakes.  (Read 4406 times)

Offline NoLimitSoldier

• IceShanty Rookie
Fishing R.M.N.P. lakes.
« on: Jan 26, 2006, 12:13 PM »
 I am a Saskatchewan resident but have officially adopted Manitoba as my home away from home. You have a beautiful province, it's like a cross between Sask. and B.C. You get the clear lakes, endless maze of creeks,streams and rivers and a diverse and beautiful forest. Amazing province if your a nature lover.
 I spend a portion of my summers in Riding Mountain National Park and am always excited to get back and continue exploring the lakes and rivers in the park and just outside. I find Clear Lake itself very tough to fish but I catch my biggest fish there. There are some HUGE Pike in that gorgeous lake. Good structure and it appears lots of food. I am actually more intrigued by some of the other smaller lakes, Whirlpool and Moon being my favourite so far. These lakes seem loaded with 2-5lb. Pike but seldom anything worth shouting about. The numbers are there though. We caught over 60 Pike in ONE DAY between the 3 of us on each of those lakes. The fish hit non-stop, to the point where your actually pulling the hook away from the smaller fish if you can see them coming.
 Anyways:
 1) Has anyone pulled something decent out of any of the lesser known lakes in the Park?
 2) Is there a decent Perch population in Clear or any other lake?
 3) There is a beautiful little lake off the highway between Clear Lake and Dauphin. It's smaller than a football field and I was told by some locals that it's over 60' deep! Any truth to this?
 Thanks for your insight and take care of your Province. Other than Winnipeg, it's heaven on earth.
 ( This is not a slam on anyone from Winnipeg, just the city itself. It's just a bigger version of Regina with the same crime rate and problems. Reminds me too much of home, the last place I want on vacation.)
Any tosser can catch a little, sissyfin Walleye.
 Walleye suck, and Perch suck-off Walleye.
 I only fish for monster Pike, the kind that scare you right off the Walleye trail!

grumpymoe

Re: Fishing R.M.N.P. lakes.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2006, 12:27 PM »
welcome to Iceshanty NoLimitSoldier.....you'll enjoy yourself here....I actually live in Riding Mountain and the shack should have been on Clear Lake this winter except for a very late freeze and good thick ice.....going to be on the lake this saturday and hope to ice some trout, whitefish and hopefully some northern....its 50km door to the lake from the house....I'm fully prepared with lures, but if you dont mind, let me know what your killer was or is....not too sure about which small lake you're talking about on the way to Dauphin but someone will surely post.....enjoy IS.....Grump

Offline Jiffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2006, 12:29 PM »
Welcome aboard man great to have ya here you are right it is a beautiful province like wer have 20' wide creek 1 mile away and caught 20 Pike in 3 hrs biggest was 22''.It is great. ;D ;D ;D
Jaymes Hiebert

Humminbird - Jiffy - Clam Corp - Mr. Heater - Berkely

Offline scottymac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2006, 01:22 PM »
Hey grump. 

Where are you fishing clear on sat.  By wannacumbac?  I may be out there and my new goal for clear is a laker. Summer or winter doesn't matter.    What are you using for them and where.  i heard wannacumbac is producing a few walleyes, but not real steady.  May be buying a skidoo today, and if i doo i will be all over the lake, testing dift spots.  Skidoos are allowed there, aren't they? 

nolimit soldier, there is several lakes that are going to be strong like that.  I have been by that small lake several time and allways wondered.  Try audy for pike. the action is just as fast, but there are bigger ones as well.  42.5 and 44 on new years eve there

grumpymoe

« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2006, 01:33 PM »
as far as I know there are no sleds allowed in the park....the lake may be a different story. however, I would suggest phoning the park office and make sure......Grump

Offline snopro31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2006, 01:49 PM »
a while back i wondered the same thing when i saw don lamont on clear lake with a sled.  but you can use a sled on the lake.  that is what i heard but phone the park office first.

Offline scottymac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2006, 01:53 PM »
thanks guys.   No word on wich area you are fishing at clear lake grump?

grumpymoe

« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2006, 02:17 PM »
likely the bay just by the golf course....Grump  ;D

Offline scottymac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2006, 03:09 PM »
caught lots of jack and whitefish there last year in the south corner summer and winter.  walleye seem to be a little farther down to the west in the summer, nt sure about winter. Do you think the lakers will be in that area?

Offline scottymac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2006, 03:29 PM »
Just talked to the park.  Sno mobiles are allowed on clear lake.  He said there is some walleye and whitefish action on the west end (rock pile). and slow walleye action at wannacumback. let me know how you make out sat.

good luck, may see you out there

Offline NoLimitSoldier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2006, 07:09 PM »
welcome to Iceshanty NoLimitSoldier.....you'll enjoy yourself here....I actually live in Riding Mountain and the shack should have been on Clear Lake this winter except for a very late freeze and good thick ice.....going to be on the lake this saturday and hope to ice some trout, whitefish and hopefully some northern....its 50km door to the lake from the house....I'm fully prepared with lures, but if you dont mind, let me know what your killer was or is....not too sure about which small lake you're talking about on the way to Dauphin but someone will surely post.....enjoy IS.....Grump
I find the best lure for the Pike in Whirlpool and Moon lakes is a gold finish 00 Len Thompson spoon. Hard to find but if I'm headed to Manitoba I grab at least 8 of those and a few blue/silver's. Also, the Pike in Audy creek and Gertrude Lake were fighting eachother for my Chartreuse Blue Fox Vibrax spinners, same as in Sask. The little lake on the way to Dauphin is called Grayling Lake. It is pretty small but looks really deep, although if it were 60', it would have to basically be a big pit?
 Also Grump, is Lake Katherine a dead lake or is there any fish left. I was told it had been netted clean by the natives that own the land on one side? I fished it for 15mins. and nothing but some kids told me there is supposed to be Perch there and I see a creek at one end coming in or going out at the far end.
Any tosser can catch a little, sissyfin Walleye.
 Walleye suck, and Perch suck-off Walleye.
 I only fish for monster Pike, the kind that scare you right off the Walleye trail!

grumpymoe

« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2006, 07:16 PM »
NLS.....the only reports are pretty much non-existent as far as RMNP go.....not a pressured fishery..(until this coming weekend...lmao).....Lake Katherine is a water that I've personally never heard a peep of......Whirlpool looks like an interesting spot to walk in to......(blocked now at #19 for the winter).......one of the most interesting spots would be Lake Audy.....HUGE northern reports.....just might give it a try this coming weekend.....hang tight.....and again...great to have you aboard.....Grump :thumbsup:

Offline scottymac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2006, 10:51 AM »
my father in law was up at audy over the last couple of days.  He was only able to walk straight out from the launch. tough walking as water under the snow, so he didn't walk to far.  not real quik, but each day had about 5 or 6 with one 32" and one 36".  Patterson 2 days ago netted 1 16" rainbow and 2 big ones lost at the hole.

Offline jeremyw111

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2006, 01:18 PM »
I remember being at riding mountain national park a few years back, and there was a lake there that was producing quite a few perch.  Does anybody know which lake that is

Offline scottymac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2006, 01:31 PM »
Clear lake is the only one i know that has them in the park, but haven't caught them for a few years now.  Haven't been trying for them though.  Lake audy used to and the park regulations say it does, but i don't think they have survived with that high of a pike poulation.

Offline jeremyw111

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2006, 01:59 PM »
lake audy sounds like the right lake, I guess there were just a few too many pike

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.